[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

It's uncharted territory to some extent.  It's up to us figure out the most efficient method then we'll send it to Bill at NASA so he can correct the docs from the 1960's.  I'm sure he'll appreciate the input.  Otherwise I'll put a guide on the BDB wiki.  Come to think of it, they should be using the wiki build guides anyway, save themselves a fortune on SLS.  Anyway, let me know when you've worked out which is the best approach and I'll write up the winning entry :kiss:

Edited by Friznit

The goal of these studies wasn’t really to be efficient, the goal was to reuse as many existing components as possible in order to do new missions. What the manned CSM does is up to the guys who work with the manned CSM, and if there will be one in the CSM for two weeks (which is what is implied) then so be it. There’ll be plenty of extra work for them to do, along with the crew(s) that get sent to the moon just to drop off a rover, supplies, or a base.

3 hours ago, Jcking said:

If you don't mind the engine not being upside down, you can make a tug out of the AARDV parts and the 2.5 meter fairing

I've been testing this design for delivering the shelter (with a couple changes here and there) and it's smooth like buttah. The 3 ignitions on the tug mean you get 1 MCC if needed, and one capture burn. And then there are two nice options for the final ignition. a) separate the lander and use its engine to deorbit and land, then use the tug later for seismic experiments. or b) if you don't need the tug then use it for the deorbit burn, then separate the lander on the way down.

I may be getting ahead of the Dev Team here, but with the new LM parts I kitbashed this ATM...

Spoiler

8SsMx02.jpg

L660wIy.jpg

U6F9cPp.jpg

You have to rotate the solar panels inward for them to fit in the SLA.

Edited by DaveyJ576
Typo

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I may be getting ahead of the Dev Team here, but with the new LM parts I kitbashed this ATM...

Reveal hidden contents

8SsMx02.jpg

L660wIy.jpg

U6F9cPp.jpg

Could also use the straight SLA

Regarding that method of delivering the lunar shelter, the only new part I can forsee really being needed is a fairing to cover up the engine (probably a new version of the engine mount with a simple adjustable fairing). Might also need a new node somewhere on the service module (preferably an optional node via part switching) for correct attachment in the SLA.

want to have a go at trying to recreate the skylab wetlab concept, are the parts for it already in game or is that upcoming?

i primarily mean the adapter section. is there like a part toggle to get another docking port up top?

Edited by bjornadri

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Working on LM Lab for a bit.

https://www.twitch.tv/cobaltwolfy

ombfAZq.png

16 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Reveal hidden contents

8SsMx02.jpg

L660wIy.jpg

U6F9cPp.jpg

So I am ahead of the dev team! Nice!

UPDATE - BLUEDOG DESIGN BUREAU  V 1.10.2 "Луна"

This is a minor patch to the 1.10.0 update.

v1.10.0 RELEASE ALBUM

DOWNLOAD

GITHUB DOWNLOAD    |  SPACEDOCK DOWNLOAD 

should also be available via CKAN soon.

Changelog

v1.10.2
New Content and features
- New "Baby Centaur" Kick Stage
- New detailed IVA for Skylab orbital workshop. Applied to historical workshop and the wet workshops
- Custom decals for BDB to work with Conformal Decals (thanks to Viper)
- Apollo inspired mission patch flags (thanks to Icecovery)
- New ULA inspired BDB flag (thanks to Pickledtripod)

Updates and Enhancements
- Compatibility patches for Extraplanetary Launchpads cargo (thanks to Rodg88)
- Added 1.875m top node variant for Delta IV 3.125m fairing base in addition to existing 2.5m node, added ring only version with no truss.
- The Delta IV standalone payload adapter truss can now switch from 3.125m->2.5m, 3.125m->1.875m and 2.5m->1.875m
- New DCSS paint job based on Demosat/TOPAZ launches

Bug fixes
- Aero fixes for jettisonable SLA panels
- Aero fixes for Apollo capsules and heatshields
- Thermal fix for Advanced Apollo "feetshield" (thanks to Rodg88)
- Fix Skylab ATM robotics truss surface attach (thanks to Gotmachine)
- Various minor texture fixes
- Minor description and tag fixes
- Node fix for Big G service module
- Fix RL10 emissives

v1.10.0 changelog

Spoiler

New Content and features
- BIG REVAMP OF SATURN, APOLLO & SKYLAB!!

