[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

34 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

I'm not sure whether this is a Bluedog problem or a Modular Launch Pads problem, so I'm reporting it in both threads.

Take a Sarnus BR-375-XI SRB and attach a Modular Launch Pads launch base to its bottom node. (Here I've used General Launch Base 3 - Large but it happens with all the launch bases, I think.)

eSyna8o.png

At first everything is fine, but in short order the BR-375-XI starts to oscillate. The oscillations increase until it's spinning wildly around the pad.

IQN7hHh.png

iP6sZcf.png

2kJIGzF.png

Weird, huh?

Same energy:

hxpOpgH.jpg

Welcome to page 874!

Edited by MashAndBangers

20 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to launch directly to intercept but I have no idea how to do that.

Earth orbit first. There's a flight plan here: https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/clementine.html

"Clementine launched on a Titan-2(23)G [Star-37FM] expendable launch vehicle from Vandenberg Air Force Base into Low Earth Orbit (LEO) in January 1994 togethe with the instrumented Interstage adaptor (ISA)."  from https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/clementine-1.htm

If you do want to do direct ascent (like Surveyor) it's quite doable, especially in JNSQ where there's no inclination issues. You might just need a couple hints since there's a little timing involved. Happy to help if you want to message me outside the thread.

14 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Earth orbit first. There's a flight plan here: https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/clementine.html

"Clementine launched on a Titan-2(23)G [Star-37FM] expendable launch vehicle from Vandenberg Air Force Base into Low Earth Orbit (LEO) in January 1994 togethe with the instrumented Interstage adaptor (ISA)."  from https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/clementine-1.htm

If you do want to do direct ascent (like Surveyor) it's quite doable, especially in JNSQ where there's no inclination issues. You might just need a couple hints since there's a little timing involved. Happy to help if you want to message me outside the thread.

was the LR91 restarted or am i just supposed to use the kick stage?

12 minutes ago, zakkpaz said:

IRL the LR-91 can't be started more than once so you have to make use of the kickstage and maybe a bit of Clementine's engine to get you to the mun/moon.

34 minutes ago, zakkpaz said:

Single ignition on the LR91, but in KSP the SRM has 590m/s. The docs say that after the SRM fired there were two Earth flybys. 

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/missions/clementine/in-depth/   

edit:

more mission and orbit details here:

https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/c-missions/clementine

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

On 10/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, CobaltWolf said:

can

0CWTa9z.png

Haven't seen this puppy in a while. Really can't wait to see the AARDV ingame. 

Anyways, here's my screenshot tax per the new fairing. 

Sarnus IB-Inon D

6fmgWcH.png

What could have been NASA's Workhorse Launcher...

PS: May I ask, the docking target, can we get a variant without the struts?

On 10/2/2021 at 11:52 PM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

HG3 was J-2 derived- generally comparable with the J-2S, although there’s really no technical information on it and it’s believed to be little more than an Rocketdyne projection or baseline for future J-2 upgrades.

@Pappystein can tell you in more detail.

On 10/3/2021 at 2:58 AM, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

I mean, Pappystein just knows everything doesn’t he :D

First, thanks for the compliments????   :D  

Please realize,  I am a RECOVERING Know it all...

There is something... some where I don't know.        I just don't know what it is :D  But I do learn at-least one thing an hour it seems... sometimes MORE.

And if you didn't know before... you call a recovering know it all.... a know it most...

ish :D

Ok Joking aside...

Yes I have a pretty nice memory, it allows me to crank out articles like the one I did on Solid Rocket motors that were developed for the Saturn program I posted Sunday.   I don't say this to brag because...  Well I have a pretty nice memory, every pain I have lived through is in full color 3D all the time.   I don't say this to complain either... But hopefully bring some understanding.      Everyone has their strengths,   Everyone has their weakness, every strength IS a weakness and every weakness IS a strength.  It is all a matter of how you look at it and apply it.       Things to understand before I get back onto HG-3....     I have been doing Aerospace research since... 1983ish.   Seriously starting in 1988.     My personal Aerospace (heavy on the Aero side) library rivals my entire county's Library system, and it (the county Library system is touted as one of the best public systems in the country per capita.)    Of course my personal Library is pretty focused, and the County's is not, so you could say I have an unfair advantage.    If Wikis were accurate AND precise in their data and data handling, my Library would be pointless.    That being said, I am only Hunam... I still make mistakes as well.

Now on to the subject of the HG-3...

I am not afraid or embarrassed (well actually I am embarrassed) that I was DEAD WRONG when it came to HG-3.

Zorg is the one who brought the correct information to my/our attention.   And had actual documents to back his statements!    And Like a fool that I can be, I tried to disprove it.    Nope, 100% believer now that I have found other documents mentioning the HG-3 as a Notional design. 

*PS anyone get the Video game Hunam joke?*

Edited by Pappystein

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

First, thanks for the compliments????   :D  

Please realize,  I am a RECOVERING Know it all...

