[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Yo @CobaltWolf- while you’re working on the subject of the S-IB engine mount- would you consider an alternate history configuration (never proposed as far as I can tell) for removing the outer 4 engine mounts?

I was messing around with a Saturn 1B with 4x UA-1205 boosters for launching USAF Lunar Gemini, and found that it was optimal to use only the inboard engines (longer burn time with still good TWR). I used the engines with gimbals btw, but in real life it would probably use LR-101s to avoid larger changes to accommodate the gimbals.

This was a real thing I believe, if anyone has any primary sources (or secondary! Not just Astronautix/Wikipedia), I’d love to see!

http://www.astronautix.com/s/saturnib-d.html

Spoiler

Maybe also a tank length stretch for INT-11?

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

9 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Yo @CobaltWolf- while you’re working on the subject of the S-IB engine mount- would you consider an alternate history configuration (never proposed as far as I can tell) for removing the outer 4 engine mounts?

I was messing around with a Saturn 1B with 4x UA-1205 boosters for launching USAF Lunar Gemini, and found that it was optimal to use only the inboard engines (longer burn time with still good TWR). I used the engines with gimbals btw, but in real life it would probably use LR-101s to avoid larger changes to accommodate the gimbals.

This was a real thing I believe, if anyone has any primary sources (or secondary! Not just Astronautix/Wikipedia), I’d love to see!

I'm not planning on making a mount that removes the outer engine mounts, but you'd be able to use the 4x mount for the E-1s once that's available!

1 hour ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

I have to say, I love these shots!

S-IC Separation

4BlTAKq.png

Transposition and Docking

0b3GtRZ.png

Configured for TVI

hXKcDDF.png

Flyby!

GLd23Iq.png

Entry Probe Deployed

wyZ2qQ3.png

Love it! Did the entry probe survive long enough to gather anything useful? I havent really done much with it balance wise yet.

1 hour ago, MashAndBangers said:

Post the full instructions on how to fork a repo.

On the top right next to the Watch and Star options, click Fork and let Github go through the process. After that, go to the settings of your now forked repo (next to insights), and go to Branches. Where it says "master", go to the arrows on the right side of that section, which should say "Switch to another branch" when hovered over. Click that, select the drop down menu, and select the Apollo revamp branch, and click update. :)

Forgot to mention! After changing the main branch, you can now download the zip for use from the code section. Not sure if I made that obvious.

Edited by mariagorl
Edit: Forgot to mention that you can download the zip after forking and changing the main branch.

6 minutes ago, mariagorl said:

On the top right next to the Watch and Star options, click Fork and let Github go through the process. After that, go to the settings of your now forked repo (next to insights), and go to Branches. Where it says "master", go to the arrows on the right side of that section, which should say "Switch to another branch" when hovered over. Click that, select the drop down menu, and select the Apollo revamp branch, and click update. :)

Forgot to mention! After changing the main branch, you can now download the zip for use from the code section. Not sure if I made that obvious.

Thank you very much. everything was understandable. 

2 hours ago, Zorg said:
4 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Love it! Did the entry probe survive long enough to gather anything useful? I havent really done much with it balance wise yet.

Thanks!

It easily survived Reentry, but it exploded on impact. It was going at like 25ish m/s in the atmosphere 

Just now, Adam-Kerman said:

how did get the black bottom area of S-IVB, is it there and I'm missing it or ?

I spent something like an hour making it in KSP with conformal decals, basically:

-first you take a text conformal decal, put an arbitrary number of "A"s  in bold as the text and make the text ad wide as possible so that the decal becomes a square

- duplicate the decal

- make one of the decals of the intended colour which goes above the other one;

- make the other decal of a slightly lighter colour, but this time also reduce edge wear to zero. This one goes under the previous decal and provides the right background colour to the parts of the texture that should stand up

For making a decal going above the other, usually duplicating the decal you want to be above and using the duplicate is enough, but it doesn't work 100% of the times. I hope it helps!

1 hour ago, Adam-Kerman said:

how did get the black bottom area of S-IVB, is it there and I'm missing it or ?

58 minutes ago, Beccab said:

I spent something like an hour making it in KSP with conformal decals, basically:

-first you take a text conformal decal, put an arbitrary number of "A"s  in bold as the text and make the text ad wide as possible so that the decal becomes a square

- duplicate the decal

- make one of the decals of the intended colour which goes above the other one;

- make the other decal of a slightly lighter colour, but this time also reduce edge wear to zero. This one goes under the previous decal and provides the right background colour to the parts of the texture that should stand up

For making a decal going above the other, usually duplicating the decal you want to be above and using the duplicate is enough, but it doesn't work 100% of the times. I hope it helps!

It's on my to-do list.

Speaking of...

NGnVPdX.png