[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

It had enough fuel to get to Mun orbit, but not to escape it.

As I remember they've planned to use Nova for direct landing, not Saturn-V. btw nice looking lander! Maybe using NFLV 7.5m tanks and lower stage enging mount you could build a Nova and then complete the direct Moon landing with escape burn

3 minutes ago, MikoYurei said:

As I remember they've planned to use Nova for direct landing, not Saturn-V. btw nice looking lander! Maybe using NFLV 7.5m tanks and lower stage enging mount you could build a Nova and then complete the direct Moon landing with escape burn

True, but I think the problem was making the lander too small and only 2 stage. The real lander would have been 3 stage iirc. Descent stage, landing/ascent stage, and then return stage. And no, the S-IVB doesn't count as the descent stage as it only had a few hundred D/V, not enough to get the lander close to landing speed. The landing/descent stage also had to burn a lot of fuel to land safely.

As for building a Nova/C-8, maybe, if Cobalt makes any direct ascent landers.

I'll try redesigning the lander and launching another attempt probably.

LM lab but to moon
screenshot1028.png

I also want to suggest hydrogen only switch to VFB lab ( for using it with nuclear engines) and stretched variant (S IV C) for ETS saturn.

Edited by Shlyopa

4 minutes ago, Shlyopa said:

I also want to suggest hydrogen only switch to VFB lab ( for using it with nuclear engines)

I think I also suggested that... unless I never posted it!   So I'll say +1 vote for this suggestion!

4 minutes ago, Shlyopa said:

and stretched variant (S IV C) for ETS saturn.

To be clear, do you mean stretched variant of the VFB Lab like the S IV B Currently has?

1 minute ago, MashAndBangers said:

I think I also suggested that... unless I never posted it!   So I'll say +1 vote for this suggestion!

To be clear, do you mean stretched variant of the VFB Lab like the S IV B Currently has?

yep, VFB lab but 3m stretched. 

2 hours ago, MikoYurei said:

There is a proposal for a two man direct ascent lander using C-5 and cryogenic propellants.

Spoiler

IMG_7897.png

IMG_7901.png

IMG_7898.png

IMG_7900.png

IMG_7899.png

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

True, but I think the problem was making the lander too small and only 2 stage. The real lander would have been 3 stage iirc. Descent stage, landing/ascent stage, and then return stage. And no, the S-IVB doesn't count as the descent stage as it only had a few hundred D/V, not enough to get the lander close to landing speed. The landing/descent stage also had to burn a lot of fuel to land safely.

I'll try redesigning the lander and launching another attempt probably.

You can always try a Gemini Direct Ascent lol.

11 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

OOOO this will really help out with kitbashing a Boeing-proposed interplanetary manned spacecraft, especially with stacking the boosters vertically. (Last time I tried something like this I had to use docking port-decoupler pairs to get the staging correct.)

This isn't even out yet, and already I'm asking if we'll get length variations of these docking structures, for various engine lengths (longest would be the larger NERVA, probably).

5 hours ago, MikoYurei said:

Is this for one of the IPP concept with Mars manned mission using NERVAs? Also, we have NERVA, what about Nuclear Shuttle parts?

So let me caveat this all by saying - we're still in the early stages of figuring out these parts, so the scope of what we're doing is still being defined. I think it will be Zorg and I's main focus once we finish the new station / LM parts, respectively.

So - the thing I posted. That's not for nuclear shuttles. This is trying to create the IRL (not ETS) S-IVC, which would have been an earth departure stage. The idea here is you stack several S-IVC stages in orbit, and then fire them one after the other. There's a bunch of different variants of this, and the art is all a bit weird, so take it with a grain of salt.

78mRfWp.pngYLkRZUt.png

FSQMLlOXsAMLXm5?format=png&name=medium

So the parts I showed, specifically the docking system - that's JUST for docking S-IVB-type stages together. I'm also working on a length-adjustable side-docking solution.

re: Nuclear shuttles, at this rate I'm sure there will be dedicated parts for them, we just don't know what yet. Note that the nuclear shuttles are all S-II diameter, not S-IVB diameter. NERVA II is really too big for use with S-IVB-diameter stages.

I'll just say - we're going to be putting a lot of work into make interplanetary transfer vehicles with all this stuff. Y'all need to make sure you make some big, cool missions with them when they're out, since we won't really have payloads for them. :)

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I'd totally make direct ascent Apollo and tell people to launch it on uprated Saturn Vs just to troll. But the big issue is since direct was abandoned relatively early on, the direct ascent Apollo doesn't have a lot of detailed design work so there isn't a ton to pull on. But it's something I think would be cool some day.

