[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I think I have a request but I have to check my list, one sec.

Gemini retro pack and service module... hmm, that's in processing now, so will just wait.

Mercury... nope that's already being tested.

Apollo stuff... oh this is old, I can check this off, I like what we have currently.

Uh.. Voskhod... what is that?  I'll just cross that out.

Welp, looks like everything on my wish list is either in processing or we have pretty good stuff in the mod already.  Voskhod sounds like some made up Soviet thing, not sure why I wrote it down.

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Sooo, it's a full Gemini revamp, or just some additional parts?

First priority is to basically get back up to the current state of functionality. The point is, once I've done that, Gemini will no longer be "something that I don't want to add too much to because I want to redo it in the future". Once I've redone it, that block is removed and I can basically count on additional variants I make being forward compatible. The Apollo/Saturn parts have the same problem. I'm just less eager to redo them without knowing how the KSP2 PBR shaders will be set up.

I have a very unfinished wishlist for Gemini, with a focus on the current revamp and low-hanging-fruit parts that I would need to make, or need to come with it to replicate current functionality. So for instance I plan on making an SM variant from the "Lunar Recon Gemini" study, where the retro and equipment sections of the adapter are basically welded into a single unit with extra monoprop. That would basically add back the current SM. So here's the wishlist, feel free to suggest things (preferably with links to more information on what you mean) with the understanding I'm willing to hold on to a lot of ideas but might not do more than the essentials for this update... er, that also means that this list doesn't mean I plan on doing this all right now.

- Accurate split of service/retro modules
- All three parachutes (Drogue, Pilot, Main)
- Accurate nose for docking and non docking missions
- Dual Point and Single Point parachute options w/ accompanying B9 switch for the capsule to have the bridle... I guess the RCS needs the variants as well?
- Early and Late model Retro/Equipment sections - also have B9 switches to take on the other's external appearance if possible. Late model would have fuel cells in addition to batteries
- Accurate RCS layout
- Toggleable mylar covering over bottom of equipment section.
- Accurate hatches (ie two of them. Won't be able to do the IRL "door open during IVA" thing.
- Gemini-I hatch B9 switch (adds upwards looking window, was also studied for MORL Ferry)
- Gemini 4 Magnetometer (mounts in aft section)
- Gemini 7 (6?)... gold thingies that are mounted on the SM
- Radar Evaluation Pod (basically a little probe you deploy that lets you practice rendezvous... leave me alone its cute)
- Gemini Rogallo paintjob (Paint variants in general...)
- Morning of the Maple Leaf Arrow SM
- Lunar Recon Gemini parts (LES has already been made)
- Gemini Ferry for MORL parts (mostly modified SM)
- Gemini B (MOL Gemini) parts - alternate SM, alternate heatshield would be cool if pointless. But probably worth doing.
- Revamped Augustus autonomous pod, Big G crew cabin and the 1.875m "Rumble Seat" with respective
- Legs/skids? Would require a modified RCS section and then depth-mask based legs that go in the empty panels on the Gemini. IE I'll have to UV it so that looks right from the get-go. Easy, since the panel layout remained unchanged on the real thing.

29 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

So here's the wishlist, feel free to suggest things (preferably with links to more information on what you mean) with the understanding I'm willing to hold on to a lot of ideas but might not do more than the essentials for this update... er, that also means that this list doesn't mean I plan on doing this all right now.

Frankly, my largest wish is to see BDB 1.7 released, even if that means putting currently unfinished things (Hexagon etc) into the next update.

As for Gemini - Rogallo wing, if it's possible to do it accurately (will probably need RetractableLiftingSurface plugin)

57 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Gemini 7 (6?)... gold thingies that are mounted on the SM

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/002005.html

Page 274 (273) of this document:  https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19720003207

During the Mercury revamp, I got curious about the different stuff on the Mercury and Gemini.  I then saw those gold thingies on Gemini VII, and began a 30 minute google search to find out what they were.

To sum up the document, they are radiometry experiments to measure the wavelengths coming off of various things while in orbit, like clouds for instance.  I'm not entirely sure what the results suggest or what other experiments occurred because of these results, so hopefully someone else can fill us in?

Edited by MashAndBangers

28 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Frankly, my largest wish is to see BDB 1.7 released, even if that means putting currently unfinished things (Hexagon etc) into the next update.

As for Gemini - Rogallo wing, if it's possible to do it accurately (will probably need RetractableLiftingSurface plugin)

Yeah I don't know... It kinda feels like ripping a bandaid. Might as well try and replace everything at once. :)

And yeah, that'll be the big limiting factor for Gemini recovery options and such. I don't really have any desire to integrate more dependencies.

16 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/002005.html

Page 274 (273) of this document:  https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19720003207

During the Mercury revamp, I got curious about the different stuff on the Mercury and Gemini.  I then saw those gold thingies on Gemini VII, and began a 30 minute google search to find out what they were.

To sum up the document, they are radiometry experiments to measure the wavelengths coming off of various things while in orbit, like clouds for instance.  I'm not entirely sure what the results suggest or what other experiments occurred because of these results, so hopefully someone else can fill us in?

Thanks for the info! That's more than enough for me to go on :)

2 minutes ago, zakkpaz said:

the what?

Morning of the Maple Leaf, E of Pi and Polish Eagle's (authors of Right Side Up) April Fools 2018 timeline. :)

13 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Actually we do:

Q: Will existing mods will be supported?

A: Existing Mods will not be compatible on Kerbal Space Program 2.

Sorry I should have been clear.  We don't know HOW MUCH change will be needed.  It could be a simple few lines of code for most of the mod... or it COULD be a complete rebuild.   That was what I was saying

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

- Gemini B (MOL Gemini) parts - alternate SM, alternate heatshield would be cool if pointless. But probably worth doing.

