[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Just now, DarthVader said:

@CobaltWolf i downloaded the latest release from your Git, no lab parts

They are not in the release, they are in the current repo. You have to download the zip of the current / up to date source files and use those. I'm actually updating now since I think it's missing some stuff, so wait a little bit.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

They are not in the release, they are in the current repo. You have to download the zip of the current / up to date source files and use those. I'm actually updating now since I think it's missing some stuff, so wait a little bit.

Oh.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Secondly, when talking about resupply craft for the MOS based stations, I have three 'proposals' for you. One is based on Transtage, one is based on the Gemini service module, and one uses an Agena.

I like the Agena, both from a visual standpoint and because using a cheaper but less capable rocket makes sense for a supply craft. Titan and Gemini both have the necessary RCS though, does Agena? 

Of course, I'd have all three if I could just for the variety. 

Those are some great screenshots.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

~snip~

Secondly, when talking about resupply craft for the MOS based stations, I have three 'proposals' for you. One is based on Transtage, one is based on the Gemini service module, and one uses an Agena.

• Pros of the Transtage based version - biggest capacity at 1.875m. Cons being that it might be a little early for the Transtage to be used, and it needs a decent sized Titan based launcher in order to launch at that point in the game.
  • Pros of the Gemini SM based version - decent payload, kind of cool in that it retrofits the Gemini hardware which makes it seem like a cool retrofit, and could launch on an unassisted Titan 2. Cons being that its a real love or hate looking design, not a particularly capable SM.
  • Pros of the Agena based version - Agena already has a history of operating not just as a stage, but an independent vessel. So upgrading its automation makes sense. It can also be easily launched on Atlas, which is cheaper than Titan but less capable. Cons being it has the lowest payload.

~awesome pic here~

Because I'm kind of striking out on my own with the MOL stuff, and developing parts from scratch, I'm trying to define something of a headcanon for everything and it's a real struggle haha.

The way I see it, the Agena and the Gemini retrofit both justify themselves. Trans stage I like the most but is hardest to justify for a MOL based station. In my head KSA (NASA) calls for resupply craft proposals, Klockeed (Lockeed) takes a week and cobbles together the Cargo Agena. MackDonnell (McDonnel) likewise comes up with a retrofit Gemini a few weeks later and boasts about the increased payload and down-mass ability that the Cargo Agena lacks. Kartin Karietta (Martin Marietta) takes to long but later proposes a modification to Transtage that would be able to almost completely retool an existing space station given it's very large cargo capacity and also boast that with the Prometheus-IIIC (Titan-3C) their craft would be capable of reliably resupplying space stations around the moon although it lacks the Kartin Karietta proposals return ability. In the end KSA awarded contracts to bothe Klockeed and Mackdonnell for Cargo Agenas and Cargo Geminis respectively but also funds further research by Kartin Karietta on a Cargo Trastage. KSA plans to primarily use the Cargo Agena, mostly for life support resupply. The Cargo Gemini would be used less frequently, only when high volume items were to be carried and/or down-mass ability would be required.

/RP

I want all three! (I am greedy though :wink:) I only have two suggestions. One, by the looks of it, only the Gemini retrofit might be suitable for much beyond burning up in the atmosphere after it had served it's purpose. Two the Gemini retrofit might want a more conical shape given that, similar to Gemini, it would likely launch without a fairing.

EDIT: Gratz on 100 pages!

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

@CobaltWolf Dude! Regarding which cargo container to use, can we have all 3? Unlock them in different tech nodes so you have to progress to use them in career. I mean I could still do that with Tweakscale, but it would be cool to have different ones with different KIS configs and maybe better extras for the larger ones, like resources and control. Maybe even a unique experiment kind of like the fire experiment that the Cygnus will do soon. 

