[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, Zorg said:

Lol no worries. Was just wondering if you had somehow missed out on the Timberwind engines. 

Yeah i remember now that they came in :) but i think i haven´t used them yet because i had to reinstall KSP multiple times since then and i had to start new save´s (and 1-2 Phases when i didn´t played KSP at all because of my University-activities) ..... i just haden´t have that level of technology yet, thanks for reminding me to them :):)

Was fiddling around and making a small part for Agena, its horizon sensor. It's a little hard to see, but it's the pair of "bulges" on the sides of the Agena D Avionics as seen here:

Capture.PNG

These flew on every Agena D mission. Also it seems like pretty much every Agena D mission had half of its avionics unit painted white? this will likely be coming in the near future. Anyways, those little greebles (one of which is already seen in the BDB Agena B tank mesh) are aerodynamic shrouds which were jettisoned in flight to reveal the horizon scanners. Here's what I have so far:

screenshot479.png
screenshot477.png

screenshot478.png

Will have a white, black, and metal variant. Will also sort out compatibility with Agena B later.

screenshot484.png
screenshot487.png
screenshot488.png
screenshot489.png

The Agena split paint variant (the historical configuration for most Agena D flights) is now on github for the tank and the avionics, along with the horizon sensor. Additionally, Agena B's tank mesh used to have the sensor shroud built into it, it is now removed to allow the horizon sensor to be placed where it should be. With the sensor, it is aesthetically identical to how it used to be at launch. The attach is a little janky on the horizon sensor and I will fix it tomorrow.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:07 PM, Pappystein said:

If anyone has a link to an Actual Marshal Space Flight Center / AMBA Preliminary design report for the C-3 I would be much obliged

Late reply so you may not need this anymore, but does this one help?
https://web.archive.org/web/20100515071742/http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740076058_1974076058.pdf
It's a 750 pages document called "LARGE LAUNCH VEHICLE SYSTEM FOR A MANNED LUNAR LANDING PROGRAM" and is dated 1961, when skimming through it I saw there was stuff like the pics below which reminded me of your commentunknown.png
unknown.png
As well as solid first stage variants
unknown.png

4 hours ago, Beccab said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100515071742/http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740076058_1974076058.pdf
It's a 750 pages document called "LARGE LAUNCH VEHICLE SYSTEM FOR A MANNED LUNAR LANDING PROGRAM" and is dated 1961, when skimming through it I saw there was stuff like the pics below which reminded me of your commentunknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

wait, so did C-3s 2nd stage use seperate bulkheads?

5 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

screenshot484.png
screenshot487.png
screenshot488.png
screenshot489.png

The Agena split paint variant (the historical configuration for most Agena D flights) is now on github for the tank and the avionics, along with the horizon sensor. Additionally, Agena B's tank mesh used to have the sensor shroud built into it, it is now removed to allow the horizon sensor to be placed where it should be. With the sensor, it is aesthetically identical to how it used to be at launch. The attach is a little janky on the horizon sensor and I will fix it tomorrow.

would it be possible that we could get optional (toggleable) attachment nodes on the agena tank for the horizon scanners? because right now, since I think most people here already have many seperate craft files with agena B/D, it would be a bit annoying to guess for every single one where to place it. If we would get an attachment node, we could just attach it, so it's the same on every craft, without need to revamp every single agena craft file

2 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Uhhh? Somethings definitely not right with your switches. There should be a lot more than 3 possible switches. Do you have a mod that modifies your agena switches?

Yeah it looks like he has Bellabong's TU configs installed, the mod kinda messes with all of the textures and hasn't been updated since September so it wouldn't be able to support the changes you made to the textures.

8 minutes ago, Adam-Kerman said:

so this happens with the Agena and with all new placed Agena Parts

3 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Yeah it looks like he has Bellabong's TU configs installed, the mod kinda messes with all of the textures and hasn't been updated since September so it wouldn't be able to support the changes you made to the textures.

want Gamedata List?

13 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Ah, thats right, hadn’t though of that. I’ll look into a solution for this. I don’t think it would be able to be on my end though.

10 minutes ago, Adam-Kerman said:

want Gamedata List?

