[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 5/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, @Beale once made some photoshop'd screenshot mockups of a potential system using part families. So like the example was the stock 1.25m tanks, there would just be one icon in the part catalog, you right click it and the other 1.25m tanks slide out from behind it. Would be especially great for stuff like the Titan SRBs for which there are approximately 4 billion variants with... like, 4 more planned for whenever this new update gets released.

Also, the extras shouldn't have any ETS stuff anymore. Bespoke assets (read: new model/textures, not fan-made reskins/rescales) for all those parts were made... about 6 months ago or so.

Little late to the party, buuuut... Have you considered using the stock part switch function for that? I know it can switch meshes and attach nodes, but I'm not sure if it could let you change the performance of a part...

Hey great parts pack! I've been using it for a while and it's on my *must have* list now for the overall very high quality and general usefulness of the parts.

I do have one question though. On the MOS-LS "Mossy" Orbital Laboratory Segement is there any way to rotate the crew hatch so that the orientation of kerbals exiting the hatch is along the primary axis? I use that part in my science landers and it's really annoying that when my kebals exit to EVA on the surface they can't use the ladder like they could if they were coming out of most any other part. Getting back in isn't a problem, and of course it's easy enough to just press space and let them fall to the ground, but it just doesn't make sense. If this was supposed to be an aircraft part and the craft landed horizontally rather than vertically, then it would make sense - but as part of rocket - no.

Thanks!

On 5/17/2018 at 8:42 AM, MinimumSky5 said:

@Kerbal01 I found it easier to use the stock 3x symmetry 3 times, because it made setting up the staging much easier. Fine angle snapping looks good enough in flight, and I'm not certain that my save could handle any more mods, even small ones.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:25 AM, Kerbal01 said:

Interestingly, I found that harder than just using EEX.

EEX is definitely easier, I just don't want it to be a defacto dependency for using the Delta II and Atlas V parts.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:40 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

Little late to the party, buuuut... Have you considered using the stock part switch function for that? I know it can switch meshes and attach nodes, but I'm not sure if it could let you change the performance of a part...

On 5/18/2018 at 10:12 PM, Kerbal01 said:

4 billion new titan SRB's? sign me the heck up!

No - I've been trying to pursue something similar for a while, particularly for the Titan SRBs. As far as I understand, the issue is that the stats for parts are more or less compiled at game startup. B9 can get around some stuff, but can't combine stat changes and visual changes in one switcher. Additionally the total volume cannot be changed. Changing engine stats would require basically writing a new version of the engine module (not a small task) in a way that makes it accessible by the switcher. So, unfortunately not possible. :(

19 hours ago, schlosrat said:

Hey great parts pack! I've been using it for a while and it's on my *must have* list now for the overall very high quality and general usefulness of the parts.

I do have one question though. On the MOS-LS "Mossy" Orbital Laboratory Segement is there any way to rotate the crew hatch so that the orientation of kerbals exiting the hatch is along the primary axis? I use that part in my science landers and it's really annoying that when my kebals exit to EVA on the surface they can't use the ladder like they could if they were coming out of most any other part. Getting back in isn't a problem, and of course it's easy enough to just press space and let them fall to the ground, but it just doesn't make sense. If this was supposed to be an aircraft part and the craft landed horizontally rather than vertically, then it would make sense - but as part of rocket - no.

Thanks!

Hmm. Never really thought about that... never pictured someone landing that part! By way of justification, I believe when I made it my headcanon was that the interior layout would be similar to the Skylab MDA, which is arranged horizontally instead of vertically. I'll definitely think about it when I touch up the MOL parts.

Skylab_3_science_astronaut_Owen_Garriott

@CobaltWolf yesterday I had a contract that was not fulfilled, I suspect the GameData\Bluedog_DB\Parts\Gemini\bluedog_MOL_DockingPort.cfg but I'm not sure.

I had to move a Research Lab up to my existing station and dock it, the lab was recognized by the contract parameters, but the docking was not.

Could it be because of the "special" way this docking port has to be used?

• dock
  • retract ring
  • switch to the station
  • choose the other docking port
  • also retract ring
  • docked

If it would be possible, could the other docking port automatically retract its ring as soon the focused ring is done retracting?
This would mean that the docking process would happen while the focus is still on the craft that was sent up (so stock-alike behaviour) and I guess then the contract parameter would be fulfilled.

59 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@CobaltWolf yesterday I had a contract that was not fulfilled, I suspect the GameData\Bluedog_DB\Parts\Gemini\bluedog_MOL_DockingPort.cfg but I'm not sure.

I had to move a Research Lab up to my existing station and dock it, the lab was recognized by the contract parameters, but the docking was not.

Could it be because of the "special" way this docking port has to be used?

• dock
  • retract ring
  • switch to the station
  • choose the other docking port
  • also retract ring
  • docked

If it would be possible, could the other docking port automatically retract its ring as soon the focused ring is done retracting?
This would mean that the docking process would happen while the focus is still on the craft that was sent up (so stock-alike behaviour) and I guess then the contract parameter would be fulfilled.

I might recommend having the mos rings default/start to retracted.  This would be consistent between the cx ports and the MOS parts?  If that is a desire...idk. 

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

No - I've been trying to pursue something similar for a while, particularly for the Titan SRBs. As far as I understand, the issue is that the stats for parts are more or less compiled at game startup. B9 can get around some stuff, but can't combine stat changes and visual changes in one switcher. Additionally the total volume cannot be changed. Changing engine stats would require basically writing a new version of the engine module (not a small task) in a way that makes it accessible by the switcher. So, unfortunately not possible. :(

Really the only one's you are missing are the 5.5 and 6 segment 120 inch boosters. I'd take a extra part hit for those two.

31 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

What mod gives you those launch clamps! They look awesome!

Also, I just finished my SpaceX style reusable rocket... And most of the parts are from the Daleth 2! Well, time for some tweaks!

FASA Launch Clamps, which actually comes with BDB.

1 hour ago, MinimumSky5 said:

What mod gives you those launch clamps! They look awesome!

Also, I just finished my SpaceX style reusable rocket... And most of the parts are from the Daleth 2! Well, time for some tweaks!

1 hour ago, Kerbal01 said:

real scale boosters

1 hour ago, Kablob said:

FASA Launch Clamps, which actually comes with BDB.

It was RSB's Delta II tower. Not a whole lot to it when you look up close, but nice at a distance.

1 hour ago, space_powder said:

oof, i'm dumb

All good, the way to download the repository tends not to be obvious for people that have only ever seen the releases page of a Github project. I made that image a long time ago and have posted it here a few times :) Like I said, bonus is you get some other new goodies to go with it