[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

12 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Some more texturing progress for Pegasus:

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Capture.png

Very nice work Invader!

Also, I could never find out if Pegasus had any attitude control or whether it had some passive stabilisation like gravity-gradient. The S-IV didn't have any RCS as far as I remember, did they put in any RCS for Pegasus?

34 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Very nice work Invader!

Also, I could never find out if Pegasus had any attitude control or whether it had some passive stabilisation like gravity-gradient. The S-IV didn't have any RCS as far as I remember, did they put in any RCS for Pegasus?

This website states that Pegasus didn't have anything in the way of attitude control, it would just track it's orientation while it slowly tumbled in space. https://www.drewexmachina.com/2015/02/16/50-years-ago-today-the-launch-of-apollo-a-103pegasus-1/

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

"Active Seismic Experiment" aka a mortar, used on Apollo 14 and 16

2Nxn5ZA.png
iaIa7lt.png

This seriously turned out better than I thought it would... and I watched most of the stream and thought it looked amazing when I had to leave...

W!

O!

W!

On the other hand....

22 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

l93LsFD.png

Be the Fargo!  PUSH THE BUTTON!

from the show famously miss-called "Urethra !" while filming a scene!

8 hours ago, Jcking said:

This website states that Pegasus didn't have anything in the way of attitude control, it would just track it's orientation while it slowly tumbled in space. https://www.drewexmachina.com/2015/02/16/50-years-ago-today-the-launch-of-apollo-a-103pegasus-1/

Correct. Technically speaking, the mass distribution and shape of the satellite would likely cause it to become semi gravity gradient stabilized, but I am unsure to what extent. 

5 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

Would you consider making these usable as radiators?

I thought about doing some other parts utilizing the mesh for the Pegasus MM Panels, but I'm pretty burnt out on Pegasus and the texture sheet is pretty much full so if I do any alternate stuff with it, it will be later.

10 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

Would you consider making these usable as radiators?

4 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Correct. Technically speaking, the mass distribution and shape of the satellite would likely cause it to become semi gravity gradient stabilized, but I am unsure to what extent. 

I thought about doing some other parts utilizing the mesh for the Pegasus MM Panels, but I'm pretty burnt out on Pegasus and the texture sheet is pretty much full so if I do any alternate stuff with it, it will be later.

Also worth considering we will get fold out radiators with the Skylab power tower.

UraBUJo.png

Just tested out the J-class lunar mission profile. There are a lot of screenshots so the full report is in a spoiler.

Spoiler

vy4QYia.png

JQ67rwv.png

ymY1orq.png

Ignition.

Pr98FX4.png

Liftoff.

txZVD8F.png

EQfA5cj.png

jmD9RTF.png

kdLOSd7.png

First stage cutoff and separation, second stage ignition.

oaBPQhm.png

NpwSD3p.png

Launch Escape System jettison.

Q4Qhuft.png

CWzEcSU.png

Second stage cutoff and separation, third stage ignition. If I remember correctly this is supposed to be a single burn directly to a lunar trajectory (please correct me if I'm wrong); in practise getting a free return trajectory with Principia is extremely precise in terms of timing and delta-v expenditure and it would've taken me more time than I was willing to expend on a test if I were to determine the correct launch time and Mechjeb PVG configuration.

xHX6BSw.png

Command/Service Module separation.

ERTCy9u.png

Translation and docking maneuver.

J5doPM1.png

Lunar module extraction.

z5My3Rv.png

It takes a couple of days to transfer to the Mun. This mission test has helped me to determine the right amount of life support to put in the Apollo command module when writing Kerbalism configs.

A2hU6Qi.png

Lunar insertion maneuver took place in the dark. The spacecraft was successfully placed into a 50km near-circular lunar orbit.

gWafvTX.png

The crew transfer to the lunar module and undock from the command/service module. This definitely went well the first time and I certainly didn't accidentally jettison the active docking port when trying to undock it on my first attempt.

1vByk80.png

Starting the landing burn.

3POGEA7.png

E2FXavL.png

uHF3b2f.png

l1yh84k.png

And that is a successful lunar landing.

GWpdsAB.png

Apologies for the odd lighting on the lunar surface, I hadn't intended to land directly under the sun but I misjudged the landing location.

wPth61T.png

I'm only now realizing while typing up this report that I should probably add an inventory cargo part to this rover kitbash.

HYzyfm0.png

You'll probably notice a certain something is mssing from these lunar surface activities. I look forward to the new ALSEP parts being finished; they'll be a nice addition to the mod.

jzCHPDm.png

Ignition of the ascent module engine to begin the return to orbit.

