[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

40 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Some quick testing of the 6.25m S-IVF upper stage. This is a widebody version of the S-IVB, for people that want a constant diameter rocket stack. Seen here as a sort of uprated INT-20 with an S-1D.

I noticed the bottom tank doesn't change in size when you elongate the upper tank. Shouldn't the bottom tank get longer or wider as well?

45 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

Don't use KJR with robotic parts.  We (the community) recommend using the default auto struts provided by stock.  Also don't leave robotic parts autostruted, I found that out the hard way.

Thank you, will try removing KJR.

3 hours ago, 1124max said:

Quick question regarding the LRV parts, is anyone else experiencing phantom forces while using them? I am using a more modded install with KJR and have all the joints locked with 200 dampening set. I have follow the build guide and am launching them with the lm shelter.

Don’t quote me but I believe this might be related to KJR. I experienced phantom forces while trying to reenact Apollo 17. However, I will still more than able to land the LRV on the moon. Luckily the phantom forces aren’t active while time warping.

I don’t think there’ll be a fix for this because it seems like it’s more of an issue with KJR and robotics (from what I can tell) rather than BDB. It’s a shame though because I like KJR a lot and I think the stock autostrut system is very annoying and bothersome.

Luckily it still seems like it’s more than possible to land the LRV on the moon even with the phantom forces. 

Edited by Invaderchaos

Just removed KJR and the phantom forces are down to a manageable level, though I will still need to test with the SLA. I assume that the remainder would be taken care of once with some adjustment of the rover on the deployment rack, as i currently have to manually adjust it's stowed position.

Skylab 6: Home Improvement:

mZyrGSs.png

June, 1977: Skylab 6 launches from LC-34 on the first operational mission of Saturn IC. In addition to reactivating the space station after nearly two years in hibernation, the mission will also deliver a new expansion to the station in an attempt to preserve its usefulness in an age of increasingly capable computers in spaceflight. Since the departure of the last Skylab crew, telemetry has recorded many systems failures aboard the station, and the equipment which has not outright broken is well past its expiration date. During their six weeks aboard, the crew of Skylab 6 will be primarily engaged in renovation and repair procedures both inside and outside the station, aided by the arrival of an AARDV loaded with replacement parts and repair tools halfway through the mission.

7pC7BBE.png

wXcrlSy.png

LyBJd4N.png

Early Saturn IBs were only able to barely lift the Apollo spacecraft into orbit, however the extra strength provided by Saturn IC and the much lighter Block III Apollo now provide enough payload margin for the mission to accommodate both an Apollo and a secondary payload. The delivery of the Docking and Guidance Module on Skylab 6 will serve as a demonstration of Block III's ability to transport external payloads, and studies are currently underway to assess the practicability of outfitting future Block IIIs with pressurized mission modules to enable longer free-flight time and greater crew capacity.

BvgIWBI.png

LEAq8yi.png

5CJ06N5.png

The DGM itself is equipped with upgraded radar and camera systems to assist in the docking of unmanned AARDV resupply freighters. Up to this point, AARDVs could be flown automatically up to 3000 feet from Skylab, at which point the crew aboard would take over control using a guidance system installed in their command module's lower equipment bay where the sextant was installed on lunar flights. The DGM featured a new system which would enable a fully autonomous docking procedure, guided by radar and optics aboard the station itself. For redundancy, another TV guidance console was also installed inside the module, should the automatic system fail, and the crew would monitor the spacecraft's approach using this system as well. Additionally, the DGM brought with it a small increase to the station's already-considerable pressurized volume, which would be used primarily for storage of nonperishable dry goods and miscellaneous equipment delivered by AARDV spacecraft. Finally, the extension addressed one of Skylab's longest-lasting problems; the inadequate water storage system. The failure of one of the station's drinking water tanks shortly after launch had placed an inconvenient limit on the maximum length of time that a crew could remain aboard, and despite being outfitted with a waste water processor to renew the supply of potable water the station had struggled to fulfill the water quota since 1974. The DGM contained a large water storage tank in one of the two blisters on its side (the other contained tankage for pressurizing the module), which would effectively double station's water capacity and provide an extra margin for long-duration crews.