I won't spend time with lots of platitudes about how AWESOME this is going to be or how badly I can't wait for it....    

Did I eve see code to handle both firing modes of the Gemini B SM De-orbit 6 pack in the bdb.dll plugin?

Mode 1 for normal re-entry was to fire 2 alternate Rockets at a time (upper left + lower right, Upper right + Lower left, Upper and lower center I think was the order) 

Mode 2 was for ON PAD Abort (Because with MOL the Launch tower was partially in the way of the Ejection Seats for Gemini Mk1 so they eliminated them I think)   Fire all 6 at once.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

And yeah, that'll be the big limiting factor for Gemini recovery options and such. I don't really have any desire to integrate more dependencies.

There is always the AB-Historical method with the Bluntie Wing Liftingbody as part of the SM (ala what Frizzank did in FASA)   It has two big benefits, 

1. someone else has already done it in KSP (and did it well)
  2. it solves the no additional dependencies.    

But the drawbacks are many:

1. It is not historical
  2. It is ugly
  3. it is hard to fly
  4. it is hard to launch (big fins on the tail of the Rocket ala X-20)
  5. It is closer in concept to the X-20 than the Gemini IRL
  6. and I could go on

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

- Legs/skids? Would require a modified RCS section and then depth-mask based legs that go in the empty panels on the Gemini. IE I'll have to UV it so that looks right from the get-go. Easy, since the panel layout remained unchanged on the real thing.

Would it make sense to Separate the Pressure vessel from the rest of the Base cone of the Gemini capsule?    So Door hing to door hing would be the only "outer skin" that would be modeled as part of the base capsule and the Lower hull would contain the rest of the outer skin.

I think Somewhere I have a drawing of the Pressure vessel portion of the Gemini capsule if it would help

Basically that way if any changes have to happen on the bottom side (below the seats) the graphic would only change as needed....  (Oh and then you could use those spaces for other fun things!)

Edited by Pappystein

So yesterday I decided to make a Dunian orbital station !

There is Mars One module A.

1584406970-ksp-x64-3f7qbswwyr.jpg

Joined year after by Module B for Duna terrain observation (scope inside the cargo bay) and sat launch for crew communication incomming!

1584406974-ksp-x64-wx6olafpho.jpg

And then the crew launch, using Apollo Eve WW !

1584406979-ksp-x64-lsiua5qfdl.jpg

1584406983-ksp-x64-q5ivkltovv.jpg

1584406989-ksp-x64-kjifhcelhq.jpg

More coming following days, probably ressuplies, the SIVB WW is still in orbit not that far from the station I think I'll refuel it for the crew departure.

I put things together in ways unintended
I-is this allowed?

fY159UQ.jpg

Spoiler

iEMwmvO.png

RFOhIPG.jpgvTnupPQ.png
mpyQAzS.pngozGAKyQ.pngcKwgEYR.png7NsIPZq.pngye6J3oF.pngB7WnEzc.pngMUD7qsj.pngHlGEB8z.jpg

I needed to return some spicy data from orbit, but the spyglass devices were too thicc for my little Etoh so I made a bespoke satellite using an interstage and the mariner whatcha-whozit as a bus

H4zaPMO.jpgye6J3oF.png

Edited by Maffif

I got frustrated hunting around for the right launch vehicle to use for whatever bonkers payload I'd mashed up so started roughing out the max payload for each of my craft files to get into JNSQ LKO using KER.  Then I turned it into a graph. And added pictures.  There's no science to it and some may not actually work all that well but it's enough to get in the right ballpark when choosing an LV.

XGWBvVc.png

Added to the BDB wiki under "Payload & Performance" at the bottom

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

I got frustrated hunting around for the right launch vehicle to use for whatever bonkers payload I'd mashed up so started roughing out the max payload for each of my craft files to get into JNSQ LKO using KER.  Then I turned it into a graph. And added pictures.  There's no science to it and some may not actually work all that well but it's enough to get in the right ballpark when choosing an LV.

XGWBvVc.png

Added to the BDB wiki under "Payload & Performance" at the bottom

This thing is awesome. Now all we need is for some glutton for punishment helpful soul to make craft files and/or subassemblies for all the launch vehicles. I have tried doing this myself, and I always wind up having to do some major change to my install and I lose the crafts.

1 minute ago, DJ Reonic said:

This thing is awesome. Now all we need is for some glutton for punishment helpful soul to make craft files and/or subassemblies for all the launch vehicles. I have tried doing this myself, and I always wind up having to do some major change to my install and I lose the crafts.

Guess who's a glutton for punishment helpful soul

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/754

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Guess who's a glutton for punishment helpful soul

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/754

You were right the first time.  I just updated all the Tantares craft files too :blink:

Zorg inevitably pointed out a flaw in my plan.  For LV's which are optimised for higher orbits, such as Titan IVB with a Centaur, I should have factored in the mass of the upper stage.  That adds around ~4600Kg to their payload capacity and in fact, maybe even better with no upper stage.  I'll redo the graph in due course.

Edited by Friznit

On 3/16/2020 at 6:24 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I'm just less eager to redo them without knowing how the KSP2 PBR shaders will be set up.

If you author the materials in substance painter you shouldn't have this issue, substance already has presets for unity 5 setup. You can import maps from Photoshop straight over, the main thing used to assign material values is a coloured ID Map that you can just manually author.

From the looks of things its just a normal PBR rough setup for unity 5, I imagine this will be what ksp2 will use as they will most likely use substance for texturing

Edited by ltajax

16 minutes ago, DriftNasty said:

Are these testable? I took a break from KSP for a while and noticed all the new work you've done. Impressive

They're like... half working? we're still adding features to the parts and I have some modeling left to do on stuff like the stored parachutes.