[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

[quote name='komodo'][snip snip][/QUOTE]
That's a lot more suggestion that I was expecting. Someone give this man an award. I love the use of "you guys" and not "cobalt"! Makes me feel a lot less useless. As of right now I'm a little overwhelmed by real life but if you give me a bit I'll actually type out an educated response to that amazing amount of feedback.

Real Life, Again, I feel you. I should either be sleeping or doing retrosynthetic analysis at the moment... Instead... Wellllll. Philosophizing on KSP addons seems to be the order of the day ><

No award needed, nor a rush. I recommend sleep for both of us first!

wew lad

[quote name='komodo']How'd'ya mean? I mean by that... do you have an example?

I'm scrolling down the Addon Releases page looking for potential suspects, but i'm coming up short a bit...

The following is a random collection of thoughts that are floating about. They may or may not make sense. All of them are intended in a tone of praise for your awesome work.

Mod compatibility: I entirely appreciate that the antennas you've built have RT configs. It seems those are made of unobtainium at times... Incidentally, I also appreciate a lot that the Sienno built in omni is active from the start node; why RT devs picked such a deep node for that always on perk, I don't know... poorly documented too.. Ahh, I digress.[/QUOTE]

I originally started working on BDB because I wanted more/varied antennas than what I got through RT + AIES.

[quote name='komodo']Perhaps Mechjeb/KER builtins for the probe core(s)?[/QUOTE]

I won't be giving any command modules (probe or otherwise) built in MJ/KER, simply because those plugins don't default to that. If people want them, there are MM configs around to add the modules to all the cores.

[quote name='komodo']On a similar note, there are a significant amount of AntennaRange users, I suspect. I don't know how much effort that would take to re-antenna all of the ones here, though. (Plus with 1.1 coming up... eeeek.)[/QUOTE]

Someone actually did send me some AR configs they made, but I've been too lazy to include them... I honestly was going to wait and see what 1.1 brought.

[quote name='komodo']Perhaps more structural adapters to go from size-to-size? I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to load a 2.5 m payload on the Centaur. I may not have all the parts unlocked, though. I have a serious addiction for odd diameter parts it seems. (HGR came out, I was all over that thing. :D ) Lately, these tiny parts have been... well, a blast, lets say.

I mention this because having a lot of lego like pieces is half the fun of KSP to me, and your guys' parts are very flexible in how they go together with themselves + others. Boosting that flexibility would go a long way to mod compatibility right there, without any particular target in mind.[/QUOTE]

There is an adapter fuel tank for the Centaur to turn it into the Centaur T, as well as a normal 2.5m tank in the centaur style.

The only adapters I'm really missing right now would be from 1.875m to 1.5m. Not sure who would need that but it's no big deal to make one and include it. Anything that is a non-stock size has adapters to other sizes, don't worry. What we're short on at the moment are the decouplers and the engines.

[quote name='komodo']I'm not using realfuels at the moment, but that's the one that pops to mind when dealing with an engine/tank pack.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to say no to that. I have enough difficulty balancing for stock KSP, I don't want to worry about two completely different games. Anyone who wants is welcome to make them and I'll link in the OP.

[quote name='komodo']Life support doesn't really pop up as there are no pods here. Science parts already tie into DMagic's, FASA, somewhat. I'm not certain who else is having a lot of science-y things to tie into. If a telescope ever happens, Cacteye would be something to look into. Science parts are generally good in my eye. (Besides: Where else are you going to find an accurate mass spec? :D )[/QUOTE]

I did want to do some cameras early on but I had trouble finding some that I enjoyed adapting to the game's art style. I plan on adding some more science parts once I turn my eye towards the probes update.

[quote name='komodo']Generally, I like the attention to detail paid to the parts, descriptions, prices, etc. It adds a lot of flavor, which is rather important/gets over looked a lot of the time, I think.[/QUOTE]

Thank you but I really don't think much thought has been put into most of them. Fuel tanks, for instance, have little that can be said about them. I would rather just leave a lot of the things at simple descriptions, specifically noting their diameter as that can be hard to tell sometimes in the VAB menu. Tantares for instance has made me pay to unlock decouplers numerous times only to find out they were the wrong size.

[quote name='komodo']But mod compatibility... Hmmmm. Procedural Fairings, perhaps? Textures/Fairing Shapes/Bases? Its been a crazy week, perhaps my brain is borked as far as thinking goes :p[/QUOTE]

I plan on adding textures for both stock and PFairings, as well as some PP textures.

[quote name='komodo']EDIT to say that the following two points are not on topic at all, but i'll leave them as thought fodder; neither is expected to be taken seriously.

Pie in the Sky, no pun intended, would be a set of lightweight engines/thrusters for [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61294-1-0-XT-Landertron-Smart-Retrorockets-for-Landers-and-Spaceplanes-v0-08-Oct-10"]Landertron[/URL] ? I've always thought them very Kerbal/A perfect companion for probes/remotetech when diving at the surface of a faraway land. Only problem would be not so much compatibility as dependency :([/QUOTE]

Probably not, for the reason you've listed.

[quote name='komodo']I also have an idea, which you may or may not render into a plan to throw a shoe at me, butttt... One thing i've often thought missing from the addon spectrum was a stock-a-like Apollo SM engine. I've never seen one, at least. KW came close, but that... Well. KW. (RLA has a monoprop engine which is close... perhaps I just ought to reconfigure that critter. Hmm...)[/QUOTE]

Uhm, maybe? I don't have a very large interest in... big / late game things. There might be little bits here and there from Apollo but in general the program doesn't interest me from a modding POV. I tend to prefer smaller / earlier things, asides from the Atlas V which I just think looks cool.

