[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I saw a comment by @CobaltWolf a while ago (5-10 pages back, maybe more?) saying he added color variants for the handles on the Apollo CSM decoupler and service module. It would be cool if that color switch also applied to the docking port please 

visual aid included

Fc5FCJ-XEAAdo6G?format=jpg&name=4096x409

edit, black bar version maybe as well? just a suggestion

Edited by Socowez
the

1 hour ago, Socowez said:

I saw a comment by @CobaltWolf a while ago (5-10 pages back, maybe more?) saying he added color variants for the handles on the Apollo CSM decoupler and service module. It would be cool if that color switch also applied to the docking port please 

visual aid included

This is the best post i have ever seen here

2 hours ago, Socowez said:

visual aid included

This image is genuinely one of the best things in this thread

6 hours ago, Socowez said:

visual aid included

"I kek'd"

1 hour ago, NateDaBeast said:

What is the resolution for this? I feel like I can touch it. If only this could be replicated in-game.

These are about 3500 pixels wide originally. But yeah in game is going to be different than Blender Cycles ray traced rendering but just having some fun with visualising how to texture it later while working on it.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

These are about 3500 pixels wide originally. But yeah in game is going to be different than Blender Cycles ray traced rendering but just having some fun with visualising how to texture it later while working on it.

900% Joking but you need a little circular Solar Array to stack on-top of the RTG :D  

actually fixed circular solar arrays are rather missing in KSP...   It seems everything thinks squares are better.

The model looks amazing... at first I thought it was a plastic scale model kit.   It has "THAT LOOK" to it

On 9/13/2022 at 8:37 PM, Pappystein said:

The "easiest" way is a multi stage slingshot.

I have never been successful in planing slingshot maneuvers...

And that is the EASIEST way

There is a great mod, that for some reason does not work with my mod list, that is supposed to do amazing planning including multi planet slingshots.. (I will be honest I haven't spent huge amounts of time trying to debug it.)

So, getting back to this.  KSP TOT looks kinda heavy since it requires MATLAB.  So, sell me on why to use it over porkchop plots for JNSQ.  We don't have the plethora of streamers covering mods these days like the good old days...

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

Damn, that's freaking GORGEOUS.

One small request: would it be possible to enable surface attach on these "plates" on top of RTGs?

Sure why not.

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

900% Joking but you need a little circular Solar Array to stack on-top of the RTG :D  

So not at all part of the proposal but joking or not that idea does sound kinda fun. I'll definitely consider it.

2 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

So, getting back to this.  KSP TOT looks kinda heavy since it requires MATLAB.  So, sell me on why to use it over porkchop plots for JNSQ.  We don't have the plethora of streamers covering mods these days like the good old days...

It can calculate multiple trajectories, so you can figure out the optimum earth departure date for a Venus flyby and return.  Porkchop plots are one way, so you'd need to do a lot of trial and error to get to the same result.

But I find KSPTOT impenetrable and I've never worked out how to use it properly, so I resort to winging it, usually with spectacularly awful failures and a lot of Kerbals ...uuuh, "enjoying life long orbital observation of Venus"

Al2me6 from the RO-engines team had already done this so we just brought this upstream into BDB. An RL10-C3 nozzle created from bits of the RL10B2 nozzle. Being a fixed extension this is a new subtype on the basic RL10 model.

For a rocket to use this on....

Screenshot_2022-09-18_at_19.41.21.png

Edited by Zorg

35 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Al2me6 from the RO-engines team had already done this so we just brought this upstream into BDB. An RL10-C3 nozzle created from bits of the RL10B2 nozzle. Being a fixed extension this is a new subtype on the basic RL10 model.

I always thought the C-3 would have a longer nozzle than the B-2.

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I always thought the C-3 would have a longer nozzle than the B-2.

The B2 nozzle extension is made in 3 parts: a fixed segment and two joined up segments on the moving part. The C-3 is all fixed and only use the upper two segments.

11 minutes ago, Zorg said:

The B2 nozzle extension is made in 3 parts: a fixed segment and two joined up segments on the moving part. The C-3 is all fixed and only use the upper two segments.

Why go with a shorter nozzle? For more thrust? Wouldn't more efficiency be better for a Moon shot?

Edited by GoldForest

16 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Why go with a shorter nozzle? For more thrust? Wouldn't more efficiency be better for a Moon shot?

I dont know. A shorter nozzle would give slightly lower Isp, meaning slightly lower thrust for the same mass flow, not higher thrust.

8 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Short version, TOT can calculate multiple slingshots at once... supposedly (again I haven't been successful in even getting the mod to work but ALSO I have not dug into WHY so I am sure it is on my end.

That means you can plan an Kerbin, Eve, Kerbin  type slingshot at the start (no hoping you can do the 2nd or 3rd slingshots, you already have them planned.)

28 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Cost and reliability and Man rating.   Besides C-3 is only used on Artemis for the 1st and maybe the 2nd launch.  After the 2nd launch RL10C-X (which is Bigger than B-2 IIRC) is supposed to take over.

my Bad The First 2 Artemis launches are on B-2 engines.   The C-3 is the final EUS version, and it actually has similar (but slightly lower) performance to the B-2.  saving about 60kg per engine by going with the fixed smaller nozzle.     So in the end the weight savings offers about a handwash in payload to distance BUT with increased reliablity of less moving parts.

Edited by Pappystein