[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 3/12/2023 at 9:30 AM, Cheesecake said:

Does anyone have a current experiment config for Kerbalism?

Last I heard, all Kerbalism cfgs were maintained on their end.

On 3/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, verniervonkerman said:

Could you add a cold launch system to Peacekeeper? Didn't Peacekeeper use a Cold Launch system like the RO Dnepr?

No plans; I'm actually not intending on touching the Peacekeeper parts in this update.

11 hours ago, kspbiuitscursed said:

@CobaltWolf i was wodering if for BDB 2 for ksp 2 ypu could add parts for some modern mars missions if that is okay so i can use it thanks if you reply 

We will have to see, I think that kind of stuff is mostly @Invaderchaos's department. There's also a chance that we'll see other modders take up the task of making modern probes, which I'd be happy to see. Personally I'm much more interested in the Saturn/Apollo era stuff.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add, here's an update on the Minuteman III GCU. It's all modeled and UV'd and I just started texturing it last night when I ran out of steam.

spmTkLd.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

I built the Titan LDC and made it available for download!
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Titan-LDC
52748652451_5e13b6f3fa_o.png
52748652561_44abcbb980_o.png
I'm also going to use this as an opportunity to announce my new thread devoted to these craft files.

The idea is for people to be able to play around with these rockets before using the parts for their imaginations and presumable visual sadism. There are a lot of great parts mods (present company absolutely included) but not all of them come with pre-built craft files to play around with. So that's where stuff like this comes in.

2 hours ago, SmokeFan said:

Hi where do I put the crafted file to load in game?

Here's an idea I use myself. Create a new saved game called Sample Craft, of any game mode - doesn't matter. Then quit that save and go to your regular saves. Now you'll have the path [KSP]\saves\Sample Craft\Ships\VAB.  In there you can make subfolders for any part mods you have, so e.g. a BDB folder with all the BDB craft files in there, an ACK folder if you use that, etc. In modern KSP versions, when you open a craft, you can select any game, and any subfolder within that game. This lets you have all the sample craft available all the time, but without clogging your normal save folders.

On 3/14/2023 at 2:40 PM, Ultim32 said:

@CobaltWolf, Are there any other parts in BDB that fit well with the SII Skylab without using tweakscale?

This could be an interesting area to flesh out some.  But... my question is where are paper designs that they would be based off of.  That is one area that I have never taken a dive into as the thing is just so freaking big.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:40 AM, Ultim32 said:

@CobaltWolf, Are there any other parts in BDB that fit well with the SII Skylab without using tweakscale?

9 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

This could be an interesting area to flesh out some.  But... my question is where are paper designs that they would be based off of.  That is one area that I have never taken a dive into as the thing is just so freaking big.

The SII wet workshop was based off a sketch by von Braun, its not really part of a larger system.

I made the part in game loosely based on the design but not as an exact recreation. The original plan called for basically an Apollo spacecraft on top, an empty S4B shaped shell/fairing below that and the SII wet workshop under that. The main equipment module core is stored inside the shell for serviceability during pre-launch and then is slid into the SII hydrogen tank after reaching orbit and the shell is discarded. There wasn't a specific plan for the massive empty space in the SII surrounding the core itself but the idea was that you have all those platforms you would eventually fit out later.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Dr._von_Braun's_Sketch_of_the_Space_Station_8883912_original.jpg

Though there is no notion of expanding the station here, the logical way to do so would be to dock smaller modules to it. The extended docking adapter for the power tower might be a good option to build out a modular section in front of the SII wet workshop.

Just get creative really :). because as far as I know there aren't any real world concept for expanding this. They barely knew how to make use of the existing space much less have the need for more modules.

Edited by Zorg

19 hours ago, Zorg said:

The SII wet workshop was based off a sketch by von Braun, its not really part of a larger system.

I made the part in game loosely based on the design but not as an exact recreation. The original plan called for basically an Apollo spacecraft on top, an empty S4B shaped shell/fairing below that and the SII wet workshop under that. The main equipment module core is stored inside the shell for serviceability during pre-launch and then is slid into the SII hydrogen tank after reaching orbit and the shell is discarded. There wasn't a specific plan for the massive empty space in the SII surrounding the core itself but the idea was that you have all those platforms you would eventually fit out later.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Dr._von_Braun's_Sketch_of_the_Space_Station_8883912_original.jpg

Though there is no notion of expanding the station here, the logical way to do so would be to dock smaller modules to it. The extended docking adapter for the power tower might be a good option to build out a modular section in front of the SII wet workshop.

Just get creative really :). because as far as I know there aren't any real world concept for expanding this. They barely knew how to make use of the existing space much less have the need for more modules.

Ya, that was a drawing that I had seen over the years many places.  But, wishful thinking was that maybe there was a little more refinement when all the stuff was being covered on EOSS rollout.

4 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Ya, that was a drawing that I had seen over the years many places.  But, wishful thinking was that maybe there was a little more refinement when all the stuff was being covered on EOSS rollout.

Keep in mind SII for that one tethered EOSS concept was just an unoccupied counterweight for a spun up s4b station. 

On 3/16/2023 at 5:48 AM, Zorg said:

Keep in mind, The 10ft Pressure vessel is oh I don't know.. MOL sized so Titan Diameter :D
@Ultim32

AKA 1.875m in KSP

3 hours ago, Saturn1234 said:

Hi, I saw that BDB should work with Deadly Reentry. Will it really work like before? For example, will I be able to return the Apollo spacecraft from the moon, or will I have to modify the design somehow?

I'm not really familiar with how Deadly Reentry works, I don't think any of the other authors use it either. Does it require compatibility patches? If so does DR itself have patches for BDB? Because we dont have our own patches. Only way to find out might be to try it out.

As always we welcome community contributions for compatibility patches, the authors are only able to support a few mods ourselves so we depend on our users to submit other patches.

Edited by Zorg

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

I'm not really familiar with how Deadly Reentry works, I don't think any of the other authors use it either. Does it require compatibility patches? If so does DR itself have patches for BDB? Because we dont have our own patches. Only way to find out might be to try it out.

As always we welcome community contributions for compatibility patches, the authors are only able to support a few mods ourselves so we depend on our users to submit other patches.

Pretty simple.... it reenters right....or it is deadly.  Ya, no idea under the hood.  But, pretty sure they turn the gain up on the physics to the point that it isn't all but automatic success.

I'm trying to launch the Vanguard 1 rocket for the History of Spaceflight contract. The contract needs me to launch the satellite to an orbit of 935km x 155km with an inclination between 31 and 37. However I'm struggling to get my rocket to these perimeters. Anyone have any advice? I'm using a 2.5x scale system and I have mechjeb to try and help with the launch.