[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Something I want a clarify. Where does the instruments unit go on Saturn variant with no S-IVB? Is it a normal sized IU mount on top of S-II, S-ID or it is a plan for S-II sized one? I never seen a mention of bigger sized IU in any documents I read.

Edited by derega16

28 minutes ago, derega16 said:

Something I want a clarify. Where does the instruments unit go on Saturn variant with no S-IVB? Is it a normal sized IU mount on top of S-II, S-ID or it is a plan for S-II sized one? I never seen a mention of bigger sized IU in any documents I read.

The plan was to take the various components of the S-IVB IU and break them apart and put them on a bigger ring.    There is one planned for the Mod I believe but if you have tweakscale, you can make a simple patch if it isn't already covered by one to scale it up.

36 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

The plan was to take the various components of the S-IVB IU and break them apart and put them on a bigger ring.    There is one planned for the Mod I believe but if you have tweakscale, you can make a simple patch if it isn't already covered by one to scale it up.

Tweak scale can scale it up to S-II size, mass and height are off, but should work as a temporary solution 

Edited by derega16

Fmjn10Z.png

Damn, Going to have to re-write my Fuel patch for Apollo.    AZ50/NTO is breaking the SIM bay :(

On another note.   Any chance of the Apollo CM decoupler getting an arm extension option down the line?   

I tend to use the AARDV Probe core between the HeatShield and the CM so I can fly all Civilians/Scientist/Engineers who for some reason don't have even a rudimentary pilot training of NOT hitting the buttons so I can get to space.

ZK9Ljj6.png

Obviously this is the old AARDV core since the new one isn't ready yet.

Low priority but I thought I would mention it

Some notes for the Future FAQ update @Friznit

1) Saturn VFB solar array.  PUT ON AN ACTION GROUP.    As you unfold one pannel, it covers the next and you have to zoom in real close and be lucky with your clicks to get a hidden panel open if you do it manually!

2) Saturn S-ID Brake Fins.   Have TWO SEPARATE Air Brakes.  Make certain you include both of them if you are using Action groups (other than the BRAKE GROUP) to activate.

I used the S-ID in a Saturn MLV-VFB booster with the 6 F-1 first stage...   it began spnning as soon as it hit atmosphere as only half of the air brakes were deployed

My very Rare lately screenshot tax.    Got all my required tasking done early today (yay!)

Rocket:  Saturn II INT-18-5xSMRU3-Skylab

yes that is a mouthful :D

Stages:

0-  5x SMRU-3Segment

1- MS-IIA with 5x J-2T-400K (in the BDB extras folder)

2- MS-IVB with 1x J-2T-400K

Payload:   Skylab+

nXBg0K0.jpg

Spoiler

OsmrKA8.jpg

LIFTOFF!

BV3bRVw.jpg

And Climbing!

FZ5NQ9S.jpg

5x (yes, 5!) SMRUs lift this beast.   While not in the Final Report, the 5x UA-1205 and UA-1207 SRM were planned from the outset for INT-18.    They were removed from the final report as a means of reducing the cost of INT-18 (with the smaller Solids, the 5th did not give a big payload boost as playing with fuel loads did.)

2sP3EZG.jpg

RBr5WxD.jpg

Still climbing to burnout.

3GP8p1l.jpg

From the payload aft right before Separation (I took this picture when the J-2Ts ignited)

aYO2qZM.jpg

Clean Separation!  FINALLY!  (I was playing around with Smart Parts, and the SRMUs would separate before they stopped accelerating... BOOM!)

n9LjPYS.jpg

SHOOT!  I have AUTO-Deploy Solar Panels on! 

Screw it!  I have already launched this stack six times!

:P

wy9CgtW.jpg

Final Circulating.  I only needed about 1/10th of the total fuel for the MS-IVB stage—also, no need for the Foward RCS to be backward as there are no bottom ports.

nLptcDc.jpg

Orbit.  You now know what the + meant in Skylab+!

Unfortunately, as the eagle eyed players will notice.  I will need to launch this rocket.... AGAIN.     I made a mistake and did not have HABTECH2 installed and thus have the wrong dockingport onboard

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

My very Rare lately screenshot tax.    Got all my required tasking done early today (yay!)

Rocket:  Saturn II INT-18-5xSMRU3-Skylab

yes that is a mouthful :D

Stages:

0-  5x SMRU-3Segment

1- MS-IIA with 5x J-2T-400K (in the BDB extras folder)

2- MS-IVB with 1x J-2T-400K

Payload:   Skylab+

nXBg0K0.jpg

Hide contents

OsmrKA8.jpg

LIFTOFF!

BV3bRVw.jpg

And Climbing!

FZ5NQ9S.jpg

5x (yes, 5!) SMRUs lift this beast.   While not in the Final Report, the 5x UA-1205 and UA-1207 SRM were planned from the outset for INT-18.    They were removed from the final report as a means of reducing the cost of INT-18 (with the smaller Solids, the 5th did not give a big payload boost as playing with fuel loads did.)

