[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, derega16 said:

It's looking like what Kane was in the early version of BDB

10 minutes ago, Galileo chiu said:

what did it look like?

lzVF6l8.png

Also: Whoo! Welcome to 993 ladies and gents! Can we just speed run to page 1000 by everyone just spamming random BDB images one after the other?

Edited by GoldForest

15 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

A little more progress on the Shuttle-Esque Apollo variant:

Capture.PNG

This looks awesome, I think it would fit in for the early CEV concepts. Maybe increase the number of tiles since this is looking suspiciously similar to the MK1-3 capsule. :sticktongue:

Anybody else ever had this problem with the Skylab airlock? I was able to enter the station through the hatch but couldn't exit from it.

y2EIu3W.png

Also an unrelated problem (probably related to Kerbalism, not BDB) is that the nitrogen usage on the station is waaay higher than it should be. I'm losing literally hundreds or thousands of liters per minute unless I shut off access to every nitrogen tank onboard. I know some people here also use Kerbalism in conjunction with BDB so I figured I'd ask this here as well.

UPDATE

Bluedog Design Bureau v1.10.0 "тролл"
I'm excited to announce the BDB v1.10 update! Over the last two weeks I have been secretly working behind the scenes to make never before seen highly requested sets of parts! I tried my best to keep this under wraps to surprise everyone, I hope y'all enjoy this update!!

BzRk1ul.png
Image credit: Araym

K7iPyQm.png

unknown.png

DOWNLOAD [GitHub]

DOWNLOAD [SpaceDock]

v1.10.0 "тролл"

New Content and Features
- Saturn Nova Rocket
- Pegasus Upper Stage (ETS)
- Pioneer Venus (finally)
- KH-11
- Big Apollo
- Small Gemini
- Bigger Gemini
- Rogallo Gemini
- Added Soyuz Parts
- 15 new single part satellites that no one has ever heard of before
- New delta blue paint variants for Saturn V parts

Updates and Enhancements
-
58 additional texture variants for agena to represent every single flown and unflown variant of Agena
- A new, sorely needed science part called a "magnetometer"! BDB has never featured this sort of experiment and we are excited to feature one after all this time
- All part descriptions and titles have been converted to the cyrillic alphabet for 'authenticity'.
- All tags have been removed to encourage creativity and exploration of our parts. Good luck trying to make historical craft!
- DDS compressed each texture file 3 times over to save 12 MB in file space. Hope you like your textures with a hefty side of green and purple pixels.

Bug fixes
Removed Delta IV (it is not a true Delta)
- Removed Herobrine

Edited by Invaderchaos

30 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

UPDATE

I'm excited to announce the BDB v1.10 update! Over the last two weeks I have been secretly working behind the scenes to make never before seen highly requested sets of parts! I tried my best to keep this under wraps to surprise everyone, I hope y'all enjoy this update!!

BzRk1ul.png

K7iPyQm.png

unknown.png

DOWNLOAD [GitHub]

DOWNLOAD [SpaceDock]

v1.10.0 "тролл"

New Content and Features
- Saturn Nova Rocket
- KH-11
- Big Apollo
- Small Gemini
- Bigger Gemini
- Rogallo Gemini
- Added Soyuz Parts

Updates and Enhancements
-
58 additional texture variants for agena to represent every single flown and unflown variant of Agena
- A new, sorely needed science part called a "magnetometer"! BDB has never featured this sort of experiment and we are excited to feature one after all this time
- All part descriptions and titles have been converted to the cyrillic alphabet for 'authenticity'.
- All tags have been removed to encourage creativity and exploration of our parts. Good luck trying to make historical craft!
- DDS compressed each texture file 3 times over to save 12 MB in file space. Hope you like your textures with a hefty side of green and purple pixels.

Bug fixes
- Removed Herobrine

This is a joke, sure, but that WIP picture of Pioneer Venus is ticking me off. It’s so close yet so far!

Edited by pTrevTrevs

1 minute ago, pTrevTrevs said:

This is a joke, sure, but that WIP picture of Pioneer Venus is ticking me off. It’s so close yet so far!

trust me... it's much, much, MUCH, farther than it looks. I tried to take a crack at it and after a day I gave up

Edited by Invaderchaos

1 minute ago, Invaderchaos said:

trust me... it's much, much, MUCH, farther than it looks. I tried to take a crack at it and after a day I gave up

Guess I can’t blame you. I’ve been working on a kitbash for myself and only after poring over orthographics and clean-room photos have I realized that the orbiter is a way more complicated spacecraft than it looks.

