[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

You're all heared about Elf On A Shelf but what about image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

ApollOn A Proton? (Russian language pun intended)

Yay I've finally got more RAM! Now to make more cursed monstrosities.

Actually quite reasonable build. Managed to get skylab apollo into 140x140 orbit with 400 deltaV to spare.

Used sloped tragectory. The same one used on a Saturn I/IB.

Pitch start 100 m/s pitch rate 0.3. Jettisoned LES after 1st stage burnout.

Edited by ra4nd0m

3 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

You're all heared about Elf On A Shelf but what about image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

ApollOn A Proton? (Russian language pun intended)

Yay I've finally got more RAM! Now to make more cursed monstrosities.

Actually quite reasonable build. Managed to get skylab apollo into 140x140 orbit with 400 deltaV to spare.

Used sloped tragectory. The same one used on a Saturn I/IB.

Pitch start 100 m/s pitch rate 0.3. Jettisoned LES after 1st stage burnout.

2 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

It is time for the Uno reverse card.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Aww you beat me to it.
52688060213_5f07e428d6_o.png
52687047527_3b16c776ff_o.png
52687843714_6d614627c6_o.png
No, we can do better, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY (mods...)
52687565686_f4f88fd59b_o.png
52687565621_f25f052d89_o.png

Hey all,

I just started a MM patch that adds the build guide/description found on the BDB unofficial wiki stages using the real rocket name information. Basically it lists the stages (and engines where possible) found on the wiki and appends it to the end of any part used for that launch vehicle. I plan on going through the descriptors, cross-referencing where needed (my knowledge of real life rocket names has vastly increased over the years since starting KSP but I'm not great with the stages on many of the launch vehicles/rockets still) and then adding to the existing MM patch little by little each day. However, I want to make sure this hasn't been done, or no one has started or is currently already working on something like this. So I figured I'd save my self some potential headache and ask first.

Example of what's being made (just finished the Scout and Vanguard, making a version for real_description parts and part names only):

Spoiler
// This adds the build information to help put together rockets to each LV (taken from https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki)
// By shoe7ess

// These add the build description to the parts using the "real_description" already
@PART[*Scout*]:HAS[#real_description]:AFTER[BDB_RealNames]
{
   +real_description ^= :$:Scout LV Build<color=yellow> First Stage = Algol | Second Stage = Castor | Third Stage = Antares | Fourth Stage = Star 20 - Altair</color> :
}
@PART[*Vanguard*]:HAS[#real_description]:AFTER[BDB_RealNames]
{
   +real_description ^= :$:Vanguard LV Build<color=yellow> First Stage = Vanguard | Second Stage = AJ10 (Thor/Able) | Third Stage = Star-20</color> :
}

// These add the build description to the parts that don't have the "real_description" line in the part info
@PART[*Scout*]:AFTER[BDB_RealNames]
{
   +description ^= :$:Scout LV Build<color=yellow> First Stage = Algol | Second Stage = Castor | Third Stage = Antares | Fourth Stage = Star 20 - Altair</color> :
}
@PART[*Vanguard*]:HAS[#real_description]:AFTER[BDB_RealNames]
{
   +description ^= :$:Vanguard LV Build<color=yellow> First Stage = Vanguard | Second Stage = AJ10 + Able | Third Stage = Star-20</color> :
}

I got tired of having to alt-tab to look some stuff up when building my rockets (the notepad mod worked great, but it sadly stopped showing up in my save) and I'm following a historic progression career that utilizes BDB almost exclusively. I am very grateful that the part names are all very easy to grab on an @PARTS pass, so it's just adding the extra info using that as a starting point. I may change my mind on color and location but it's a start.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated (if you know the basic stage setup to some of the rockets in BDB and don't mind sharing it that would also be insanely helpful. The wiki tends to use real names and the BDB names interchangeably sometimes, and I want to make sure I'm following the right track, or plume, or whatever. Thanks! for all the awesome pictures by the way fam, I've started putting them in my loading screen to fill up that 20 minutes of monotony. :)

Edited by shoe7ess

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I'm away for a little bit, I come back and I find that BDB has gone Russian... 

Just you watch, I can make BDB Japanese too (well, I kinda already did).
52549596362_84847d778d_o.png
52550350504_980c961275_o.png

Edited by Blufor878

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I'm away for a little bit, I come back and I find that BDB has gone Russian... 

Allways has been.

Anyway, here's another cursed but reasonable build.

TKS on an SLS.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Got into a perfect 180x180 orbit.  Dropped core at periapsis of around 23km. Full burnout.

So a perfect SLS-style launch.

Considering the amount of DeltaV I can go Apollo-style and fit a lander inside payload cone.

Just imagine how much easier transposition and docking would be on a TKS.

