[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

55 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

Here's the attached log:

Sorry, not related to your question, but:

Spoiler

You have ALL the parts :)

I noticed you do not have Shaddy. If that's on purpose, ignore me. But BDB has support for the better chute shaders if you have Shaddy along with Shabby (which you already do).

Also, since you have Gemstone and the HTV, I thought I'd mention this in case you don't already know about it ... it pairs really well with BDB- quality parts:

Hope you get your B9 error fixed - I can't repro that. And here I am recommending more mods ... oops

9 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Sorry, not related to your question, but:

Hide contents

You have ALL the parts :)

I noticed you do not have Shaddy. If that's on purpose, ignore me. But BDB has support for the better chute shaders if you have Shaddy along with Shabby (which you already do).

Also, since you have Gemstone and the HTV, I thought I'd mention this in case you don't already know about it ... it pairs really well with BDB- quality parts:

Hope you get your B9 error fixed - I can't repro that. And here I am recommending more mods ... oops

Huh, thought I had gotten Shaddy too, guess I missed it. Thanks for pointing it out. As for the H-series rockets, I had actually seen it and was waiting for the H3. Just saw that he released it 8 hours ago. :D

Thanks

Edited by Spike88

7 hours ago, Spike88 said:

Yd0U4fg.png

I'm getting the following warning, would anyone know what's causing it? Tried googling and couldn't find anything.

Here's the attached log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4723deyff8s741/bdbsas.log?dl=0

Hey, I literally just installed only the Apollo folder of Bluedog (need the RCS for a project) and got the same error; so it seems that the culprit is likely in that. I'd wager it's one of the two Kane Command Pods (with the Avionics set to uncrewed) but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything so you should be able to ignore it. 

@Spike88 and @Queen Ultima, that could happen if either the upgrades.cfg and/or the Shared folder are not present in the Parts folder, causing that upgrade to not exist. The Apollo capsules have an option to enable probe control, unlocked via that upgrade, so unless you want to use the probe option, and the parts still loads, there should be no issue.

I could also make it an optional patch in BDB Extras, like the Gemini and Mercury pods if it causes issues.

Edited by Rodger

14 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

Trust me that is not nearly enough. Your swap file is so overwhelmed. That easily causes lag especially if it is placed on HDD.

KSP + heavy mods = MOAR RAM needed.

@CobaltWolf

I had floated the question a while back of a new section of the Apollo SM with a blow off panel and interior done to look like Apollow 13.  Is there any chance of this?

6 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

KSP + heavy mods = MOAR RAM needed.

@CobaltWolf

I had floated the question a while back of a new section of the Apollo SM with a blow off panel and interior done to look like Apollow 13.  Is there any chance of this?

Unlikely.

17 hours ago, Rodger said:

@Spike88 and @Queen Ultima, that could happen if either the upgrades.cfg and/or the Shared folder are not present in the Parts folder, causing that upgrade to not exist. The Apollo capsules have an option to enable probe control, unlocked via that upgrade, so unless you want to use the probe option, and the parts still loads, there should be no issue.

I could also make it an optional patch in BDB Extras, like the Gemini and Mercury pods if it causes issues.

Just checked and both are present in the parts folder and I'm still getting the error. Also tried re-installing from the latest github release as my previous version was installed form CKAN with Skyhawk Science System, which I also manually installed removing the one from CKAN.

@Queen Ultima: Do you have Skyhawk Science Systems installed by chance? Wondering if that's the actual culprit.

Edited by Spike88

1 hour ago, Spike88 said:

Just checked and both are present in the parts folder and I'm still getting the error. Also tried re-installing from the latest github release as my previous version was installed form CKAN with Skyhawk Science System, which I also manually installed removing the one from CKAN.

@Queen Ultima: Do you have Skyhawk Science Systems installed by chance? Wondering if that's the actual culprit.