2sP3EZG.jpg

RBr5WxD.jpg

Still climbing to burnout.

3GP8p1l.jpg

From the payload aft right before Separation (I took this picture when the J-2Ts ignited)

aYO2qZM.jpg

Clean Separation!  FINALLY!  (I was playing around with Smart Parts, and the SRMUs would separate before they stopped accelerating... BOOM!)

n9LjPYS.jpg

SHOOT!  I have AUTO-Deploy Solar Panels on! 

Screw it!  I have already launched this stack six times!

:P

wy9CgtW.jpg

Final Circulating.  I only needed about 1/10th of the total fuel for the MS-IVB stage—also, no need for the Foward RCS to be backward as there are no bottom ports.

nLptcDc.jpg

Orbit.  You now know what the + meant in Skylab+!

Unfortunately, as the eagle eyed players will notice.  I will need to launch this rocket.... AGAIN.     I made a mistake and did not have HABTECH2 installed and thus have the wrong dockingport onboard

?! No waterfall!

Would you be willing to change the  S-1D parachutes to work better with the  StageRecovery mod? they aren't big enough, I have to add about a dozen to fast for a successful recovery. even without the mod they seem really underpowered for the amount they are supposed to carry.

with 4 chutes, I'm landing at around 20 m/s witch is enough to water land it if i follow it all the way down, but the mods  max landing speed is 12m/s and it wants 6 for full recovery.

Edited by zakkpaz

SAMOS E-1/F-1

32screenshot136.png

Spoiler

d08screenshot137.pnge3fscreenshot138.png

Booster engine cutoff and skirt jettison 

69escreenshot139.pngeaascreenshot140.png

The Agena continues it's burn to orbit

dfbscreenshot141.png

The SAMOS F-1 package is deployed

e6bscreenshot142.png

Re-orientation... 

4f7screenshot143.png

And SAMOS F-1 jettison. 

screenshot144.pngcd1screenshot145.png

The SAMOS E-1 package now continues operation.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:45 PM, Entr8899 said:

Is there a possibility of adding an LH2/O switch for the Thor vernier so it can be used with cryogenic stages? Or, because Atlas will get revamped soon, for the LR105 verniers?

Totally second this! I've made a part config for hydrolox verniers, may post here if someone's interested. Very useful for single-engine lower and mid stages, I use it mainly for LDC-derived Ariane analogue with single LR87-LH2 core and roll control verniers

@Zorg @CobaltWolf just humbly throwing in a bunch of suggestions for the mod

Orange SOFI tank texture for the S-IVB/S-IVC is already in the works I suppose? Would look very pretty on longer-duration stage versions, such as landers (always wanted to recreate an S-IVB lander, should now work without lots of kitbashing) or even propellant depots. Maybe even add an MLI tank texture as it's already made for the Skylab/Venus flyby module?

Also some drawings of LRBs for Saturn MLV (namely on Astronautix.com) depict boosters having one F-1 mounted in the center, and the second engine outboard on shoulder mount (unlike what the modern Pyrios concept shows) Any chance for such configuration? Or just make a separate radial Saturn shoulder mount for ultimate lego-ability?

The third suggestion is quite a wierd one, but how about an S-II base mount with pentagonal engine arrangement in place of cross-like? IIRC, I've seen it in some early Saturn concepts, though I can't find it right now. EDIT: still can't find the original 5-engine version but a 5+1 engine S-II configuration was proposed for the First Lunar Outpost launch vehicle, apparently dubbed Comet

Those are of course just suggestions and may be ignored

Edited by Alpha512

10 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

SAMOS E-1/F-1

32screenshot136.png

Reveal hidden contents

d08screenshot137.pnge3fscreenshot138.png

Booster engine cutoff and skirt jettison 

69escreenshot139.pngeaascreenshot140.png

The Agena continues it's burn to orbit

dfbscreenshot141.png

The SAMOS F-1 package is deployed

e6bscreenshot142.png

Re-orientation... 

4f7screenshot143.png

And SAMOS F-1 jettison. 

screenshot144.pngcd1screenshot145.png

The SAMOS E-1 package now continues operation.

Nice! Are all the Samos parts BDB? Probes Plus?

I’ve noticed that the animations for the MESA pallet (as well as a couple other science instruments like the Agena materials bay and the Gemini spectrometer) don’t work when I have Kerbalism installed. I guess I can’t call this an “issue” since BDB doesn’t officially support Kerbalism anyway, but I was wondering if anyone has run into the same problem and developed a workaround.

3 hours ago, Neil Kerman said:

Where'd you get the science package in the CSM bay and LM?

The SIM Bay and MESA are from BDB, the LRV is mostly ReStock, Benjee's Canadarm for the robotics,  and Tweakscale to get the proportions right.

Edited by _Krieger_