Edit: Actually a better way to build TKS fairing is use not procedural but classic fairing. It allows much better shape.

image.png

Edited by ra4nd0m

1 hour ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

So are we just making cursed rockets now?

Wait, I thought that's more or less what we've been doing along with BDB's content updates?

6 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

Wait. Is that an APOLLO DOCKING SYSTEM? Why oh why?!?!

I mean, it's easier than lugging around a docking adapter. Also because it's kinda funny.

In case anyone actually is following, I've made further progress on the LV Builder description MM patch. I've gotten to Redstone, and thus my first multi-build part. I've found that the Redstone has some Juno parts that could be found with only "Juno" in the name, which wouldn't be caused by the patch so I'm not sure what to do about that unless I get into more detailed builds, which would just bloat the descriptions. Really wish I could embed links sometimes...
Anyone interested, made some fixes from the last. Still not sure about the syntax to add the description (I used another as an example with ^= at the beginning, but used the regex to insert the actual text to the end of the descriptors. I still have a ways to go but keep finding ways to improve/make things easier.

Daily 2/14/2022 (Going to be making a repo soon and just tossing the random MM stuff you guys may see around the forums on it I think. we need a more up to date MM patch)

Spoiler
// This adds the build information to help put together rockets to each LV (taken from https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki)
// Patch created by shoe7ess

// These add the build description to the parts using the "real_description" already
@PART[*Scout*]:HAS[#real_description]:AFTER[BDB_RealNames]  // https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Scout
{
   +real_description ^= :$:Scout LV<color=yellow> First Stage = Algol | Second Stage = Castor | Third Stage = Antares | Fourth Stage = Star-20 Altair</color> :
}
@PART[*Vanguard*]:HAS[#real_description]:AFTER[BDB_RealNames] // https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Vanguard
{
   +real_description ^= :$:Vanguard LV<color=yellow> First Stage = Vanguard (SLR50) | Second Stage = Vanguard-800 AJ10 (Thor/Able) | Third Stage = Vanguard-100 (AJ10-37) | Star-20 Altair</color> :
}
@PART[*Redstone*]:HAS[#real_description]:AFTER[BDB_RealNames]
{
   +real_description ^= :$:Jupiter-C/Juno I LV<color=yellow> First Stage = Redstone-1400+400 "Juno Config" (Sandstone) | (Juno Guidance Unit & Control Jets) Second Stage = Explorer (Sergeant Rocket) | Juno Nosecone</color> :
   +real_description ^= :$:SPARTA<color=yellow> First Stage = Redstone-1400 (Sandstone) | (Sparta Guidance Unit & Control Jets) | Second Stage = Star 31 Antares III | Sparta Interstage | Third Stage = Star BE-3 | WRESAT</color> :
   +real_description ^= :$:Mercury-Redstone<color=yellow> First Stage = Redstone-1400+400 "Juno Config" (Sandstone) | Redstone Guidance Unit | Second Stage = Mercury Command Pod (Assembly)</color> :
}

// These add the build description to the parts that don't have the "real_description" line in the part info, optional but useful
@PART[*Scout*]:!HAS[#real_description]:FOR[BDB_RealNames]  // https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Scout
{
   +description ^= :$:Scout LV Build<color=yellow> First Stage = Algol | Second Stage = Castor | Third Stage = Antares | Fourth Stage = Star-20 Altair</color> :
}
@PART[*Vanguard*]:!HAS[#real_description]:FOR[BDB_RealNames] // https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Vanguard
{
   +description ^= :$:Vanguard LV Build<color=yellow> First Stage = Vanguard (SLR50) | Second Stage = Vanguard-800 AJ10 (Thor/Able) | Third Stage = Vanguard-100 (AJ10-37) | Star-20 Altair</color> :
}
@PART[*Redstone*]:!HAS[#real_description]:FOR[BDB_RealNames]
{ 
   +real_description ^= :$:Jupiter-C/Juno I LV<color=yellow> First Stage = Redstone-1400+400 "Juno Config" (Sandstone) | (Juno Guidance Unit & Control Jets) Second Stage = Explorer (Sergeant Rocket) | Juno Nosecone</color> :
   +real_description ^= :$:SPARTA<color=yellow> First Stage = Redstone-1400 (Sandstone) | (Sparta Guidance Unit & Control Jets) | Second Stage = Star 31 Antares III | Sparta Interstage | Third Stage = Star BE-3 | WRESAT</color> :
   +real_description ^= :$:Mercury-Redstone<color=yellow> First Stage = Redstone-1400+400 "Juno Config" (Sandstone) | Redstone Guidance Unit | Second Stage = Mercury Command Pod (Assembly)</color> :
}

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Weird to think that this will be the last set of parts for BDB1

...or not, I don't know, depends on how modding for KSP2 shakes out this year...

Yn5LXOS.png
4lLIfjn.png

I'm gonna sound dumb, but what am I looking at here? It looks neat.