[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Was it intentional to remove the scaling function for the revamp branch Saturn fuel tanks? It is still there for the engine mounts and interstages, but not for the fuel tanks themselves. I was trying to recreate the Saturn C series with the new stuff but couldn't scale the tanks.

What scaling function? Are you talking about tweakscale? If so no one is maintaining those configs anymore though happy to take a pull request.

17 hours ago, Pappystein said:

err... umm... Saturn II is JUST the S-II stage with the possibility of the S-IVB or S-IVC (the NASA one not the ETS one)  

well technically it is actually a MS-II-1,-2,-3B or -4S with either payload OR a MS-IVB-4(S)B, -1A/-3, or MS-IVB-2...    S-IVC fits with he MS-IVB-1A or -3 (basically the same length and fuel load)

Once I dig some old Saturn II pics out I will post them...   But once Cobalt is done with the proper Saturn II parts (there are about 10 bespoke parts needed for a full up Saturn II)  I will run the whole series.

Saturn II is my adopted baby and I have worked hard to  bully convince the devs into including the J-2 Sea Level engines... :D;)

Now that THAT is all out of the way.    That is an Interesting use of the LEGO concept on Saturn.    What kind of performance did you get (Stock or 2.5, or JNSQ or what)???   Inquiring minds want to know! :D  

Better yet,  I discovered a document, and shared it with Cobalt a couple days ago that show what you built WAS actually planned.... sorta.....   How about a Long AJ-260 under that S-II stage!

I called this abomination Saturn minusII, it's not the Saturn-II that I also buildt earlier, the latter one is cool but it looks a bit weird

I just noticed that the DPS doesn't kick up any dust when firing near the Lunar (Mumar?) surface, the APS seems to do it just fine so i dont think its an issue with my game, i'm using waterfall if that makes a difference

On 10/6/2021 at 9:44 AM, Invaderchaos said:

I also briefly considered the idea of potentially doing Vulcan, but my current to-do list is already big enough, plus I don’t think it’d be a good idea to do until Vulcan launches, and/or there are more pictures of flight-ready hardware for Vulcan itself as well as new Centaur for Vulcan. But no promises on that in the slightest. 

I could take or leave Vulcan but I'd kill for a Centaur V or ACES

2 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

I just noticed that the DPS doesn't kick up any dust when firing near the Lunar (Mumar?) surface, the APS seems to do it just fine so i dont think its an issue with my game, i'm using waterfall if that makes a difference

There is a mod for Vulcan tho 

21 hours ago, Likasombodee said:

CKAN doesn't allow it to be installed on latest version.

Can @linuxgurugamer or @HebaruSan help with that? We should be compatible as far as I know, we're all on 1.12.2 for dev stuff here.

19 hours ago, Pioneer_Steve said:

S-IVB using LM & Skylab Hardware to land an observatory on the Moon. Had an absolute blast making this.

Oh, so the J-2 + 2xRL10s is a real proposal to land an S-IVB on the moon (somehow, I don't know anything about it) - I actually modeled the engine mount variant way back when, just cus I thought it looked cool. I'll finish it sooner that later.

2gL3tMS.png

pjUBPxH.png

15 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Just curious, will the S-IVB (200 version) APS get Waterfall support?

Yeah I think it just needs to have it's names added to the config, it's just cus its a separate part. Zorg, make sure you don't miss this one next time you're in those cfgs.

13 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Was it intentional to remove the scaling function for the revamp branch Saturn fuel tanks? It is still there for the engine mounts and interstages, but not for the fuel tanks themselves. I was trying to recreate the Saturn C series with the new stuff but couldn't scale the tanks.

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

What scaling function? Are you talking about tweakscale? If so no one is maintaining those configs anymore though happy to take a pull request.

Yes, we don't maintain those configs anymore. I know they're pretty essential for getting the most out of these parts, so if anyone has time we'd appreciate some help here. Should be pretty simple - just go through the Tweakscale compatibility patches in Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Tweakscale. The custom BDB profile would need to be rewritten for the new 4.25m and 6.25m diameters, and then the Saturn configs updated to just reference the new part names and default scales.

11 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Apollo I+ Class Lunar Surveying

(Fictional as far as I know)

I don't think any were quite that complex - there was the project to use an obsolete KH-7 camera system docked to an Apollo to do lunar surveying if the Lunar Orbiters returned insufficient data.

9 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

A compilation of best Screenshots from the ETS Saturn Multibody rockets

On that note, the ETS stuff is coming sooner than later. Getting the Saturn 1C and Multibody in game is high on my to-do list.

4 hours ago, Beccab said:

I think there's an bug in the SIV-2200 fuel tank from the apollo revamp, it doesn't have the fuel switch options

I wonder if it's because it has solid fuel now as well? @Jsoany insight? Do I need to separate the solids or something?

4 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

I think that means it's missing a ModuleSurfaceFX{ }, I'll have to see.