Apollo
- New Apollo capsule with multiple variants including Skylab and Boilerplate variants
- Official PBR support for Apollo capsule via Textures Unlimited with custom PBR textures (Thanks to Truthful Gnome)
- New block II SM with realistic SIM-bay and alternate bay interiors
- Apollo CM terrestrial landing heatshield with legs and retro motors
- New SIM-bay experiments and revamped sub satellite
- New LM with independent legs and silver MLI variant
- New LM and CSM engines
- 16 new surface experiment parts based on the Apollo Lunar Surface Experiment Package (ALSEP). Requires Breaking Ground DLC.
- Multiple R4D rcs variant blocks
- LM MESA experiment, goo experiment based on RTG cask, and cosmic ray detector
- Revamped ETS advanced Apollo service modules and mission modules
- revamped AARDVARK block I and block II, plus unpressurised segment.
- new accurate CADS docking port in passive and active models (1.25m)
- Apollo Boilerplate CM and SM
- New Apollo SM Doppler Antenna (used on ASTP mission)

Saturn
- All new Saturn V at correct real world to KSP scale ( S1C and SII now 6.25m, SIVB 4.25m).
- Multiple variant lengths for S1C including various stretches for MLV as well as common bulkhead variant.
- Variants for S1C engine mount
- Multiple mounting truss options for the SLA. Wide SLA variant with straight walls for larger payloads
- Multiple variant lengths, 5x and 7x engine mount variants for SII.
- SII to 3.75m Generic mount and dedicated 3.75m M1 engine mount.
- Multiple variant lengths, SOFI texture variant and LASS mount option for the S4B
- Variants for Saturn V engine mount
- S1D Atlas style half staging mount and vernier engine
- New inline and radial AJ260 solid rocket motor in multiple length variants
- Revamped and resized Saturn I (first stage 4.25m, S4 3.75m) with multiple length switches
- 6.25m (MLV) and 4.25m (Skylab style), and 3.75m SAF fairings.
- 2.5m Saturn I fairing variant
- Truss adapter for AARDV and Centaur
- New E-1 engine
- New sustainer variant for the F1
- New H2 variant (subtype on the H1)

Skylab
- All new historical Skylab with Breaking Ground based robotics truss for the ATM
- Jettisonable shielding for the orbital workshop with custom PBR texture support via Textures Unlimited for the bare workshop
- Skylab external experiments
- New wet workshop model
- New Venus flyby wet workshop with expanded shielding and 12x solar panels
- New Venus flyby mission module with unpressurised cargo bay, experiments and reentry probes.
- New ETS Spacelab parts
- Aft MDA based on EOSS proposals for expanding Skylab derived from the back

Gemini
- parts for Big Gemini conical service module (4.25m S4B diameter)
- Abort tower for Big Gemini

Other
- New Saturn I-based Pegasus micrometeorite satellite
- Replaced old APAS (0.9375m) with new model by Benjee10. Compatible without conflict with Benjees own mods (Habtech, SOCK etc)
- Apollo Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) docking adapter and experiment
- APAS 75 docking port from ASTP. Compatible with corresponding Soyuz base counterpart being added to Tantares.
- New Agena Horizon Sensor part (definitely apollo related)

Updates and Enhancements
- Update bundled Waterfall to 0.8.1
- Update bundled B9PS to v2.20.0
- Some solar panel EC output balancing
- Minor science balancing
- New Agena Avionics Unit 'split' paint variant
- DCSS 2.5m Fairing Base paint variants (white, black, and gray)
- Updated craft files courtesy of Friznit

Bug fixes
- Fix more typos
- Minor tag fixes
- Fix Delta IV engine shroud texture
- System Heat fixes for nuclear engines

Edited by Zorg

5 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

You got me all excited - until I realized I've already been using most of the new stuff straight from the repo. 

lol yes the releases don't mean much  for the forum regulars most of whom are on the dev branch.

So I have also been playing around with some MOLEM concepts.

Spoiler

N0Q2iq8.jpg

VrcxipD.jpg

I am pretty satisfied with it, but it would be great if @CobaltWolfwould create a B9 switch to eliminate the RCS thrusters. They are obviously not needed since you have them on the LM Truck.

