[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

UPDATE - BLUEDOG DESIGN BUREAU  V 1.10.3 "Луна"

This is a minor patch update.

v1.10.0 RELEASE ALBUM

DOWNLOAD

GITHUB DOWNLOAD    |  SPACEDOCK DOWNLOAD (pending upload) 

should also be available via CKAN soon.

Changelog

v1.10.3

Updates and Enhancements
- Update some RL10 stats
- Add RL10-B3 to BDB extras (Thanks to Pappystein)
- Add J2A2 to upper stage thrust buff patch in BDB extras

Bug fixes
- Fix Saturn AJ260 radial decoupler force direction 
- Fix photometer experiments (Thanks to Rodg88)
- Minor titles, descriptions and tag fixes
- Fix LM top hatch textures
- Fix LM EVA antenna animation
- fix Star motor level 3 and E1 engine upgrades
- Fix Space Dust bug with OAO instruments. Dedicated Space Dust versions of the instruments are now used instead.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:45 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Ok, thought about this a bit on the drive in to my office. I'd just stick to BDB v1.9 if things are working well for you now - BDB v1.10 was almost entirely focused on updating the Saturn and Apollo parts, so if you're already happily using the existing versions of those, there isn't a lot to get from the update. My chief concern, if you were to try and 'merge' 1.9 and 1.10, is that stuff like the compatibility files, things like that, are all updated and pointing at the new part names, not the old one. So I think if you tried to use BDB v1.10, but with the v1.9 Saturn folder, those Saturn parts would have issues.

I actually did briefly look into that while I was making the shortened S-IVB. I wanted to take the green 'cone', and everything that attached to it, and stick it on the tankbutt in the S-IVB mount. Zorg did the same thing, in reverse, for the single engine S-IV mount. I didn't work well, but I think I can make it work with a bit of elbow grease.

First off - I'm really not taking Gemini requests right now. I've got a pretty long to-do list at the moment.

Regarding "wide nose" Gemini, and this pretty much all applies to the Apollo as well, it's actually a pretty big ask. From a real-life hardware perspective, once you start changing the shape of the capsule like that, you're suddenly designing an entirely new spacecraft. So it's a somewhat unrealistic solution. With the Gemini, you also rapidly lose visibility out the forward windows.

Then there's what it would actually take me, the modder, to do such a thing. I'm going to try and illustrate this, so people understand the problem with doing something like this.
Here's just a normal cylinder, ring of vertices on the top and bottom. It's easy to change the diameter of one end by grabbing them and scaling them.

0aClhSq.png

Here's the Gemini capsule. As you can see, the geometry is much more complex (to a fault, almost), and selecting the top to change the diameter just results in a really jacked up model. Properly changing the slope would take an extensive amount of time moving all those vertices by hand - and the end result probably wouldn't be that good.

pEBA71i.png

Yeah it's been on my to-do list for a bit now.

I don't see why not, I suppose?

But Cobalt, it's easy, you just push a couple of buttons don't you? (real conversation between a PM and me, the drafter, he's lucky I didn't strangle him...)

46 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

So what, 6 seconds of Fuel with 4 J-2 engines? :P

The APS engine looks SOO out of place on the Orbital small SM....     Thanks for the screen shots!

*4 XLR-129s but yeah, it's maybe a bit too powerful

22 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Aw crap, the Chinese done licked the MOL. Can't have anything in Houston...

Thats what Washington said.  :joy:

We got pretty good out of Skylab/Kane.... although it retired much too early.  But still the Military has had pretty good with the Keyholes; and with more cameras for the same/less money than if they were manned.

59 minutes ago, Shlyopa said:

When S IC wetlab?

tbh, what I would really like would be a sort of S-IC drylab where the crewed section is in the intertank section, this, coupled with Saturn 5-B (1.5 stage S-1C), leads to a pretty cool station

14 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So what, 6 seconds of Fuel with 4 J-2 engines? :P

The APS engine looks SOO out of place on the Orbital small SM....     Thanks for the screen shots!

Surprisingly, short S-IVB works quite well with 2 APS. Kind of super-Transtage, or super-SM for Big G. Combine with any S-IVB-based lab to get a FAT MOL.

EOSS now up on github.

node with jetissonable cover is available to fit an Apollo drogue port to. The module also has an airlock where kerbals can exit from.

PS: discovered a slight bug which we might not be able to easily fix. If you launch a Skylab with an SLA and add an apollo on top, when you decouple if will also jettison the MM shields if the Apollo capsule is root (or anything *above* the SLA). Can avoid this by keeping something like the instrument unit root even if you want to have an spacecraft on the SLA.

Edited by Zorg

29 minutes ago, Zorg said:

EOSS now up on github.

node with jetissonable cover is available to fit an Apollo drogue port to. The module also has an airlock where kerbals can exit from.

PS: discovered a slight bug which we might not be able to easily fix. If you launch a Skylab with an SLA and add an apollo on top, when you decouple if will also jettison the MM shields if the Apollo capsule is root (or anything *above* the SLA). Can avoid this by keeping something like the instrument unit root even if you want to have an spacecraft on the SLA.

Fantastic! There's also a couple colour scans of that same station online, they look pretty cool
unknown.png
unknown.png

2 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Fantastic! There's also a couple colour scans of that same station online, they look pretty cool
unknown.png

Neat, I've actually not seen these!

22 hours ago, Shlyopa said:

I have a nice idea. Why not to add science container module to Gemini automated resupply pod, so it can return data?

Looks like it already has one.