[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, space-wizards said:

I've also been getting this a lot lately, especially with JNSQ, Kerbalism, and Skyhawk. If anyone else has a fix, it would be greatly appreciated

Yes, I forgot to mention this is RSS with Kerbalism and Skyhawk.  I didn't think about this maybe being a Skyhawk issue.  I'll post it there as well.

Edited by CAPFlyer

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

How much Alt-F12 stuff was used during making these?

(I've tried to do a VFB once, in 2.5x KSRSS. Result was basically "you can't do that unless you cheat".)

I've done it before in 2.5X KSRSS with Apollo era hardware and without cheating. It is hard to do but if you time the alignment  of Earth and Venus and have really good skill and or luck you can use Venus as a slingshot back to Earth and use the CSM's engine to reenter.

Edited by Pudgemountain

3 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

I've done it before in 2.5X KSRSS and Apollo era technology without cheating. It is hard to do but if you time the alignment  of Earth and Venus and have really good skill or luck you can use Venus as a slingshot back to Earth and use the CSM's engine to reenter.

I, for one, would be incredibly interested to see the initial planetary alignment before ejection.

1 hour ago, Pudgemountain said:

I've done it before in 2.5X KSRSS with Apollo era hardware and without cheating. It is hard to do but if you time the alignment  of Earth and Venus and have really good skill and or luck you can use Venus as a slingshot back to Earth and use the CSM's engine to reenter.

The "easiest" way is a multi stage slingshot.

I have never been successful in planing slingshot maneuvers...

And that is the EASIEST way

There is a great mod, that for some reason does not work with my mod list, that is supposed to do amazing planning including multi planet slingshots.. (I will be honest I haven't spent huge amounts of time trying to debug it.)

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I like your kitbash a lot better than all the real C-8 drawings.

I will agree with this the narrower stages really make the rocket look better (both the C-8 and your new C-8B) @GoldForest

I still don't like the real Saturn-Direct.  But the kitbashes range from slightly more than stomach-able... to actually interesting looking (C-8B) 

TBC it isn't your fault.   You must have been dropped on your head at some point in your life to actually like Saturn Direct.  :D  :P :P

But that is your opinion and you are welcome to have it.  

But your use of NFLV tanks to make your kitbashes actually are pretty fair to interesting by comparison to the real thing.   The real rocket just looks fat and ugly.    

55 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I will agree with this the narrower stages really make the rocket look better (both the C-8 and your new C-8B) @GoldForest

I still don't like the real Saturn-Direct.  But the kitbashes range from slightly more than stomach-able... to actually interesting looking (C-8B) 

TBC it isn't your fault.   You must have been dropped on your head at some point in your life to actually like Saturn Direct.  :D  :P :P

But that is your opinion and you are welcome to have it.  

But your use of NFLV tanks to make your kitbashes actually are pretty fair to interesting by comparison to the real thing.   The real rocket just looks fat and ugly.    

You only like the C-8B because it's basically a "Fat"urn (Fat-Saturn) and people seem to like the 'fat' rockets. Fatlas and LDC Titan. :D

I like it because big rocket, very powerful. Also, I do genuinely like the shape. I mean, Saturn I has the same shape and I've heard no one call it ugly. (I'm talking about the ORIGINAL Saturn I, the Saturn C-1 with Centaur/S-V)

And again, I'm just following the design on Wikipedia: Saturn C-8 - Wikipedia Not so much the drawing as the physical dimensions mentioned in the side bar. 

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Surprise engine I was working on on my laptop during my travels to keep myself occupied. Anyone recognise it?

untitled2.png

untitled.png?width=1152&height=1152

untitled3.png

untitled4.png

You did this on your laptop? Man, you guys already deserve a lot of credit, but this is overachievement at its best.

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

Surprise engine I was working on on my laptop during my travels to keep myself occupied. Anyone recognise it?

untitled2.png

untitled.png?width=1152&height=1152

untitled3.png

untitled4.png

B.O.B Mk7 Fluorine + Cyclohexane engine?

:P

Sorry I helped in *TRYING* to find source material (I obviously failed to come up with anything new.)   But I have now seen enough images of that engine to know what it was/is/is supposed to be.

4 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

Is that the New J-2 sponsored by Airstream? JK.

Lol don’t understand the reference to airstream, is it just the grey colour? :D

Anyway what this is is the MB-60 (also known as MARC-60 and MB-XX). An expander bleed cycle upper stage engine by Mitsubishi in collaboration with Rocketdyne which at the time was a division of Boeing. 

it was considered as a Delta IV upgrade along with the RL60. Both engines are sometimes confused for each other and they had very similar stats. Both targeted 60k lbf of thrust (hence the 60 I their name). the fuel turbopump for both was by Ishikawajima Harima Heavy industries and probably was very similar. But RL60 was closed expander and had a little more Isp. The RL60 was a primarily American led project by P&W with IHI fuel pump, CADB from russia doing the lox pump (v different times) and Volvo doing the nozzle extension. 

In broad terms what you are getting is RL10B2 Isp with over double the thrust.

2x MB60 was briefly considered for the EUS for SLS as well. The MB-XX designation was used later in the project as a broader term because there was a down rated version called MB-35 but the power head looks very different so I’m probably not doing that one 

Edited by Zorg

24 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Lol don’t understand the reference to airstream, is it just the grey colour? :D

Airstream is a brand of Travel Trailer. They are widely known as those shiny silver round trailers that look like a silver blimp or as Mr. C on Happy Days referred to an Airstream as the Hindenburg because it resembled that.

But yes it is a nod to the grey lol. The lighting makes it look silvery.

Edited by Pudgemountain

1 hour ago, Pudgemountain said:

Airstream is a brand of Travel Trailer. They are widely known as those shiny silver round trailers that look like a silver blimp or as Mr. C on Happy Days referred to an Airstream as the Hindenburg because it resembled that.

Still would need a good buff to shine it up.

1 hour ago, Socowez said:

Do I just report bugs here or somewhere else?

anyway before you answer that the "Titan II GLV 1.875m Gemini Spacecraft Stack Decoupler" has Z-fighting for some reason

Here’s fine. Do you have BellaTU installed? I did an update for that recently-ish, but pretty sure I did miss some parts. I can probably give it another look soon.

1 hour ago, Kerbiter said:

hello, any updates on the IR version of the skylab ATM truss? i don't have breaking ground and would love to be able to use this part

IR isn’t going to be supported in BDB, and not even sure that part would work in IR. So unless Zorg really want to start losing hair at an accelerated rate it’s unlikely

Edited by Rodger

4 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

3 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Still would need a good buff to shine it up.

Yeah I know of airstream but I didn't really see the connection with the material. This is more like it maybe :P

Spoiler

as.png

Just a heads-up for people using the dev branch, the current version of it has a new dependency - DeployableEngines. A copy is included in the dev branch's GameData, or get it here: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/DeployableEngines/releases

(you might already have it if you use Nerta's CryoEngines or KerbalAtomics)