[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, Zarbon44 said:

So i found this proposal of 2 x 5 SRM launcher, so i made it with BDB.

Nice,  Care to share how you made it?    I attempted this as part of the Saturn INT-16 launch a week or so ago and Could not make it mesh well.  Too many points of part intersection.   PS that proposal is for Saturn, as well OTHER things :P

4 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

Where?

Its just the commit message from cobalt when he uploaded the gemini stuff to github. He would rather people wait for the artwork to be done. Its been uploaded so that the we can have the config stuff ready in advance so that when the completed stuff is up, its more or less ready to roll.

The balloon's gone up! Push the button!

Something, uh, different for v2.1 of Modular Launch Pads: the Jupiter IRBM "petal" cover used at the launch sites in Turkey.  Or, another way to dress up launches with, um, "science" payloads. ;) 

Cobalt was the one who suggested it, more as a joke, but I made it a reality! :D 

Starting now to transfer/remake the rest of the existing (now the older) Launch Stand parts to the new texture series. First up was the old Tier 1 Small Service Tower, now remade and renamed as the Mini Service Tower - Truss Type.

It is now just a single 6m high tower section that can be stacked by turning off the base pad on the additional sections. Still has the red&white color scheme as the default.  Also has optional side panel configurations (though they are kind of small :D ).

I did it this way to provide a shorter tower option for small rockets while still allowing a taller tower to be made, without inflating the .mu file size with a bunch of variants that would play hell with the tier 1 launch pad height limit.

Wppngmk.png

3LlFVi0.png

Ah, the majestic- ...Oh. That's not a Saturn V.

Behold, the Herakles V, an unholy abomination! Primed and ready for a Mun mission in JNSQ.

Mission album here: https://imgur.com/a/Td9hLvs

Album embeds in spoiler:

Spoiler

H4Ag177.png

Herakles V on ascent. Powerful.

ecrKoYz.png

Circularizing with the H-II second stage. Also powerful.

y76ORBX.png

H-IVB upper stage takes over for the transfer. The mun is very small from here, bless.

eHwFmDs.png

Fairing open and command module rotation complete, we're closing in!

85QVK9F.png

Lander away! Thing was a real pain to build, but works flawlessly.

MIhQOKX.png

Heading down to the Mun. It's so pretty in JNSQ.

qxlQjw8.png

We're down! Planted a nice flag.

3vQixYe.png

And here's how we're getting back. Hollow parts are wonderful for lander bases.

4WHK9aJ.png

tiny spaceship go wheee

VjMY4Tf.png

Docked with the command module. Time to go home.

TsVjW0k.png

Burning back to Kerbin. You can see the discarded return capsule from here.

Mklebv9.png

Braking burn at a 100km periapsis to lose some speed. There's no way we're going to reenter going THIS fast, so we'll do it on the second pass once we've orbited.

HXhpBFD.png

Farewell, service module. A fiery fate awaits you. Please don't come back and slam into us at several hundred miles an hour like on the last flight.

ExhkFim.png

Spicy reentry over the deserts.

r29EFMz.png

Powered landing? With a drogue chute? Madness.

nGjJoT6.png

Home safe. It only took three long and painful mission attempts!

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

All new Delta III adapter tank.

Question that I've wanted to ask since 1.7.0 development start.

This is obviously 1.7.0 Thor/Delta tanks. Does that mean there will be no visual help for 9xSRB configs in 1.7.0?

Just now, biohazard15 said:

This is obviously 1.7.0 Thor/Delta tanks. Does that mean there will be no visual help for 9xSRB configs in 1.7.0?

The old RS27 boattail is being touched up and will be provided (sans engine). It will have those indents to help you line up the GEMs. But I dunno if theres a plan to provide a visual aid for the early boattail. 

3 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

The old RS27 boattail is being touched up and will be provided (sans engine). It will have those indents to help you line up the GEMs. But I dunno if theres a plan to provide a visual aid for the early boattail.

The early (technical a UBT?) boattail is kinda supposed to be agnostic, since Thor was used in so many variants. To me it seemed simple enough to line up the decouplers (which I also have to fix still...) with the bottom of the boattail.

The old boattail, like Zorg said, is being stripped of the engine and verniers and needs a texture pass.

I also need to fix the new tankage to be able to get rid of the old Delta II tankage. The current lengths are wrong... hopefully I can also give the blue tankage variant a bit more character too, which IMO its currently lacking.

My brain is fried from all the Gemini stuff and getting through the more complex remaining things. Would people be happy if I took an afternoon to try and finish sorting out the outstanding issues with the Thor/Delta stuff in the meantime?

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

My brain is fried from all the Gemini stuff and getting through the more complex remaining things. Would people be happy if I took an afternoon to try and finish sorting out the outstanding issues with the Thor/Delta stuff in the meantime?

*Checks work ID for Job title*   Doesn't say I am your task master! :D        Looks at Cobaltwolf's work badge...    Says Cobaltwolf is Cobaltwolf's own taskmaster.....   scratches head.... you asked for permission why?   :D

Ok Seriously: Yes please do what you need to do!   Also, PLEASE do everything you need to NOT BURN OUT!    Gemini is a LOT of parts.   It doesn't ALL need to be done today  End Seriousness

(insert stupid give it to me now meme here before posting)

================================================================

But an idea for the basic Thor stuff.   Given "Remove from Symmetry" is now a thing, I would re-suggest the addition of 9 nodes around the boat-tail for the Castor Decouplers to attach on to.   Making them surface/node attach.   That way 9 Decouplers can be placed, and then with remove symmetry can be broken into the 6+3 burn profile or some decouplers can be removed (to even do that funky looking 4x and 7x booster options that I don't think ever actually flew)

Personally I don't have an Issue using 3x symmetry and holding the shift key to get the SRMs in place. in 3 groups of three and then lumping them into 2 groups for burning and ditching the waste SRM casings.

