[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Any official update about Viking?  Asking since it has been several months.  Understand irl constraints and they design may be on other things currently.

Edited by RocketBoy1641
Posting issues / duplication

2 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

I'm talking about this.

FlyBy-Orbiter-iMarsInjection.jpg

Yeah REAL (not ETS) Saturn S-IVC is already in the game... There are the required Side docking ports as well as Inline (nose to tail) docking ports.     Tinker-toys (Legos) in space time :D

That is actually how the Saturn C-3 would have gotten to the moon.    32 launches to get 7 S-IVC stages in line, and fully fueled with an Apollo Lander (note NOT the LM this would have been a full up Apollo Capsule on a lander that would boost back to earth directly from the surface of the Moon.)   With the LM and the lighter Apollo Block 2 Blk 2 SM combo it would take about 3 or 4

Edited by Pappystein

1 minute ago, Pappystein said:

Yeah REAL (not ETS) Saturn S-IVC is already in the game... There are the required Side docking ports as well as Inline (nose to tail) docking ports.     Tinker-toys (Legos) in space time :D

I was talking about the actual FLEM itself, not the SIVCs that propel it.

Edited by Richmountain112

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

More MORL tax. And if you're wondering why I needed such a powerful launch vehicle to launch Gemini to the station... I put the station into a retrograde polar orbit (95 degrees)

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

vSnDuCG.png

NbQ06aO.png

pIcaqTU.png

3KaIFZH.png

QnMJvT6.png

I2i8qhV.png

A lot of people massively underestimate the extra delta v needed when you loosed the benifits of a equatorial orbit profile.

1 hour ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

A lot of people massively underestimate the extra delta v needed when you loosed the benifits of a equatorial orbit profile.

Yeah, tbh, I tried launching the basic Titan II GLV... but soon found out that it wasn't going to work, so I upgraded to the IIIC. 

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

More MORL tax. And if you're wondering why I needed such a powerful launch vehicle to launch Gemini to the station... I put the station into a retrograde polar orbit (95 degrees)

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

vSnDuCG.png

NbQ06aO.png

pIcaqTU.png

3KaIFZH.png

QnMJvT6.png

I2i8qhV.png

Nice work! It is a bit freaky flying the Gemini into that nose for docking.  I always thought that “space garage” concept was very innovative, but pressing and depressing such a large volume would have used up a lot of air, complicating the logistics chain. 

21 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Nice work! It is a bit freaky flying the Gemini into that nose for docking.  I always thought that “space garage” concept was very innovative, but pressing and depressing such a large volume would have used up a lot of air, complicating the logistics chain. 

Tbh, I'm not sure how the Gemini MORL is supposed to workout that well. Apollo MORL (Which I will be launching next) makes a whole lot more sense, given that Apollo has a tunnel for crew.

On 5/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, RocketBoy1641 said:

Any official update about Viking?  Asking since it has been several months.  Understand irl constraints and they design may be on other things currently.

The official update is I have not heard anything since the announcement was made, which in retrospect was premature. I'd like to at least get the files from Akron to finish them but his IRL is very crazy.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:03 AM, Richmountain112 said:

How about the Apollo-derived Mars FLEM? For the stock system only 1 S-IVB will do but with JNSQ 3 S-IVBs will be needed to eject it.

14 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

I was talking about the actual FLEM itself, not the SIVCs that propel it.

FLEM would be cool to have some day, I think we only have the S-IVB Venus Flyby design for that sort of thing at the moment right?

50 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Tbh, I'm not sure how the Gemini MORL is supposed to workout that well. Apollo MORL (Which I will be launching next) makes a whole lot more sense, given that Apollo has a tunnel for crew.

I think the idea with the Gemini version is, even if the 'garage' isn't pressurized, at least you don't have to worry about the astronauts floating away...

On 5/13/2023 at 1:59 PM, BravoAlpha101st said:

All IVAs don't work.

What do you mean all IVAs don't work? Most of the ones in the mod are the black "void" placeholder IVA. If you have Kerbal portraits in the lower right of your HUD, the IVAs aren't broken.

What about the Apollo-Era FLEM?

Edit: I realized you already responded.

We already have the Kane spacecraft. We just need the radiation shield, decoupler, and mission module which lands and later rendezvouses back to the mothership.

18 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The official update is I have not heard anything since the announcement was made, which in retrospect was premature. I'd like to at least get the files from Akron to finish them but his IRL is very crazy.

:valcry:

16 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

What about the Apollo-Era FLEM?

Edit: I realized you already responded.

We already have the Kane spacecraft. We just need the radiation shield, decoupler, and mission module which lands and later rendezvouses back to the mothership.

Ha, you make it sound so easy. I forgot part of it landed, that's definitely a lot more complicated than I thought.

The M2 evolves into a family.
The M2B with larger tanks and wider fairings.
unjkK4c.png
Then two more first stage engines in the center and you have the M2C.
zqcfvg0.png
And the M3 142. An additional core stage engine, extended core stage tanks, a twin engine SIVB and also BOOSTERS!!!
Ci3krvb.png

Edited by Blufor878

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ha, you make it sound so easy. I forgot part of it landed, that's definitely a lot more complicated than I thought.

The actual proposal probably would've just orbited Mars instead of landing on it, then later rendezvous back to a flyby trajectory. Heck, with stock parts being designed for JNSQ, why not make the Mars orbiter crazy Overpowered? 

You know what else would be cool? A Lunar Escape System! It should have enough Delta-V to put a single Kerbal on a Suborbital trajectory out of the Atmosphere of Duna. The kerbal should have enough Delta-V in his jetpack to circularize once the Lunar Escape System is out of fuel. The Lunar Escape System should also have enough Delta-V to reach Mun Orbit.

6 hours ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

Could anyone tell me where to find the MORL? I looked through the Github for it but I could not successfully locate it, thanks in advance!

You need to go to the developement-branch at page 1. Here is the link:
https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/tree/1.11-development

Parts are in the Skylab-folder.

Edited by Cheesecake

13 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

You know what else would be cool? A Lunar Escape System! It should have enough Delta-V to put a single Kerbal on a Suborbital trajectory out of the Atmosphere of Duna. The kerbal should have enough Delta-V in his jetpack to circularize once the Lunar Escape System is out of fuel. The Lunar Escape System should also have enough Delta-V to reach Mun Orbit.

Fairly certain this already exists.