[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I got no idea if this has been proposed already or planned to be added at some future time, but I've got an idea for a simple addition to the Skylab wetlab, based on some concept art and diagrams (see spoilers for reference) I've seen online.

I tried to replicate the design in-game with the latest dev version, but was surprised to learn that I couldn't pull it off without the LAM adaptor doors blocking all the docking ports.

How hard would it be to add a variant of the Lunar Module adaptor doors that makes them swing back entirely, meeting the upper half of the S-IVB stage and giving enough room for spacecraft and additional modules to dock? Has this already been considered or am I the first to throw this idea out? I'm not all that willing to mess with the files myself, as I wouldn't know where to begin and don't want to risk breaking what's has become one of my favourite KSP mods.

Also, I've only just started messing around with the Apollo parts in my current campaign, so please forgive my ignorance of how they all work. :P

Spoiler

unknown-37.png

unknown-49.png

50 minutes ago, DeviouslyDeviant said:

I got no idea if this has been proposed already or planned to be added at some future time, but I've got an idea for a simple addition to the Skylab wetlab, based on some concept art and diagrams (see spoilers for reference) I've seen online.

I tried to replicate the design in-game with the latest dev version, but was surprised to learn that I couldn't pull it off without the LAM adaptor doors blocking all the docking ports.

How hard would it be to add a variant of the Lunar Module adaptor doors that makes them swing back entirely, meeting the upper half of the S-IVB stage and giving enough room for spacecraft and additional modules to dock? Has this already been considered or am I the first to throw this idea out? I'm not all that willing to mess with the files myself, as I wouldn't know where to begin and don't want to risk breaking what's has become one of my favourite KSP mods.

Also, I've only just started messing around with the Apollo parts in my current campaign, so please forgive my ignorance of how they all work. :P

Hide contents

No promises but something I've been meaning to look into.

38 minutes ago, shakuvendell said:

Question. How is one supposed to attach and decouple the Belle P-111 "Stowaway" Subsatellite?

I'm not sure if that is how it's "supposed" to be done, but you can attach it directly on the Belle-ERD Equipment Rack under the interstage. Select the Aft Rack Enabled option in the PAW to get a flat surface that's just the right size for the Stowaway.

14 hours ago, Forked Camphor said:

Do you use Mechjeb? If so, then try doing a test with the rover autopilot. Just set a heading and start  increasing speed from 1 m/s. If the rover behaves normally then the rover design/parts are not the problem, if it still flips then is a problem with the design/parts

EDIT: This is the easiest and simple solution, If you really want that specific design and don't want a redisignyou can edit the strength (x10-x30 the strength for example) of that capsule reaction wheels and use Mechjebs SASS to maintain stability

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them out. The Rover Autopilot at least kept it upright and moving forward with no wheelies. However, it seems as if the speed control doesn't work. Even at its lowest setting the vehicle still accelerates to its highest speed. I will have to look into editing down the power of the wheels. Heading control works, but I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

Weird thing... as soon as I clicked on Stability Control in the Rover Autopilot, the vehicle flipped upside down and started to do some wild gyrations. Puzzled, it suddenly dawned on me that the LM Ascent Stage model has a thrust/stability/movement vector built into it that goes vertical, i.e. through the overhead hatch. With a rocket engine normally mounted underneath the stage this would be the correct way to model this vector. However, I am asking my vehicle to accelerate 90 deg off of this axis (through the front hatch), thus it wants to flip when I tap the WASD controls. Enabling any sort of stability controls will cause it to do the same thing. 

I might be wrong here, but unfortunately, the only way I can see to correct this is for @CobaltWolfto create a variant of the LM Shelter ascent stage that has the thrust vector rotated 90 degrees to face forward. This part would become specialized only for the MOLEM. I am not sure if he would want to do that. 

By the way, for those of you who may not know, MOLEM was an actual NASA concept. It looks weird, but it was a pretty good compromise that would have gotten a pressurized rover with a minimum of new R&D and money.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it! Thanks.

27 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it! Thanks.

The control point isn't really the issue. I put together a test craft like yours and didn't have any problems driving it, however you need to make sure that you open up the PAW for the shelter and set the reaction wheels to "SAS Only". By default they are in "Normal" mode and that of course means that they try to flip the craft over when you use WASD. 

Just now, Grimmas said:

The control point isn't really the issue. I put together a test craft like yours and didn't have any problems driving it, however you need to make sure that you open up the PAW for the shelter and set the reaction wheels to "SAS Only". By default they are in "Normal" mode and that of course means that they try to flip the craft over when you use WASD. 

Excellent! I didn’t think of that. 

3 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Was gonna post a screenshot of the craft so here you go lol. 

n14T4n9.png

Hey, thanks for the tip. I honestly didn't know that despite running KSP for over two years. Once I changed it to SAS only it drives like a dream. You still have to be careful in the turns, but that is true with any rover.

Last question... the last problem I am having is that I can not get an astro to make an EVA. It says all exits are blocked. It must be because it is too close to the ground because it works when the Shelter is used with the descent stage. The obvious solution is to raise it by using a thicker base and I have tried that but it is raising the center of gravity and throwing the aesthetics off. Is there any other way to correct this?

@Forked Camphor, @CobaltWolf

6 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Hey, thanks for the tip. I honestly didn't know that despite running KSP for over two years. Once I changed it to SAS only it drives like a dream. You still have to be careful in the turns, but that is true with any rover.

Last question... the last problem I am having is that I can not get an astro to make an EVA. It says all exits are blocked. It must be because it is too close to the ground because it works when the Shelter is used with the descent stage. The obvious solution is to raise it by using a thicker base and I have tried that but it is raising the center of gravity and throwing the aesthetics off. Is there any other way to correct this?

@Forked Camphor, @CobaltWolf

Weights to lower center of gravity, HADD mod to add a hatch for EVA, or what I said before about editing reaction wheels to make them stronger.

4 minutes ago, G'th said:

Query: Theres a J2 variant called the A2 which has an extendble nozzle. Was this a real thing? I can't seem to find any info on it.

Concept/Development only, no production model was ever made. 

8 minutes ago, G'th said:

Query: Theres a J2 variant called the A2 which has an extendble nozzle. Was this a real thing? I can't seem to find any info on it.

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Concept/Development only, no production model was ever made. 

The J-2A2 is a fictional engine from Eyes Turned Skyward, with the extendible nozzle added over what is depicted in the artwork for it to justify it’s ISP increase over the J-2S. Not something part of any study.

Edited by Jcking

Just now, Jcking said:

The J-2A2 is a fictional engine from Eyes Turned Skyward, with the extendible nozzle added over what is depicted in the artwork for it to justify it’s ISP increase over the J-2S. Not something part of any study.

Ah, my bad. I thought it was an actual concept.