[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Minotaur 1, basically the first two stages from a decommissioned Minuteman, then the upper stages of a Pegasus XL. The later rockets in the family, IV and V, are already in the mod. (Minotaur II and III are suborbital target vehicles for ABM testing)

Minuteman_MX_Minotaur_1200x700.jpg

minotaur__mightysat21__1.jpgminotaur-1__tacsat-3__1.jpg

Minotaur_Stages.jpg

I got sniped by @DaveyJ576

Funny because all I see are SRMs for the Saturn II INT-19 are in the offing! :D

I guess I better get my Butt in gear and finish this Minotaur I article I am working on

In this alternate timeline, after having problems designing N1, Korolev decided to relocate funds to a much more promising alternative - if you can't do something but someone can, just ask nicely to share. So after wasting the entire space programm budget on a dimension hopping device, the Soviets managed to infiltrate alternative timeline USA and hijack J2 and hydrogen engines techonolgy and grab a few spare Apollo capsule blueprints. It is communism after all. Even those pesky Amercians should share in the name of humanity.

The result was Pobeda - a J2 outifitted N1 which outeperforms that pesky warcriminal designed Saturn V.

Here's pictures of its first test flight.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Orbital isertion is complete. Soviet technology preveils once again.image.png

Staging sucsessful. 

It is time to go and claim Luna in the name of Marksism-Leninism!

It is no joke. n1's first stage utterly outperforms in terms of ISP Saturn's SIC. Closed cylce for the win!

This rocket is a BEAST.

Edited by ra4nd0m

My earlier post concerning the relative merits of solid rockets vs liquid fuel rockets was of course meant to be in total jest. If you can't tell by my avatar I am a Navy veteran so I take a great deal of pleasure in poking at my brothers-in-arms in the Air Force/Space Force.

As far as KSP is concerned, you have to admit that flying an all solid rocket can at times be an exercise in frustration. If it wasn't for the Safe Solid shutdown system they would be nearly unusable. For obvious reasons it is impossible for KSP/BDB to completely reproduce real life physics, and the ability to accurately target specific orbital parameters in-game with a solid motor is somewhat limited. For those reasons I tend to shy away from all-solid rockets. As strap-on boosters they are great (go Titan!), but Scout and the like tend to be difficult to fly precisely.

This takes nothing away from the dev team's excellent work on the Minotaur rocket. Once again the quality of the art work alone is amazing!

So I thought I would share an update on my Article writing.  I have found a historical conundrum that I can not solve via Web... too many contradictory sources with no real citations that are trustworthy enough to go by.  So I have ordered 3 books on the subject that are considered Top Tier.     All three books deal with the ICBM side of things and one is specifically on Minuteman and many comments state it includes Space launch data....

So until I get the books (this weekend and early next week)  My writing is going to be curtailed on the first article... and since the first article (Minotaur I) really drives the latter narrative on the Taurus/Minotaur C and Minotaur III+   I do really need this info...

Hopeful that these sources will have all the data I need to do right by my last KSP-I Article series

On 2/15/2023 at 7:04 PM, GoldForest said:

an accounting firm I think Squad was? 

Squad is an advertising agency I think. KSP was literally just a pet project of one of the employees there and it just became a thing. Advertising still makes up the bulk of their work IIRC.

3 hours ago, aConcernedKerbal said:

This mod seems great but unfortunately, it has gone un-updated along with its dependencies, although I hope you and the creators of the dependencies keep going strong at mod creation along with the updating of existing mods.

You realize they just announced the last update for this mod? Also they’ve been updating this regularly on the Github branch.

5 hours ago, aConcernedKerbal said:

This mod seems great but unfortunately, it has gone un-updated along with its dependencies, although I hope you and the creators of the dependencies keep going strong at mod creation along with the updating of existing mods.

Un-updated? You're kidding right? It's updated all the time. 

As for the dependencies, it is up to you to find the latest ones. The devs update them when they get a chance, but ultimately it is up to you to update them to the latest versions on your own.

5 hours ago, aConcernedKerbal said:

It seems like echoes of Soviet dimension-travel device started to leak out and affected this thread. I guess somewhere in the multiverse there is a variation of BDB which was abandoned.

Just try using CKAN. It will grab all the dependencies you need. The devs care about its metadata.

Whenever I use the Retro motors on the Gemini or Mercury spacecraft, if I have sequential fire enabled, the capsule ends up spinning, even though I have RCS and SAS enabled. How do I prevent this?

