[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

And what about the Mars FLEM? When will that be added?

I understand your wish to see the part in game as soon as possible, especially with the FLEM (which i would also happily use in my upcoming Apollo Mars mission). I can assure you however, that the limiting factor in BDB development is not a lack of ideas and concepts, nor it is a lack of players waiting to try out new parts.

Making each new part requires a lot of time and effort, and BDB has a relatively small team of devs who provide us with extra high quality parts absolutely for free (while with their skills and experience they could totally get into "professional" gamedev and get paid for their work).

This means that they do for the mod as much as their IRL stuff, free time and inspiration permits, and reminding them of your suggestions every day (or, to be honest, every week of even month) is not really gonna accelerate the development. Please have some patience

4 minutes ago, Alpha512 said:

I understand your wish to see the part in game as soon as possible, especially with the FLEM (which i would happily use in my upcoming Apollo Mars mission). I can assure you however, that the limiting factor in BDB development is not a lack of ideas and concepts, nor it is a lack of players waiting to try out new parts.

Making each new part requires a lot of time and effort, and BDB has a relatively small team of devs who provide us with extra high quality parts absolutely for free (while with their skills and experience they could totally get into "professional" gamedev and get paid for their work).

This means that they do for the mod as much as their IRL stuff, free time and inspiration permits, and reminding them of your suggestions every day (or, to be honest, every week of even month) is not really gonna accelerate the development. Please have some patience

⬆️ Having said that, I'd like to ask for closed nosecone variants of wide and extra wide Saturn SLA's:wink:

Edited by Alpha512

9 hours ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

Found it! Should I start downloading each MORL file manually or is there a more streamlined way to download all of them?

You should download the entire BDB and replace it it GameData.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:31 PM, Richmountain112 said:

And what about the Mars FLEM? When will that be added?

On 5/18/2023 at 4:27 AM, Alpha512 said:

I understand your wish to see the part in game as soon as possible, especially with the FLEM (which i would also happily use in my upcoming Apollo Mars mission). I can assure you however, that the limiting factor in BDB development is not a lack of ideas and concepts, nor it is a lack of players waiting to try out new parts.

Yeah, I never even committed to making FLEM. I think after I finish the Helios revamp I'd like to try working on the orbital half of the Viking missions to see if that helps move those things along.

I also don't know if there's any primary sources available for FLEM, which is something I strive to find before working on things anymore.

I actually do 3D work professionally, though you'd be surprised how little overlap there is between my real job and KSP. I certainly don't get to hand paint textures for my "professional" career. Mostly just buying car assets off Turbosquid and ramming them together like a toddler, haha.

⬆️ Having said that, I'd like to ask for closed nosecone variants of wide and extra wide Saturn SLA's:wink:

Does that include the 4.25m "straight" walled SLA? Or just the expanded ones.

On 5/18/2023 at 5:33 AM, Cheesecake said:

You should download the entire BDB and replace it it GameData.

Correct, the best way is usually to delete the Bluedog_DB folder from your GameData and replace it with a fresh one. If you know what you're doing, you can try replacing smaller chunks of the mod, but it could easily lead to problems.

Edited by CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

Just put a nose cone on top if you want a "closed" version of the extra wide Saturn SLA.

Here's where I got the FLEM from: https://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/2017/09/a-new-step-in-spaceflight-evolution-to.html

Edited by Richmountain112

17 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

Just put a nose cone on top if you want a "closed" version of the extra wide Saturn SLA.

Here's where I got the FLEM from: https://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/2017/09/a-new-step-in-spaceflight-evolution-to.html

Yeah, I remember reading that in 2017 or so and being really impressed with the illustrations. I usually try and work from actual documents. I can try and see about tracking down the sources DSFP used.

The more I look the more I realize how may parts FLEM would need. To be clear, it isn't something I'm currently planning on doing. I am a bit interested though.