There is something... some where I don't know.        I just don't know what it is :D  But I do learn at-least one thing an hour it seems... sometimes MORE.

And if you didn't know before... you call a recovering know it all.... a know it most...

ish :D

Ok Joking aside...

Yes I have a pretty nice memory, it allows me to crank out articles like the one I did on Solid Rocket motors that were developed for the Saturn program I posted Sunday.   I don't say this to brag because...  Well I have a pretty nice memory, every pain I have lived through is in full color 3D all the time.   I don't say this to complain either... But hopefully bring some understanding.      Everyone has their strengths,   Everyone has their weakness, every strength IS a weakness and every weakness IS a strength.  It is all a matter of how you look at it and apply it.       Things to understand before I get back onto HG-3....     I have been doing Aerospace research since... 1983ish.   Seriously starting in 1988.     My personal Aerospace (heavy on the Aero side) library rivals my entire county's Library system, and it (the county Library system is touted as one of the best public systems in the country per capita.)    Of course my personal Library is pretty focused, and the County's is not, so you could say I have an unfair advantage.    If Wikis were accurate AND precise in their data and data handling, my Library would be pointless.    That being said, I am only Hunam... I still make mistakes as well.

Now on to the subject of the HG-3...

I am not afraid or embarrassed (well actually I am embarrassed) that I was DEAD WRONG when it came to HG-3.

Zorg is the one who brought the correct information to my/our attention.   And had actual documents to back his statements!    And Like a fool that I can be, I tried to disprove it.    Nope, 100% believer now that I have found other documents mentioning the HG-3 as a Notional design. 

*PS anyone get the Video game Hunam joke?*

Just to add to what i said earlier, I think the more persistent myth I'm trying to dispel here is that Rocketdyne had anything to do with  the HG-3 study when the contractor was Pratt and Whitney. But this Rocketdyne association seems pervasive throughout the internet. Even people who acknowledge it as the thinnest of paper designs (which is still being generous) still speculate it being J2-esque. I doubt P&W were dreaming of Rocketdyne engines while writing those reports up (especially when P&W had been working on staged combustion for years) :P

Edited by Zorg

23 hours ago, Zorg said:

SIV-B should be a lot more versatile now :)

Are there any plans for different S-IC engine mount variants? For example: a 2x/3x engine mount with only 2 shoulder mounts (somewhat like the twin F-1B SLS booster/the Twin-Boar in KSP)

9 minutes ago, Hay said:

Are there any plans for different S-IC engine mount variants? For example: a 2x/3x engine mount with only 2 shoulder mounts (somewhat like the twin F-1B SLS booster/the Twin-Boar in KSP)

Yes, I was actually thinking about that after Zorg's image. I'm fairly sure I have the texture space to do 5x, 4x, 3x, and 2x. There will also be a proper LRB mount that I suppose would be useful for Saturn C-3, though the diameter would be much too small. And I'm sure the S-1C will have some other engine mounting options as well..

3 hours ago, Hay said:

It still is worth noting that INT-20 would have kept the exact same thrust structure with all the engine shoulder mounts for two, three, four, and five engine configurations.

11 minutes ago, Jcking said:

It still is worth noting that INT-20 would have kept the exact same thrust structure with all the engine shoulder mounts for two, three, four, and five engine configurations.

I know, but it looks ugly when you're using 2/3 engines in my opinion.

Oh great ones!

I have a question, since @Beale and @Nertea have retired from making ksp 1 mods, what are you gonna do?

Will you finish the Saturn parts, and Skylab and that's it? or are you gonna make more content until you make Ingenuity?

On 9/30/2015 at 3:21 AM, CobaltWolf said:

What is this mod?

BDB adds parts. Lots of parts. Nearly 1000 parts, including launchers, spacecraft, and probes, all in a stockalike style. The focus lies primarily on the US space program up through the Apollo program, though some modern parts exist. They are not perfect replicas, but rather take inspiration directly from existing designs. Care has been taken to research and include pieces for projects that were proposed but never happened, to increase the possibilities available to the player. Parts are made in a lego frame of mind, and screenshots of your unique franken creations are always appreciated! The mod is not recommended for new players, as the mod adds a good deal of clutter to the VAB lists. The mod also adds new standard sizes (such a 0.9375m, 1.5m and 1.875m diameter) of parts in order to more accurately scale to KSP.

I just realized. :(

Edited by funnelton
I thought I made 2 posts

2 hours ago, funnelton said:

Oh great ones!

I have a question, since @Beale and @Nertea have retired from making ksp 1 mods, what are you gonna do?

Will you finish the Saturn parts, and Skylab and that's it? or are you gonna make more content until you make Ingenuity?

Yeah, we're more going to focus on Apollo/Saturn "what-ifs" moving forward. But no plans to stop. We'll probably port everything to KSP2 at some point and keep working there.