[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Sometimes Hype needs helpers and one of mine found this.

~snip~

I'd love a poster of that for sure! In the time waiting, the Saturn INT-18 is on the pad: Left the interstage skirt on to act as a giant "bell" to keep the expansion ratio decent for the S-II SL liftoff, x4 UA1205 SRMs to help TWR

Saturn INT-18 On the Launchpad

Saturn INT-18 pitch initiated

12 minutes ago, Abrecan said:

I'd love a poster of that for sure! In the time waiting, the Saturn INT-18 is on the pad: Left the interstage skirt on to act as a giant "bell" to keep the expansion ratio decent for the S-II SL liftoff, x4 UA1205 SRMs to help TWR

Saturn INT-18 On the Launchpad

Saturn INT-18 pitch initiated

They made a variant with Minuteman rockets actually. Just S-II and S-IVB.

8 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

They made a variant with Minuteman rockets actually. Just S-II and S-IVB.

The INT-19 used Minuteman-1 SRMs (4 to 12 to be exact), the INT-18 used 4 UA1205 or UA1207 SRMs

sat2120.gifImage result for saturn int-19

18 on left, 19 on the right

Edited by Abrecan

@CobaltWolf, I had a peak at the roadmap, I noticed that the Saturn C2 was missing. As far as I know, Saturn C2 was the Saturn 1 with a "high-energy" stage squeezed inbetween the S-1 stage and the S-IBN stage. All you'd need to make is a 3.75m x4 1.25m engine mount for the J2's. For the tank, we could just use the stretched S-IVB tank for the Saturn Multibody. Saturn C-3 is just the Saturn C-2, but with the dual F-1, 5m first stage.

Edited by awsumindyman

12 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

@CobaltWolf, I had a peak at the roadmap, I noticed that the Saturn C2 was missing. As far as I know, Saturn C2 was the Saturn 1 with a "high-energy" stage squeezed inbetween the S-1 stage and the S-IBN stage. All you'd need to make is a 3.75m x4 1.25m engine mount for the J2's. For the tank, we could just use the stretched S-IVB tank for the Saturn Multibody. Saturn C-3 is just the Saturn C-2, but with the dual F-1, 5m first stage.

I would love one as well. however, I do have an issue with it: The Sarnus 1 first stage can barely hold up an S-IVB with LF/O in it. (this is why Cobalt STRONGLY recommends CryoEngines; LqdHydrogen is much lighter.) However, with a 'High energy' and an 'S-IBN' stage, how could one make it able to take off without CryoEngines?

18 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Lots of Saturn hype here, but let me take a moment to share my Pioneer 4 Moon flyby in SSRSS.

Hide contents

r6nzVG7.png

I hate night screenshots as much as the next person, but because the Moon's orbit is inclined relative to Earth when its axial tilt is factored, I had a specific window in which to launch, which just so happened to be at night.

fvC9gxn.jpg

If all goes well this will be the first time I've seen the Moon close up in SSRSS or RSS.

QwWYxf7.png

TLI with the second stage of the SRB cluster.

ZXeRWr1.png

Unfortunately the rocket briefly flew out of control during launch and my efforts to re-correct it resulted in both an alteration of the craft's orbital inclination and the remaining fuel in the first stage to be expended, making it near impossible to adjust the orbit. Because of this I was forced to settle for a somewhat distant flyby of about 1,000,000 km. Next time I think I'll go with a liquid fuel upper stage...

Nice! That poor rocket never got enough love in real life (though for justifiable reasons) so it's nice to see it getting used here. And your mission results seem to be par for the course for early US lunar missions.

11 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Sometimes Hype needs helpers and one of mine found this.

~snip~

(P.S. Please be kind to the thread and snip the pic!)

Man I could stare at that for hours...

3 hours ago, Abrecan said:

~snip~

2 hours ago, Abrecan said:

The INT-19 used Minuteman-1 SRMs (4 to 12 to be exact), the INT-18 used 4 UA1205 or UA1207 SRMs

~snip~

18 on left, 19 on the right

Very cool! I was never really sold on that launcher until now - that looks pretty neat! Enough that I'll forgive you for using the wrong mod. ^.^ There was actually a fair amount of variation in the Saturn II proposals, so you could actually do even more tweaking with it. Makes me wonder when/if BDB will have hydrolox lifting engines. There is the modified LR-87 in the mod right now...

7 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

C-3 used, to my understanding, what would be a 5m version of the S-II stage (notice that it is not differentiated in name between those two variants, and the Saturn V / C-5 second stage) but still with 4 J2s. I know I definitely want to do that version, with that mounting plate. It wouldn't be hard to do some rescaling/tweaking with the mesh to get both versions of the mount. However, I doubt that you'll be able to work it - the Saturn 1B in BDB already has somewhat atrocious TWR, and the real one sat at 1.26 TWR according to Astronautix. I think it's a larger scale version of von Braun's Juno IV proposal, where it would never fly fully fueled, and the fuel loads in the stages would vary to provide the best TWR curve given a payload and its destination. So essentially, not as big/powerful a rocket as it appears just by looking at it.

Also, is S-IBN an autocorrect error? C-2 would have used the S-IV stage as a third stage, and then S-V (a modified centaur) as an optional 4th.

2 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

that sounds unrealistic.... but also 20 times cooler!

Not really. Strapping Titan UA120x's to Saturns was a common proposal, especially for the lower end of the launcher family. :)

(Most Saturn V growth variants show 260in solids, or big LRBs)