EDIT: Looks like the main paper is on AIAA, if anyone can grab it for me... https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdf/10.2514/6.1966-36  Got it, didn't have anything useful

Edited by CobaltWolf

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, I remember reading that in 2017 or so and being really impressed with the illustrations. I usually try and work from actual documents. I can try and see about tracking down the sources DSFP used.

The more I look the more I realize how may parts FLEM would need. To be clear, it isn't something I'm currently planning on doing. I am a bit interested though.

Aren't you planning on refreshing the helios parts soon? Is there any chance you could look into adding this, from the same website as above? It looks to just be a pair of Helios probes without the upper solar shield and extra instruments.

https://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/2015/08/preparing-for-halley-1974-plan-for-slow.html

Just now, Entr8899 said:

Aren't you planning on refreshing the helios parts soon? Is there any chance you could look into adding this, from the same website as above? It looks to just be a pair of Helios probes without the upper solar shield and extra instruments.

https://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/2015/08/preparing-for-halley-1974-plan-for-slow.html

I'm looking into it, I have the document the post is based on, just haven't looked at it too much. It will probably just be "loosely inspired" tbh.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

How many parts would it need exactly? I did make one in Blender. 

On 5/20/2023 at 12:16 AM, RocketBoy1641 said:

My memory of the post was Duna.  If it was Eve....same applies.

I use Stock System + Planet Cyran + OPM. It explodes if returning from Sarnus (and I assume Urlum and Neidon, maybe Jool. Needs testing to make sure). It's fine from Eve though.

Also my original comment about Kane heat shield exploding was returning from Sarnus, not Duna.

6 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

I use Stock System + Planet Cyran + OPM. It explodes if returning from Sarnus (and I assume Urlum and Neidon, maybe Jool. Needs testing to make sure). It's fine from Eve though.

Also my original comment about Kane heat shield exploding was returning from Sarnus, not Duna.

Ok, sounding familure.  Not getting time for much sleep let alone looking back at the back stuff in the tread.  Look at the speed differences in that article.  It really blows the mind just how much speed difference is involved in -just- that.  What you did would have been many times faster.... so really hot entry.  Do you happen to have any screenshots of what your inbound velocity was?  Just currious.

6 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Ok, sounding familure.  Not getting time for much sleep let alone looking back at the back stuff in the tread.  Look at the speed differences in that article.  It really blows the mind just how much speed difference is involved in -just- that.  What you did would have been many times faster.... so really hot entry.  Do you happen to have any screenshots of what your inbound velocity was?  Just currious.

Screenshots? No, but I usually come in at about 5-7 km/s when coming back from Sarnus.

Hi! I had some patches I wrote for various engine configs that are present in ROENGINES but aren’t here- AJ-10 Transtar (using GE-40SH model); Agena LH2/LF2 (replaced with LFO), and a more specific RL10CECE engine using the RL10A3 model. Would you guys welcome these versions of the engines in the mod? If they would be, how would I go about adding them?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty out of the loop and wasn't very technically minded in the first place; the average mod user probably knows more than I do about KSP issues these days. So I don't know how much I, personally, can help with the kind of bugs some people are reporting at the moment. Apologies! Hopefully someone here on the thread can help more.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:42 PM, Richmountain112 said:

How many parts would it need exactly? I did make one in Blender. 

Uhm, put it this way - enough parts that I'm not interested in taking on the project right now, haha. And certainly not without something more than a blog post to go off of.

On 5/21/2023 at 9:20 AM, Rutabaga22 said:

I'm having an issue that seems to happen with SRBs from this mod and others. When I fire certain SRBs the UI remains but everything else goes black. I don't know what is happening.
Here's my log:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tvAlF-B8Qdo-CfAOc9w4YglUjbDa6nis/view?usp=sharing

I honestly have no idea what could even cause that. I see errors in your log but nothing that would have anything to do with SRBs..?

13 hours ago, eagleswing12 said:

Hi! I had some patches I wrote for various engine configs that are present in ROENGINES but aren’t here- AJ-10 Transtar (using GE-40SH model); Agena LH2/LF2 (replaced with LFO), and a more specific RL10CECE engine using the RL10A3 model. Would you guys welcome these versions of the engines in the mod? If they would be, how would I go about adding them?