[quote name='komodo']I'm enjoying the work thus far, *a lot*. Also, Radish-a-like, it may be my favorite pod. It just seemed to 'fit', you know? Now, off to play with the new hot off the dev press goodies!

EDIT: GAH, these little windows belay how long posts get >< :blush::blush::blush::blush:[/QUOTE]

Radish-alike is probably going to come with the completed Mercury / MOL parts.

Cheers, thanks for the input!

No problem, thanks for the opportunity to give some feedback! I understand on your points, and agree with them. I haven't done a hard mode career yet, although that's a good idea... I hadn't thought of getting ****ed off at buying a wrong-size decoupler before. That's an excellent point.

RF, I agree is a rat nest of balancing. I've backed away from it for the time being for that reason. Thanks for the detailed response!

Incidentally, I figured out what I was doing wrong with the Centaur re 2.5 m payloads not long after I hit submit. D'oh!

[URL="http://www./download/czflegeq2hm3pf9/Bluedog_DB_Dev_19_11_2015.zip"]Have a dev update.[/URL] If you're not super super desperate to start building new rockets, I'm trying to finish QA, balancing, and naming right now so a real update will hopefully be out tonight.

[quote name='CobaltWolf'][URL="http://www./download/czflegeq2hm3pf9/Bluedog_DB_Dev_19_11_2015.zip"]Have a dev update.[/URL] If you're not super super desperate to start building new rockets, I'm trying to finish QA, balancing, and naming right now so a real update will hopefully be out tonight.[/QUOTE]

I'm on Windows for the moment. I'll have to boot back into Linux to try them out whenever you make it official. Keeping eyes peeled!

[quote name='lynwoodm']I'm on Windows for the moment. I'll have to boot back into Linux to try them out whenever you make it official. Keeping eyes peeled![/QUOTE]

Yeah I mostly just posted it because I was uploading it for a couple people to test anyways.

[URL="https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1183/Bluedog%20Design%20Bureau"]Version 0.07 - Rockets Expansion is now out![/URL]

[imgur]sxAWw[/imgur]

[spoiler="Changelog"]
0.07 (Rockets expansion!)
-Added Vanguard 0.975m lifter parts
-Added Able 0.625m upper stage parts
-Added Ablestar 0.9375m upper stage parts
-Added long 1.25m fuel tank for Redstone
-Added 0.5m radial SRB
-Added parts for Thor 1.5m launcher
-Fixed exhaust on the Atlas verniers
-Added custom fairing textures to some of the BDB fairing bases. They no longer use the stock texture.
-Tweaked the Atlas engine textures. They needed some work.
-Fixed the Atlas engine fairings.
[/spoiler]

EDIT: A psd file snuck into the Aero folder. Delete if you want, I don't know if it will hurt anything.

EDIT2: Lyn I didn't see your post in time but I appreciate it!

EDIT3: For those that are wondering, now that I've cranked out a lot of rocket parts, the next update will probably focus on probe parts, as well as finishing up Mercury + Agena. Edited by CobaltWolf

Happy to report that all parts functioned well in Linux. All engines gimbaled nicely and precisely and that srb makes a pretty rainbow of colors, lol. I love your fairing design and how it creates a perfect point at the top when you close it. Very sharp mod ya got here! Just one question though, that experimental engine fairing, is it intentionally textureless? I guess that's why you called it experimental. Edited by lynwoodm

[quote name='VenomousRequiem']Oh the topic of neat things, have some screenshots. I feel naked without EVE enabled, but I'm having trouble with it lately...
Anywho-

[URL]http://imgur.com/a/noTR9[/URL][/QUOTE]

This might be a stupid question, but which fairings are you using? They're nice and round!

Found an issue with TweakScale config:

your new added parts have a missing "{" between the "@PART" line and the added tweakscale lines :P

One of your actual cfg (example):

[CODE]
@PART[bluedog_thorXLtank]:NEEDS[TweakScale] //SSR-900
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.5
}
}
[/CODE]

should be:

[CODE]
[B]{[/B]// <---added
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.5
}
}
[/CODE]

It's an issue with all the new Thor/Able/Ablestar parts added :P (mostly tanks and decouplers...) Edited by Araym

[quote name='Araym']Found an issue with TweakScale config:

your new added parts have a missing "{" between the "@PART" line and the added tweakscale lines :P

One of your actual cfg (example):

[CODE]
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.5
}
}
[/CODE]

should be:

[CODE]
[B]{[/B]// <---added
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.5
}
}
[/CODE]

It's an issue with all the new Thor/Able/Ablestar parts added :P (mostly tanks and decouplers...)[/QUOTE]

d'oh! I thought they'd work seeing as I just copied it (apparently incorrectly) from the existing tweakscale cfgs. Thanks for the heads up, I'll post a fix first thing in the morning!

Fixed the tweakscale configs, update is pushed to KerbalStuff. Thanks to Araym for pointing it out. You can [URL="http://www./download/sn8isa32vbms3mh/tweakscale_compatibility.cfg"]download just the tweakscale cfg from here[/URL], drop it in your BDB folder.

[quote name='CobaltWolf']Fixed the tweakscale configs, update is pushed to KerbalStuff. Thanks to Araym for pointing it out. You can [URL="http://www./download/sn8isa32vbms3mh/tweakscale_compatibility.cfg"]download just the tweakscale cfg from here[/URL], drop it in your BDB folder.[/QUOTE]

As I was still checking out my mods to update my Comic save to 1.0.5, I found your mod and I was driven to add it to my list just for having a working Atlas, but for size comparison to other launchers of mine, I made it a 2.5 meters one... and I found the issue with some parts not being able to be rescaled. As I did mostly of the tweakscale coding by myself, when needed in my saves, I'm pretty fast to find where the issues are coming from... ;)