[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Alpha512 said:

Spacelaunchreport is dead, alas. But all the designs mentioned there can be found on https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=26915 alongside the flown ones

Here is the web archive link. It is all there, for the time being:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220416202322/http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/

2 hours ago, SynFuZe said:

Is there a problem with the parts themselves showing up in KSP? I tried to get the parts from the assembly menu but its like most of the parts from BDB aren't showing up in game

If you're not in sandbox mode, they will be distributed through the tech tree and might need unlocking, but otherwise it might be an incorrect installation/bad download. How did you download the mod?

12 minutes ago, shakuvendell said:

Hey, so what craft is the Sarnus-SIVB-APS-550 Auxiliary Propulsion System from? The one with the forward-facing thruster?

It's a fictional RCS pod made by Cobalt to give any of the Saturn stages the ability to reverse when docking in orbit.

So, I got bored and decided to launch a... 'payload' on top of the Titan IVB. It's a little cursed, not going to lie. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

oNWuRon.png

xMXdKjb.png

MO98u05.png

qT1gQpz.png

You ready for the cursed payload?

Spoiler

Are you sure?

Spoiler

Last chance to back out. I'm telling you, it's really messed up. 

Spoiler

Alright, I warned you. Here you go:

Spoiler

wW2YEUS.png

CdEk3yG.png

8Y9Zq5b.png

ekUIKsk.png

LdM3FsZ.png

QhJHGpW.png

Xg47dAB.png

viktNrJ.png

The tiny dot at the top right of the Sun is Moho.

A2HUNX3.png

I have questions about the 1.875m docking port, the flat androgynous forked one with "MOL" in its name, I think file bluedog_MOL_DockingPort.cfg. The port's node marker ball shown when attaching in VAB is surprisingly tiny, much smaller than the 1.25m CADS and stock port node balls.

Does the game think the MOL port is smaller and weaker than it looks visually? Will the MOL port wobble more than expected because of the tiny node?

The port seems ok in use, but my station is only 1/3 complete and I wonder what to expect later. If the CADS port is actually stronger I'll start using that instead.

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

It's a fictional RCS pod made by Cobalt to give any of the Saturn stages the ability to reverse when docking in orbit.

So, I got bored and decided to launch a... 'payload' on top of the Titan IVB. It's a little cursed, not going to lie. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

oNWuRon.png

xMXdKjb.png

MO98u05.png

qT1gQpz.png

You ready for the cursed payload?

Hide contents

Are you sure?

Hide contents

Last chance to back out. I'm telling you, it's really messed up. 

Hide contents

Alright, I warned you. Here you go:

Hide contents

wW2YEUS.png

CdEk3yG.png

8Y9Zq5b.png

ekUIKsk.png

LdM3FsZ.png

QhJHGpW.png

Xg47dAB.png

viktNrJ.png

The tiny dot at the top right of the Sun is Moho.

A2HUNX3.png

I’ve seen worse…

Also I work in the medical field…probably helps.

20 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

I’ve seen worse…

Also I work in the medical field…probably helps.

I didn't say it was the most cursed, just that it was pretty cursed. :P

@Blufor878 I mean, let's be honest... launching an ENTIRE Vanguard TV-3 rocket into orbit, along with an entire fully fueled Centaur T'? Cursed. But then to send the Vanguard 1 satellite INTERSTELLAR? Really cursed. 

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

I have questions about the 1.875m docking port, the flat androgynous forked one with "MOL" in its name, I think file bluedog_MOL_DockingPort.cfg. The port's node marker ball shown when attaching in VAB is surprisingly tiny, much smaller than the 1.25m CADS and stock port node balls.

Does the game think the MOL port is smaller and weaker than it looks visually? Will the MOL port wobble more than expected because of the tiny node?

The port seems ok in use, but my station is only 1/3 complete and I wonder what to expect later. If the CADS port is actually stronger I'll start using that instead.

Oh, you're right. The nodes were set to size 0, which is for 0.625m parts. I just set them to size 2, which is used for 2.5m parts and should be much stronger.

I just uploaded a fix to the Github, but in the meantime you can fix the part in your local install by just changing these two 0's to 2 in the part cfg you already found.

ecArf7U.png

One thing though - I'm not sure this will take affect on crafts already in orbit. You could try either editing your save file, or relaunching the parts of the station you've sent so far.

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, you're right. The nodes were set to size 0, which is for 0.625m parts. I just set them to size... [snipped for brevity]

Thanks.

I think your fix will also reduce drag. A vertical stack of 1.825m tank (or other part), MOL port, 2nd MOL port, another 1.825m tank was previously creating a lot of extra drag between mismatched nodes.

Your detailed reply also clears up my confusion about general docking port configuration. I knew that docking ports had to have matching node types, as in "nodeType = MOSport". I was curious why I could never find any further definition for "MOSport" and other custom docking port types in the BDB files. Now I realize that the nodeType is just a tag rather than a reference.

7 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

I think your fix will also reduce drag. A vertical stack of 1.825m tank (or other part), MOL port, 2nd MOL port, another 1.825m tank was previously creating a lot of extra drag between mismatched nodes.

Your detailed reply also clears up my confusion about general docking port configuration. I knew that docking ports had to have matching node types, as in "nodeType = MOSport". I was curious why I could never find any further definition for "MOSport" and other custom docking port types in the BDB files. Now I realize that the nodeType is just a tag rather than a reference.

Hmm, I don't know if that would cause drag? Nodes used to affect it years ago but I think they fixed that in like... 1.0.4 or something?

And yeah, there's no separate file that defines the docking port types, their nodeType strings just have to match.

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I didn't say it was the most cursed, just that it was pretty cursed. :P

@Blufor878 I mean, let's be honest... launching an ENTIRE Vanguard TV-3 rocket into orbit, along with an entire fully fueled Centaur T'? Cursed. But then to send the Vanguard 1 satellite INTERSTELLAR? Really cursed. 

Play Mars Horizon, you can launch a Mercury Capsule and Gemini Spacecraft with a Space Shuttle.

1 minute ago, Pudgemountain said:

Play Mars Horizon, you can launch a Mercury Capsule and Gemini Spacecraft with a Space Shuttle.

Even better you can’t launch soyuz on the soyuz rocket…

I do play it on the switch whenever I’m away from the PC. When I get back on my computer I tend to translate the designs I made there into KSP. It’s ok, but definitely not KSP.

So I have an Itch to write another article...

Problem is.. I have NO IDEA what I want to write it on.    Looking for suggestions for my next historical article.  

A couple of things I won't write about:   I won't write about Nuclear weapons, nor the Ballistic missile side of the space race other than in the pure space sense. (don't ask me to write an article on how the Peacekeeper guided it's warheads for example, but I could write one on how it evolved into the Minotaur IV/V/VI)

On 1/26/2023 at 9:07 AM, Pappystein said:

So I have an Itch to write another article...

Problem is.. I have NO IDEA what I want to write it on.    Looking for suggestions for my next historical article. 

A couple of things I won't write about:   I won't write about Nuclear weapons, nor the Ballistic missile side of the space race other than in the pure space sense. (don't ask me to write an article on how the Peacekeeper guided it's warheads for example, but I could write one on how it evolved into the Minotaur IV/V/VI)

Apropos of nothing, yes, I do believe a history on how Minuteman and Peacekeeper became Minotaur would be interesting.

31 minutes ago, BlackDinoShadows said:

Does atlas engine shroud have doors that can open and close like this?

3 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

@BlackDinoShadowsIt does not.

Currently, no. It's definitely a detail that would be included in the Atlas revamp, but that's on indefinite hold at the moment - might not come until KSP2.