Hmm. I appreciate the work but I'm not sure on those engines specifically.

• I don't think the GE-405H is the best model for the Transtar. I think the AJ10-118F or 118K would be more appropriate models. If it's a relatively simple performance variation we could try adding that as a B9 switch to one of those engines.
  • For the Agena, I don't think we have any fluorine engines in the mod. I'm skeptical of fluorine as a fuel, since (as I understand it) it's even more dangerous/difficult to work with than hypergolics. I also have a concern from a gameplay POV - I don't want an engine with vastly improved performance that uses standard LFO. LH2 engines have their performance balanced in game by the tank requirements and boiloff. LF2 (represented as LFO) doesn't have the same drawbacks.
  • I'm not sure what performance the CECE had. A quick look says it was mostly a tech demonstrator for deep throttling, which isn't applicable to KSP (at least outside of RO). We already have a good number of RL-10 variations so I think there is already one with identical performance stats.

8 hours ago, Brainpop14 said:

OK, this mod seems to be completely crashing my game and I have no idea why.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5vodsnr1omrla73/Player.log/file

Again, I'm not sure, but my best guess looking at the log would be running out of memory? But your mod list isn't nearly as crazy as some of the others I see, so I don't know.

1 hour ago, lec-- said:

Do you know how the rocket data in reality should be transferred to the game according to the scale of BDB.For example, put the realistic engine thrust in the game at a quarter ratio

I know we use 1/4 real thrust. ISP should be the same as IRL. I know we have a crazy spreadsheet for converting SRB stats. And stuff like tank volumes/weights are also calculated by a spreadsheet. Most of the work for figuring that out was done by Jso, who isn't part of the team anymore. I'm not sure how she got the values she uses; I just still use the calculator spreadsheets.

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Again, I'm not sure, but my best guess looking at the log would be running out of memory? But your mod list isn't nearly as crazy as some of the others I see, so I don't know.

Is there a way to dedicate more RAM to the game?

1 hour ago, Brainpop14 said:

Is there a way to dedicate more RAM to the game?

KSP doesn't let you dedicate ram. It will use up all the ram your system has available and if it uses it all up, windows will force shutdown the game to save your computer fron locking up.

If you're running out of ram, a mod might be causing a memory leak issue, which will just cause all ram to fill up. One way to fix this is to make sure all your mods are up to date AND that you check the integrity of your game files (you can do this through steam by checking the files integrity, or by redownloading the entire game if not through Steam)

Other than that, not a lot you can do to fix a memory leak. Buying and installing more ram can give you some head room. 

Edited by GoldForest

On 5/21/2023 at 9:20 AM, Rutabaga22 said:

One thing you can do immediately if not sooner, is get rid of this file:  GameData\KerbinSideRemastered\MiniAVC.dll.  MiniAVC is le dead and can cause issues with mod loading.

You have a boatload of dragcube errors and nullrefs that I don't have, on parts that work fine for me. No idea what that's about. And I guess I'll just mention that it weirds me out to see the text "OneDrive" in the path to KSP. I hope your computer isn't trying to synchronize your KSP folder.

39 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

You have a boatload of dragcube errors and nullrefs that I don't have, on parts that work fine for me. No idea what that's about. And I guess I'll just mention that it weirds me out to see the text "OneDrive" in the path to KSP. I hope your computer isn't trying to synchronize your KSP folder.

I just have my ksp files on my desktop, don't worry.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I see errors in your log but nothing that would have anything to do with SRBs..?

Could it be a graphical issue? I suspected waterfall, but it isn't the issue..

On 5/18/2023 at 5:24 AM, GoldForest said:

Moar MORL tax!

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

bhLmiZH.png

TorXOF5.png

oCK2NuS.png

1pNGUKA.png

kOHBkRZ.png

cpaufYM.png

Isn't MORL supposed to be gemini? I'm confused.

Edited by Rutabaga22