fbMTVdZ.png

J1yyrGm.png

Upon arriving at the station, the spacecraft prepared to dock on the nadir port. This was done so the docking module could receive AARDV spacecraft at the normal location, while manned Apollos would continue using the forward port. Note the presence of a visual docking target, installed on the module in case of an emergency which would require berthing a manned spacecraft here in the future.

f56up41.png

9GS4C8Q.png

Once hard-docked, the crew would enter the docking module and ensure the connections between it and the station were sound, but would not enter the station itself just yet. Instead, they would return to their command module and rest for a few hours, after which they would relocate to the forward port to clear the way for the AARDV which would arrive later in the mission. This would mark the first instance of a port swap on a US space station, and would also be the only time a single Apollo spacecraft made use of both ports on the Skylab MDA.

vRMhJGT.png

Once the crew had entered the station proper and reactivated it for use, they pressurized the seal between the MDA and DGM and opened the hatches. Much of the first week aboard would be devoted to installing connections between the station and the new module, as well as inventorying the supplies already aboard and inspecting the systems which would need to be serviced or repaired. Unfortunately they were able to confirm one alarming issue: mere months before their arrival one of the four solar panels on the ATM had become disconnected from the electrical system and was no longer producing power. While this development placed additional strain on the station's already handicapped EPS, it was not enough to compromise activities onboard. It did, however, motivate the design of a new modern power module to supplement the existing solar panel's output, which would be planned for delivery by an early space shuttle mission.

96JL7wG.png

Meanwhile back at the Cape, AARDV 4 was being prepared for launch at LC-37B. The pad had not seen use since the mid-1960s when it served as a secondary site for the operation of Saturn Is and Saturn IBs, but now it too had been modernized and reactivated to launch the next generation of Saturns. AARDV 4's launch was pushed back a week from its original date, in order to load an updated list of items to match the current repair queue aboard Skylab.

IZvrj9P.png

ufDYVZm.png

For the first time, the docking procedure was performed autonomously through the DGM radar and computer, although for safety the crew all sheltered in the MDA with their spacesuits on, ready to evacuate to the CSM if the need arose. The DMP, having replaced the role of LMP from the lunar days, also stood ready at the console inside the DGM, prepared to take over manual control. 

LmRTsww.png

AARDV 4 achieved a perfect docking, and the crew were soon busy unloading its cargo. In the coming weeks they would begin the station renovation in earnest, performing numerous EVAs to service the exterior systems and replacing worn out electronics within the workshop itself. The broken ATM panel could not be repaired, unfortunately, being located on the forward side of the station and unreachable by the crew.

Bonus: DSCS-2-4/5 launching on Titan 23C:

wzNjoRb.png

M1MgtSh.png

I'm still hoping someone makes a set of standardized Hughes spinner busses someday. Kitbashing is fine and all but it just doesn't have the same shine to it, y'know?

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I noticed the bottom tank doesn't change in size when you elongate the upper tank. Shouldn't the bottom tank get longer or wider as well?

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sounds like work tbh.

At that point it would be easier to just make an even shorter s-2.

12 hours ago, 1124max said:

Just removed KJR and the phantom forces are down to a manageable level, though I will still need to test with the SLA. I assume that the remainder would be taken care of once with some adjustment of the rover on the deployment rack, as i currently have to manually adjust it's stowed position.

12 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

I don’t think there’ll be a fix for this because it seems like it’s more of an issue with KJR and robotics (from what I can tell) rather than BDB. It’s a shame though because I like KJR a lot and I think the stock autostrut system is very annoying and bothersome.

14 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Don't use KJR with robotic parts.  We (the community) recommend using the default auto struts provided by stock.  Also don't leave robotic parts autostruted, I found that out the hard way.

