[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, Hay said:

This one has even more taper/bell nozzles than Saturn V ; )

This is honestly the reason I don't want to make C-8 - it's a bunch of new diameters of tanks and stuff that would all need to be expanded to do anything more than the basic C-8 configuration. I'm more interested in focusing on "uprated Saturn V" because that sorta just adds to what you can already make, without killing myself too much? Trust me, you'll be able to get some ludicrous builds by the time we're done...

On 10/16/2021 at 10:57 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

?! No waterfall!

HA!  I didn't even notice.   I had issues the previous itteration of the update with ZERO effects.  Now I have no waterfall effects and the Old school partical stuff... will look at fixing that ASAP!

On 10/19/2021 at 8:58 AM, birdog357 said:

It only lists Titan as built. Keep in mind this is only a catalog of in-service equipment or equipment that is ordered and will soon be in-service. After I have scanned all pertinent info and returned it, I'll request the 63-64 edition. We might find the info there. Could you go back to your original source and see if they have anymore to add? The index does show a reference to the S-3D on page 517 of the 61-62 edition. 

naw don't fret over it.  You have the exact edition my source mentions.   

Yet again a source cite that has nothing to do with the source or the cited materials

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

This is honestly the reason I don't want to make C-8 - it's a bunch of new diameters of tanks and stuff that would all need to be expanded to do anything more than the basic C-8 configuration. I'm more interested in focusing on "uprated Saturn V" because that sorta just adds to what you can already make, without killing myself too much? Trust me, you'll be able to get some ludicrous builds by the time we're done...

OPINION:    The only way Saturn C-8 makes sense is if there is an actual Nova Parts pack as several Nova Rockets used similar diameters (or larger) than the Saturn C-8.      Who, not already on the BDB team, wants to volunteer to build that?

FACT:   There is not enough HARD design work on the C-8 or the Nova rockets for most artists to be willing to take much of a stab at them.   If you were to somehow get 10 artists of the caliber of Cobalt, Zorg, InvaderChaos, Estreet, Beale, Nertea etc to all do the exact same Nova Rocket, none would look like any of the others except in general outline.    If you took the same crew and said "Make Saturn V"  They would all be broadly identical with only nuance and minor amounts of difference between them.      Why?   Because much of the detail that we love in mods like BDB comes from actual design drawings, not the artists imagination.     These amazing and wonderful artists spend all their efforts in getting the models right.     Utilizing a drawing, a picture or even a toy to get the information correct is a completely different process than magically guessing what it should look like and having it be right.

Mind you convincing that many artists to all make the same thing for KSP would be rather wasteful.

ALSO:  THANKS to everyone jumping on the Saturn C-8 is Not a Nova :D

Edited by Pappystein

If you want to make a Saturn C-8, just get SpaceY & SpaceY Expanded. They're older mods, but are fully compatible with 1.12 KSP.  SpaceY Expanded has 7.5m parts and adapters, which could allow you to fudge a C-8, though the differing art quality would clash with BDB.

20 minutes ago, Wahgineer said:

If you want to make a Saturn C-8, just get SpaceY & SpaceY Expanded. They're older mods, but are fully compatible with 1.12 KSP.  SpaceY Expanded has 7.5m parts and adapters, which could allow you to fudge a C-8, though the differing art quality would clash with BDB.

You could also use Near Future Launch Vehicles which includes 7.5m parts with art that better matches BDB. 

10 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

You could also use Near Future Launch Vehicles which includes 7.5m parts with art that better matches BDB. 

That too. I've been playing KSP too long, I keep recommending mods that are probably discontinued.

What's going on with the mod right now? I heard something about a Saturn family rework?

1 hour ago, Wahgineer said:

What's going on with the mod right now? I heard something about a Saturn family rework?

At the moment the Saturn parts are being revamped with new models and textures. This also includes Skylab. There have also been some new probes by @Invaderchaos that will probably be released at the same time the Saturn revamp is.