Not to mention the fact that I don’t think BDB even includes the solid kick-motor PVO used to enter Venusian orbit…

46 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

UPDATE

K7iPyQm.png

DOWNLOAD [GitHub]

DOWNLOAD [SpaceDock]

v1.10.0 "тролл"

New Content and Features
- Saturn Nova Rocket
- KH-11
- Big Apollo
- Small Gemini
- Bigger Gemini
- Rogallo Gemini
- Added Soyuz Parts

Updates and Enhancements
-

Bug fixes
- Removed Herobrine

Pfft, you really just ripped the ETS Pegasus image from the alternate history site? Didn't even attempt to make a fake blender render. :D

Btw, is the Shuttle Apollo an April Fools or is that real? Still wondering. 

7 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

A little more progress on the Shuttle-Esque Apollo variant:

Capture.PNG

omg heat tiles

2 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

UPDATE

BzRk1ul.png

K7iPyQm.png

unknown.png

DOWNLOAD [GitHub]

DOWNLOAD [SpaceDock]

v1.10.0 "тролл"

New Content and Features
- Saturn Nova Rocket
- KH-11
- Big Apollo
- Small Gemini
- Bigger Gemini
- Rogallo Gemini
- Added Soyuz Parts

Updates and Enhancements
-

Bug fixes
- Removed Herobrine

WGY

WGY

EGY

TODAY

WGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

APOLLO-SATURN REVAMP WOES PART 2:

I can't get the revamped Saturn IB OR Saturn IC to make it to a 165km orbit on a 2.5x system using KSRSS, launching a Block III CSM to an inclination of 32.5. After MECO and S-IB/S-IE separation, the S-IVB absolutely refuses to follow any of the turn shapes I create when editing the ascent path in MechJeb. It goes off on a new course, and as a result, either falls back to Earth, or the apoapsis gets to 165km BEHIND the rocket, and MechJeb shuts the engine off and activates timewarp to get to above the Karman line (in a 2.5x system, it's roughly around 90km).

It's clear that either I'm doing something wrong (I've taken the prior advice to use a turn shape between 60-75%, but no matter which shape I use in this range, the S-IVB won't follow; it may be that I'm staging too late, but I can't activate automatic staging in MechJeb because BDB has a bug that causes the rest of the vessel to stage in quick succession, regardless of any defined staging limits; manually launching is out of the question because it's too hard for me, and the one time I tried manually launching a revamped Saturn I with the BP Apollo, I got the apoapsis I wanted, but I didn't follow a very efficient profile and thus had too little fuel to circularize), or the Saturn engines were specifically designed for launching from Kerbin at the equator and not from Florida in KSRSS, and need to be tweaked to enable them to efficiently launch on a 2.5x KSRSS Earth before they go public.

Note that this mainly applies to whenever the smaller Saturn rockets are launching Apollo spacecraft (I haven't tested the Saturn V or Saturn INT-20 yet, but I assume they'll be fine); I can get LEO satellites into orbit with just a baseline Saturn I just fine, and for anything else like Surveyor or Mariner, I add 4-6 UA1205 SRBs (specifically for Mariner, I also add a Centaur-D to create a logical hybrid of the Saturn IB-CE and Saturn IB-D), which would help my Apollo issues, but I'm trying to stick to reality in my current roleplay of a personal alternate timeline based on the Kaiserreich mod for Hearts of Iron IV.

So, I learned that the Apollo Blk V fits comfortably in the Saturn payload adapter. 

bEOPx6a.jpg

So, if you need 10 kerbals launched at once for some reason, or you want to bring a life raft with you, you can do that. 

49 minutes ago, BNSF1995 said:

I can't get the revamped Saturn IB OR Saturn IC to make it to a 165km orbit on a 2.5x system using KSRSS, launching a Block III CSM to an inclination of 32.5. After MECO and S-IB/S-IE separation, the S-IVB absolutely refuses to follow any of the turn shapes I create when editing the ascent path in MechJeb. It goes off on a new course, and as a result, either falls back to Earth, or the apoapsis gets to 165km BEHIND the rocket, and MechJeb shuts the engine off and activates timewarp to get to above the Karman line (in a 2.5x system, it's roughly around 90km).

