[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

18 minutes ago, Jall said:

I agree. It's hard to find a good image of just the second stage, but right now it feels like yours is too clean in a way. (Also, definitely more obvious rivets)

the UV unwrap technique I had to use has made me a bit shy with the shading on these Titan tanks :(

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

I lean more. I guess if you add a subtle detail like that you would still want it to be visible at a slight distance rather than only right close up.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm leaning that way as well. This upper stage is still missing so much, mostly better shading...

2 hours ago, Jall said:

I agree. It's hard to find a good image of just the second stage, but right now it feels like yours is too clean in a way. (Also, definitely more obvious rivets)

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

the UV unwrap technique I had to use has made me a bit shy with the shading on these Titan tanks :(

So one reply for all of this..

For those not in the know, (correct me if I am wrong @CobaltWolf ) I think this is the 3rd texture for the upper stage.  It is behind the curve compared to the maturity of the lower stage.  I spent quite a bit of time watching it being made on Saturday/Sunday and it was enlightening to just how hard Cobaltwolf works to give you the art he does.   I HIGHLY suggest attending a DevStream of CobaltWolf's just to see the work that goes into a single part in this mod.   

Cobalt, it might be to shiney of a UV unwrap  but you haven't added your patented oily streaks etc yet correct?   Isn't that 3 or 4 steps further down the Texture road-map for you?   

I actually like the Shine on the high points as it looks more Non-Metallic Metal (NMM).   I think the UV unwrap for this has done you a favor for the metals...

After Dirt/Grime/Oil I hope the White will "snap in" and be more inline with how it looks.    I pray you don't have to adjust the luminosity of the base color of White you are using.

For those not in the know, NMM is a painting technique used by physical model builders to paint metal things with non metallic paint and have it look like it is metal.   

11 hours ago, Friznit said:

Minor thing, but please could you add UniversalStorage2 (or just a * I suppose) to NEEDS[UniversalStorage] in US compatability cfg?  I've tested US2 wedges in the Kane Blk2 and it mostly fits just fine.  Only the water tank clips ever so slightly into the sliding panels but that can be tweaked into behaving itself properly with judicous use of the pointy arrows tool.

Edit:  just seen the commit from Dec that tweaks the nodes slightly for US2, but for me the wedge brackets didn't show up until I edited the cfg to add a 2 in...

You are correct. I just missed that when fixing it for the new positions. The fix is to add the "2", in the mean time. It will be fixed in the mod in due course.

the clipping was minimized as much as I could. The new US2 wedges are not of uniform geometry, so some compromises had to be made.  

* won't work because the nodes moved :(

Edited by komodo

1 hour ago, Jall said:

Please allow me to compliment the designer of the Apollo capsule. The crew somehow managed to survive this unplanned disassembly :P

Sooo.... What you're saying is... You're not going to space today?

17 hours ago, komodo said:

You are correct. I just missed that when fixing it for the new positions. The fix is to add the "2", in the mean time. It will be fixed in the mod in due course.

the clipping was minimized as much as I could. The new US2 wedges are not of uniform geometry, so some compromises had to be made.  

* won't work because the nodes moved :(

Ohhhhhh I see now... would the easiest thing just be to basically duplicate the entire UniversalStorage compatibility and just add a 2 where appropriate? Nvm Jso already made a commit on Github

19 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Cobalt, it might be to shiney of a UV unwrap  but you haven't added your patented oily streaks etc yet correct?   Isn't that 3 or 4 steps further down the Texture road-map for you?   

I actually like the Shine on the high points as it looks more Non-Metallic Metal (NMM).   I think the UV unwrap for this has done you a favor for the metals...

After Dirt/Grime/Oil I hope the White will "snap in" and be more inline with how it looks.    I pray you don't have to adjust the luminosity of the base color of White you are using.

For those not in the know, NMM is a painting technique used by physical model builders to paint metal things with non metallic paint and have it look like it is metal.   

Uhm. I guess it still is. I haven't done a lot of hand painting to these parts yet.