WYL1IL3.png

UGJUafS.png

And orbit is successfully achieved.

LWsNB11.png

M2lASJ1.png

Following a sequence of rendezvous maneuvers, the ascent module returns to the main spacecraft and both prepare to dock.

xPBtxLv.png

The continued presence of the active docking mechanism allowed the docking maneuver to be successful.

GnHwn2D.png

Following crew transfer, the two spacecraft separate.

Ua5orzv.png

Ncc3unn.png

I forgot to do this until the end of the mission, but I did want to demonstrate the payload of the service module, including the subsatellite.

xoiqvKJ.png

Following the return maneuver, which also occurred in the dark, the spacecraft begins the return to Kerbin.

SA5jzZr.png

rLVkP7H.png

E08jpUY.png

tc6FYcA.png

Service module jettison in preparation for atmospheric entry.

2Neyn6X.png

qqOGPAM.png

fad48n7.png

s9Hom33.png

gVzhkX1.png

ORbUUkO.png

Overall I'm extremely impressed by the attention to detail in the revamped Apollo and Saturn parts. The parts look great, the staging is good, and there are so many small details that massively improve the experience (the fact that the service module antenna actually tracks Kerbin is a very nice touch and something I wasn't even aware was possible in this game).

In terms of balance, the Saturn V vehicle is somewhat overpowered for this mission profile in JNSQ. First stage at 80% fuel means that the first two stages are good to get the rest into orbit while saving the third stage entirely for the lunar transfer. The fully-fueled S-IVB has about 30% more delta-v than it really needs to reach the Mun from this point. Overall though I think the larger-than-strictly-necessary delta-v margins are reasonable given how the highly-efficient trajectories I use in testing with Mechjeb are difficult to achieve when flying manually as many players do. The margin of the Apollo service module is a bit more strict, but that's not really a problem since it still has enough fuel to account for less-than-optimal maneuvers. The delta-v of the lander stages is definitely overkill, but much like ascending to orbit, a landing isn't the easiest thing to do with good efficiency when flying manually. I think in general it's all very well balanced for casual play.

One thing I would like to see, if possible, is the option to auto-cut the drogue chutes on the command module at a set altitude.

Spoiler

HEAETTn.png

Like I said earlier, I definitely didn't accidentally jettison the active docking mechanism when trying to undock the lunar module on my first attempt at this...

37 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

One thing: I saw this weird shadows at some parts. I had this same issue in JNSQ. Do you use TUFX? I recommend to not use the standard profile which are causing this shadows

I don't think TUFX is the problem, I'm pretty sure it's kopernicus, with the latest releases I get this weird shadow but when I downgrade it the problem disappears (to fix this problem I'm using version-75 btw) 

16 minutes ago, Ares27 said:

I don't think TUFX is the problem, I'm pretty sure it's kopernicus, with the latest releases I get this weird shadow but when I downgrade it the problem disappears (to fix this problem I'm using version-75 btw) 

Yes, you`re right. It was Kopernicus. Latest version which I use ist Build 70.
But there are also some shadow-issues too with TUFX and the standard-profiles.

16 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

But there are also some shadow-issues too with TUFX and the standard-profiles.

For me, this particular issue only happens in flight when you switch to map view. Can usually be solved by switching to another profile, then back again. For me, it happens with profiles that use AO. 

However, referring the screenshots above, I get those same mushy shadows on some parts whenever I don't set scatterer to Very High preset. I think that sets up the Long Distance Shadow settings. (of course then there's AA but that's another issue).

2 hours ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

So i'm using conformal decals, and on the Mercury capsule and most of the other capsules have a weird transparent like coming out of them, usually from the RCS ports. Can anyone confirm if it IS conformal decals and if there is a way to fix it?

Yes, it is definitely Conformal Decals causing the issue. The Mercury spacecraft is very sensitive as to where the decal is placed in relation to the roll thrusters. The decal can not be too close to the thruster or it will cause the stick-like artifact to extend from it. I reviewed how I had placed the decal and found that I actually had them too low and in the wrong positions. I raised and repositioned them in accordance with historical photos and I was successful in eliminating the stick, at least in part. See below:

Spoiler

C4wMqmQ.png

qz6Piro.png

Each had to be placed individually as mirroring did not put them in the right spot. This allowed me to place the flag in the first image without causing the stick. However, I could not place a flag on the other side where the photos showed it to be without causing the stick. I will just leave it off. To me it is less irritating than seeing that stick. I do not know what causes it, I just found how to eliminate it.