[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

21 hours ago, Socowez said:

Mars Direct with Sea Dragon for KSP2?

That sorta stuff isn't really my thing..

1 hour ago, zw_45 said:

Any ETA on the release date?

14 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

I know exactly when it's released: when it's done.

It will not be in the upcoming 1.11 release.

3 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

A stockalike probe/rover mod pack sounds pretty neat. But I have to agree with @CobaltWolf and his team, especially considering all the other stuff they're working on.

Yeah, part of why I stick to my lane, so to speak, is I like finally being able to get into all these nitty-gritty side things instead of only having the historical stuff. There's plenty of aspects of spaceflight that are ripe for the same sort of treatment, which I hope more people eventually step up and start creating. :) If I were to spread myself too thin, it would discourage other people from making stuff.

21 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

Still really wishing to see Viking

me-too-me-too-kid.gif

Edited by CobaltWolf

I knew giving Mann Co. Saturn I components was a bad idea...
52429988276_a93fa640eb_o.png
52430269744_5eb7ca1e01_o.png

In case this seems random, there is a rocket in the video game Team Fortress 2 that looks vaguely like a Saturn I. I wanted to see if I could recreate it in KSP, or at least make something inspired by it. Results are mixed. I couldn't get the orange in the places I wanted.
one_bg_03.jpg

Not the best picture, but it's really hard trying to search for pictures of the rocket in-game.

The good news is the rocket I made in KSP from this idea has an LKO capacity of over 25 tons.

Edited by Blufor878

13 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

I knew giving Mann Co. Saturn I components was a bad idea...
52429988276_a93fa640eb_o.png
52430269744_5eb7ca1e01_o.png

In case this seems random, there is a rocket in the video game Team Fortress 2 that looks vaguely like a Saturn I. I wanted to see if I could recreate it in KSP, or at least make something inspired by it. Results are mixed. I couldn't get the orange in the places I wanted.
one_bg_03.jpg

Not the best picture, but it's really hard trying to search for pictures of the rocket in-game.

The good news is the rocket I made in KSP from this idea has an LKO capacity of over 25 tons.

I love it. Now do the one in Dustbowl

For my first Mun contract I made a modified Red Arrow rocket dubbed Matchstick which launched a modified Juno Guidance Unit dubbed Debussy to flyby it.

Due to certain reasons 1 I had to launch at night and 2 I don't want to completely show the rocket in fear of getting in trouble, however I will show the awesome waterfall effects of the Scout Boosters.

20221014114750_1_by_pudgemountain_dfflprr-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmZscHJyLTBkYzIxMzA1LThhZDMtNDU4OS05NzYwLTE3MWM5NGI4M2E5Zi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.zOiX7UNHOFNli-CRyMVGt0tRfgsOpD_Hp4XLY-AWngw

Houston we had a problem, the fairing got stuck.

20221014115444_1_by_pudgemountain_dfflprm-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmZscHJtLTEwMWE2NzNiLWNmMDMtNDdlNy1iOGMxLTg2YTkzYjU0NDM5YS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.d786HOvw_HSCqt1V7rqTgYxtnwY72yr2lz6FY3MNbzo

Eventually it fell off and here's Debussy.

20221014115722_1_by_pudgemountain_dfflpri-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmZscHJpLTc0ZjAxYTVkLTJmZTMtNDFjNS1hM2Y5LTkzN2Q3MDg4YmM3Yy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.Z8gn1a26xOfajA8nSCvhUAWhPR1OmPPP76zE4yCepqk

Ranger Cam view of the Mun.

20221014120452_1_by_pudgemountain_dfflpre-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmZscHJlLTg0NTg5YzM4LWZjOGYtNDdlMS1iZjNhLWE3ZmQwNjJiZjI0Ny5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19._NX14VBWBcYcGxqEzLyK3_X1uXvkXkCdw8IDpaMiBqo

8 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

This thing seems to be at least half complete, so... I vote to delay 1.11 even further (if needed) to include it.

Between the orbiter and the lander the texturing is not even a quarter done. Plus getting things functional, playtesting (I definitely want it to spend some time in dev) balancing etc. there’s no reason to delay the next release. 

Edited by Zorg

On 10/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, CobaltWolf said:

We'll have to see. Given the speed of development, I feel it's unlikely we'll be able to get into that sort of stuff before KSP2, and that will likely force us to put plans for new content on hold for... well, years.

KSP2, a game I am both anticipating so much, but at the same time... somewhat dreading it'll take years for the mods to be up to scratch with KSP1. Especially since we're in a golden era of KSP Modding

8 hours ago, davidy12 said:

it'll take years for the mods to be up to scratch with KSP1. Especially since we're in a golden era of KSP Modding

Absolutely. I just hope that there is no need to rework all the beautifull 3-D designed parts. I think that already having the models and (with a little hope) probably some of the textures too, should make this process much faster. Yes, i think it will take 1-3 Years until we have all the larger mods that are still in active dev there. But i wonder how many new guys with new ideas will show up: KSP 2 with it´s better performance and multiplayer will introduce a lot of new people to this great game ( In my circle of friend are a lot of gamers and i am the only one playing KSP but i know of at least and handfull of guys who wait for KSP II), and there will be mod devs too. If you ask me we will have a first golden era of KSP II Modding only weeks or months from the launch of the game, not years. Most of that will be little things, or mods that will not need many new part designs. And until then all of us can use the time to get into the game itself.

Edited by JoeSheridan

1 hour ago, JoeSheridan said:

Absolutely. I just hope that there is no need to rework all the beautifull 3-D designed parts. I think that already having the models and (with a little hope) probably some of the textures too, should make this process much faster. Yes, i think it will take 1-3 Years until we have all the larger mods that are still in active dev there. But i wonder how many new guys with new ideas will show up: KSP 2 with it´s better performance and multiplayer will introduce a lot of new people to this great game ( In my circle of friend are a lot of gamers and i am the only one playing KSP but i know of at least and handfull of guys who wait for KSP II), and there will be mod devs too. If you ask me we will have a first golden era of KSP II Modding only weeks or months from the launch of the game, not years. Most of that will be little things, or mods that will not need many new part designs. And until then all of us can use the time to get into the game itself.

Im hopeful most of our models will be good (maybe re UV and a little bit of work here and there). Since KSP2 is clearly using PBR textures fully (physically based rendering) almost none of the textures will make it through. While you can in theory mess with current textures made for legacy shaders and get it to at least function, they wouldnt look great. KSP2 means a full PBR re-texture of all BDB assets.

Here is a little practice I did for example on the NERVA FF in Substance Painter (a PBR texturing software)

Current

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/945247771349372988/991035847862255656/screen_2560x1440_2022-06-27_17-36-44.png

Remade (some of the height map used to create the normal/bump details survived but everything else was redone from scratch)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/854804648292122624/996761403669098506/06.jpg

Edited by Zorg

So, KSP 2 releases, hopefully, in 2023. 

BDB 2.0 can be expected in... 2028. Got it. /jk

But in all seriousness, since KSP 2.0 is all about interplanetary missions, I would suggest you guys work backwards in terms of rocket eras. Give us Saturn V and all the parts associated first so we can have interplanetary capabilities with the fictional Saturn Vs. Then work on the others from there.

Edited by GoldForest