Please please please don't misinterpret this because I have been a long time follower and I absolutely love and appreciate your work. However I saw this gif and I felt I needed to post it here because it not only represents the people waiting for you to get an official release for 1.1 but basically everyone else who wants to push their new found 64bit capabilities but have to wait for modders to update their mods. Please please please take your time and I know it will be worth the wait, but just know........giphy.gif

1 hour ago, sp1989 said:

Please please please don't misinterpret this because I have been a long time follower and I absolutely love and appreciate your work. However I saw this gif and I felt I needed to post it here because it not only represents the people waiting for you to get an official release for 1.1 but basically everyone else who wants to push their new found 64bit capabilities but have to wait for modders to update their mods. Please please please take your time and I know it will be worth the wait, but just know........

Yeah, that did seem a little backhanded. You'll get your grubby greedy little mits on the 1.1 version when it's done. No sooner, no later. Perhaps you've never tried to model and texture before? It's time consuming and people have lives of their own. 

Besides, I've been playing with the latest dev release and it already works fine on 1.1. Hell, the latest official release on SpaceDock works fine with 1.1.  

@macintux Are you using the latest dev update from GitHub or are you using the latest official release on SpaceDock? 

Edited by VenomousRequiem

1 hour ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Yeah, that did seem a little backhanded. You'll get your grubby greedy little mits on the 1.1 version when it's done. No sooner, no later. Perhaps you've never tried to model and texture before? It's time consuming and people have lives of their own. 

Besides, I've been playing with the latest dev release and it already works fine on 1.1. Hell, the latest official release on SpaceDock works fine with 1.1.  

@macintux Are you using the latest dev update from GitHub or are you using the latest official release on SpaceDock? 

Ok again its joke. I have been apart of this community for a while. I appreciate everything all of the modders do and I NEVER take it for granted. The gif was purely intended to be amusing and nothing more. I didn't  think I could have prefaced that more clearly in my previous post. I'm really sorry if it was interpreted any other way but amusing. Also as I said that attitude seems to be indicative of the whole community right now because they want to push the limits of their new found 64bit capeabilites. I stand by what I said because I would never take what you guys do for granted. You guys are miracle workers and make the game so much more enjoyable. I would never feel so arrogant or entitled to expect mod makers to hurry up and get things out quickly knowing full well how much effort it takes, that life exists outside of KSP, and you do all of what you do for the love of the game not for profit. Thag being said I don't wish to clutter this thread any longer I leave with a gif that explains how I feel after this rant.....

let_me_explain_princess_bride.gif

ps if you have never seen princess bride first.......giphy.gif

second I'm sorry if you haven't and don't get the gifs/references.

Edited by sp1989

Heads up: something about the 4/24 dev update on Git breaks all of the science experiments in the game. Throws an error about sciencedef does not exist.
It's not the included DmagicAnimate folder (I'm using the one directly from DMagic's page). Reverting back to "MOL Beta" causes everything to work again.

I am indeed, in fact I tried both.

I am using the 64 bit linux version.

I love the mod otherwise, gives me the ability to make some of the more obscure American rockets most mod packs don't cover.

Edited by macintux

1 hour ago, macintux said:

I love the mod otherwise, gives me the ability to make some of the more obscure American rockets most mod packs don't cover.

I could have sworn we fixed that in the later dev updates... Is it just the booster fairing you've got trouble with?

7 hours ago, helaeon said:

Heads up: something about the 4/24 dev update on Git breaks all of the science experiments in the game. Throws an error about sciencedef does not exist.
It's not the included DmagicAnimate folder (I'm using the one directly from DMagic's page). Reverting back to "MOL Beta" causes everything to work again.

That's odd... I've got the latest version of DMA and one of the later dev releases (Not the latest one, I don't think...) and everything works fine. Is 4/24 the latest? @CobaltWolf could probably help you more.

47 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I could have sworn we fixed that in the later dev updates... Is it just the booster fairing you've got trouble with?

That's odd... I've got the latest version of DMA and one of the later dev releases (Not the latest one, I don't think...) and everything works fine. Is 4/24 the latest? @CobaltWolf could probably help you more.

I thought 4/23 was the latest. Did @CobaltWolf even update today.  

Oh this might get bad. Pardon my formatting.

