[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

23 hours ago, Rodger said:

Thanks, looks like the SSS patch isn't getting applied. And after checking, it seems like the last release of SSS doesn't actually have the required patch. If you download this (just save link as): https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CessnaSkyhawk/SkyhawkScienceSystem/main/ModSupport/Bluedog_DB/Apollo_CrewPod.cfg and place it in your GameData/SkyhawkScienceSystem/ModSupport/Bluedog_DB folder, that should fix it for now, until there's a new release of SSS.

Same goes for @Royalswissarmyknife

I can confirm this fixed the issue.

Next Question:

The BDB settings have a boiloff control, which is set to default 50%. BDB also has started using system heat for boil off control, which the system heat default is 100%. Do I need to touch either of these sliders?

9 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Okay, there's something

fig3-17.jpg

Seems that early II (and presumably I) had a flared skirt, but it was changed to a shorter, straight one at some point. Not sure what "Wing II" means - most likely it's analogous to "block", and most certainly not a "missile wing".

Actually only the Test and Evaluation Minutemen had a Flared Skirt

All Operational Minuteman Missiles were straight skirted.  The Flared skirt was apparently for On pad protection of the Quad Engine bells (from the elements)  

The Transporter Erector carried the Minuteman missile inside a Coccoon, And since it was used for both Test and Evaluation launches as well as Service(Operational) rounds, the Cocoon was designed to accommodate the flared skirting.

Sources:   A Technical History of America's Nuclear Weapons (I and II)
Minuteman: A Technical history....

In Short:  Flared skirt means the Minuteman was meant to ONLY launch from a PAD and not a Silo. 

Straight Skirt is for Either.

@GoldForest@CobaltWolf

Edited by Pappystein

So what is the Difference between Minotaur I's M55A1 Engine and the original first stage used on the Minuteman IA (the M55)?

Well performance wise (thrust and ISP)  They are essentially the same.    It is in the reliability of the Gimbal hardware that they differed,  the M55 typically melted the 4 gimbal nozzles which caused the motor to fail around the 55 second mark in flight (variable).   The M55A1 was strengthened to survive the full 70 second burn time (actually a little less than that)   This results in almost a 2000km range improvement (when used in conjunction with either the M56A1 or the SR-19 2nd stage.)

FWIW the USAF did not like the M56A1 (it was still not 100% reliable) and Aerojet made the all new SR-19 to replace the M56A1 on the Minuteman II.  

The Minotaur II utilizes the M55A1, the SR-19, and the current version of the M57.   All Minotaur II launches are in conjunction with military weapon tests or warhead tests for future ICBMs.

9 hours ago, Spike88 said:

Next Question:

The BDB settings have a boiloff control, which is set to default 50%. BDB also has started using system heat for boil off control, which the system heat default is 100%. Do I need to touch either of these sliders?

If you have System Heat installed, the bdb boiloff mechanic should be disabled automatically.

14 hours ago, Pappystein said:

In Short:  Flared skirt means the Minuteman was meant to ONLY launch from a PAD and not a Silo. 

Straight Skirt is for Either.

Thanks for clarification! So my first assumption of skirts being related to launch base was at least partially correct :)

@CobaltWolf Any chance for the rest of Minuteman? I mean: 3rd stage SRM, PSRE, guidance section, warhead base (to use as payload adapter), and most importantly, the one-piece shroud which was jettisoned LES-style.

Edited by biohazard15

21 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

@CobaltWolf Any chance for the rest of Minuteman? I mean: 3rd stage SRM, PSRE, guidance section, warhead base (to use as payload adapter), and most importantly, the one-piece shroud which was jettisoned LES-style.

