[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Is there any chance of adding more wetlabs to BDB in the future? I love the concept but there are literally no other mods that add anything like it, and there are only two wetlabs in BDB and they're both derived from the S-IVB. I remember seeing something about a Centaurlab launched on an Atlas V (I think?), just slap some extra greebles and a porthole onto the Centaur model and a dedicated docking adapter, some config stuff, and it's done.

Edited by Entr8899

@CobaltWolfand @Zorg,

Thanks for the reply on the Tweakscale configs. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t an installation issue. It was kind of fun playing around with the C-series Saturns, but I found out that the C-2 was a dog going uphill and C-3 was redundant. I am having much more fun with the INT-20 and the MS series. Don’t spend any time putting the Tweakscale configs back in. Thanks for all you guys do.

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

2gL3tMS.png

What's the point of config 2 and 4 ? It doesn't look like it can carry any meaningful payload

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

2gL3tMS.png

What's the point of config 2 and 4 ? It doesn't look like it can carry any meaningful payload

25 minutes ago, derega16 said:

Wetlab Lunar base.

2 minutes ago, derega16 said:

But that's means all equipment and experiment have to be cyro-proof it don't have a separate area to store them to install later like Skylab wetlab

1. The equipment would probably be installed by crews sent on dedicated landers and 2. Skylab wasn’t really a wet worship, Skylab was 95% assembled on the ground. 

The OG Saturn V

SA-500F was a test article Saturn V used for fit checks and procedures rehearsals at Kennedy Space Center during the summer of 1966. The S-IVB was originally developed as a 200-series test article and was used to check out LC-34 and LC-37 before being adapted for SA-500F, hence the out of place markings on the aft skirt. The iconic markings on the S-IC were originally intended to be the standard for all flightworthy Saturn Vs, but during testing at LC-39, technicians realized that the black roll stripes on the intertank structure caused excessive heat in the oppressive Florida weather, threatening to damage or warp interior components. Because of this, all flightworthy S-ICs only featured black roll stripes on the O2 tank structure. By the time this issue was discovered the S-ICs for Apollo 4-10 had already been painted with the 500F pattern and had to be repainted to the new standard when they arrived at the Cape. As a matter of fact, if you look closely at photos of the earlier Saturn V launches you can still see where the roll stripes were painted over with a fresh coat of white. Starting with Apollo 11's Saturn V the new pattern was painted on at Michoud where the S-IC was produced.

HbY7XJn.png

After work concluded on SA-500F it was rolled back to the VAB and destacked. The S-IC is believed to have been scrapped shortly after, while the S-IVB was put into storage and later converted into an engineering mockup for Skylab, before it too was scrapped sometime after 1980. The S-II was sent to Huntsville, where it was reassigned to replace the original S-II on SA-500D, MSFC's dynamic test article, and today it survives along with the other two original 500D stages as the US Space and Rocket Center's restored Saturn V.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0uc6sE84OAXXrBcd_sCi

I was really hoping to recreate this image of the Gemini 11 launch with SA-500F in the distant background, but it looks like LC-39 and LC-19 are too far apart for the Saturn to load in. Oh well...

Edited by pTrevTrevs

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

1. The equipment would probably be installed by crews sent on dedicated landers and 2. Skylab wasn’t really a wet worship, Skylab was 95% assembled on the ground. 

I means one that planned to launch on Saturn 1b also if land of dedicated lander it will defeat the purpose of landing the entire S-IVB as LM-truck have far less capability to fit the equipment need for S-IVB LH2 tank space

UoXqqGb.jpeg76oo5Or.jpeg

I know this looks cursed but hear me out, the reusable MLLM (Multi-Level Lunar Module). Equipped with a double descent stage and a Titan LR91 Upper Stage Engine. It's also reusable since the ascent stage just becomes another fuel tank , and it has space for external seats. :cool:

21 hours ago, derega16 said:

OPINON:  The payload is ON THE GROUND in those angles....  

But also realize, these were more for "hey we can land here how do we get rid of it" test flights....

Edited by Pappystein

Is it possible write a config to add a third kerbalnaut position to the LM, possibly via a B9 part switch? If you used an ETS CM to fly to the moon you could have extra kerbals to send to the surface. You could maximize the surface engineering tasks and the science return while still having a pilot to fly it downhill. Some advanced LM versions should be able to support three ‘nauts. 