Edited by Kerb24

3 hours ago, Kerb24 said:

Whenever I use the Retro motors on the Gemini or Mercury spacecraft, if I have sequential fire enabled, the capsule ends up spinning, even though I have RCS and SAS enabled. How do I prevent this?

That is odd, I'm no expert but usually it just dips the capsule but the SAS should be able to compensate. Is your SAS set to "pilot only" by any chance?Are there parts on the side that are affecting your CoM? Is the overlap set to 20% as standard or a custom amount? Are you manually activating the RCS on the RCS parts (the little bit just above both capsules that have re-entry RCS thrusters)? Only other thing I can think of is if you have something that's affecting your solid boosters' thrust, making the retros more powerful than they should be; but like I said I'm no expert.

Edited by Queen Ultima

On 2/17/2023 at 1:19 AM, GoldForest said:

M9bdQrH.png

(10/9/15)

ZtwUjQC.png

(2/17/23)

It's been a great run for BDB. Here's hoping BDB 2 sees just as long and just as great of success! 

The top image is not mine. The bottom one is. I wanted to do a comparison shot. 

Ahhh... The days when it was just an Atlas V and Explorer, then Atlas and Titan, then we begged for a Saturn I since FASA wasn't up to scratch and now...

Man, it's come so far.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:19 AM, GoldForest said:

M9bdQrH.png

(10/9/15)

ZtwUjQC.png

(2/17/23)

It's been a great run for BDB. Here's hoping BDB 2 sees just as long and just as great of success! 

The top image is not mine. The bottom one is. I wanted to do a comparison shot. 

There is no question there.  I think we all are just waiting for ksp2 to put the modding info out.  Given the slightly raw state of some of the stuff seen, I can understand them wanting to resolve a few mechanics before they let people mod....but man, I wish we could get BDB2 staring EA day1.

Ok, I want to preface this by saying that I'm reasonably new to modern KSP and picked it up to ease myself into the system in preparation for KSP 2. Previously, I had played on like 1.9 or something so please excuse me if this sort of info is in an obvious place.

I have cobbled together a Voyager Mars mission (at least I think) and was looking into how to launch this thing when I found an article that said the probe was meant to be double launched on a Saturn V and the unofficial Wiki corroborates this, as well as the parts in-game (the Dual Payload Truss and Dual Payload Fairing pieces). My question is, the info I found has nothing on what it was meant to be launched  alongside! Is it supposed to be 2 full stacks (orbiter and lander) of the same block? One Block 1 and one Upgrade? I couldn't find any info anywhere, which is really driving me up the wall lol. Does anyone know or have any info/docs on the proposal?

Thanks in advance!

https://imgur.com/a/JzaDbZV

Edited by Hydragaming
Clearing up wording

10 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

There is no question there.  I think we all are just waiting for ksp2 to put the modding info out.  Given the slightly raw state of some of the stuff seen, I can understand them wanting to resolve a few mechanics before they let people mod....but man, I wish we could get BDB2 staring EA day1.

I'll stick with KSP1 for now. 

I've got a 3070, and given that some systems lag on 3080s, yeah, it'll be 2-3 years before we get into the swing of things properly. 

1 hour ago, Saturn1234 said:

Hello, I downloaded BDB and wanted to ask how you manage not to get lost in such a huge amount of parts. I've unlocked Basic Rocketry and I'm already lost in it. Also, do you only use parts for real designs or do you make your own as well?

BDB has its own part category but Filter Extensions helps too.  You can also use Janitor's Closet if you need more aggressive part filtering.

The Unofficial Wiki can help get your head around where all the parts go on historical rockets but BDB is built with "legoability" in mind, so making weird and wacky creations is strongly encouraged.  Extra points if you can come up with something that NASA didn't already think of!

Edited by Friznit

On 2/15/2023 at 11:57 AM, GoldForest said:

Right. I knew it wasn't Antares after looking at it, but I couldn't figure it out. Then I remembered the rocket has those yellow thermal blankets and googled that. Found it right after you posted. :D

Yeah, I knew I was wrong after staring at it for a moment. Couldn't place it. 

Can we get yellow blankets as toggle? Got to keep Minotaur warm. :P

04c320bc06677283110e6db324e761cf.jpg

I am pretty sure it was Scott Manley said in one of his videos that it is nicknamed the "Banana Peel." If that is so maybe I am the first to possibly say "There's always money in the launch pad." Or what ever cheesy aerospace related spinoff reference to Arrested Development I can find. :P:cool:

Edited by Jeb1969