[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 4/17/2023 at 3:03 PM, Zorg said:

Keep an eye on the thread and also the issues list on github. Most major new projects will get a dedicated "New parts" tagged tracking issue https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues

Many thanks! Do you have any plans for a Mars/Duna Excursion Module? I'm struggling to cobble one together myself.

4 hours ago, BritishRailBlue said:

Many thanks! Do you have any plans for a Mars/Duna Excursion Module? I'm struggling to cobble one together myself.

Thats a possibility for KSP2 eventually but no plans right now.

On 4/19/2023 at 3:27 PM, Zorg said:

no such plans for a switch on the ERM sorry.

Please? It would be such a minor addition and it would allow for much more legoability with the part. At the moment you can only really attach a docking port at either end of it.

The RS-X engine has captured my interest of all the proposed BDB parts (especially as something suggested to follow Voyager Mars, though timelines are obviously flexible on a voluntarily-made mod). I'm all for engines for the sake of engines but wondering how it would stand out from the roughly-equivalent E-1. Appreciably smaller size? Much lower mass to represent modern materials?

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Please? It would be such a minor addition and it would allow for much more legoability with the part. At the moment you can only really attach a docking port at either end of it.

Its a lot more work than you think, would need some very tedious work with collider variants and would conflict with the new IVAs. Those  issues are solvable albeit would require more work than I'm motivated to do right now but putting that aside cutting it down to bottom of the black base would 100% interfere with the new IVAs that were made recently.

Sorry about the relative quiet here everyone, IRL has been pretty crazy. My car finally got written off after being rear ended two weeks ago, among other things.

Here's some more work on the M55 solid - a toggleable skirt, and a dedicated matching nose cone. Will hopefully have them in game some time this weekend.

6ChKLH0.png

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sorry about the relative quiet here everyone, IRL has been pretty crazy. My car finally got written off after being rear ended two weeks ago, among other things.

Here's some more work on the M55 solid - a toggleable skirt, and a dedicated matching nose cone. Will hopefully have them in game some time this weekend.

6ChKLH0.png

Saturn II INT-19 Noises!

I'm having an issue where, for some reason, the truss segments for Mariner 2 and Mariner B are not loading in correctly for Career mode. They appear correctly inside of Sandbox, but in Career those specific parts are not inside the tech tree no matter what node they are assigned to. I am even able to save a Mariner 2 craft in a Sandbox game, load the craft in Career, and the part itself shows up perfectly fine. However I cannot launch the craft as it will say the part is unavailable.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6l32h8qpvhi3251/Player.log?dl=0

On 4/19/2023 at 7:28 PM, Jim123 said:

Hope no one here minds me self promoting if so feel free to take down my post, but anyhow I performed a mission in JNSQ using for the most part Saturn and Apollo-related parts from Bluedog sort of inspired by the Voyage to Mars by Stephen Baxter, but not completely. Hope it is an enjoyable and entertaining video to watch! :) 

Somewhere I hear Von Braun saying 'Thank you'.  He dreamed of such; but there wasn't a government with the will to see it happen in his lifetime.

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

6ChKLH0.png

IRL takes precedence.  Hope you get to feeling better and through the new vehicle headaches.  We will be patient.

3 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Somewhere I hear Von Braun saying 'Thank you'.  He dreamed of such; but there wasn't a government with the will to see it happen in his lifetime.

IRL takes precedence.  Hope you get to feeling better and through the new vehicle headaches.  We will be patient.

Ya wish the same had happened also, I did use his Mars 1969 plan to get the dates roughly correct for Earth-Mars Transfer windows for the subtitles in it since I used JNSQ. Saturn was too short-lived of a vehicle in my opinion.

Minuteman-> Minotaur the continuing saga of my procrastination and in-ability to find reliable GOOD sources...

I have a rough draft done...    It has been gone over 15 times now... (about once a day)     

But to say that it is hard to read might be an understatement...   The DARPA backed OSP 1 and 2 are rife with dead-ends, overlaps and out and out confusion.   Fact of the matter is OSP 1 and OSP 2 were / are concurrent programs that also overlap with the Civilian Minotaur C lead to a lot of fun.