Oh and if the idea sucks, throw it in the trash :)

Edited by Pappystein

9 hours ago, Pappystein said:

*Checks work ID for Job title*   Doesn't say I am your task master! :D        Looks at Cobaltwolf's work badge...    Says Cobaltwolf is Cobaltwolf's own taskmaster.....   scratches head.... you asked for permission why?   :D

Ok Seriously: Yes please do what you need to do!   Also, PLEASE do everything you need to NOT BURN OUT!    Gemini is a LOT of parts.   It doesn't ALL need to be done today  End Seriousness

(insert stupid give it to me now meme here before posting)

================================================================

But an idea for the basic Thor stuff.   Given "Remove from Symmetry" is now a thing, I would re-suggest the addition of 9 nodes around the boat-tail for the Castor Decouplers to attach on to.   Making them surface/node attach.   That way 9 Decouplers can be placed, and then with remove symmetry can be broken into the 6+3 burn profile or some decouplers can be removed (to even do that funky looking 4x and 7x booster options that I don't think ever actually flew)

Personally I don't have an Issue using 3x symmetry and holding the shift key to get the SRMs in place. in 3 groups of three and then lumping them into 2 groups for burning and ditching the waste SRM casings.

Oh and if the idea sucks, throw it in the trash :)

Well I'll leave that up to Cobalt to consider. The best method (and this goes for the old Delta II build as well) is to use the wonderful Editor Extensions mod to place them all nice and even with straight up 9x symmetry, and then remove 3 decouplers and srms from symmetry. Works well, quickly and guranteed to be even in height and spacing.

The new early game rockets and SAF fairings are AMAZING! :D

A kitbashed Mun orbiter probe and rocket:

Spoiler

raw

Uh...

raw

Let's try that again...

raw

Second stage lighting nominal.

raw

Time to burn for the Mun.

raw

On our way!

raw

Hello Mun

raw

Time to get some sweet photos.

raw

I'm in KSRSS, and I really want to go to Venus next. I've only gone to the moon so far. Soooo ... thought I'd build something to offend everyone!

As far as I can tell using the transfer window planner, this vehicle will do the trick! The images below are from the first test flight to LKO LEO just to check that the transfer stage gets to orbit correctly. 

Spoiler

KWp0Yne.jpg

cmy5hW9.jpg

TPYynHn.jpg

DRcj2O0.jpg

zrLrJ9M.png

H4c8t8U.png

(The little black dot is the 2nd stage before its de-orbit burn ... I fast forwarded to get into the sunlight)

At this point the Centaur engines get started, and it has enough gas for the ejection burn. Then the Venera probe has enough to capture at Venus, drop off the probe, and regain orbit to act as a relay for the science on the lander.

And for anyone like me who actually wishes people would mansplain their images, here ya go:

Spoiler

The probe is the Venera probe (from Probes Plus), which is a Russian spacecraft, being launched on a Titan 3E/Centaur with a decidedly non-US paint scheme. See, you already knew all this.

A bunch of you that frequent this thread contributed hours of your creative time to make fun stuff like this possible. Old people like me need this kind of mental stimulation :D  so thank you!

14 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Question about the new Gemini: retro motors and OMS thrusters - will they get attachment nodes? Currently it's kinda painful to place them correctly, especially the latter.

Cobalt will have to chime in on this at some point but yes the issue with placement has been raised and is being looked at.

The Delta Green has been updated from the Redstone derived colour to be more similar to a Delta K primer.

screen_5120x3840_2020-04-22_19-16-20.png

screenshot364_-_Copy.png?width=497&height=832

Every image of this seems wildly different in colour balance but the more neutral looking versions suggest this is in the right area

117.jpg

screenshot365_-_Copy.png?width=541&height=832

screenshot366.png?width=1480&height=833

Also the CT3 fairing is now available on the DeltaIII/ 2.5m standard base. Will also add the Atlas 400 to that one soon.

Edited by Zorg

On 4/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, Dragon01 said:

The thing is, boosters on the real thing are not even. This is how the attachments should be arranged:

They were in Which is why I do the 3x 3x 3x arrangement.   Because while holding the SHIFT key, you can properly arrange them.  

The only problem in that is the 4x and 7x booster arrangements (but as I said previously, I don't know if it was ever flown)   And incidentally Editor Extensions does not play any nicer than Stock with any of these three configs.

PS the 43degree offset is for the TVC Air lit motors (at 34 degrees the bells would collide.)   I am uncertain, if the original config had this space (for the Inital Castor IV launces with 9 SRMs did not have the Thrust Vectoring Air lit version...)   I know all previous (N-6, M-6) launches had 2 groups of three with no separation between the groups (the 34degree offsets in your pictures Dragon01)

PPS:  This arrangement DOES NOT work for larger SRMs, just the GEM40 and Castor II/IV in a 6x,  6+3 or 9x Arrangement.  

Here is a picture of a 6 SRM stage so you can see visually what Dragon01 is talking about:

delta83.jpg

And here is a picture of the (it actually FLEW!) 4x Arrangement:

delta109.jpg

This one has 2 SRMs 34 Degrees apart and the other two are 86degrees from the same side paired.   You can see the 43degree mounting point clearly (the two black dots with the vertical lines below them)  Notice the SRM attachments line up perfectly.

18 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

A bunch of you that frequent this thread contributed hours of your creative time to make fun stuff like this possible. Old people like me need this kind of mental stimulation :D  so thank you!

Nice Build and critique!   Love the use of the Crayola colors (look it up if you don't believe that is their name)

But a key thing.....   Age is a state of mind!   your body just tells you otherwise every day :)   And the older your body thinks it is, the louder IT gets :D