16 minutes ago, faze pope said:

are there no parts that correspond to the saturn C build guides on the wiki?

****WHICH**** Saturn C are you looking for.   C-1 and C-2are buildable and Mostly buildable (for the PRE 1960 C-2) The Pre 1960 C-2 just needs a double J-2 Engine mount (I typically Use the ETS S-IVB mount for this with the old parts)   

If you are looking for Post 1960 but pre Silverstein C-2 it is harder....    Same is true of the C-3.    C-4 is mostly buildable right now as well. (well atleast the S-IC-4 stage is buildable!)

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, actually, the only new diameter would be the first stage. Afaik the third stage of the C-8 was the S-IVB, and the second stage was a stretched S-II to make it as long as the S-IC. The only new tank would be the S-IC-8. You literally have 2 of the 3 tanks needed to make Nova. :P The S-IVB and the S-IC (Which would be used as a make shift S-II-8).

Also, not pushing you to make Nova, just saying that you have already made 2 of the 3 stages. 

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

****WHICH**** Saturn C are you looking for.   C-1 and C-2are buildable and Mostly buildable (for the PRE 1960 C-2) The Pre 1960 C-2 just needs a double J-2 Engine mount (I typically Use the ETS S-IVB mount for this with the old parts)   

If you are looking for Post 1960 but pre Silverstein C-2 it is harder....    Same is true of the C-3.    C-4 is mostly buildable right now as well. (well atleast the S-IC-4 stage is buildable!)

Wait, there're more version of C-2? I know one with S-II and another with S-III what's another?

Anyways talk about never build stuff, I wonder why I can't remember anyone talk about project horizon yet.

Edited by derega16

7 hours ago, faze pope said:

the saturn C-8. there are parts listed and a diagram in the build guide on the wiki.

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

The problem is the C-8 was never finalized on. Those diagrams and build guides aren't official afaik.

The bottom of the pic is just an old kitbash I did using restock tanks and proc fairings.  Even after the BDB Saturn revamp update it'll only really be possible to build some of the Saturn development studies with BDB parts - A-1, C-1 (Saturn 1 Bl. 1), C-2, C-5 and the original Super Jupiter should be doable once the engine mounts are finished.  You could probably kitbash some 8m diameter tanks (5m at KSP scale) using Restock tanks or tweakscale to knock up C-3 and C-4 with a little artistic license.

5 hours ago, derega16 said:

Wait, there're more version of C-2? I know one with S-II and another with S-III what's another?

Anyways talk about never build stuff, I wonder why I can't remember anyone talk about project horizon yet.

Saturn V (astronautix.com)

There are a TON of Saturn concepts, but AFAIK, C-2 didn't have any expansions. C-3 and C-5 did. 

Edited by GoldForest

5 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I don’t know if this speaks more to my bad eyes or your excellent photography, but I legitimately thought these were actual photos of Skylab at first. Not even joking.

I honestly non-ironically had that exact same thought lol. 

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

There were 4(?) designs for the C-2 that I am semi-aware of.  Most are known only by TEXT descriptions (no drawing exists.)  

The OG C-2 was the S-I JunoV stage plus the S-III stage, S-IV(4 engine 20 inch smaller diameter) Payload on top.   Then there was the C-2 payload carrier which had a slightly bigger S-III stage and the full up 4(6 in actuality) engine S-IV (the as built diameter and size).  This is the one we all "know about" with S-III.

Then there was the Substitution of the S-II for the 4 engine S-II, which only makes sense if the JunoV stage (S-I) is E-1 powered as the E-1s had growth potential and the H-1s really didn't.       Really it is the cancellation of the E-1 that doomed Saturn C-2, more than anything else.

Lastly, there is the fanciful C-2 with the long S-II stage powered by H-1s.  It could carry a tiny payload into a HIGH orbit.    So if you needed say a 1000lb payload at 8000km orbit, this one would do that (fictitious numbers to give you an idea of what it could do)