I am still processing the 3 books I purchased on Minuteman ICBMs.         However,I have to correct myself based on this continual re-reading.

I had previously stated that the Skirt on the M55 was part of the Test rockets, and that was correct.    BUT I was wrong as it was also utilized on the Minuteman IA (LGM-30A)   You know, the one that kept failing to reach designed range because the nozzle failures?    The skirt was removed from operational Minuteman IB and latter rockets as part of a lack of need.   The Gimbals pivot angle was reduced on the M55 which removed the need for a skirt to protect the outside of the SRM bells.       Minuteman IB and latter test launches DID NOT have the said skirts.    So a lot of "test launches" were using up Minuteman IA missiles.

Trying to rescale some parts for RO, and I was wondering if anyone had the exact heights of some of the parts. I tried going into the .cfg files for some of the parts to get their exact heights based off their nodes, but I realized they are offset for interstages and such. Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions of these parts?

Also, to the devs, I'm curious about the design philosophy when it comes to scaling for the Saturn parts. I know you guys usually multiply the IRL diameter of the rocket/spacecraft by 0.625, and then round it to the nearest KSP size (sometimes creating new sizes), but the Saturn seems different. I get why the S-IC diameter stages are 6.25m but the S-IVB sized stages would be around 4.125m if scaled the same way. Does it have to do with the size of Apollo? Also, is the height of BDB parts scaled the same way as diameter, or is it calculated differently?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

11 hours ago, Jim123 said:

Ya wish the same had happened also, I did use his Mars 1969 plan to get the dates roughly correct for Earth-Mars Transfer windows for the subtitles in it since I used JNSQ. Saturn was too short-lived of a vehicle in my opinion.

Both 1 variants/paper concepts and 5 were far too short lived.

3 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Seasat Agena teaser..

Capture.png

Capture.PNG

think im getting the hang of using fabric sims for foil baking!

As many images in BDB, there should be a "RocketGeek-13" rating on these.  Looking forward to playing with these.

3 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Seasat Agena teaser..

Capture.png

Capture.PNG

think im getting the hang of using fabric sims for foil baking!

That looks really good! Would it be possible to have a version where the foil covers the entire Agena and not just one half?

13 hours ago, CDSlice said:

That looks really good! Would it be possible to have a version where the foil covers the entire Agena and not just one half?

Don’t rly have the UV space for that, also not sure how good a solely foil cylinder would look tbh

Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous (NEAR) - Shoemaker (KSRSS 2.5x)

ybPDLtL.png

NEAR, a mission to orbit and explore near-Earth asteroid 433 Eros, was launched at 17 February 1996 from Cape Canaveral LC-17B, using Delta II 7925 rocket. Later it was renamed NEAR Shoemaker, to honor late Eugene Shoemaker, a renowned planetary geologist who (among the other things) was part of the team that discovered Shoemaker-Levy 9, the comet that famously crashed into Jupiter in 1994.

qiKroHN.png

Liftoff.

gHMbMGS.jpg

ngA4KDf.png

Jettisoning ground-lit GEM-40s. Also, updated Earth! (KSC is still somewhere near Orlando, though)

ONCPYsi.png

Jettisoning air-lit GEM-40s.

JYsfClj.png

Fr65PzL.png

Almost achieved parking orbit (No pics of actual parking orbit, sorry)

X1UjQeE.png

Starting the transfer burn.

RQNcPmi.png

Jettisoning Delta-K and firing PAM-D (sorry for the darkness)

alGE5R7.png

Jettisoning spent PAM-D.

BsChvFa.png

o5ROVie.png

The NEAR Shoemaker replica in all its glory. Made as faithful to original as possible, from various mod parts, the contributors are BDB (Mariner engine, RCS, scientific instruments, antenna dish), Near Future (probe body and solar panels), Tantares (hidden Beale monoprop tanks (8 in total, 4 in each NFEx bus), magnetometer boom). There's also eight Z-25 batteries (4 in each NFEx bus) and two SP-S06 structural panels. Can't remember where you can find these two - Restock, maybe?