22 hours ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

I like the Agena, both from a visual standpoint and because using a cheaper but less capable rocket makes sense for a supply craft. Titan and Gemini both have the necessary RCS though, does Agena?

I mean, Agena has RCS for attitude, not translation. But same for Transtage to an extent.

20 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

The way I see it, the Agena and the Gemini retrofit both justify themselves. Trans stage I like the most but is hardest to justify for a MOL based station. In my head KSA (NASA) calls for resupply craft proposals, Klockeed (Lockeed) takes a week and cobbles together the Cargo Agena. MackDonnell (McDonnel) likewise comes up with a retrofit Gemini a few weeks later and boasts about the increased payload and down-mass ability that the Cargo Agena lacks. Kartin Karietta (Martin Marietta) takes to long but later proposes a modification to Transtage that would be able to almost completely retool an existing space station given it's very large cargo capacity and also boast that with the Prometheus-IIIC (Titan-3C) their craft would be capable of reliably resupplying space stations around the moon although it lacks the Kartin Karietta proposals return ability. In the end KSA awarded contracts to bothe Klockeed and Mackdonnell for Cargo Agenas and Cargo Geminis respectively but also funds further research by Kartin Karietta on a Cargo Trastage. KSA plans to primarily use the Cargo Agena, mostly for life support resupply. The Cargo Gemini would be used less frequently, only when high volume items were to be carried and/or down-mass ability would be required.

/RP

I want all three! (I am greedy though :wink:) I only have two suggestions. One, by the looks of it, only the Gemini retrofit might be suitable for much beyond burning up in the atmosphere after it had served it's purpose. Two the Gemini retrofit might want a more conical shape given that, similar to Gemini, it would likely launch without a fairing.

EDIT: Gratz on 100 pages!

I really wasn't planning on using the Cargo Gemini for down mass capability. I was thinking of it more like the ATV / CARV, with normal Gemini being the CARV. Props for noticing the nature of the Gemini idea. It totally reminded me of one of those weird / awful proposals one of those contractors would make to try and stay relevant. Reentry is pretty rough, you'd want something like a Dyna-soar if you wanted down mass for experiments. Does ISS have anything like that now...?

Honestly, because I already need a 1.5m and 1.875m probe core anyways, I might just do all three. But then that raises a question of if I should do unique models / textures for them all. And what additional things I'll need.

19 hours ago, OTmikhail said:

@CobaltWolf Dude! Regarding which cargo container to use, can we have all 3? Unlock them in different tech nodes so you have to progress to use them in career. I mean I could still do that with Tweakscale, but it would be cool to have different ones with different KIS configs and maybe better extras for the larger ones, like resources and control. Maybe even a unique experiment kind of like the fire experiment that the Cygnus will do soon. 

Sounds like there's a big vote for 'All three'.

16 hours ago, sp1989 said:

Please please please don't misinterpret this because I have been a long time follower and I absolutely love and appreciate your work. However I saw this gif and I felt I needed to post it here because it not only represents the people waiting for you to get an official release for 1.1 but basically everyone else who wants to push their new found 64bit capabilities but have to wait for modders to update their mods. Please please please take your time and I know it will be worth the wait, but just know........

14 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

14 hours ago, sp1989 said:

Ok again its joke. I have been apart of this community for a while. I appreciate everything all of the modders do and I NEVER take it for granted. The gif was purely intended to be amusing and nothing more. I didn't  think I could have prefaced that more clearly in my previous post. I'm really sorry if it was interpreted any other way but amusing. Also as I said that attitude seems to be indicative of the whole community right now because they want to push the limits of their new found 64bit capeabilites. I stand by what I said because I would never take what you guys do for granted. You guys are miracle workers and make the game so much more enjoyable. I would never feel so arrogant or entitled to expect mod makers to hurry up and get things out quickly knowing full well how much effort it takes, that life exists outside of KSP, and you do all of what you do for the love of the game not for profit. Thag being said I don't wish to clutter this thread any longer I leave with a gif that explains how I feel after this rant.....

ps if you have never seen princess bride first.......second I'm sorry if you haven't and don't get the gifs/references.

