[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

What's wrong with that? APAS and now IDSS is great (international, big enough for people and small cargo, can fit on anything from Apollo to Soyuz to Buran without major modification (Gemini will need a structural hull resize), and so was Gemini (Modular, adaptable to different mission types from orbital rendezvous to spying to Moon landing, potentially reusable (if the Rogallo wing went through). Shame it was only ever used for docking practice). Why not put two together?

Actually Gemini would not need a resize FORWARD.  Rather it, or more likely BIG Gemini would have the docking port AFT.

Every Big G had an Aft docking port of some form, with a SM/LAB/Pressurized cargo tank of some sort. 

12 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

SoyuzStone? I'm not sure, but I think that's pretty much cursed.

It’s a different green, slightly darker and much less saturated (max colour saturation on texture is something like 6%). Soviet Green, especially on their crewed capsules, is quite vibrant in comparison. The green is also reminiscent of the field colour scheme of Redstone’s predecessor the V-2/Aggregat 4.

My design was supposed to be approximately reminiscent of the R-6 rocket, which would have used the same kind of parallel staging as the R-7, but with RD-105 first stage engines and an RD-106 second stage engine (analogous to the usage of the RD-107 and RD-108 on the R-7. I don't know if the R-6 would've been able to potentially put a payload into orbit as-is, but the rocket I made above has a solid upper stage for orbital insertion anyway (one of the small Star SRMs that fits with the WRESAT probe core).

I know the green isn't quite right for the typical Soviet green, and the tank shape isn't right either, but this was done at the start of a career mode game, and the Redstone parts seemed like good choices; they're cheaper than the Tantares R-7 parts, and better suited to smaller satellites.

14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Zorg is redoing Skylab (many hands and all that).

Now,  For All Mankind... I should maybe start by saying I didn't care for it? :) Ah well...

So, I've seen that, and I've seen the Jamestown base. They're also on the more realistic end, as far as the show goes. But I don't know how plausible they actually are. I'd need someone to look into them for me and figure out if Jamestown can actually land the way they say it does, for example.

And just to loop back for a second here, I'd also add that anything from FAM is definitely a long ways out. The priority for me right now is getting parity with what's currently in the mod. So stuff like the Eyes Turned Skywards parts take precedence.

makes sense, the ETS is amazing and im happy to see it in the mod

i have been able to land my custom Jamestown i made in ksp using the BDB LM engines, it was really easy to control as long as you use the RCS 
https://prnt.sc/10s3ya7

1 hour ago, TruthfulGnome said:

makes sense, the ETS is amazing and im happy to see it in the mod

i have been able to land my custom Jamestown i made in ksp using the BDB LM engines, it was really easy to control as long as you use the RCS 
https://prnt.sc/10s3ya7

What mod did you use for the "porch"?

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm not making Jarvis. Please stop answering for me.

What's about Comet? It's dual F-1A boosters and fat S-IV third stage will have a lot of use

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/z/zflohllv.gif

Booster can be use for Saturn V 24L, or as a first stage for Saturn I. 3rd stage tank can also be use for Nerva Saturn V

Stage 1 tank is just stretched S-IC and turn engine mount 45° with no fin

Stage 2 I also stretched S-II with a new engine mount for 6 J-2S

Edited by derega16

6 hours ago, derega16 said:

What's about Comet? It's dual F-1A boosters and fat S-IV third stage will have a lot of use

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/z/zflohllv.gif

Booster can be use for Saturn V 24L, or as a first stage for Saturn I. 3rd stage tank can also be use for Nerva Saturn V

Stage 1 tank is just stretched S-IC and turn engine mount 45° with no fin

Stage 2 I also stretched S-II with a new engine mount for 6 J-2S

More or less planned? The S-II mount variants and tank stretches certainly. I don't know when/if I'd get to the 10m S-IVB - simply because it wouldn't share... a ton? with the other stuff. Things like stretched S-1C and S-II tanks are easy since I can just add more horizontal sections to lengthen them. A 10m S-IVB would take a bit more work... I'd maybe be able to reuse the S-II's top endcap but not the sides since the S-II has so many extra greebles. And the engine mount would be borderline all-new.