NOTE

Due to technical and time constraints, I've cheated it to Eros. I DO believe it's possible to fly it "honestly", though - this replica has almost the same amount of dV as the real deal (1380 m\s vs real one's 1450), but I'm not even remotely that good to achieve it manually, or even with MJ.

END OF NOTE

a3EC3Au.png

Presenting the newest body in KSRSS: Eros!

33Eku2f.png

To be honest, it looks like someone took a huge du... errr, sorry about that.

KPby4Ed.png

Getting closer and doing a landing burn with RCS.

qudgTNL.png

RZJMZx5.png

UmLdDGN.png

Honestly, this looks AMAZING.

bJeEwug.png

Ovr86Nv.png

Aaaalmost there...

kDJF6JY.png

Got it! Angle is... well... but gravity is non-existent, so it stays in place.

Edited by biohazard15

Hey guys, I know this is a bit out of the blue, but a user by the name of @deak is trying to make a new Vulcan mod. The first few pics look promising, and he's asking for help and advice since it's his first mod. I'd just thought I'd throw it out there since it's relevant to the Atlas/Delta/Centaur stuff.

Also we need a new, shiny Vulcan mod since Hephaistos hasn't been touched in a hot minute (still love it anyway).

On 4/24/2023 at 8:07 PM, Blufor878 said:

Hey guys, I know this is a bit out of the blue, but a user by the name of @deak is trying to make a new Vulcan mod. The first few pics look promising, and he's asking for help and advice since it's his first mod. I'd just thought I'd throw it out there since it's relevant to the Atlas/Delta/Centaur stuff.

Also we need a new, shiny Vulcan mod since Hephaistos hasn't been touched in a hot minute (still love it anyway).

Rest assured that the Powers That Be have also taken notice :)

On 4/22/2023 at 1:44 PM, JebTheDestroyer said:

Trying to rescale some parts for RO, and I was wondering if anyone had the exact heights of some of the parts. I tried going into the .cfg files for some of the parts to get their exact heights based off their nodes, but I realized they are offset for interstages and such. Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions of these parts?

Also, to the devs, I'm curious about the design philosophy when it comes to scaling for the Saturn parts. I know you guys usually multiply the IRL diameter of the rocket/spacecraft by 0.625, and then round it to the nearest KSP size (sometimes creating new sizes), but the Saturn seems different. I get why the S-IC diameter stages are 6.25m but the S-IVB sized stages would be around 4.125m if scaled the same way. Does it have to do with the size of Apollo? Also, is the height of BDB parts scaled the same way as diameter, or is it calculated differently?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Good thing I was scrolling the thread, I missed this when you posted (Sorry I've been so absent everyone!)

I'm not sure of a better way to get the heights. Taking the difference between the nodes works for most things. You could try using the .mu importer to bring the few you aren't sure about into Blender?

For scaling the Saturn... well, there was a big discussion about it between myself, some users, and other mod authors who had a vested interest in compatibility. My understanding was that we'd reached consensus on 4.25m as a compromise. I was later informed that I should have made them 4.125m, but I was much too far along to change it, especially given the relatively minor scaling issue compared to the overall scale of the parts.

Typically what we do for rockets is figure out the diameter scale and work from there. If I decide something is going to be, say, 1.5m, then I'll find a good orthographic image, scale it so it matches a 1.5m cylinder, and go from there. In rockets where the stages are multiple diameters, you can already imagine the issues this can cause. Usually there are some compromises along the way, with the end goal being to match the overall proportions while still keeping to established diameters. So there are definitely instances where, say, a stage is slightly overscaled in diameter, but the height is still "correct" compared to the first stage's scaling, for example.

Which is all to say, there's never going to be a perfect number you can multiply everything by and achieve 'real scale'. There's too many compromises and executive decisions. Generally the scaling is correct, parts that are 1.25m and below (in KSP scale) tend to have more issues. A lot of the 0.625m and 0.9375m rocketry parts are overscaled, and that's partially so they can fit payloads in their fairings.