[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yup. The use I was intending it for was turning the MDA from a 4 way node to a 6 way node, but I'm sure people can think of other uses :)

I will put it up later as I don't have a good picture of it.  But I put a APAS right in the middle of the Skylab Radiator for my Skylab-Enhanced/COS/DOS/ISS station I am currently assembling.   Using Station parts from 4 or 5 different mods to complete (Skylab from BDB obviously)   Currently have a reDirect Orion and a Mk2+ BDB Apollo (Mk2 capsule with AARDV Control betwixt the Heatsheild and the capsule so no pilot needed and the Mk3/5 tank engine combo for SM.)   I have an Agena doing a re-supply (no LS in this game but I still fly LS type missions every once and a while) and 2/3rds of the way through construction I realized I screwed up (it is supposed to be a H form factor station with 4 wings and a central core.....   I am using so many different Docking ports (APAS, Probe/Drogue and Gemini/Agena from BDB, SSTU 1.25m etc... I have several ports in the WRONG spot causing a series of problems... So it is linear with only 1 of it's projected 4 Solar Sail arrays.

cLXrrC0.jpg

You can just make out the APAS adaptor centered on the Radiator on the end of Skylab.   That is my Big Gemini docking port (and I don't have a good rocket to Lift Big Gemini there without being wasteful ATM... and I don't have the funds to be Wasteful.   I wasted too much money on the reDirect Orion that is docked there... 

Alright, I've been pulling my hair out over Titan but one of the bigger roadblocks has been solved: How to handle the arrangement of the top of the first/bottom of the second stage. There were a lot of different ways to do this, but this new arrangement is basically the same as the current one, just better proportioned :)

EfuLuXc.png

wKEmK2q.png

Credit for the awesome drawing that solved my modder's block goes to Jso :)

So, now there will be a mesh switch toggle to raise the dome in the top half of the first stage (as now, the first stage will be split into two tanks, which also makes creating a Titan-3 alike easier since we can just add a stretched version of the upper tank) so that it's visible through the decoupler - that's a really visually distinctive thing to Titan that we wanted to capture, without limiting the legoing ability of the tank.

The decoupler will be similar to the one we have now, but won't mess with the rockets proportions nearly as much. It's looking like the Titan parts will have at least 3 texture variants so the decoupler will be able to be used with any of the variants. I'm still going to make a new generic 1.875m low profile decoupler and low profile fairing base - I know the Atlas ones are there too but I want to make more... 'industrial' ones for Titan and other uses. I like the arrangement we chose because we get a unique decoupler out of it, and the autoshroud for the later variants with the extra sets of 3 cutouts over the sets of 4 is easily doable.

The second stage is going to get remade, again. I think a lot of the issue was that the proportions of the details were all off, and it wasn't actually being accurate to the construction of the stage. I think once I remake it to properly reflect the tank arrangement, it will look better.

There's still some niggling issues on how to arrange the bottom of the first stage (ie how much should be part of the engine's plate and how much should be part of the tank), but otherwise it feels like we're full steam ahead again on Titan :)

I'm planning on trying to do a dev stream this Sunday, starting in the early morning, to try and catch up and keep pace. Still not in a rush to get this stuff in game - there are enough other issues, mainly regarding 'not designing ourselves into a hole and making the remaining variants harder', that I want to get most of the core stacks to some sort of point before I get them in game. Things like the SRBs are fairly unconnected to these decisions and thus don't worry me / aren't on my mind yet.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Has something happened to the Atlas performance graphs on the Github wiki? The Imgur links aren't worked, and I for one was finding those things very useful! 

I'm redoing those with better Isp coefficients, tomorrow I will post the new graphs. Some of the images are still available in the wiki. Just open them in a new tab and they should be in glorious 9k x 3k resolution :)

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

Alright, started over again on the second stage. Basically, first time through I didn't actually grasp the actual underlying design that made it have the weird patterns it did. This time I do, and I think the final result will be better. But I didn't take any screenshots. :P I'm planning on doing a dev stream on Sunday to try and finish as much as I can of Titan 2.

In the meantime, here's a little side project I've been working on...

p4pwYxc.png

The new delta-v charts are available on the wiki (and on imgur)

Changelog:

Spoiler

Separation = booster skirt separation or staging, ok :) 

• The charts now have 5 procedural tags indicating where the Atlas configuration so people won't need to read the complicated Atlas manual 
    1. TWR too small after separation; where the Atlas will have TWR<1 after booster skirt separation;
    2. TWR after separation approximately 1; quite self explaining...;
    3. Good to Go!, showing how atlas should be configured for launch;
    4. TWR before separation approximately 3 (or 3.6 depending on the version);
    5. TWR too high before separation; where Atlas will have a TWR too high (>3 or >3.6)
  • The payload mass has a cut off value based on two criteria, it cuts off in the smallest of them
    1. Δ<3400 m/s if all propellant is used in the sustainer phase;
    2. TWR at sea level must >be greater than 1.
  • Propellant use ratio also has a cutoff point where TWR after separation = 1 when payload mass =0kg;
  • Effective specific impulse was slightly tweaked;
  • Atlas II added (but not Atlas IIAS, the one with SRBs)
  • Thicker contour lines, looking better now.

Preview of the new charts

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are those new H-1 engines???

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright, started over again on the second stage. Basically, first time through I didn't actually grasp the actual underlying design that made it have the weird patterns it did. This time I do, and I think the final result will be better. But I didn't take any screenshots. :P I'm planning on doing a dev stream on Sunday to try and finish as much as I can of Titan 2.

p4pwYxc.png

H-1 or LR-101 revamp?

Edited by Kerbal01

1 hour ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

The new delta-v charts are available on the wiki (and on imgur)

Thanks a bunch for these! Stage and half Atlas is possibly the most fun rocket in BDB (and therefore the whole game) for me. Usually followed the 30s of fuel left rule but this looks super helpful especially now that I'm trying 2.5x scale.

KLMcxV2h.png

Edit: Charts working beautifully for me! I've unlocked both the lifter engine upgrades so I'm downrating them to 89% when using the SLV and Atlas I series. results seem pretty much spot on in the couple of flights I've tried

Edited by Zorg

37 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

Are those new H-1 engines???

Yes, I have been planning on trying to sneak in a revamp to the Saturn engines for a while now.

25 minutes ago, Kerbal01 said:

LR-101 revamp?

vernier-engine-tca.jpg

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

18 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@CobaltWolf what would the diameter of a 7m rocket in real life be in KSP

Uh, 7 * 0.625 = 4.375m but I don't think I've ever seen anything in that size.

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@CobaltWolf what would the diameter of a 7m rocket in real life be in KSP

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well 4.375m is an even 0.625m increment between the two.

Interestingly I've been trying to do an empirical analysis on this using a mean average of the ratios of real life to Kerbal, applied to most BDB crafts and multiple of Tantares crafts;

4.375 would indeed be the approximate scale, with only  1.40% error,

Titan II GLV is currently the winner at only 0.25% error

If anyone wants to see my working, it is visible on a Google Sheets document

On 2/26/2019 at 11:58 AM, Marcelo Silveira said:

So... I decided to calculate the Scout's payload performance and came up with this graph...

Can I just say how awesome it is that KSP allows people who *want* to calculate payload performance to actually do so and come up with some (presumably) accurate information.

Kudos to you sir! Kudos to you and your maths. :D

Me, I strap some boosters on and hope for the best. LOL I couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't calculate anything... and I'm glad the game doesn't make me!

But seriously (not trolling), very cool to indulge your passion with this great game and sharing it with folks.

Edited by scottadges