Would you believe...

kMzEy1I.png

hMxJLFX.png

44 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Thanks for clarification! So my first assumption of skirts being related to launch base was at least partially correct :)

That would be Minotaur II! :D

You know I still have not found any 1st tier sources on Minotaur I... which is vexing.   (that is aside from the historically useless payload planer guides)

But I have learned a darn lot about Minuteman... stuff I never intended to learn :D

Like one thing I learned.  The reason that Northrop Grumman can offer the Minotaur VI with the stacked SR-118s?    Because under START only a certain percentage of ALL UP rockets can be utilized to launch payloads into space on governmental contracts.   However individual stages can be used in conjunction with other all up units (thus stacking SR-118s is OK).

The warhead bus, nor the Ballistic missile Guidance Unit can be used for Satellite launches.   But CAN be used for weapon tests (be they warhead related or Intercept related.)

And it is START that apparently prohibits the use of made for Military ICBMs as civilian launchers. (I have not verified this by trying to read the START treaty, Just repeating info from several sources including NASASpaceFlight etc)

37 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Would you believe...

YAY YAY YAY PSRE! I love these all-in-one packages - they are ideal for contract sats. (Still dreaming of BDB IABS, but that's for BDB2, I guess)

Now, that would be stretching, but... M57 (I and II 3rd stage) and corresponding guidance section? Pretty please?

5 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

Is it possible to build Redstone 1? I'm looking at the wiki but not sure if I'm missing something.

Are you talking about Mercury Redstone or the missile? Because BDB should come with a craft file of the Mercury Redstone. The missile might be a different story, though I'm sure you can make something using the fairings.

1 hour ago, Blufor878 said:

Are you talking about Mercury Redstone or the missile? Because BDB should come with a craft file of the Mercury Redstone. The missile might be a different story, though I'm sure you can make something using the fairings.

The missile, I’m currently playing through the historical contract pack and there’s a contract for it. I’m not sure if I’ve unlocked the fairings yet, but I’ll have to double check. 

5 hours ago, Friznit said:

You can build Jupiter A, which is pretty much the same thing.  You can even make it green.

I’ll have to check on my Sandbox save, maybe I haven’t unlocked the right parts in my career save.

2 hours ago, verniervonkerman said:

Could you add a cold launch system to Peacekeeper? Didn't Peacekeeper use a Cold Launch system like the RO Dnepr?

Any guidance system will need time for the gyroscopes to spin up.  But, as for speed of launch, The MX aka Peacekeeper didn't need any pre-launch prep of propellant.  All solids have that advantage.

As for getting it out of a sub tube...

It is a gas driven launch to the surface where the solid kicks in.

Edited by RocketBoy1641

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Redstone 1 is really throwing me here. There was only one Redstone, or at least, none were numbered.

My apologies, thought the contract was called Redstone 1 because of Vanguard 1, Blossom 1, Explorer 1, etc. Just realized its just PGM-11 Redstone :blush:

I'm uploading Vulcan builds to KerbalX. If memory serves, the craft files that come with the old Hephaistos mod don't seem to work. Also that thread hasn't been touched, and since it does make use of BDB parts (if you have it), I thought I'd put it here. I have two variants so far.
Vulcan 564
52744630262_b74978f208_o.png
52745148796_2d44dbd744_o.png
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Vulcan-564
and Vulcan-Centaur 401
52744693627_e0916a4d11_o.png
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Vulcan-401

This is part of a project I'm slowly getting around to for making craft files for mods that either don't have them or the files no longer work.

On 3/12/2023 at 7:40 PM, Spike88 said:

My apologies, thought the contract was called Redstone 1 because of Vanguard 1, Blossom 1, Explorer 1, etc. Just realized its just PGM-11 Redstone :blush:

May I present the Chrysler PGM-11 Redstone Short Range Ballistic Missile:

Spoiler

i5BPtFc.jpg

5uh3gO7.jpg

7mtQPGs.jpg

zPzbA75.jpg

GxMmApg.jpg

5T1uAcX.jpg

nAx6O9U.jpg

It flies well! The reentry vehicle detonated at 39 kilometers. A bit high for operational purposes, but good enough for a demo mission.