[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I did some looking around, and from what I can tell, BDB is the only thread on the forum that has 1000 pages on it!  This is certainly an accomplishment! BDB should get TOTM again, just for this alone, imo!

Edited by GoldForest

28 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I did some looking around, and from what I can tell, BDB is the only thread on the forum that has 1000 pages on it!

Ehh not really, the SpaceX thread to say one has almost 1500 so there's probably a few. But TOTM is definitely warranted

33 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Ehh not really, the SpaceX thread to say one has almost 1500 so there's probably a few. But TOTM is definitely warranted

I missed that one when I was just skimming through the forums. Did a more thorough search and found only 3 other threads with a 1000 or 1000+:
"Ban the user above you!" - Forum games - 1126 pages currently
"What did you do in KSP today?" - KSP Discussions  - 2397 pages currently! (Dang!)
"SpaceX Discussion Thread" - Science & Spaceflight - 1446 pages currently

So yeah, there's a few, but definitely a rare thing to behold indeed. I also might have missed 1 again.

Tantares will be next I feel, sitting at 851 pages, currently, but with the new update coming, it will get up in pages again. 

But BDB being a mod and reaching 1000 pages is something special imo.

Edited by GoldForest

14 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

We all did it 1000!

On a different note related to the topic I just found out you can turn the LM's base and legs into silver sadly I do not have screencaps at the moment.

I'm actually glad you pointed this out; I hadn't updated my BDB install in awhile and wouldn't have known this otherwise.

Now that I do, the cogs in my head are starting to turn; cooking up a nefarious scheme that even the most unhinged AAP planner might balk at... 

2 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I'm actually glad you pointed this out; I hadn't updated my BDB install in awhile and wouldn't have known this otherwise.

Now that I do, the cogs in my head are starting to turn; cooking up a nefarious scheme that even the most unhinged AAP planner might balk at... 

Yeah, a lot of stuff isn't announced, like the S4A's single engine mount. 

Oh no. Oh no. Oh no no no!

I think I've found a solution to the LRV issue.

Let's start with my personal issue: none of the rover parts I have installed could build a rover big enough to carry two Kerbals while being small enough to be transported on the LM (specifically the reworked LM). My first idea was to carry the rover parts I needed in the descent stage inventory and assemble a rover on the Moon, but there wasn't enough room to carry anything after packing all of the ALSEP items needed. The second idea was to use the craft file on Page 974, but I saw it required several mods I don't have (ReStock has that blacklisting-whitelisting caveat that scared me off using it for fear of the possibility it could crash the game, and Kerbalism adds life support, which creates too much micromanaging and anxiety for my liking), so that was out.

Next, I built a rover in the SPH using the Packrat Mk2 parts, and it worked very well. Since I'm using KSRSS with the Cape Canaveral addon, I drove from the Shuttle Landing Facility to LC-39A via the VAB; and since I'm roleplaying an althist timeline, I'm using Kustom Kerbals to create accurate US astronauts and fictional female American astronauts (plus five members of the Mercury 13 who were selected since the United States in this timeline is a much more progressive country, turning the Mercury Seven into the Mercury Twelve; the five women are Wally Funk, Marion and Janet Dietrich, Sarah Gorelick, and Bernice Steadman), I had David Scott and Jim Irwin drive the rover, and since I had never really driven a rover in KSP, like, EVER, it was a learning experience.

Now that I had a good rover design, the next step was trying to get the damn thing to the Moon. My first idea was to use the 1.25m Storage Kontainer from the USI Logistics mod, but mounting it on the side of the descent stage was out of the question because it poked way through the SLA. Next idea was to use smaller containers, but they also either poked through the SLA or can only be attached to nodes.

Eventually, I realized that the only way to get the rover I want to the moon without having to download mods that risk breaking my install or adding things I don't want: an acceptable break from reality. This break comes in the form of the LM Truck. Since there isn't an LM Truck part in the mod (yet), I used a Block II AARDV Cargo Module, slapped some radial RCS tanks on, added some Apollo RCS thrusters, put a pair of Packrat Mk2 crates at the very top for retrieval by the crew when the time comes, filled out the descent stage, added my custom-made Saturn V with AlphaMensae MLP subassembly, boom, LM Truck.

Not only will this solution help me get a rover to the Moon, it has also helped me practice building an LM Truck for when I get to the late 1970s when Phase I of Altair Base begins construction (the LM Shelter was very easy to build, merely consisting of combining the Apollo CM with the LM Descent Stage and calling it a day).

So there you have it. My solution to using the LRV in my KSP playthrough. I'd post pictures, but I'm still in-game.