I hope the white will snap in too, but I am using the base Restock white color. Part of the issue is that the Gemini service module's off-white isn't the same off-white. I might have to throw together a quick adjustment.

I don't think I intentionally do NMM painting, but I certainly do bake in some of the highlights.

13 hours ago, Jall said:

Please allow me to compliment the designer of the Apollo capsule. The crew somehow managed to survive this unplanned disassembly :P

11 hours ago, komodo said:

Sooo.... What you're saying is... You're not going to space today?

I don't think so, how'd you manage that? :)

2 hours ago, SimAndi said:

This is an awesome mod! I really love it. It would be nice if you'd add the LRV to the mod! I mean whats a propper Apollo mission without an LRV?

No plans for it right now, wheels are a right pain to get working in KSP and I don't see a good way to get it to work without using KIS/KAS, which I'd rather not have as a dependency.

In the meantime, there's @RoverDude's little PackRat rover which is pretty much the same thing :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, SimAndi said:

This is an awesome mod! I really love it. It would be nice if you'd add the LRV to the mod! I mean whats a propper Apollo mission without an LRV?

Glad you love the mod!   It is a fun and pretty accurate (shape wise*) mod of Real space Rockets and sometimes their hypothetical derivatives.

A) Most Apollo missions didn't have the LRV.  Only 3 were launched IIRC.   That means less than half of the missions had them (counting the aborted Apollo 13)

B) the LRV is of dubious value.   It has a range of 1.5 miles and NO load capacity beyond Crew (2)

C) most importantly.   Cobalt has stated in the past that the LRV is not on the table soon if ever. 

There are several Mods out there with LRVs in them.  I think one is even KIS/KAS enabled so you can haul it up in tanks and assemble it yourself just like the Astronauts had to.  Some of the larger KIS tanks attach nicely to the LEM decent stage.

Whoops didn't see CobaltWolf has already posted on this!  So what he said! :)

*YES I KNOW Saturn V is not a homogeneous scale and the Titan SRB parts are WAY out of proportion currently on Saturn MLV you don't have to tell me :)

Edited by Pappystein

Was able to create the S-ID "stage-and-a-half" booster using the mounting plates and structural tubes from Making History

Spoiler

uy3W1wM.png

jVW6oZc.png

jwiYguH.png

bBCAPlv.png

Iq0Uzpj.png

vACwSaD.png

EjMTx4o.png

MC7AB61.png

BM8JSWL.png

Capable of lifting three fully loaded ore tanks, it's a mighty booster indeed.

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

What's the Agena for?

IRL a different nose-cone would have to have been devised to transfer Life Support supplies (the Gemini Nose only transfers power and basic controls.   But as others have said... Life Support.

Personal I use the 0.9375m- 0.625m BDB cone and the Probe-drogue docking port from IRL Apollo or just throw the 0.9375m APAS AAP docking port on Agena when used in this role.  Same with the Gemini LS transport pod.

So I was inspired by JSO earlier today to make a "clean" Agena....   Parts involved:

Agena Nosecone, D-tank and D- engine and many Titan II parts.

Stock Mk3 Cargo fuselage (yeah the huge slab sided affair)   Stock girder beam

Batteries and solar pannels from both BDB (Solar Battery) and Probes!PLUS.

Origami Large Antenna from ORIGAMI Foldable antennas for RemoteTech 2

The mission,  Create a Deep Space Communication Network so that my probes to Iota etc can actually communicate back to Gael in my 2.5x scale GPP playthrough.

What do you all think? 

First:  Prior attempt.  Was to launch the whole constelation at once in a Saturn MLV.  

Spoiler

7VTpK47.jpg

Now the ultimate Titan IIIc- form (UA-1202s instead of UA-1205s on this Titan IIIC.)  