I have one major head-scratching problem though... it is undriveable! Any application of power will result in massive wheelies or nosedives. Any turn to the left or right, even when standing still, will result in a flipover. It seems as if the steering and drive torque is waaay over done. These are the Squad Expansion RoveMax M1-F wheels, scaled up to 140%. I like them because they closely resemble the real LRV wheels. The weird thing is that I use these same wheels on my smaller LRV-style rover and I have only minor issues that can be overcome with careful driving.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? This is too cool a concept to pass up. Thanks

Edited by DaveyJ576
typo

13 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

So I have also been playing around with some MOLEM concepts.

Hide contents

N0Q2iq8.jpg

VrcxipD.jpg

I am pretty satisfied with it, but it would be great if @CobaltWolfwould create a B9 switch to eliminate the RCS thrusters. They are obviously not needed since you have them on the LM Truck.

I have one major head-scratching problem though... it is undriveable! Any application of power will result in massive wheelies or nosedives. Any turn to the left or right, even when standing still, will result in a flipover. It seems as if the steering and drive torque is waaay over done. These are the Squad Expansion RoveMax M1-F wheels, scaled up to 140%. I like them because they closely resemble the real LRV wheels. The weird thing is that I use these same wheels on my smaller LRV-style rover and I have only minor issues that can be overcome with careful driving.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? This is too cool a concept to pass up. Thanks

Cue the Baby Elephant Walk playing in the background of that rover roving.

34 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I have one major head-scratching problem though... it is undriveable! Any application of power will result in massive wheelies or nosedives. Any turn to the left or right, even when standing still, will result in a flipover. It seems as if the steering and drive torque is waaay over done.

Did you remember to turn off SAS?

2 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Did you remember to turn off SAS?

Yes. No joy.

34 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

in my experience, the back wheels likely don't need to be motorized, or steerable for that matter. You can always re-enable the back wheels motor for slopes/etc.

Did that. Still mega wheelies even with just the front wheels driving. 

41 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Yes. No joy.

Did that. Still mega wheelies even with just the front wheels driving. 

Do you use Mechjeb? If so, then try doing a test with the rover autopilot. Just set a heading and start  increasing speed from 1 m/s. If the rover behaves normally then the rover design/parts are not the problem, if it still flips then is a problem with the design/parts

EDIT: This is the easiest and simple solution, If you really want that specific design and don't want a redisignyou can edit the strength (x10-x30 the strength for example) of that capsule reaction wheels and use Mechjebs SASS to maintain stability

Edited by Guest

I built and launched my first (Non premade craft file) space station.

Spoiler

I based the design on Von Braun's original and GoldForest's design of the concept.

20220514142032_1_by_pudgemountain_df5fk3e-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjVmazNlLTVmNTNkM2NhLWI4YWItNDJmNC1iN2U0LTY1N2JlNmVhYTk1Zi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.ZpOTCzXC3C758z7r-sE4mTOSoGqjz-2yptf_xIRRj1I

20220514145636_1_by_pudgemountain_df5fk3d-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjVmazNkLWE0YWU0NzQ3LWU5YTgtNDQ5YS04MDhjLTMwOTQ0ZDY5ZGExYi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.iejgisNzjaeCLOVRXin5kwOJjDVcQ__cZe6QjcXGxdA

Now I think of it, it just looks like Skylab with a S-II wet workshop attached to it lol.

20220514150845_1_by_pudgemountain_df5fk3a-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjVmazNhLTY1OGUwZDc5LTU3NmMtNGE1ZC05YTg4LTk0NDgzNjdhNDNmOS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.MHqXrhhVIecbKH-rNfvNASqx-y38HfdM1LoYL9KxMiE

Time to launch the crew.

20220514152630_1_by_pudgemountain_df5fk35-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjVmazM1LTNlNTdjYTNjLTNiZTktNDkwNi1iZDZjLTYzNDQ5NDU0YzQyZi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19._nQb0HbbHSZhnCLazM_gY12cBLzPJjTR0yxG1t-GTAg

20220514153548_1_by_pudgemountain_df5fk33-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjVmazMzLTIxYjZlZGYzLTM1NDYtNDdhNC1iMTBjLTY5MDA0OWZkODJkMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.UnmtIt1ROr4-VJnRFDFxihwPI1HCsEBByNGF4glY4ZA

20220514153850_1_by_pudgemountain_df5fk2y-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjVmazJ5LTI1YjZmNTkwLWQzYzgtNDRkZC04NjFmLWQyODlmNmE4ODVlYS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.hg2yzQNc6f9XMBdg8HpKoZjdZzmdMgDmViYtm9hRSj8

I may add onto it in the future and possibly convert it into a hotel when it's life as a lab is over.