It's clear that either I'm doing something wrong (I've taken the prior advice to use a turn shape between 60-75%, but no matter which shape I use in this range, the S-IVB won't follow; it may be that I'm staging too late, but I can't activate automatic staging in MechJeb because BDB has a bug that causes the rest of the vessel to stage in quick succession, regardless of any defined staging limits; manually launching is out of the question because it's too hard for me, and the one time I tried manually launching a revamped Saturn I with the BP Apollo, I got the apoapsis I wanted, but I didn't follow a very efficient profile and thus had too little fuel to circularize), or the Saturn engines were specifically designed for launching from Kerbin at the equator and not from Florida in KSRSS, and need to be tweaked to enable them to efficiently launch on a 2.5x KSRSS Earth before they go public.

Note that this mainly applies to whenever the smaller Saturn rockets are launching Apollo spacecraft (I haven't tested the Saturn V or Saturn INT-20 yet, but I assume they'll be fine); I can get LEO satellites into orbit with just a baseline Saturn I just fine, and for anything else like Surveyor or Mariner, I add 4-6 UA1205 SRBs (specifically for Mariner, I also add a Centaur-D to create a logical hybrid of the Saturn IB-CE and Saturn IB-D), which would help my Apollo issues, but I'm trying to stick to reality in my current roleplay of a personal alternate timeline based on the Kaiserreich mod for Hearts of Iron IV.

Mechjeb will never follow the line precisely, unless you are very good at programming it that way. Honestly, I have no idea what you could be doing wrong. BDB is designed around a x2.5 Kerbin, so the engines and fuel are plenty good enough, or at least should be. I don't play KSRSS or RSS, only stock, so I can't really offer anything other than what I've heard others talk about.  Play around with the launch profile percentage is one thing I could suggest. 

Are you packing the CSM with tons of fuel? If you're only going to orbit and not rendezvousing or anything like that, you can empty a bit of the fuel, even set the SM to "Orbital" configuration. If you're launching the LM at the same time, dump the fuel from the descent stage and ascent stage, but Apollo shouldn't be more than a few hundred meters away, so don't have to worry about catching back up or anything like that. Weight is the Saturn I's worst enemy, no matter which version you use. Dump as much of it as possible. You can even try defueling the S-IVB a little. Some weight you can also save is on the Kerbals. Dump the parachutes from their backs and get rid of the thruster packs if you don't plan to EVA. Heat shield ablator is heavy too, so dump as much as you can while ensuring you have enough for reentry. 

4 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

UPDATE

BzRk1ul.png

K7iPyQm.png

unknown.png

DOWNLOAD [GitHub]

DOWNLOAD [SpaceDock]

v1.10.0 "тролл"

New Content and Features
- Saturn Nova Rocket
- KH-11
- Big Apollo
- Small Gemini
- Bigger Gemini
- Rogallo Gemini
- Added Soyuz Parts

Updates and Enhancements
-

Bug fixes
- Removed Herobrine

Never before have I been so offended by something that I thought was 100% hilarious XD

1 hour ago, BNSF1995 said:

I would highly recommend using mechjeb Prime Vector Guidance instead of Classic Ascent profile to manage your launch. PVG is based on real world guidance algorithms and uses a fixed pitch program initially followed by a closed loop guidance phase (iirc originally based on published Atlas centaur guidance but since refined into its own thing.)

Check the section I wrote on PVG in the wiki here including a dedicated section for Saturn IB. Make sure the SM is set to orbital config or it will be too heavy. Make sure to ditch the abort tower immediately after S4B staging as well. Saturn IB has been verified from equitorial launches (using the base engine configs) in JNSQ and Kennedy launches in KSRSS 2.5x using PVG. Re Saturn I and boiler plates I will try to test it today or tomorrow.

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Launching-and-Trajectories

With the current dev build I had verified these 

--IRL reference
Apollo 7, 227x301km, 31.6deg

Tested (orbits altitude above atmosphere is scaled for equivalency)

- Orbital config Apollo to LKO, JNSQ - KSC 120x120km 0 deg

- Orbital config Apollo to LKO, KSRSS 2.5x - Kennedy 128x146km 32 deg (TAC LS)

Edited by Zorg