[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Usually I go for a steep reentry from Interplanetary speeds because if I go shallow then I don't aerocapture. If I remember, both have 800 ablator, plus I used the 5-kerbal command pod.

Pointing SAS to Orbital retrograde caused the heat shield to explode first. Surface Retrograde caused the command pod to explode first.

Plus the stock heat shield looks ugly on either of the Kane command pods (as well as the Fuji ones)

Edited by Richmountain112

2 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

I'm using Stock system + OPM and Planet Cyran. The 2.5m stock heatshield can survive from Neidon but the Kane-11 one can't? The stock 1.25m heatshield was able to survive reentry from Urlum. I considered using a stock heatshield but it looked ugly.

2.5 stock is most likely overengineered compared to the Kane.  I haven't looked at the numbers; but it goes back to the quote about physics....

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Ah, something to compare. Both have almost identical aero properties, but the stock one has 1800 ablator, and the Kane has 800. Could be that?

Yes, yes indeed.  Game crazy thickness v. Realistic-ish thickness.  But hey, you can copy the BDB, rename the file to your liking and then give it the 2k ablation.   But you better be honest and adjust weight etc to play fair.

25 minutes ago, Richmountain112 said:

Usually I go for a steep reentry from Interplanetary speeds because if I go shallow then I don't aerocapture. If I remember, both have 800 ablator, plus I used the 5-kerbal command pod.

Pointing SAS to Orbital retrograde caused the heat shield to explode first. Surface Retrograde caused the command pod to explode first.

Plus the stock heat shield looks ugly on either of the Kane command pods (as well as the Fuji ones)

Well, their is another thing.  Steep Kills b/c of massive G loading.  And I don't just mean that it gets the LGMs.  G loads can wreck anything.  Work on aerocapture, even if it takes a couple passes through things to stay inside.

Edited by RocketBoy1641

2 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Well, their is another thing.  Steep Kills b/c of massive G loading.  And I don't just mean that it gets the LGMs.  G loads can wreck anything.  Work on aerocapture, even if it takes a couple passes through things to stay inside.

I usually play on settings that Kerbals don't pass out due to high G's. And regarding aerocapture, I almost never actually capture for another pass. Instead I usually proceed straight to landing because the G loads but sometimes if my capsule is too heavy or periapsis is too high it will escape Kerbin's SOI.

1 hour ago, Richmountain112 said:

I usually play on settings that Kerbals don't pass out due to high G's. And regarding aerocapture, I almost never actually capture for another pass. Instead I usually proceed straight to landing because the G loads but sometimes if my capsule is too heavy it will escape Kerbin's SOI.

Ever use balloots?  They can be useful in high atmo

3 hours ago, Saturn1234 said:

What rocket is intended for Gemini lunar flyby?

Depends on WHAT flyby concept you choose,  Yes Saturn C-1 with S-IVA and S-V  was one launch choice

Titan III with UA-1207(MR) was an option for the Agena kicked version  Or Double Transtage
Titan III with UA-1205 did't have the umph to do it in one launch

For the Apollo-Venus mission I initially went for a stretched Saturn IB but that didn't work. Either not enough TWR for initial ascent and falling back into the atmosphere, or not enough fuel in the (stretched) SIVB. Went for a Saturn V first stage with 4 F1 engines, and instead of the wet workshop, I did an Apollo Telescope mount LM to land on Gilly (The SIVB crashed into Eve).

Stock System + OPM + Planet Cyran.

30 minutes ago, Richmountain112 said:

Also, why does physics warp always destroy my parachutes?

Most likely shock when exiting warp if they are open....which may be in your settings for various mods/physics that you selected.

If they are deploying when you are at warp....ya, bad things happen with warp.

Can you give more details about sequence of when it is happening and things like altitude and velocity?

Edited by RocketBoy1641

1 hour ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Can you give more details about sequence of when it is happening and things like altitude and velocity?

Upper atmosphere (32KM), drogue open. 900 m/s. 

Command pod flips over with disjointed heat shield.

36 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

What does "Chrayol" mean? I've noticed this and one of the SOCK recolor mods have it as a variant.

It's in reference to the Chrayol Design Bureau mod, which has stockalike ISRO rockets:

Now as to what Chrayol means in that context, I haven't the foggiest.