In general that's what's driving what gets done, and what doesn't, for the initial Saturn revamp. I'm looking for opportunities to get more out of the parts I'm making - I can make the tank switches for the different S-1C and S-II lengths with essentially no time or effort, for example. But that will add a lot of functionality. Similarly, engine mounts variants I can easily make by cutting up and rearranging the parts (hopefully the S-II goes this way, the S-IC probably can't) will hopefully make it into the initial revamp.

The boosters, I actually have a decent reference for... well, A LRB.

XeJ8ZGl.jpg

14 hours ago, derega16 said:

Some suggestions, mesh S-IVB interstage for some Saturn variety with S-IVB inside S-II sized fairing. Or at least unpainted one with separation solid removed.

Good idea. Not worth worrying about quite yet but we'll see if Zorg can make a 10m SAF fairing. We'd need it for INT-21 anyways.

14 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

It’s a different green, slightly darker and much less saturated (max colour saturation on texture is something like 6%). Soviet Green, especially on their crewed capsules, is quite vibrant in comparison. The green is also reminiscent of the field colour scheme of Redstone’s predecessor the V-2/Aggregat 4.

14 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

I know the green isn't quite right for the typical Soviet green, and the tank shape isn't right either, but this was done at the start of a career mode game, and the Redstone parts seemed like good choices; they're cheaper than the Tantares R-7 parts, and better suited to smaller satellites.

The green on the Redstone parts was meant to emulate the olive drab green used on the missile variants, since it was retained for most of the Redstone Spartas

BRniEoo.jpg

19 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Hey @CobaltWolf, How far will the Saturn update go? Will we get stuff like Saturn IC and Multibody updates?

My goal with the Saturn update is to get back to parity with parts currently available in the mod. So once the historical parts are done, existing parts like the ETS Saturns and AJ-260s have priority over stuff that isn't currently in the mod.

Incidentally, this is why the Saturn parts haven't been added to since the AJ-260 was released - I knew I wanted to remake the Saturn from scratch, so I didn't want to waste time putting in stuff like S-1D that I'd just have to redo.

Myself and Zorg briefly discussed cutting a release once the historical parts were done, and essentially just leaving the then-obsolete alt history parts out of the mod for a release until they're remade. Personally I think once the historical stuff is done, the rest of the existing Saturn/Apollo stuff will be easy to finish. But if people have feelings on that let us know.

As always, stuff will be available on Github as it gets in game for people that don't care about their saves :) In the interest of setting expectations, I just want to make it clear that even the basic Saturn V is nowhere near done - I've been focusing on the biggest/most obvious bits first for texturing. There's a ton left like all the endcaps and such.

UPDATE - BDB v 1.7.2 "огромный"

HeadPoster.png?width=1434&height=807

IMAGE GALLERY

DOWNLOAD (SpaceDock)

Bluedog Design Bureau v1.7.2 is now live! Featuring KH9 Hexagon, Mariner10, Strawman, TIMBER WIND nuclear engines, Transit2A+Grab and more!

Big thanks to all the contributors, the screenshots gang and of course all BDB users :) 

Changelog:

New content and Features
- KH9 Hexagon with new MKIV reentry vehicle.
- Mariner 10 probe.
- Transit 2A and GRAB probes.
- Strawman probe.
- OSCAR-1 probe.
- SNAP 3 and SNAP 19 RTGs.
- Waterfall is now a soft dependency and default handler for liquid engines plumes. RealPlume can still be installed for better sea level SRBs. (thanks to Dylan Semrau, Knight of St John and Katniss for important contributions).
- Waterfall is now bundled together, mandatory for CKAN installs, optional for manual installs.
- Full support for all liquid engines and RCS for Waterfall.
- New SAF fairings: Atlas II MPF, Delta IV composite, Peackeeper, Athena, Minotaur, POPPY, Strawman.
- Dual payload adapters for Delta II and Delta IV/Atlas V.
- Delta IV size stretch for 4m DCSS.
- ICPS stretch for 5m DCSS.
- Atlas booster skirt auto jettison feature. Enable in VAB and choose desired G limit for auto staging.
- Timber Wind 75 nuclear engine (by Maffif).
- Timber Wind 45 nuclear engine.
- Some remote tech compatibility updates (from LaurentyB and SpacedInvader).
- Connected Life Support compatibility (from Morphisor).
- Neptune Camera configs (by Orbital Maneuvers & zakkpaz ).
- New running engine sound (from Katniss).
- New running engine sound (from Beale).
- Scidef flavour text updates (by Ordinary Kerman).
- Additional craft files for new spacecraft (Friznit).
- 3.125m to 2.5m structural adapter based on DCSS interstage. (by Pickled Tripod).
- Optional integration with System Heat in BDB_Extras for nuclear engines. Enables Heat and reactor management.
- Compatibility with SpaceDust for OAO telescope parts.
- Revised textures and new variants for GEM SRBs.
- Basic support for KSP 1.11 inventory and cargo. (hopefully in a backwards compatible way)

