[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

9 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

plz rss/ro configs @Foxxonius Augustus

ill be sure to install in the ckan folder

8 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Tantares too?

1 hour ago, awsumindyman said:

@CobaltWolfWill we also get manufacturers tags, too?

All y'all get out, I'm not the one doing any of that stuff.

@Foxxonius Augustus that's actually not the ETS Aardvark, that's the one from @Angel-125's old project Contact Lost. One inspired the other or something. :)

Here's a neat little trick I found, for those who want to use it. I use the Smart Parts Altitude Controller to trigger the Muo (Atlas) Booster Fairing at 25km. It's worked reasonably well in the tests I've run. Here are some screenies to illustrate what I do.

Spoiler

Ds0lbde.png

My Settings for the controller. I set it to stage at 25km.

PBx8W7c.png

I use the Offset tool to move the controller inside the fairing so it doesn't make the rocket ugly.

Ehe3ZJr.png

I Then I move it down into the structure of the fairing so there's no chance of collisions.

gFnfFBo.png

Edited by DJ Reonic
Correction

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

All y'all get out, I'm not the one doing any of that stuff.

@Foxxonius Augustus that's actually not the ETS Aardvark, that's the one from @Angel-125's old project Contact Lost. One inspired the other or something. :)

I came up with the Aardvark after realizing that I needed a way to rearm my fighters. To speed things up, I used as many models that I'd already built as possible, like the service module and the 15-foot station model segment. I did a lot of research and discovered that Japan's cargo freighter had a section open to space, and found a pdf on NASA's AARDV. Putting it all together, I came up with the Aardvark. Then I realized that the missiles could be fired from their rotary storage rack, so the resupply craft could be a missile boat as well. Vigilance then had a way to become a missile cruiser and a carrier. :)

USAVVigilancecallouts.jpg

Good luck flying Vigilance, she's probably unbalanced, heh. :) Anyway, I did a lot of research for Contact Lost to make it semi-plausible (ignoring the fact that captured fire elementals powered the nuclear reactors- the existence of magic is a highly kept secret). My guess is that ETS had the same research and inspiration. It doesn't take much to put two and two together, especially when NASA has an acronym like AARDV. There is a lot of research material out there to draw from, and of course that research influences KSP as well. :)

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

@Angel-125 research material? Still have any of it saved somewhere? :)

Oh yeah, downloaded PDF, links to Wired articles, and the like. Things like an article about using the Apollo service module for Gemini led me to extend the Gemini shape to fit the Apollo SM diameter and make Big Blue Gemini, mostly because the trueSpace model that I imported into 3DS MAX looked terrible. I'll see what I can dig up.

Just now, Angel-125 said:

Oh yeah, downloaded PDF, links to Wired articles, and the like. Things like an article about using the Apollo service module for Gemini led me to extend the Gemini shape to fit the Apollo SM diameter and make Big Blue Gemini, mostly because the trueSpace model that I imported into 3DS MAX looked terrible. I'll see what I can dig up.

Sure! Shoot whatever you have to me over on the Discord.

3 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

@Angel-125  Wait, AARDV was a real proposal? I just thought it was something made up by ETS!

Yeah, it was a real NASA study.

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/458813main_FTD_AutomatedAutonomousRendezvousAndDockingVehicleOverview.pdf

Even more amusing was that I didn't want to make multiple docking port designs for my universe, so I had everybody standardize on the ILIDS (International Low Impact Docking System). I combined NASA's LIDS capture ring with the Russian hard dock ring. Keep in mind that this is back in 2009. Then I found out that NASA did the same thing, in the form of the NASA Docking System! Even better, I built LIMBS (Low Impact Module Berthing System) based upon a NASA study for using concentric docking rings. Somebody on the scifi-meshes boards thought it was real. :) When I said I did my research, I did my research...

Edited by Angel-125