I have the same issue and yes I have Skyhawk

So SSS does patch that part's required upgrade:

https://github.com/CessnaSkyhawk/SkyhawkScienceSystem/blob/main/ModSupport/Bluedog_DB/Apollo_CrewPod.cfg

But from looking at that patch I don't see how it wouldn't work. Perhaps patch order? I'd say it's likely fine to ignore at least, and I'd be interested if you can actually unlock the probe core functionality with SSS installed in-game.

14 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Kinda pointless too. Use it on a single mission that will never be used in any other context.

You're better off just simulating it by shutting down the SPS. 

Cosmetics.... and it isn't like that hasn't happened with the Skylab metior shield.  But, I knew it would be a Longshot to get...

Edited by RocketBoy1641

3 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Cosmetics.... and it isn't like that hasn't happened with the Skylar metior shield.  But, I knew it would be a Longshot to get...

Skylab is a somewhat different situation, it was modeled from the very start to have that feature and the gold MLI under the shield was the only way it was ever seen in space.

Edited by Zorg

42 minutes ago, msp307 said:

RCS-Problem.jpg%22%20

Hi I have problems with the RCS's. With many parts, the RCS thrust is reduced by half.

this is only for parts of BDB. is it because of RO?

thanks in advance

If a part is properly configured to work with RO, then that is the reason for the change. Do you know how to use Realism Overhaul properly, or is this your first time using it? If the latter (which I assume due to your confusion at a part configured for RO), then I'd honestly recommend you create a new clean install of KSP and install RP-1 (career mode for Realism Overhaul) using the express installation method on CKAN. I'd also recommend reading the Github wiki for Realism Overhaul and RP-1. Doing that, and playing through a RP-1 career, will teach you how to actually use everything in RO, and to understand the game mechanics of the modpack. I don't know if all of these BDB RO configs work for RP-1 (which requires more complex configuring), but ROCapsules (the mod that provides crewed spacecraft for RP-1) uses BDB models for most spacecraft that BDB represents (with the main exception currently being the extended lunar infrastructure, though hopefully that is being worked on), and it's not hard to make reasonably-good looking replicas of the rockets.

40 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

If a part is properly configured to work with RO, then that is the reason for the change. Do you know how to use Realism Overhaul properly, or is this your first time using it? If the latter (which I assume due to your confusion at a part configured for RO), then I'd honestly recommend you create a new clean install of KSP and install RP-1 (career mode for Realism Overhaul) using the express installation method on CKAN. I'd also recommend reading the Github wiki for Realism Overhaul and RP-1. Doing that, and playing through a RP-1 career, will teach you how to actually use everything in RO, and to understand the game mechanics of the modpack. I don't know if all of these BDB RO configs work for RP-1 (which requires more complex configuring), but ROCapsules (the mod that provides crewed spacecraft for RP-1) uses BDB models for most spacecraft that BDB represents (with the main exception currently being the extended lunar infrastructure, though hopefully that is being worked on), and it's not hard to make reasonably-good looking replicas of the rockets.

Thanks for the answer.
1. Is my question answered. would it be possible to find out which RO file is causing my problem?

2. I primarily get my knowledge through "try and error". figure out some problems myself. I only have to ask every now and then, as in the case here.

1 hour ago, msp307 said:

Thanks for the answer.
1. Is my question answered. would it be possible to find out which RO file is causing my problem?

2. I primarily get my knowledge through "try and error". figure out some problems myself. I only have to ask every now and then, as in the case here.

If the part is properly configured for RO, then there is no "problem". RCS in Realism Overhaul is weaker than in stock (and stock-balanced) KSP by design, because RCS in real life is weaker. Reaction wheels are also weaker, and this is also by design. The result of this is that you cannot brute-force vehicle movements. Try using a small amount of thrust for a short duration to initiate a rotation or translation maneuver, and a similarly small amount of thrust for a short duration to halt that motion once your vehicle is where you want it to be. Be patient with your spacecraft; if you try to hold down the movement key for half of the duration of any movement, and then hold down the reverse movement key for the other half of the duration to slow down, what you will do is waste all of your RCS fuel - or, alternatively, throw away so much of your mass budget on RCS fuel that you can't carry enough payload for a mission.

