[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 minutes ago, Abrecan said:

Can I ask about the progress on the S-IC/S-II, S-II/S-IVB Interstages and the SLA?

non-existant. I moved to a temporary living situation on Friday after spending all last week packing and cleaning, and since then have been having software issues that keep undoing what work I can achieve here and there. I keep running into an issue where the UV maps get 'scrambled' for no apparent reason. This somehow retroactively affects the saved files - as in, if I open a file from before the scrambling occurred, the messed up UV maps persist. Even if I close Maya or restart my computer before opening the old working one. The good news is that has only effected bits of the legs - the rest of the LEM is fine. I believe its something to do with the scene file getting corrupted - not as bad as it sounds. I basically need to export my work out of the scene, and import it into a new one. While not a common occurrence with Maya, its something that happens from time to time. If that does not fix it I might try to move to something else, or even grab my old laptop (which is stored, with the rest of my belongings, At a friends house) when I see him tomorrow.

My priority right now is getting the LEM done. There isn't that much left to it - basically the antennas and some fiddly bits I probably wont notice until I start trying to clean it up for unity export. The SLA and the S-IVB (sans J2) are already roughly modeled thanks to @venomousrequiem, I need to go back and do a detail/cleanup pass on them before I can UV unwrap them. If you annoy/bug her more maybe she will do the same for the other stages. With that said, we have also run into issues with reference material. Andegraf's Saturn is proportioned incorrectly, and I've struggled to find more accurate orthographic drawings of the same level of detail.

sooo, yeah. I fear we wont make our internal deadline of having a polished release by September 30th.

41 minutes ago, tater said:

Loaded this up for the first time in a while. Really nice. I'm sort of stunned by the number of parts given the footprint, almost too many to sort through. :)

Last time I counted we were sitting around ~250 parts, before Apollo started. I don't know of a mod that has more than that. :wink: Considering I'm maybe halfway through the roadmap...

EDIT: Also, I hesitate to speak too soon, but it appears that the solution for the LEM issue worked. I did not have any more issues tonight while I was working. Not too much to share with y'all that you haven't already seen, but here goes anyways:

jDiAIlh.png

BT3tKfg.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf, I'd like to put in a request for a part. It may seem a bit unusual, but I'd like to see a crewed compartment in the same form factor as the S IV adaptor tank. You see, I've made a Kerbin-Mun shuttle out of the S IV with a mk 1-2 strapped to the top, and the delta V has become seriously overkilled (is that even a word? Is now.) and I thought that replacing the adaptor tank with a (perhaps five-seat) crewed compartment (and maybe a heat shield to go with it) would be far more economical for tourist contracts. What do you think?

Edited by NotAgain

2 hours ago, NotAgain said:

@CobaltWolf, I'd like to put in a request for a part. It may seem a bit unusual, but I'd like to see a crewed compartment in the same form factor as the S IV adaptor tank. You see, I've made a Kerbin-Mun shuttle out of the S IV with a mk 1-2 strapped to the top, and the delta V has become seriously overkilled (is that even a word? Is now.) and I thought that replacing the adaptor tank with a (perhaps five-seat) crewed compartment (and maybe a heat shield to go with it) would be far more economical fro tourist contracts. What do you think?

The problem with that is that I don't think it was ever proposed. The S-IVb had the whole, make it a habitat thing, but I don't think S-IV ever had something planned for habitat space. Even for proposed S-IV based space station, the stage wasn't used as hab space.

However, if you can find anything like that from real life, I'm sure it could be made.

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

The problem with that is that I don't think it was ever proposed. The S-IVb had the whole, make it a habitat thing, but I don't think S-IV ever had something planned for habitat space. Even for proposed S-IV based space station, the stage wasn't used as hab space.

However, if you can find anything like that from real life, I'm sure it could be made.

Where's the imagination in that? Why can't we make something like it ourselves, without IRL reference?

20 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Where's the imagination in that? Why can't we make something like it ourselves, without IRL reference?

Yup, absolutely. There are a great number of things that can be abstracted from, say, the abandoned ideas from the Apollo Applications Program as an example. This is where history becomes a guidepost rather than a steel rail.

0.11.1 is up. This is a dev/beta package, the same thing you get if you download the repository. Contains Apollo parts. May contain incomplete, buggy, or parts that will not be in the next release. May cause blindness. Children consult your parents before downloading. For testing and feedback purposes only. Not recommended for career saves.

Changelog

-Added a second attach node to Big G heatshield for no shroud. Made an omni decoupler. (like the stock 2.5 heatshield).
-MOS-PS-80 Monopropellant tank attach node moved closer (was hovering). Tags added.
-Apollo textures fixed/normal maps.
-Agena nosecone decouple effects.
-Apollo fuel cell consumption increased.
-Agena docking port staging icon removed. Doesn't work right.
-USI Life Support. @komodo
-Centaur remotetech. @komodo
-Mercury/Gemini/Big Gemini/Apollo bouyancy. They all should float with hatches above the surface now.
-More Tweakscale. @Cowboy_WY
-KIS support. @Cowboy_WY
-Apollo parachutes untangled.
-Structural parts titles changed. Cost and mass balanced.

Edited by Jso

51 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Where's the real LM ?
maxresdefault.jpg

I've always gotten a chuckle from that concept model. It reminds me a little of these guys...

9ad8811626fc3f08fc2b5d54d4866392.jpg

Edited by Jack Wolfe

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

So, does BDB need/reference any Squad files? (ie .cfgs, models, textures, etc)...

The reason I ask, is with the amount of parts in BDB, I'm wondering if there is enough of everything to completely replace ALL the stock parts...

To my knowledge, BDB does not reference any stock parts. There are a few part types that BDB does not include however. You may want to save out fuel lines and struts as well as wheels, although with the 1.1.x updates they are of dubious worth. BDB also has no plane parts to speak of, not to mention a few one off parts like the Klaw that has no BDB equivalent. All of this is not to sat you can't remove stock parts, on the contrary, with BDB installed I don't see any reason to use any of the stock tanks or engines or pods or probes.

In direct answer to you question, no. You cannot completely replace ALL the stock parts with BDB equivalents. But you can get damn close :wink: