[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

6 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Sorry, typo. You're right, it's a "C". You sure you couldn't cram it in somehow? Or at least change the gimbal hardware to fixed supports?

Not the worst idea... I will see what I can do. But, in the meantime, maybe another WIP part would make you feel better...

e4NVAbh.png

What a nice collection. It's probably the first time most of those existed in 3D. Thumbs up for the extendable nozzle. :) 

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, DriftedCougar said:

Hhmmm whats that J-2 with yellow thingies on the side?

J-2S. It was the planned upgrade with slightly better performance, lower weight improved ease of manufacture, and it replaced the pressurized starting tank for the turbopump with a series of solid start cartridges (the yellow things).

Don't have time to get them up on Github tonight, but 4 more new parts! Using the space leftover on the Transtage texture sheet.

4-way, 2-way, and radial RCS as well as an antenna based on one of the instrumentation/engineering antenna on the Titan 3A launches.
(It's a launch antenna, think RemoteTech Dipole antenna)

The later Transtage (23C and 34D) switched to a 6 pod design. 4x linear RCS, 2x 2-way RCS. Early (3A, 3C) launches used 2x linear and 2x 3-way.

The 4 way RCS is meant to be used with X-20 or other similar payloads.
It's intended that these give you a good set of "medium RCS" to use in the midgame. (While the Apollo would be the "large").

1h7JEKX.png

Titan 3A Transtage with engineering antenna (above and to the right of the linear RCS pod)

WymRC4M.png

Titan 23C with the 6-pod RCS configuration (need to zoom to see)

DF-SC-84-05192_cropped.jpeg

3mQKQzn.png

1cOn3ck.png

Titan 3C rocket with 4-pod RCS layout

dH5JnQS.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Interesting, the OGO probe core makes for a great rover body. 

Tflilbl.png

I made some changes to its cfg so it can be used as best as possible as a rover.

//Added nodes
	node_stack_X+ = 0.3125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
	node_stack_X- = -0.3125, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
	node_stack_Z+ = 0.0, 0.0, 0.225, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
	node_stack_Z- = 0.0, 0.0, -0.225, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0

//Optimized ModuleCommand
    MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 0
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.025
		}
		hasHibernation = True

defaultControlPointDisplayName = Forward
		CONTROLPOINT
		{
			name = up
			displayName = Up
			orientation = -90,0,0
		}
		CONTROLPOINT
		{
			name = reverse
			displayName = Reversed
			orientation = 0,0,180
		}
	}
}

I also copied the cfg to add a ballast version, without ModuleCommand just a Lead block. Its useful for testing launch vehicles

3 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

Is there a reason for that? Is an inflatable nozzle lighter than a more traditional nozzle extension?

If you read the link in the Twitter thread, it goes into a bit more detail. Basically, there was an Air Force engine development project for a fixed extension, so the Airmat went ahead on the J-2 to not be redundant.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

This serves the dual purpose of making sure people know I have a Twitter I'm trying to use more, and giving me an easy way to upload this video clip.

I was wondering what the reasons behind the animation were. Now I know and am happy I learned something new again.

Keep up the good work! I love it!

11 minutes ago, KerbalKore said:

Will it have real plume for those of us who use that? (Looking amazing btw)

Those are custom RealPlumes :). It only appears when RealPlume is installed but its built using dedicated FX provided by Jade rather than whats included in RealPlume by default.

edit: The "stock" plumes will also use FX provided by Jade, they might look different on some engines and they wont expand like realplumes but they will look amazing too for those who dont use realplume.

Edited by Zorg

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Daddy @Dragon01 I've come to please you <3

Looks like it worked out quite well. :) I like it. 

The J-2T looks fine, too, though the plume doesn't exactly resemble that of an LH2 engine... Though it does resemble one test picture that is purposed to be of J-2T. Makes me wonder what were the conditions in this test, I found some information suggesting it might not have been a complete engine. 

Edited by Guest

On 7/10/2019 at 11:24 PM, CobaltWolf said:

ಠ_ಠ

ERrr I was thinking KSP scale to real life...   *oooff

4.28 meters x 7.72 meters tall or about 15 feet x  25 feet (width / height) so just under HALF the diameter of an S-1C for a CORRECTED size comparison....

51 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

The J-2T looks fine, too, though the plume doesn't exactly resemble that of an LH2 engine... Though it does resemble one test picture that is purposed to be of J-2T. Makes me wonder what were the conditions in this test, I found some information suggesting it might not have been a complete engine. 

EDIT IIRC  EDIT Hydrolox can burn anywhere from orange to blue...  At the "ideal" ratio it is blue-ish with yellow flecks...   At a Fuel rich level it is quite Orange-yellow...  

The "J-2T" that was tested is not the J-2T that was envisioned.  In fact it was called J-2 Toroidal and not J-2T at all! Rather it was a small(er) scale Torodial on a J-2 pump system (not a J-2S!)   It ran fuel rich (I think) which is why you see the orange-yellow color in its exhaust in the one photo I have seen.   So yes, not a complete J-2T....  But also YES a Franken-engine cobbled to test the IDEA of J-2T.  