Bug fixes
- Apollo contract (Morphisor)
- Thrust Buff patch in Extras (MotokiKun)
- Vega engine textures
- Removed extraneous modules from craft files
- Resolve B9PS solar panel issues with Kerbalism and Kopernicus (Hemeac)
- All SAF fairing bases now surface attachable (can be used to place conformal decals on fairings by placing on base and then offsetting)
- Patch to resolve minimum mass issues in KSP 1.11 onwards
- make shared upgrade nodes (mainly probe cores), resistant to breaking if part folders are pruned. Bluedog_DB/Parts/Shared must never be deleted.
- Fixes to various craft files
- Fix Apollo docking lights for KSP 1.11
- Fix LDC structural adapters so they function as described with respect to optional decoupling and crossfeed toggle.
- Fix Tempel Ion Engine overheating

Other
- Previously soft deprecated parts in BDB 1.7.0 permanently deleted.
- Update bundled B9 Partswitch to v2.18.0
- Update bundled Simple Adjustable Fairings to v1.12.0

PosterTemplate.png?width=537&height=806

PosterTemplate2.png?width=537&height=806

PosterTemplate3.png?width=537&height=806

PosterTemplate4.png?width=537&height=806

Grr, this had to drop just as I decided on my morning drive to downgrade to 1.10 for my new start...  So I have a couple of questions to help me make up my mind, if some of you could help.

I've been building up my modlist under 1.11.2, and thought I had everything ready to go last night, only to realize I had forgot Tweakscale.  So when I look into it, I see that the author over there says it's not supported under the most recent version.  My question is, has anyone had any issues with Tweakscale in regards to BDB and 1.11.2?  I believe the issue with TS was something with vehicle recovery and funds, which wouldn't matter much since I'm going to be playing in sandbox mode anyway.  I'm looking to downgrade in order to make sure I have a stable build, but I'd be missing out on some sweet new parts in the process (unless BDB 1.7.2 would be backwards compatible), as well as a few other of my go to mods not being 1.11 compatible yet.

Either way, this is an amazing mod, with great people behind it!  Thanks for all the hard work!

11 minutes ago, Ghostshark27 said:

Grr, this had to drop just as I decided on my morning drive to downgrade to 1.10 for my new start...  So I have a couple of questions to help me make up my mind, if some of you could help.

I've been building up my modlist under 1.11.2, and thought I had everything ready to go last night, only to realize I had forgot Tweakscale.  So when I look into it, I see that the author over there says it's not supported under the most recent version.  My question is, has anyone had any issues with Tweakscale in regards to BDB and 1.11.2?  I believe the issue with TS was something with vehicle recovery and funds, which wouldn't matter much since I'm going to be playing in sandbox mode anyway.  I'm looking to downgrade in order to make sure I have a stable build, but I'd be missing out on some sweet new parts in the process (unless BDB 1.7.2 would be backwards compatible), as well as a few other of my go to mods not being 1.11 compatible yet.

Either way, this is an amazing mod, with great people behind it!  Thanks for all the hard work!

I cant speak to tweakscale as I havent used it in a while but this release should be backwards compatible with KSP back to 1.8.1.

Do note that stock type fairings are broken in 1.10.0 but ok in 1.10.1

Also worth noting a lot of the new stuff dont have tweakscale configs. I havent had the time or frankly motivation to maintain them recently being quite preoccupied with various other things so we would definitely appreciate a PR from someone to update those :)

3 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Just so you know, the RL10s have all lost their textures with the recent update (probably because those files along with some Centaur stuff were moved over to OldParts).

Whoops thats what I get for a last minute change. I'll push a hotfix in a while in case there are other issues.