[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

14 hours ago, guest10985 said:

MM is saying, "1 error related to GameData/Bluedog_DB/Parts/Apollo/Paint/BP/paint.cfg,  1 error related to GameData/Bluedog_DB/Parts/Apollo/Paint/Skylab/paint.cfg, 1 error related to GameData/Bluedog_DB/Parts/Apollo/Paint/White/paint/cfg"

If you look at the dev branch, these errors have now been fixed.

Edited by KeaKaka
oh llok nwe page

15 hours ago, Yuriy Istochnikov said:

As LATAMer, i'd take that announce like it was... BUT, when can we have Pioneer Venus on our installs?! :P

Unfortunately, this was just an April fools joke :sob:Pioneer Venus was put on hiatus a long time ago. Not sure if anyone has the energy to finish it for now

Edited by Invaderchaos

There seems to be a typo in regard to the 4.25 Saturn fairings.

The base 4.25m fairing, at 4.396 tons, is much heavier than the 1.693 tons of the 6.25m SAF fairing.

Looking into the 4.25m .cfg file in 'Bluedog_DB\Parts\SAF_Fairings' the CONE module of the 4.25m fairing has a mass = 0.940, as opposed to the 'wall base' mass of 0.062t, or the 'wall height' mass of 0.063t. 15 times the weight for something not that much larger. I assume the value of the cone should be 0.094, and the zero was misplaced.

This issue also affects the 3.75m SAF fairing, as it has a weight just a smidge lower than the 4.25m. Compared to the mass other fairings in their size class, these two are large outliers in terms of weight.

4 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

Not saturn-related:

the IUS 2nd stage doesn't fit the titan 34Ds fairing

unknown.png

Huh, never noitced that. Though, to be fair I've only ever used it once or twice and it was just on titan IV iirc

Edited by GoldForest

5 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

Not saturn-related:

the IUS 2nd stage doesn't fit the titan 34Ds fairing.

I’ve noticed that, seems to be an issue with rounding diameters to the nearest KSP part diameter.  I found that using the stockalike 1.875m fairing under the IUS (set to 1.5m bottom and with a 1.5m decoupler) and the SAF 1.875m fairing on top of the IUS hides the stage well and keeps the look of the 34D. The RCS is still too big on the IUS, but the z fighting isn’t there.

Edited by Jcking

17 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

Not saturn-related:

the IUS 2nd stage doesn't fit the titan 34Ds fairing

13 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Huh, never noitced that. Though, to be fair I've only ever used it once or twice and it was just on titan IV iirc

12 hours ago, Jcking said:

I’ve noticed that, seems to be an issue with rounding diameters to the nearest KSP part diameter.  I found that using the stockalike 1.875m fairing under the IUS (set to 1.5m bottom and with a 1.5m decoupler) and the SAF 1.875m fairing on top of the IUS hides the stage well and keeps the look of the 34D. The RCS is still too big on the IUS, but the z fighting isn’t there.

Ah, yes. That happens when the person making it is dumb and doesn't think ahead at all

12 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@OrbitalManeuvers Just had a thought. Are you overriding the BDB files or are you deleting the entire BDB folder and putting the new folder in?

Neither. One is dangerous and the other is a waste of time/bandwidth.  I use Github Desktop to fetch deltas to my repo clone on a staging machine. Then I use Beyond Compare to do directory sync between my gaming machine and the staging machine. Importantly, Sync deals with orphans, which file copy does not. Doing a full delete is the only other safe approach, but then you're downloading the entire repository every time for just a few changed files.

3 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Neither. One is dangerous and the other is a waste of time/bandwidth.  I use Github Desktop to fetch deltas to my repo clone on a staging machine. Then I use Beyond Compare to do directory sync between my gaming machine and the staging machine. Importantly, Sync deals with orphans, which file copy does not. Doing a full delete is the only other safe approach, but then you're downloading the entire repository every time for just a few changed files.

Well, I'm out ideas. I have a fully updated install with tons of mods and don't have the gray ring problem. Sorry.

Now that the Atlas booster skirt has a module to decouple it at a specified TWR, I updated the Δv maps on the wiki.  Now the Δv is shown as a function of payload mass (including upper stage) and TWR at booster skirt jettison instead of payload mass and propellant burned by sustainer phase.

The new maps are more straightforward to use. (well, at least they are intended to be)
Just take your payload mass and desired Δv and find "at what G should I jettison the skirt"

ZMPn9eG.png

But they might be a bit more complicated to understand though (see spoiler for why). Some feedback would be nice

Spoiler

The new maps have a clearly defined flight envelope bounded at the top with the full booster scenario with no sustainer phase (skirt stays on until payload separation) and at the bottom with the full sustainer scenario (skirt jettisoned at launch - good luck with that). Booster engines have high thrust and low Isp while sustainer engine has low ~ish~ thrust and high Isp so it is important to know when to jettison the skirt to get the most out of your Atlas rocket.

This also implies in different regions based on TWR after booster skirt separation, specifically:

• below 0.5 Gs the rocket might not reach orbit nor be stable in atmospheric flight :0.0:
  • between 0.5 and 0.8 Gs, the rocket is flyable but gravity losses increase quite a bit.
  • between 0.8 and 1G, long sustainer burn but maximum Δv. Great for heavy payloads or high energy launches
  • between 1 and 2Gs you are good to go, you won't loose too much Δv due to the Isp difference
  • above 2Gs you loose quite a bit of Δv because the booster phase is not as efficient as the sustainer phase

16 hours ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

Now that the Atlas booster skirt has a module to decouple it at a specified TWR, I updated the Δv maps on the wiki.  Now the Δv is shown as a function of payload mass (including upper stage) and TWR at booster skirt jettison instead of payload mass and propellant burned by sustainer phase.

The new maps are more straightforward to use. (well, at least they are intended to be)
Just take your payload mass and desired Δv and find "at what G should I jettison the skirt"

ZMPn9eG.png

But they might be a bit more complicated to understand though (see spoiler for why). Some feedback would be nice

Reveal hidden contents

The new maps have a clearly defined flight envelope bounded at the top with the full booster scenario with no sustainer phase (skirt stays on until payload separation) and at the bottom with the full sustainer scenario (skirt jettisoned at launch - good luck with that). Booster engines have high thrust and low Isp while sustainer engine has low ~ish~ thrust and high Isp so it is important to know when to jettison the skirt to get the most out of your Atlas rocket.

This also implies in different regions based on TWR after booster skirt separation, specifically:

• below 0.5 Gs the rocket might not reach orbit nor be stable in atmospheric flight :0.0:
  • between 0.5 and 0.8 Gs, the rocket is flyable but gravity losses increase quite a bit.
  • between 0.8 and 1G, long sustainer burn but maximum Δv. Great for heavy payloads or high energy launches
  • between 1 and 2Gs you are good to go, you won't loose too much Δv due to the Isp difference
  • above 2Gs you loose quite a bit of Δv because the booster phase is not as efficient as the sustainer phase

Awesome.  Fancy doing one for Saturn S-ID as well? 

Incidentally, do you want to migrate the page to the Unofficial Wiki?  It's kinda unofficially the official wiki now.