I found several "articles"  a few years ago on the J-2T family in the interweb newsgroups.   The Test engine was good for ~50k pounds of force.  The initial J-2T was to be 200K lb/force and then unrated, first to 250k lb/force and finally to ~400k lb/force.   The 400k lb/force would use the J-2S turbopump system at full capacity and require a larger Toroidal nozzle.   The 200/250k versions would use J-2S at a restricted/reduced performance  IIRC the 400k would not work on the S-II stage without a completely new thrust structure (to allow room for the larger diameter Torroidal.    These articles were lacking in any sort of documentation and I trust them as far as I can throw myself (and since I am still re-habbing my arm I can NOT currently do a hand stand TO throw myself!)     I share them because some of the basics in this information DOES match what we see on various "reputable" tech/history websites covering the J-2 family.

Edited by Pappystein
IIRC

55 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

4 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

EDIT IIRC  EDIT Hydrolox can burn anywhere from orange to blue...  At the "ideal" ratio it is blue-ish with yellow flecks...   At a Fuel rich level it is quite Orange-yellow...  

The "J-2T" that was tested is not the J-2T that was envisioned.  In fact it was called J-2 Toroidal and not J-2T at all! Rather it was a small(er) scale Torodial on a J-2 pump system (not a J-2S!)   It ran fuel rich (I think) which is why you see the orange-yellow color in its exhaust in the one photo I have seen.   So yes, not a complete J-2T....  But also YES a Franken-engine cobbled to test the IDEA of J-2T.  

I found several "articles"  a few years ago on the J-2T family in the interweb newsgroups.   The Test engine was good for ~50k pounds of force.  The initial J-2T was to be 200K lb/force and then unrated, first to 250k lb/force and finally to ~400k lb/force.   The 400k lb/force would use the J-2S turbopump system at full capacity and require a larger Toroidal nozzle.   The 200/250k versions would use J-2S at a restricted/reduced performance  IIRC the 400k would not work on the S-II stage without a completely new thrust structure (to allow room for the larger diameter Torroidal.    These articles were lacking in any sort of documentation and I trust them as far as I can throw myself (and since I am still re-habbing my arm I can NOT currently do a hand stand TO throw myself!)     I share them because some of the basics in this information DOES match what we see on various "reputable" tech/history websites covering the J-2 family.

The bible for this stuff would be this document from this page.

Incidentally, that's also why this new version of the J-2T is gimballed and not just using thrust differential steering.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

The bible for this stuff would be this document from this page.

Incidentally, that's also why this new version of the J-2T is gimballed and not just using thrust differential steering.

Thanks for the link.   It looks like I was right to edit my post as IIRC!!!   So the TEST engine was 250K lb/force.   I am in the middle of reading FRA-MiG-29/35 that released last week or I would binge read this tonight.     I wonder why most websites credit the J-2T as being 200k lb/force instead of the 250K used in this.    Oh well Like I said I will read this later this weekend.   I might be-able to glean a couple other gems out of it.

BTW @CobaltWolf  I didn't say it earlier but I think your J-2Ts are spot on for shape and overall look.  They are very faithful to many of the 3 view drawings of the J-2T I have or have seen.  All of this new generation of Engines are great to amazing.

5 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

though the plume doesn't exactly resemble that of an LH2 engine... Though it does resemble one test picture that is purposed to be of J-2T.

Yes the plume (which is still early WIP) is based off of the, well I wouldn't say iconic since its such an obscure thing, but lets say distinctive image of a test firing. Why it looks the way it does raised my curiosity as well as it kind of implies that something is ablating. However, I havent been able to find anything about such issues in the available documentation. The base appears to have been made out of inconel not any sort of ablator.  The turbo exhaust is pumped out through perforations in it but that wouldnt necessarily explain this.

ADP_250K_Tube_Wall.png

I suppose its not completely out of the question that it may have been colourised... but it doesnt look very translucent to me regardless.

In any case the decision was made after discussion with Cobalt to stick with the picture as inspiration and make a plume with an ablative appearance for the J2T, call it artistic license.

Edited by Zorg

4 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Oh I missed this post before my above reply that's interesting. I had noticed the XRS 2200 looked suspiciously yellow as well so was quite intrigued :huh:

1920px-Twin_Linear_Aerospike_XRS-2200_Engine_PLW_edit.jpg

This one is blue, it just turns yellow shortly after it leaves the spike. Which is not unexpected, this can happen in LH2 engines at that point. This is different from J-2T, which is "dirty" orange all the way through. All J-2 versions I know of ran mixture ratios from 4.8 to 5.5, while orange plumes tend to indicate ratios closer to 6. That one looks like something is ablating, or the exhaust is incredibly hydrogen-rich. Do note that this is not a flight configuration, probably not even a complete engine.

Edited by Guest