I've been able to use KJR:Next without phantom forces:

I also have KSPCF which may help with various autostrut issues with stock robotics:

If people want to test with those two mods installed and lmk I'd appreciate it! My recommendations is keep motors engaged, and only lock the base deployment hinge, and definitely avoid locking the chassis hinges, and tbh avoid any autostruts if possible (it's light enough it shouldn't need them).

I've also been balancing the LRV parts - the current dev version has some mass tweaks as of a few hours ago. The rover base chassis is heavier now, but the attachable parts are lighter, it's lighter overall, but the heavier base means there should be *less* issues with the wheel suspension before you add all the parts to it

And to balance it when it's all packed up on the LM descent stage, the J-Class Cargo Module has an extra slot and is slightly heavier. (total mass with the new cargo module mass and lighter rover is about 42kg heavier)

unknown.png

but with all the LRV parts in it, and a tiiiny bit of move tool work with RCS Build Aid in engine mode, you can basically perfectly balance it. It's definitely not balanced in-flight at the moment though... don't trust RCSBA's torque readout with robotic parts lol. Should be an easy fix, I didn’t even need to do any fancy manual CoM balancing in the first place!

If anyones impatient about a CoM fix, try this cargo module cfg (replace the one in the Apollo parts folder) https://github.com/Rodg88/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/703e6050198997309dbd7510ce5e3b0cea9e6700/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/Apollo/bluedog_LM_Q3_Storage.cfg

And if anyone is having issues with KJR:Next still, try these configs and please lmk if they help: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/985204794836811826/998871687724531762/kjrfixmaybe.zip

(just replace the configs in Apollo/LRV with the ones in that zip)

Edited by Rodger
kjr fix (maybe)

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

Found an issue on new system heat boil off, some parts still have old boil off active and LH2 still boiled away despite having sufficient heat capacity 

Do you mean on existing craft already in flight? Or do you mean on newly launched parts? If the later case please give specifics on which parts are affected and a screenshot of the part action window of at least 1 example.

Just now, bigyihsuan said:

Transtage v0?

More likely v2 - this document is from 1972, Transtage was (somewhat) happily flying by then.

Yeah, this has potential - there is one other picture in that doc that shows Shuttle-launched Viking.

Just now, bigyihsuan said:

Though, for gameplay purposes, since I don't do shuttle stuff, I'd probably still use it as a thicc Agena.

It can be used on pretty much anything that has a fairing bigger than 1.875m. The prime candidates are various Titan projects - 3M core with a couple of Algols and this Agena would make an excellent GSO launcher.

Just a quick little thing, I made a US style BDB flag. Felt the BDB flags was missing something like this. It’s on the GitHub but here’s also a png to give y’all an idea what it looks like:

US-13C.png 

4 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Wow. I’ve been looking for any sort of illustration of a wide body Agena. I’ve got a decent amount of stuff on my plate right now but I might consider this for another time.

Edited by Invaderchaos

7 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Wow. I’ve been looking for any sort of illustration of a wide body Agena. I’ve got a decent amount of stuff on my plate right now but I might consider this for another time.

You got any Agena 2000 stuff?

UPDATE - BLUEDOG DESIGN BUREAU  V 1.10.4 "Луна"

This is a minor patch update.

v1.10.0 RELEASE ALBUM

DOWNLOAD

GITHUB DOWNLOAD    |  SPACEDOCK DOWNLOAD (pending upload) 

should also be available via CKAN soon.

Changelog

v1.10.4

New content and features
- New Beacon 1 Satellite
- Delta GPS shark decals
- Filter extensions compatibility with custom icons and categories (Thanks to Rodg88)
- New United States style BDB flag

Updates and Enhancements
- Add clickable window to Skylab IVA
- Fireball effects to F1 and E1 engine startup (make sure to update Waterfall!)
- Update bundled Waterfall to v0.8.2

Bug fixes
- Skylab ATM ladder fix
- Fix node clearance on EOSS Aft MDA. COULD BREAK OR AFFECT SOME EXISTING CRAFT
- Payload sep texture fix
- SNAP texture fixes
- Wetlab module capitalisation issue (Thanks to Ash19256)
- Various other minor fixes

Edited by Zorg