[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 1/15/2023 at 5:46 AM, GoldForest said:

So... Atlas Heavy didn't go so well... I guess I shouldn't have tried to lift like 60 tons though... 

I don't know why i have the urge to say this but it's driving me crazy that you have srbs on that haha

On 1/15/2023 at 5:46 AM, GoldForest said:

So... Atlas Heavy didn't go so well... I guess I shouldn't have tried to lift like 60 tons though... 

I don't know why i have the urge to say this but it's driving me crazy that you have srbs on that haha

On 1/13/2023 at 5:17 AM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

If you're trying to plan which experiments to take with you based on what you've already done, and your current mission profile, there are two things you need. Once is the R&D building's Archive tab. And the other is this:

absolute life saver man this is exactly what i needed :D thanks so much!!!!

10 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Well, the Delta Heavy had plans to put SRBs on it, so it's not too farfetched to think they would augment the Atlas Heavy with SRBs as well. 

In other words: Atlas Heavy boosted by SRBs is based. 

Edited by GoldForest

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Well, the Delta Heavy had plans to put SRBs on it, so it's not too farfetched to think they would augment the Atlas Heavy with SRBs as well. 

In other words: Atlas Heavy boosted by SRBs is based. 

Im just guessing here without looking into anything but I would assume an atlas with 3 cores without srbs would still outperform the Delta heavy. Im only saying this because the Atlas 551 was considerably better than the other Delta IV variants. 

55 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

Im just guessing here without looking into anything but I would assume an atlas with 3 cores without srbs would still outperform the Delta heavy. Im only saying this because the Atlas 551 was considerably better than the other Delta IV variants. 

Actually, Delta Heavy and Atlas Heavy had almost the same performance, so they cancelled the Atlas Heavy. 

Like near 1 to 1.

Atlas HLV could do around 1000 kg more, give or take a hundred or two. 

Edited by GoldForest

24 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Actually, Delta Heavy and Atlas Heavy had the same performance, so they cancelled the Atlas Heavy. 

Like near 1 to 1.

Atlas HLV could do around 1000 kg more, give or take a hundred or two. 

surly that could not have been the reason to cancel it considering the cost of delta compared to atlas. Right?

2 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

surly that could not have been the reason to cancel it considering the cost of delta compared to atlas. Right?

AFAIK, that's the only reason they cancelled Atlas Heavy, was because they were too similar in performance. I think Delta Heavy was already made and had a production facility, so it would have been costly to cancel Delta Heavy and to retool for Atlas Heavy, just to get a 1000 kg performance boost. 

@Zorg Would probably know more than me. 

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

AFAIK, that's the only reason they cancelled Atlas Heavy, was because they were too similar in performance. I think Delta Heavy was already made and had a production facility, so it would have been costly to cancel Delta Heavy and to retool for Atlas Heavy, just to get a 1000 kg performance boost. 

Speaking of atlas.... I am in the middle of the mariner 1 mission as we are speaking. 

Spoiler

WmZsRtl.jpg

On 1/16/2023 at 3:34 AM, Pudgemountain said:

20230115113505_1_by_pudgemountain_dfmulvv-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZm11bHZ2LWU0YmIxMWIyLWZhNmYtNGNmNy05NGMwLWNjZDk5NzNkOGMzMy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.haJB9dcxEvi2TNaNwIrMcW80regqM29NfashadUOywE

So we may or may not had violated a international treaty, atleast it wasn't used for war.

If I were the Krussians, I'd be more worried about where that big tank of nuclear material is going to fall/explode over rather than the fact you exploded nuclear weapons in space (btw, you're probably gonna have to send a LOT of tourists to pay for those satellites you just EMP'd!)

5 hours ago, Queen Ultima said:

If I were the Krussians, I'd be more worried about where that big tank of nuclear material is going to fall/explode over rather than the fact you exploded nuclear weapons in space (btw, you're probably gonna have to send a LOT of tourists to pay for those satellites you just EMP'd!)

True and fortunately we got it into orbit and enroute to Valentine. If it succeeds we might one day open up tourist destinations to the Valentine system just will take 75-100 years to get there lol.

On 1/17/2023 at 6:57 AM, dave1904 said:

On 1/17/2023 at 7:03 AM, GoldForest said:

Keep in mind that both Atlas V and Delta IV were developed independently by separate companies until Boeing and Lockheed merged their space launch divisions into ULA as part of a lawsuit settlement. Both rockets were developed and the factory sized with the assumption that they would win all the EELV launches and indeed all US gov launches. Some of the details of how things panned out are a bit fuzzy and I dont seem to have the entire history saved somewhere. But roughly speaking Delta IV won the initial round of high energy orbit contracts thus opening the door for the heavy to be put into production. Following the merger in 2006 the Atlas V and Delta IV lineups continued as they were.

In theory Atlas HLV was never cancelled, right to the end it was offered as long as a customer had a need and was willing to pay for pad upgrades. Tory Bruno stated something like a 30 month lead time for an HLV order.

A big part of the reason why Delta IV is more expensive goes back to that first assumption, they never achieved the economies of scale that were originally envisioned. Atlas V was helped to an extent as they managed to win several commercial contracts in the first decade of operations while Delta IV only ever won a single one.

For some reason I felt like making a space station using parts from the Agena docking target (and some other extras)...
52636523730_1f1438a13d_o.png
New custom rocket, not sure what to call it. It's named Titan X for the time being (even though it's mostly Saturn components).
52635569537_b6b87bf571_o.png
52636524130_6d99ce3209_o.png
The first crew makes their approach in darkness.
52635569077_6c1b524a41_o.png
The crew successfully deploys the inflatable habitat ring. Behold this...thing.
52636341144_54584238c8_o.png
In all honesty I'm fairly proud of the final result. This is actually version 2 of this concept. The original used FASA parts which were scaled to 1.25m, but I had to redo the design a bit with the smaller BDB components.

The station is now available on KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/ADS-Block-II

Edited by Blufor878

24 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Excuse me guys, but I've found something wierd on latest build of BDB.

Search prompt Explorer. With RealNames

I just looked at the history of the cfg for that part, seems like @Invaderchaos added those tags because the part is reused in the RAE Explorer probe?

6 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

How does the yoyo despin work in the game physics. Is it somehow cheating the physics engine or is it actually working like in real life?

Somewhere in the middle, if I remember. It does actually move the CoM of the weights away from the craft before jettisoning them. I don't think you have nearly as much control and precision as you would in real life, though.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Somewhere in the middle, if I remember. It does actually move the CoM of the weights away from the craft before jettisoning them. I don't think you have nearly as much control and precision as you would in real life, though.

Oh. I used used it the first time because I never expected it to actually work. It works great. 

17 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

Hey guys. 

Is there a possibility to request white Atlas V upper tank like in recent launches?

There is no white Atlas V. It's ice like Cobalt said. 

The top half of the Atlas V main tank is the LOX tank. LOX tanks are cold enough that they freeze the moisture around the tank, forming ice. The Kerosene tank isn't cold enough to do this, so the bottom half stays the copper red color while the top half gets hidden behind white ice. 

Though, a white Atlas V might look good. @CobaltWolf @Zorg BDB 2.0, white (Fictional) Atlas scheme? 

Edited by GoldForest