I will not provide you with the information of how to configure Realism Overhaul so that it no longer works like Realism Overhaul; that modpack is extremely carefully tuned, balanced, and maintained, and small changes can break things extremely badly. If you don't want to be patient enough to play RO the way RO is supposed to be played, I would recommend Skyhawk Science System (which is configured for BDB) with the KSRSS Reborn planet pack.

If you are willing to be patient enough to learn how to play Realism Overhaul as Realism Overhaul, you need to learn at least the core differences. Realism Overhaul is not like stock (or stock-balanced) KSP. At minimum, read this guide on the RO wiki: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/False-KSP-Lessons

Also, if you want to play any kind of career game with Realism Overhaul at all, then you really do need to install RP-1 with the CKAN express install from a clean KSP install. If you don't do that, things will break. Realism Overhaul does not work properly in career mode without RP-1. You can safely ignore RP-1 if you only care about playing in sandbox mode. If you want to play in science mode, you should probably find another modpack (again, I recommend Skyhawk Science System), because there is no properly-configured science mode for Realism Overhaul.

I understand the desire to learn by trial and error. That is not, however, an approach that works for Realism Overhaul. If you do not read the documentation, the best thing you can possibly hope for is that your spacecraft will fail because you do not understand them.

Edited by septemberWaves

2 hours ago, msp307 said:

1 hour ago, septemberWaves said:

If the part is properly configured for RO, then there is no "problem". 

If I understand @msp307's question, they were asking why the in-game thrust is half of what's in the config (which seems to be for RO, judging by the fuel types)

1 hour ago, septemberWaves said:

If the part is properly configured for RO, then there is no "problem". RCS in Realism Overhaul is weaker than in stock (and stock-balanced) KSP by design, because RCS in real life is weaker. Reaction wheels are also weaker, and this is also by design. The result of this is that you cannot brute-force vehicle movements. Try using a small amount of thrust for a short duration to initiate a rotation or translation maneuver, and a similarly small amount of thrust for a short duration to halt that motion once your vehicle is where you want it to be. Be patient with your spacecraft; if you try to hold down the movement key for half of the duration of any movement, and then hold down the reverse movement key for the other half of the duration to slow down, what you will do is waste all of your RCS fuel - or, alternatively, throw away so much of your mass budget on RCS fuel that you can't carry enough payload for a mission.

I will not provide you with the information of how to configure Realism Overhaul so that it no longer works like Realism Overhaul; that modpack is extremely carefully tuned, balanced, and maintained, and small changes can break things extremely badly. If you don't want to be patient enough to play RO the way RO is supposed to be played, I would recommend Skyhawk Science System (which is configured for BDB) with the KSRSS Reborn planet pack.

If you are willing to be patient enough to learn how to play Realism Overhaul as Realism Overhaul, you need to learn at least the core differences. Realism Overhaul is not like stock (or stock-balanced) KSP. At minimum, read this guide on the RO wiki: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/False-KSP-Lessons

Also, if you want to play any kind of career game with Realism Overhaul at all, then you really do need to install RP-1 with the CKAN express install from a clean KSP install. If you don't do that, things will break. Realism Overhaul does not work properly in career mode without RP-1. You can safely ignore RP-1 if you only care about playing in sandbox mode. If you want to play in science mode, you should probably find another modpack (again, I recommend Skyhawk Science System), because there is no properly-configured science mode for Realism Overhaul.

I understand the desire to learn by trial and error. That is not, however, an approach that works for Realism Overhaul. If you do not read the documentation, the best thing you can possibly hope for is that your spacecraft will fail because you do not understand them.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

If I understand @msp307's question, they were asking why the in-game thrust is half of what's in the config (which seems to be for RO, judging by the fuel types)

yes, that's what I meant

Just now, msp307 said:

yes, that's what I meant

I apologize for the misunderstanding, I misinterpreted. In that case, I have no idea. I've not seen any issue like that before. Have you tested the craft? If it performs as it should, then you're probably fine.