[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

18 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

An Atlas V revamp would be nice after the Apollo-Saturn update. They look a little dated to say the least.

It’s been a second since I’ve been on the forums and posted something, but I second this. An atlas V revamp would be awesome.

4 hours ago, CollectingSP said:

It’s been a second since I’ve been on the forums and posted something, but I second this. An atlas V revamp would be awesome.

It's already planned after the full Apollo release ;) Zorg has brought it up many times

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Is it? I thought it was only for the early Atlas models.

I won't speak for Zorg.  But my opinion:  Titan IV  Atlas V's core stage is mostly still more than just good.   However the Centaur/Payload area needs work.  Mostly because of some lack of modern features (that is the biggest problem with the Titan IV CCB as well...  Nodes for SRMs would be good on that.)   The Centaur stage needs some Love too.   But most of the love for Centaur involves improving part to part interface (even if a new part is needed) and allowing for our exapanded knowledge of Centaur to be properly integrated.   EG Centaur C/E for Saturn, Gamma, Centaur D.2, D.3 and D.4 and Centaur D.1T   A Centaur D.1R would be nice for the SOCKs but I won't hold my breath for that :D

Conversely REAL Atlas that is NOT a Titan IV that is poorly renamed, is in need of major work.  First off, we can do shiny now.   Secondly there are a lot of little niggling things that just don't hold up.   Much was learned by Cobalt Wolf and Company during the construction of the Titan family and beyond.

About the only part of Real Atlas that can remain mostly static:   Configurations for the engines.

@TaintedLion @CollectingSP @TruthfulGnome @SpaceFace545 

@Zorg Already has an Atlas revamp planned, yes, though it will only be "classic Atlas", so Atlas Able through to Atlas I, and it won't touch the tanks much safe for new UV for texture reasons. You can see the revamp roadmap here in the issue on github: Atlas · Issue #974 · CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau · GitHub

I agree that Atlas V could use some love, but IIRC @CobaltWolf has said he's actually happy with the way Atlas V is.  That and IIRC, Atlas V was kind of just thrown in for the heck of it.

Edited by GoldForest

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@TaintedLion @CollectingSP @TruthfulGnome @SpaceFace545 

@Zorg Already has an Atlas revamp planned, yes, though it will only be "classic Atlas", so Atlas Able through to Atlas I, and it won't touch the tanks much safe for new UV for texture reasons. You can see the revamp roadmap here in the issue on github: Atlas · Issue #974 · CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau · GitHub

I agree that Atlas V could use some love, but IIRC @CobaltWolf has said he's actually happy with the way Atlas V is. 

I'm sorry, but I never expected to see the words "classic" and "Atlas-Able" in the same sentence, no matter the reason. Thank you for supplying my nightmare fuel for tonight.

11 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I'm sorry, but I never expected to see the words "classic" and "Atlas-Able" in the same sentence, no matter the reason. Thank you for supplying my nightmare fuel for tonight.

We can deny it all we want, but Atlas-Able is technically a classic. 

5 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Is it? I thought it was only for the early Atlas models.

5 hours ago, TruthfulGnome said:

It's already planned after the full Apollo release ;) Zorg has brought it up many times

Might not have mentioned it here, but I actually have been planning to totally redo Atlas V/later centaur. Not sure when this is gonna start but I’ll likely be my next big project.

also, extremely WIP, but I’m making a shuttle-blanket inspired/modern style texture variant for the CM:

Capture.PNG
no normals yet.

4 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Might not have mentioned it here, but I actually have been planning to totally redo Atlas V/later centaur. Not sure when this is gonna start but I’ll likely be my next big project.

also, extremely WIP, but I’m making a shuttle-blanket inspired/modern style texture variant for the CM:

Capture.PNG
no normals yet.

So we got Zorg doing "Classic" Atlas and you doing "Modern" Atlas? Sweet! Can't wait for that! I know there's a mod for it, which has kind of stalled/semi-died, but are you going to do Centaur V too?  I feel like it would be great to have the whole Centaur family in BDB, but totally understand if you aren't/don't want to do it. 

Also, that modern Apollo looks really nice! It looks like you're doing a ceramic tile heat shield as well from the looks of it. 

20 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Capture.PNG
no normals yet.

Petition for every single part to have a shuttle blanket texture variant

Stuck a Big G on top of SLS?  Horrible but awesome.

Throwing my opinion out there on post-Saturn revamp projects:  I've just started working on a fairings and interstage guide and if nothing else it would be great to see some of the older interstages & adapters brought up to speed with the recent modelling & config techniques.  There are several parts that I reckon could be rationalised  and simplified using B9 Partswitch, reducing part count and making finding the right bit in a busy part menu a bit more logical.

As for proliferation of Centaur types - my view based on trying to write simple guides for rocket building is that there's little value in adding different models unless they have a material impact on gameplay.  Many real life variants only changed internals, which aren't modelled in KSP anyway and adding them all just complicates an already confusing evolution of rocket designs

30 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Jupiter, used apollo csm for the CEV.

Nope. Not Jupiter. Though, CEV was proposed for use in this concept. But you are correct in that I am using the Apollo CSM. 

29 minutes ago, Friznit said:

Stuck a Big G on top of SLS?  Horrible but awesome.

Nope. Not SLS, nor is it Big G. 

29 minutes ago, Friznit said:

As for proliferation of Centaur types - my view based on trying to write simple guides for rocket building is that there's little value in adding different models unless they have a material impact on gameplay.  Many real life variants only changed internals, which aren't modelled in KSP anyway and adding them all just complicates an already confusing evolution of rocket designs

Centaur V is a completely new Centaur though. Increased size, better engines, etc. I'm not asking for ALL centaurs, just this one specifically because I feel it would be good at home here, and we can use it on top of LDC Titan. 

Edited by GoldForest

3 minutes ago, BNSF1995 said:

I don't think Cormorant is compatible with 1.12.3, though.

And here's a new guess: the National Launch System from 1991.

It is, using it now. It's a part mod that relies on dependencies and the dependencies are at least 1.12 compatiable. Just make sure to get the latest MM and the latest Firespitter DLL. 

As for your guess, nope, sorry. 

Edited by GoldForest

44 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

This is much better and up to date, also pairs perfectly with SOCK.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2472/Project EOC(WIP)

I know RogerWang just got back from conscription, so work will be resuming on it sooner than later.

1 hour ago, BNSF1995 said:

I don't think Cormorant is compatible with 1.12.3, though.

And here's a new guess: the National Launch System from 1991.

I thought @EStreetRocketswas really into NLS

For my 2c, I don't have any plans for stuff outside Apollo/Saturn moving forward. Not to say other stuff won't happen, but it's not on my personal radar.

6 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Capture.PNG
no normals yet.

Jwkx7Cj.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Capture.PNG
no normals yet.

It's looking like what Kane was in the early version of BDB