[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, MikoYurei said:

Also, when we can get system heat patch for NERVA II, like the Timberwind engines? And i wonder, would there be a patch for making BDB nuclear engines compatible with Kerbal Atomics, especially the radiation emmit thing that KA has?

System Heat is likely going to become a dependency for BDB, replacing the current boiloff functionality. More info TBA when I get further along with those parts.

21 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

System Heat is likely going to become a dependency for BDB, replacing the current boiloff functionality. More info TBA when I get further along with those parts.

Interesting. What about compability with KA? And if System Heat would be a dependency, would there be some kind of BDB-provided radiators or other cooling parts then?

Sorry for lack of updates on my end, I’m out of the state this summer for work (which means I don’t have access to my desktop) and as a result I can’t work on any of my current projects till I return in August. However, I can start new stuff (albeit at a much slower pace). I have a pretty good idea of what I want to work on next…

A12-48-7133-36HR.jpg

On 6/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, Beccab said:

Reactor in flight test iirc, basically a NERVA third stage on an INT-21

Originally RIFT was supposed to be on the Saturn D-2 Rocket.     Since the Saturn C-2 rocket was never Built, the D-2 was likewise never Built since they are the same basic stages up to the S-IV stage.   There WAS a D-1 (which as you can guess was based off of the Saturn I rocket,) but there were multiple directives from both NASA and the Office of POTUS ***NOT TO FLY IT*** and that was in 1961-62.

POTUS = President of the United States of America (sorry for those not in the know!)

Edited by Pappystein

8 hours ago, MikoYurei said:

Interesting. What about compability with KA? And if System Heat would be a dependency, would there be some kind of BDB-provided radiators or other cooling parts then?

Yes, we're going to provide radiators for interplanetary chemical rockets.

In other news, a quick extra LM part: The J-series Q3 cargo module. I figured you'd all need more cargo room at some point. For what? We'll see...

HyuSwQR.png

N3aTBnI.png

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

2 hours ago, Judicator81 said:

Wow, that's really interesting! How would it work?

@Judicator81I assumed this was a question about what “System Heat” is. If you were asking for more specific information, that’ll come later.

Edited by Teslamax
Elaboration

17 minutes ago, Teslamax said:

@Judicator81I assumed this was a question about what “System Heat” is. If you were asking for more specific information, that’ll come later.

No, I'am aware what SystemHeat is, and actually have been asking about that specific information. )
Anyway, will be waiting for more details.

9 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

A12-48-7133-36HR.jpg

Isn’t this a photo from Ryan Nagata, the spacesuit replica builder? It sure as heck isn’t an in-flight photograph.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

In other news, a quick extra LM part: The J-series Q3 cargo module. I figured you'd all need more cargo room at some point. For what? We'll see...

This is where we’re supposed to keep the spare tire and the jack, yes?

15 hours ago, MikoYurei said:

compatible with Kerbal Atomics, especially the radiation emmit thing that KA has?

What radiation emit thing? Are you sure this is something from Kerbal atomics and not a life support mod like Kerbalism?

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Isn’t this a photo from Ryan Nagata, the spacesuit replica builder? It sure as heck isn’t an in-flight photograph.

Seems to be a composite of two real images

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Seems to be a composite of two real images

The composite lists the two image numbers in the caption at the bottom.

For reference: 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AS12-48-7133_(21470506269).jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AS12-48-7136_(21657315235).jpg

Almost all Apollo images show only one of the astronauts at a time because the other would be holding the camera.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

What radiation emit thing? Are you sure this is something from Kerbal atomics and not a life support mod like Kerbalism?

Ah yes, my bad, this is kerbalism stuff, not KA

5 hours ago, Beccab said:

Screenshot_12562.png

Shuttle!

Wow, this reminds me of some early shuttle concepts, especially the Saturn-Shuttle. Btw, where from those parts?

1 hour ago, MikoYurei said:

Ah yes, my bad, this is kerbalism stuff, not KA

Wow, this reminds me of some early shuttle concepts, especially the Saturn-Shuttle. Btw, where from those parts?

From what I can see: widespread use of tweakscale all around with Benjee Stowaway, Habtech2, BDB, Restock, NFLV, B9 aerospace, conformal decals.