1 hour ago, Shlyopa said:

I also want to suggest hydrogen only switch to VFB lab ( for using it with nuclear engines)

1 hour ago, MashAndBangers said:

That's doable, yeah.

1 hour ago, MashAndBangers said:

1 hour ago, Shlyopa said:

yep, VFB lab but 3m stretched. 

I don't think the labs can easily be stretched. I put a good amount of time and effort modeling, unwrapping, and texturing the Saturn stages to be stretchable. I don't believe any such work was put into the lab modules.

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Speaking of Hydrogen, @CobaltWolf Not sure if you saw my earlier post about it, but the hydrogen/oxygen fuel cell still uses Monoprop on the Apollo service module. 

is that even part of vanilla BDB? EDIT: Yeah the fuel cell should be using monopropellant, not sure what you mean?

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'd totally make direct ascent Apollo and tell people to launch it on uprated Saturn Vs just to troll. But the big issue is since direct was abandoned relatively early on, the direct ascent Apollo doesn't have a lot of detailed design work so there isn't a ton to pull on. But it's something I think would be cool some day.

Take some creative licensing and just do what feels right. Tons of craft to choose from:

Eo5xf4jU8AEDkMQ?format=jpg&name=small

Personally, I'm in favor of the Final Direct Config April 1962 version. 

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

is that even part of vanilla BDB?

Oh, right, I think it's one of the Extras. Do you know who maintains the fuel cell config in the extras folder?

19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't think the labs can easily be stretched. I put a good amount of time and effort modeling, unwrapping, and texturing the Saturn stages to be stretchable. I don't believe any such work was put into the lab modules.

On that note, is shortening the S-IVB doable too? There's a few proposals that try to do that, and atm the only way to replicate those is tweakscaling NFLV

Edited by Beccab

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Take some creative licensing and just do what feels right. Tons of craft to choose from:

I'm a weenie and like having actual documents to refer to

1 minute ago, Beccab said:

On that note, is shortening the S-IVB doable too? There's a few proposals that try to do that, and atm the only way to replicate those is tweakscaling NFLV

Uhm, good question. The stages were designed to have repeating sections added, not taken away. I don't think the base S-IVB has a section that can be removed easily, but I might be able to squeeze at least one shortened variant out of it?

I also still need to do a 3 (2?) engine variant of the S-1D booster skirt. But stuff like this doesn't exactly make me excited to get home and get to work, sadly :P

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Oh, right, I think it's one of the Extras. Do you know who maintains the fuel cell config in the extras folder?

Of all of these, the Grumman LEM and all the NAA and NASA direct vehicles are enigmas (NAA in general because there is pretty much nothing as to the winning study and almost nothing to track from original proposal to final product).

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm a weenie and like having actual documents to refer to

17 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

This is more or less the most detailed I've found on that FVLq7M5WAAANGgr?format=png&name=large

Is there only one Saturn IV B tank in the game? I only see one; it has variants for taller extensions but the smallest size is still much larger than I need.

Context is for playing around with Big G. The flared Big G cargo bay with a docking extension at the bottom is IV B diameter. There's always Tweakscale to adapt another tank, I'm just wondering if I've overlooked a BDB part.

2 minutes ago, Beccab said:

This is more or less the most detailed I've found on that FVLq7M5WAAANGgr?format=png&name=large

The vehicle depicted there is another direct ascent lander and is basically a vertical lander version of the direct ascent lander from "A Feasible Approach for an Early Manned Lunar Landing Part I Summary Report of Ad Hoc Task Group Study June 16, 1961" and is a NASA design from what I can determine (side note, there is a significant amount of lost development from May to October of 1961 for Apollo).

3 hours ago, Beccab said:

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Is there only one Saturn IV B tank in the game? I only see one; it has variants for taller extensions but the smallest size is still much larger than I need.

Context is for playing around with Big G. The flared Big G cargo bay with a docking extension at the bottom is IV B diameter. There's always Tweakscale to adapt another tank, I'm just wondering if I've overlooked a BDB part.

As far as Big G, I may do Gemini Direct at some point? Which includes some 4.25m stages that are pretty perfect for that.

But, what about this for a shortened S-IVB? It's actually stupidly cute the more I look at it...

oCQv7dw.png

34 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

As far as Big G, I may do Gemini Direct at some point? Which includes some 4.25m stages that are pretty perfect for that.

But, what about this for a shortened S-IVB? It's actually stupidly cute the more I look at it...

oCQv7dw.png

Is there any chance you could go shorter than that, just the corrugated sections? Like a giant version of Ariane V's upper stage.

4 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Is there any chance you could go shorter than that, just the corrugated sections? Like a giant version of Ariane V's upper stage.

Best I can do without breaking the model/UVs, any more and we need to start figuring out the ISP of corrugated metal...

6EPWv7j.png