No worries, reply above made me recall that the Agena TU mod depends on Agena switches 

4 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

would it be possible that we could get optional (toggleable) attachment nodes on the agena tank for the horizon scanners? because right now, since I think most people here already have many seperate craft files with agena B/D, it would be a bit annoying to guess for every single one where to place it. If we would get an attachment node, we could just attach it, so it's the same on every craft, without need to revamp every single agena craft file

Hmm… not sure. The problem is that the attach is different on 3 different variations of Agena. On Agena B it’s a single on the back center of the main tank. On Agena D it’s 2 mirrored on the back of the avionics each 35-40 degrees from the center. On GATV it’s on the materials bay. It would be a little infeasible to add nodes for  three separate parts. It’s not a really *essential* part for Agena, as it can function without it, but for those who want it, it can be used.

For all Agena D, it’s pretty easy to line up where to place it, it’s height corresponds with the avionics unit, and it’s mirrored on the back (the white side of split avionics unit) between 30-45 degrees apart.

Edited by Invaderchaos

4 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

Just make a new Agena craft file with the new horizon scanners, delete the old Agena from every craft that it is a constituent of, and replace it with the new one.

10 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Did the Agena A's use these, where were they mounted?

I'm having fun with this pack so far, even if some of the stuff is a little wonky (but that's probably just me not knowing how to use some of it, or slightly incorrect info somewhere).

I do have a question. I've landed on the Mun now with the Sina, but another part of the Apollo program was the rover. How am I going to bring one with the Sina? In Apollo it was in one of the cargo bays on the descent stage I believe, and unpacked from there, but I don't think KSP is going to let me pack an entire rover (or even just the parts for it) in the inventory slots.

12 hours ago, Beccab said:

It's a 750 pages document called "LARGE LAUNCH VEHICLE SYSTEM FOR A MANNED LUNAR LANDING PROGRAM" and is dated 1961, when skimming through it I saw there was stuff like the pics below which reminded me of your comment

Yes thanks that was one of the documents I was looking for.   There is an actual "Preliminary Design Review Saturn C-3" but I can't find it anywhere.    I would prefer that document (Since this one references that... but if I have to go off of second tier sources.......)

PS I found it myself LAST NIGHT and was going to post when I got home today... so you beat me too it :D

7 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

At the time when these drawings were done (mid 1961) both the C-2 and the C-3 have separate bulkheads.   it was only latter (1963?!) that NAA figured out the efficiency of the shared bulkhead and solved the issues of it.

the C-2 PDR shows similar spacing between the LOX and LH2 tanks.

Oh and for what it is worth.   S-V (that is Saturn-Centaur) and S-IV for C-1, C-2 and C-3 at this juncture were all planned with jettosnable insulation and in every case the insulation would jettison ONLY on stage ignition.  

Saturn-Centaur stage is not a Centaur-D and is NOT a Balloon tank, the skin is 3 to 5x thicker than Centaur D's.

Edited by Pappystein

29 minutes ago, silvermistshadow said:

I'm having fun with this pack so far, even if some of the stuff is a little wonky (but that's probably just me not knowing how to use some of it, or slightly incorrect info somewhere).

I do have a question. I've landed on the Mun now with the Sina, but another part of the Apollo program was the rover. How am I going to bring one with the Sina? In Apollo it was in one of the cargo bays on the descent stage I believe, and unpacked from there, but I don't think KSP is going to let me pack an entire rover (or even just the parts for it) in the inventory slots.

in the B9ps window for the decent stage theres an option for the "J" class configuration, which leaves one of the sections open for you to build a rover in, you'll need to make the robotic deployment and unfolding mechanism yourself. there was a rover build shared a few pages back as well,

22 minutes ago, x170doom said:

in the B9ps window for the decent stage theres an option for the "J" class configuration, which leaves one of the sections open for you to build a rover in, you'll need to make the robotic deployment and unfolding mechanism yourself. there was a rover build shared a few pages back as well,

I think I found the build, but when I tried to load it, it uh, looks like it was made for Kerbalism, so I can't use it currently. Guess I'll just make my own. I don't see any configs for the descent stage like that (there's a switch for fuel though of course), and I couldn't find anything in research about that either.

Edited by silvermistshadow

28 minutes ago, silvermistshadow said:

I think I found the build, but when I tried to load it, it uh, looks like it was made for Kerbalism, so I can't use it currently. Guess I'll just make my own. I don't see any configs for the descent stage like that (there's a switch for fuel though of course), and I couldn't find anything in research about that either.

hmm. it should be there, are you using the latest release or apollo-saturn revamp?