I feel that. I'm trying to get a release candidate out in the next couple days. It won't have the MOL stuff but will include the Gemini (which is why I'm being patient), the couple extra Agena parts, the antennas revamp (btw we fixed the COM bug the other night), the improved textures, and some misc fixes. I also need to add the tags still and I have no clue where to start there without it being a big ordeal.

8 hours ago, helaeon said:

I see why. I work off of a Onedrive folder (Microsoft's cloud service) and somehow the sciencedefs file on my laptop go out of sync, making it leave two copies. If KSP finds a duplicate sciencedef it freaks out. Deleting the 'ScienceDefs-Matts-Laptop.cfg' file will fix it. I've cleared it off of my end.

4 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Just wanted to say that I personally like the look of the Agena version for the MOL resupply craft, if it's not too late for that.

My concern with Agena is that it's so small that I don't know how much volume could actually go in it. It almost seems wasteful. But it is also my favorite one appearance wise.

16 hours ago, macintux said:

Minor bug report here, the muo booster faring seems to get stuck and doesn't decouple properly.

2 hours ago, macintux said:

You need to download the source code for the current master branch off github. It's the download zip button when you're looking at the main page. The downloads on the 'Releases' page, both the normal zip and the source code, are for the 1.0.5 version still. It's a little confusing. Can you make 'unstable' releases on github? That sounds easier.

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

I thought 4/23 was the latest. Did @CobaltWolf even update today.  

No.

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Honestly, because I already need a 1.5m and 1.875m probe core anyways, I might just do all three. But then that raises a question of if I should do unique models / textures for them all. And what additional things I'll need.

Sounds like there's a big vote for 'All three'.

What you had there looked pretty good already, don't think unique assets are worth it. I second the 'all three's' because it seems like a waste to mock up all three and then just toss two.

This may have already been answered, but what do supply craft do gameplay wise? Would we need life support or EPL to make use of them?

15 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Most part-only mods keep working between versions, but they're often unbalanced because of changes to heat, aerodynamics, what have you. Since you've been playing it, did 1.1 do anything to merit changing part values? 

1 hour ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Most part-only mods keep working between versions, but they're often unbalanced because of changes to heat, aerodynamics, what have you. Since you've been playing it, did 1.1 do anything to merit changing part values? 

No, I don't believe so. It's all... pretty much the same. Save some performance increases from the better physics handling of Unity 5.

49 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I really wasn't planning on using the Cargo Gemini for down mass capability. I was thinking of it more like the ATV / CARV, with normal Gemini being the CARV. Props for noticing the nature of the Gemini idea. It totally reminded me of one of those weird / awful proposals one of those contractors would make to try and stay relevant. Reentry is pretty rough, you'd want something like a Dyna-soar if you wanted down mass for experiments. Does ISS have anything like that now...?

The reason why I think Cargo Gemini would have down mass is that the SM would already have space and linkages for Geminis heat shield and could reasonably fit one. That is if it were a bit shorter on the cylinder section. It also gives it more of a reason to be used side by side with Cargo Agena. The only real down-mass capable craft for ISS right now is the dragon capsule. As for model/textures they can probably be very similar, I'm thinking that KSA gave very tight requirements for the proposals and so all three company's came up with the same or very similar solutions.

Edit: Also of interest is the proposed Cygnus RCM (Return Cargo Module)

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

10 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Are we supposed to install the McDonnell folder that comes with the master from the github repo?

The mcDonnell folder is the gemini made by Beale for the BDB you just have to throw it into the game data folder :P(if you want it)

Edited by DiscoSlelge

On 4/22/2016 at 4:37 PM, JedTech said:

Hey did anyone ever make that MM patch to change the names of BDB parts to match their real life analogs?

I've done that manually for each original CFG, if anyone is interested I can make the MM patch. Creativeness is great but I prefer real name so I can know witch part is witch.