[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Just now, Galileo chiu said:

So is there a new release with the H2?

as of right now it exists only as a Patch in the Pafftek (mine) Extras folder. 

Cobalt was toying around with a new model for one a while back and posted some new pictures of the old model.    Up to him if he wants to finish it and include it for real.    My Patch is nice but not amazing and will need a revision if Cobalt does not create his own H-2.   

Just a general question, is there any consensus on what would have been the replacement/upgrade for the Saturn 1 if we kept flying?

Probably another upgrade for the H1? H2 was going to be basically a new engine?  Does the E1 fit as an upgrade (I know the timelines were not right on that engine, but gameplay wise it is an upgrade right)?

Then probably SRB on the side for heavy lift?

What do the people think?

Edited by debaker02
Fix

4 hours ago, debaker02 said:

Just a general question, is there any consensus on what would have been the replacement/upgrade for the Saturn 1 if we kept flying?

Probably another upgrade for the H1? H2 was going to be basically a new engine?  Does the E1 fit as an upgrade (I know the timelines were not right on that engine, but gameplay wise it is an upgrade right)?

Then probably SRB on the side for heavy lift?

What do the people think?

getting into gross speculation here.    E-1 is dead at the point H-2 enters the Fray.  

I would imagine that S-IB would get the H-2 engine eventually... along with improvements.  Biggest one being a mono-hull first stage which would shorten the rocket, slightly increase the fuel load and most importantly dramatically improve the TWR.   Alternatively the Stage could be closer to S-IB stage, get a lot more fuel and have a longer burn for the first stage...  

Honestly the H-2 being ruled out by H-1s is not the end of the world if you look at the F-1 +4 H-1 engine option.

Sadly there is no real payload options with the technology involved to warrant the upgrade of Saturn beyond the S-IB.   However there is a "solution" to that.   It would require that Vietnam war be ended in 1968-1969 and the need for "satellite reconnaissance planes" like oh, I don't know, Dynasoar? be viable.     This would also make Saturn a Viable Launcher for a MOLesk station/satellite.

11 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

No sir, I don’t like it.

Yeah, it would look better with Saturn-Titan Derived 156" SRBs instead of the Shuttle Derived 148" ones. :D

The gimbal collar would have a flat "inside" side to it and utilize a strong-back beam between the nose and tail sections... great place for attachment points don't cha know :D

Edited by Pappystein

29 minutes ago, mateusviccari said:

Is there a way to make parts use only default LiquidFuel+Oxidizer, instead of LqdHydrogen?

Doing so would totally break the parts because you are adding hundreds of TONS of mass.... not really an exageration there.    Embrace Hydrolox, it make the game better :D

13 hours ago, mateusviccari said:

Is there a way to make parts use only default LiquidFuel+Oxidizer, instead of LqdHydrogen?

If you mean tanks, even tanks with default LH2+Ox can be switched to LF+Ox using b9 part switch in the part action window within the VAB.

If you mean Lh2+ox engines, then no we have no intention to provide such a switch. You would need to figure out and write your own patch to do that.

16 hours ago, derega16 said:

@Zorg can we have that giant hammer head fairing eventually?

Yup a 3.125m to 4.25m base was already under consideration (I had seen this before). Not sure when though, due to IRL commitments I havent been working on BDB much recently and wont be able to until January most likely. When I get back will have to evaluate priorities.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, Minmus Taster said:

David Kerman now Proudly presents:

Reveal hidden contents

The Kane Spacecrafts Courtship ritual.

(I am so sorry)

The Kane Spacecraft approaches a potential mate and deploys His secret weapon:

bvVOwY3.png

l3rWC62.png

The Sina MEM watches as the Kane begins His dance:

U02m76L.png

wPLdAEK.pngThe Sina turns its lights on to convey that She's impressed, but the Kane must completelly convince Her before they become mates:

kP5ZKVD.png

The Kane moves in for the finale, the Sina is right where He wants Her, it's now or never...

OoRnPGQ.png

Reveal hidden contents

5OhXgM2.png

Lunar Gemini making this whole thing hard to write.

Don't ever ask for a part 2.

....Part 2 :(

Spoiler

q4GyrAz.png

The Kane turns out to be horrible at docking and the Sina loses interest, the Kane will have to try again with a new Sina, Ideally off camera next time.

I'm sorry I can't continue this thing but I also couldn't leave it, it's been giving me nightmares for months.

This Thing is just gigantic

unknown.png

It has 8 RD-180s on the Core stage, yes, you heard right, and 2 on the boosters, they crossfeed into the core (I originally didn't wan't to use crossfeed and I wanted to only use 5 RD-180s on the core but the performance was too horrible)

2nd stage is just a EDS from Roger's Ares 5 mod (I wanted to use 2-3 J-2x but we sadly don't have the parts for such a stage

inspired by this on the far right:

all-liquid.png

I named it Atlas Evolved

25 minutes ago, derega16 said:

I never understand those with clustered RD-170, why they won't just use RD-180.

I think you switched the two up

I used RD-180 instead of RD-170 because the document names RD-180s and I already use them on the CBC (atlas 5 1st stage) boosters

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there anyone who knows stuff about the IPP stuff? also, would it use the APAS port or should I use the CADS port or another port?

Edited by Starhelperdude

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

I never understand those with clustered RD-180, why they won't just use RD-170.

It was mostly because the US had and could purchase RD-180s but not RD-170s I think. That and you can easily cluster more RD-180s in the space given versus the number of RD-170s you could cluster in the same space, allowing you to possibly have more thrust. 

Plus, Atlas already used RD-180s, use what you know. :P

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

is there anyone who knows stuff about the IPP stuff? also, would it use the APAS port or should I use the CADS port or another port?

If IPP stuff used a pre existing docking port it was a choice between Apollo probe and drouge, or APAS-75 (for crew transfers only, as there are probe and drougue ports for connecting things like stages together).

Edited by Jcking