8 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I do recall a photo was made by Ryan Nagata with Surveyor but I’m pretty sure it was a different photo. I’m pretty sure Apollo 12 took pictures of Surveyor. The Apollo 12 crew landed near Surveyor III and visited it. They retrieved a few parts from it for study  (the soil scoop experiment and the TV camera, they might’ve retrieved more but I don’t recall what). I assume the camera on the LRV took this photo, assuming it’s real. EDIT: just saw some people say it’s a composite, that’s probably true but still a cool photo.

Also just to clarify, when I sent that picture to tease what I’m working on next I am referring specifically to Surveyor, and not anything else Apollo related in that picture.

Alongside Surveyor, I also plan on doing unflown Surveyor proposals, like the Surveyor B Lunar Orbiter and some other experiments and other parts for additional engineering/scientific mission proposals.

I do have something else in store for Surveyor, but don’t get your hopes up, as it’s rather unlikely (but still possible) that I’ll do it. A Surveyor proposal called for a small robotic rover that could be deployed from Surveyor. As wheels are the bane of modders and the fact this would require a new dependency (as the stock wheel system doesn’t support tread type wheels) I am unsure if I will end up doing it.

Here is the planned part list: https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/1232

jiZZqE5.jpg

9ucQDXk.jpg

eIeGFIO.jpg

goqiXqS.jpg

Edited by Invaderchaos

Does anyone know what the inspiration is for SRB part bluedog_Scout_Algol_Short.cfg? There's no problem and it works well, I'm just curious about the history and couldn't find it on my own.

The part title is Dioscuri-OPT71 "Subila" Solid Rocket Booster and the description says it's intended for use as a 2nd stage. The other taller Algol SRB in BDB is Scout's 1st stage, and real-life Scout tapers to a slightly narrower Castor 2nd stage.

I assumed the short Algol I'm asking about was some Scout variant, but I can't find any actual or planned rockets that match. Nothing says there was a modified Algol 2nd stage, and every image I find shows that slight Algol-to-Castor taper between stages, never a straight Algol-to-Algol staging.

4 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Does anyone know what the inspiration is for SRB part bluedog_Scout_Algol_Short.cfg? There's no problem and it works well, I'm just curious about the history and couldn't find it on my own.

The part title is Dioscuri-OPT71 "Subila" Solid Rocket Booster and the description says it's intended for use as a 2nd stage. The other taller Algol SRB in BDB is Scout's 1st stage, and real-life Scout tapers to a slightly narrower Castor 2nd stage.

I assumed the short Algol I'm asking about was some Scout variant, but I can't find any actual or planned rockets that match. Nothing says there was a modified Algol 2nd stage, and every image I find shows that slight Algol-to-Castor taper between stages, never a straight Algol-to-Algol staging.

I found it in NTRS Doc 19720017267, "Advanced small launch vehicle study"
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19720017267

2 hours ago, chaos113 said:

craft file pls?

You sure? The mods required are surely over 2-3 GB, possibly closer to 5 lol

3 hours ago, MikoYurei said:

Wow, this reminds me of some early shuttle concepts, especially the Saturn-Shuttle.

I made a long-ish post about what it is in the IPP mission report I made it for here

Long story short, it's the McDonnell Douglas+Martin Marietta Phase B fully reusable shuttle, only that instead of the low crossrange orbiter that is usually depicted in the artwork it has the high crossrange orbiter that Martin had studied for their Spacemaster shuttle and which may have been studied to be added on top of MDAC's flyback. I said may because the evidence I put in the linked post isn't a lot, but it was more than enough for me to put in the mission report. If anyone has better info on that, please let me know.

In the mission report I linked there's also the missions depicted in the screenshots above at the bottom, but be warned, it's a very screenshot heavy thread

2 hours ago, MikoYurei said:

Btw, where from those parts?

57 minutes ago, Jcking said:

From what I can see: widespread use of tweakscale all around with Benjee Stowaway, Habtech2, BDB, Restock, NFLV, B9 aerospace, conformal decals.

All of that plus Planetside, the RS-25 variants mod, a bit of KNES and Restock/Restock+. The SIRTF also has parts from Kerbal Atomics and the MCA from Universal Storage, while the PEP-derived space platform is all BDB and KNES