Just a thought. 

On 10/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, Beccab said:

I know that the list of parts you guys have is already way too long, but is there a small chance there will be a SIVB-sized leg in BDB? There's a few proposals that need that (the ones Cobalt posted in particular) and the legs of that size out there are very very few. The ones I'm using here in particular fit good with the style of the parts, but are probably from before a particular KSP update and so the legs detach from the body extremely easily and partly clip in the terrain

Definitely worth looking into at some point, probably not for this update.

On 10/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, zakkpaz said:

What's with the round thing on the front of the LM ascent stage between the position lights? I'm pretty sure it's also a light of some kind but i have no idea what it's for.

A strobe, I believe? I didn't put any functionality in for it.

On 10/10/2021 at 6:40 PM, Entr8899 said:

Is there any chance of adding more wetlabs to BDB in the future? I love the concept but there are literally no other mods that add anything like it, and there are only two wetlabs in BDB and they're both derived from the S-IVB. I remember seeing something about a Centaurlab launched on an Atlas V (I think?), just slap some extra greebles and a porthole onto the Centaur model and a dedicated docking adapter, some config stuff, and it's done.

Definitely possible, I don't know about Centaur. I could see a proper S-II wetlab being added at some point.

On 10/10/2021 at 7:15 PM, DaveyJ576 said:

@CobaltWolfand @Zorg,

Thanks for the reply on the Tweakscale configs. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t an installation issue. It was kind of fun playing around with the C-series Saturns, but I found out that the C-2 was a dog going uphill and C-3 was redundant. I am having much more fun with the INT-20 and the MS series. Don’t spend any time putting the Tweakscale configs back in. Thanks for all you guys do.

I think enough people use them that they'd be worth updating. I just don't want to have to do it myself :P

On 10/10/2021 at 9:59 PM, derega16 said:

On 10/10/2021 at 10:24 PM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Wetlab Lunar base.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:28 PM, derega16 said:

But that's means all equipment and experiment have to be cyro-proof it don't have a separate area to store them to install later like Skylab wetlab

On 10/11/2021 at 12:19 AM, derega16 said:

I means one that planned to launch on Saturn 1b also if land of dedicated lander it will defeat the purpose of landing the entire S-IVB as LM-truck have far less capability to fit the equipment need for S-IVB LH2 tank space

15 hours ago, Pappystein said:

OPINON:  The payload is ON THE GROUND in those angles.... 

But also realize, these were more for "hey we can land here how do we get rid of it" test flights....

Yeah, my understanding for these is the end goal is to lay the S-IVB down and semi-bury it in order to get some long term habitable space. In that situation, I think the volume is important and not bringing stuff to fill it out with.

re: LM-Truck, I think the down mass is probably sufficient to fit out an S-IVB's internals. it's basically just a descent stage with an ascent stage's worth of cargo mass on top.

14 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Is it possible write a config to add a third kerbalnaut position to the LM, possibly via a B9 part switch? If you used an ETS CM to fly to the moon you could have extra kerbals to send to the surface. You could maximize the surface engineering tasks and the science return while still having a pilot to fly it downhill. Some advanced LM versions should be able to support three ‘nauts.

Definitely doable, might not be doable as a B9 switch. I'll look into it once we start adding more LM stuff. Were there any real proposals for fitting 3 people in an LM? I'd like to know what other modifications they thought it'd need.

EDIT: That's just the LM-Taxi, which I was planning on doing some variants of the Ascent/Descent stage for. Sounds good.

Edited by CobaltWolf

4 minutes ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

I ask for the thread to please consider the following...

screenshot800.png?width=1124&height=702
screenshot830.png?width=1124&height=702
screenshot823.png?width=1124&height=702
screenshot831.png?width=1124&height=702

Extend!
screenshot832.png?width=1124&height=702

Capable of 33tons of hydrolox to LEO in KSRSS.
screenshot826.png?width=1124&height=702

I wonder if we could use the indev Minuteman/Minotaur booster from photon corp for Saturn INT-19 when/if they come out, previously I used (oversized for that job) peacekeeper boosters)