Spoiler

qHJFIXS.jpg

MpFIg7Y.jpg

Q9xEZnb.jpg

I ended up switching to the Single Satellite launch on the Titan IIIc- for Cost reasons.   The Saturn MLV to launch 4 of them (with the Origami antenna exposed on Agena) cost me close to 800,000 credits.   The same basic payload (except neater with the inline tweak-scaled Mk3 fuselage) on a single Titan IIIc- only cost 64,900 credits.   Sure it is a little harder to get a constellation into a perfect multi unit orbit around Granus (the Sun) but hey I save a boatload of cash.   Oh and for those wondering, the Agena with or without the Mk3 fuselage is too heavy for a Titan IIIa to lift in a 2.5x GPP play-through by about 900 m/s to LGO.

Edited by Pappystein
fixed final paragraph

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

IRL a different nose-cone would have to have been devised to transfer Life Support supplies (the Gemini Nose only transfers power and basic controls.   But as others have said... Life Support.

Personal I use the 0.9375m- 0.625m BDB cone and the Probe-drogue docking port from IRL Apollo or just throw the 0.9375m APAS AAP docking port on Agena when used in this role.  Same with the Gemini LS transport pod.

Yes I certainly could have used a more sensible docking solution than having a Gemini nose sticking out of the station :D! But I really love the look of the Agena target vehicle and was paying tribute.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Yes I certainly could have used a more sensible docking solution than having a Gemini nose sticking out of the station :D! But I really love the look of the Agena target vehicle and was paying tribute.

well I can applause and get behind that! :)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Some pics from the stream last night... I need critique on the Titan and LR-91 if anyone has any... The autoshroud/decoupler is still basically untextured, I can't find a design for it I like.

1) the silver area of the tanks are now pretty darn perfect

2) other than my oft stated aversion to any sort of ablative material on an engine (at-least Aerojet knew how to make it look good unlike Rocketdyne or just about anyone else.) I think the -5 engine is schway,   The -3 is cute in it's over long over narrow aspect (difference between a LFO combustion Chamber and a Hypergolic combustion chamber!)  I think the -5's Vibration/Pogo elimination devices could use vertical lines in them (you just drew them onto the -3 but but put big blocs on the -5 that does not have the "fin" like feature.)

So LR-91-AJ-3 engine.   Color good, Shape good, Detail good.....  

LR-91-AJ-5 engine:   Color,Shape good.  Detail the Pogo/Vibration blocks are lacking detail that the drawn section on the -3 has (vertical lines... a lot of them)  

Other than that Mission Control says Go for Launch!

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

1) the silver area of the tanks are now pretty darn perfect

2) other than my oft stated aversion to any sort of ablative material on an engine (at-least Aerojet knew how to make it look good unlike Rocketdyne or just about anyone else.) I think the -5 engine is schway,   The -3 is cute in it's over long over narrow aspect (difference between a LFO combustion Chamber and a Hypergolic combustion chamber!)  I think the -5's Vibration/Pogo elimination devices could use vertical lines in them (you just drew them onto the -3 but but put big blocs on the -5 that does not have the "fin" like feature.)

So LR-91-AJ-3 engine.   Color good, Shape good, Detail good.....  

LR-91-AJ-5 engine:   Color,Shape good.  Detail the Pogo/Vibration blocks are lacking detail that the drawn section on the -3 has (vertical lines... a lot of them) 

I think I made it too shiny. There's still some work to be done on the tanks I think.

So, as a reminder, it's not just that it's an ablative cover. It's that the majority of the nozzle is a piece of ablator that's bolted on. There's no regenerative tubing underneath it. So if I didn't put the ablator on, the nozzle would be reaaaaaalllly short.

I think partially the AJ3's shape is due to things like proper thrust chamber design not being as understood as they were, say, ten years later. I'm not sure what you mean by pogo devices.

The engines are definitely lacking a bit of detail still. I need to go back to them again. The LR-87 not so much but definitely the LR-91s.

I think I might reduce the chonk-factor of the Titan 2 LR-91. I can't find any photos of them with the wider bell, only the narrower ones.

Edited by CobaltWolf