4 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

1 hour ago, Neebel said:

There is a mod for Vulcan tho

I'd be interested in the ACES IVF module, seems useful to have and pretty neat tech.

EDIT: Oh, also, last night I got the lil Apollo 17 Cosmic Ray Detector from the LM in. I believe this completes the science that will be included - though remember you have crew reports and surface samples to generate a lot of science as well!

uWApLgn.png

AJAz2aX.png

4qH5av1.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

22 hours ago, Likasombodee said:

CKAN doesn't allow it to be installed on latest version.

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can @linuxgurugamer or @HebaruSan help with that? We should be compatible as far as I know, we're all on 1.12.2 for dev stuff here.

The "<!>" means the Relationships tab is trying to get your attention so it can explain why it's not installable.

8Z0xcKS.png

ajHjFpv.png

5 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

What happened to the HG-3? I seem to recall it was being worked on at some point, but I can't find it anywhere in-game?

Through some digging, we found out there is no HG-3 (its not a real engine but a parametric study program conducted for Marshall by Pratt and Whitney). I made the Pratt & Whiteny RL20 and XLR129 both of which although not made explicitly to an HG-3 specification, are the closest contemporary things to the technologies discussed in that study. 

Both engines are in the current release.

More detailed information in this here post including sources:

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, so the J-2 + 2xRL10s is a real proposal to land an S-IVB on the moon (somehow, I don't know anything about it) - I actually modeled the engine mount variant way back when, just cus I thought it looked cool. I'll finish it sooner that later.

2gL3tMS.png

pjUBPxH.png

Yeah I think it just needs to have it's names added to the config, it's just cus its a separate part. Zorg, make sure you don't miss this one next time you're in those cfgs

On that note, the ETS stuff is coming sooner than later. Getting the Saturn 1C and Multibody in game is high on my to-do list.

I think that means it's missing a ModuleSurfaceFX{ }, I'll have to see.

EDIT: Oh, also, last night I got the lil Apollo 17 Cosmic Ray Detector from the LM in. I believe this completes the science that will be included - though remember you have crew reports and surface samples to generate a lot of science as well!

uWApLgn.png

AJAz2aX.png

4qH5av1.png

Looking great Cobalt. Psyched to get the S-ID and the ETS stuff ingame. My Alt. History/What-If Saturn Catalog of LVs is getting longer by the week. 

23 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Could I have something installed incorrectly? All the experiments except one are UV observations. I am up to date with Github except that I do not have the OldParts folder installed.

Reveal hidden contents

3daTB4L.png

They just havent been configured yet, placeholder experiment nodes in the config at the moment.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I wonder if it's because it has solid fuel now as well? @Jsoany insight? Do I need to separate the solids or something?

Yes. Any part with a ModuleEngines gets bypassed by the fuel switcher patch, because the fuel is assumed to be for the engine.

SIVB as a reusable SSTO

This one was an actual proposal by, you guessed right, Philip Bono. It's not hard to imagine it would never have worked as easily as he thought, but hey, this is KSP

Spoiler

s-ivb-recovery-5-jpg.94560

Screenshot_8444.pngScreenshot_8454.pngScreenshot_8465.pngScreenshot_8476.pngScreenshot_8526.pngScreenshot_8492.pngScreenshot_8523.pngScreenshot_8525.pngScreenshot_8542.pngScreenshot_8547.pngScreenshot_8551.pngScreenshot_8552.png
I know that the list of parts you guys have is already way too long, but is there a small chance there will be a SIVB-sized leg in BDB? There's a few proposals that need that (the ones Cobalt posted in particular) and the legs of that size out there are very very few. The ones I'm using here in particular fit good with the style of the parts, but are probably from before a particular KSP update and so the legs detach from the body extremely easily and partly clip in the terrain

Edited by Beccab

49 minutes ago, Beccab said:

SIVB as a reusable SSTO

This one was an actual proposal by, you guessed right, Philip Bono. It's not hard to imagine it would never have worked as easily as he thought, but hey, this is KSP

Reveal hidden contents

s-ivb-recovery-5-jpg.94560

Screenshot_8444.pngScreenshot_8454.pngScreenshot_8465.pngScreenshot_8476.pngScreenshot_8526.pngScreenshot_8492.pngScreenshot_8523.pngScreenshot_8525.pngScreenshot_8542.pngScreenshot_8547.pngScreenshot_8551.pngScreenshot_8552.png
I know that the list of parts you guys have is already way too long, but is there a small chance there will be a SIVB-sized leg in BDB? There's a few proposals that need that (the ones Cobalt posted in particular) and the legs of that size out there are very very few. The ones I'm using here in particular fit good with the style of the parts, but are probably from before a particular KSP update and so the legs detach from the body extremely easily and partly clip in the terrain

What are the legs and aerospike from?

3 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

What are the legs and aerospike from?

The legs are tweakscaled from this

The aerospike is from NF Atomics, but not exactly: 90% of it is clipped inside the Saturn 1 separator leaving only the noozle out, and because it is tweakscaled (and Waterfall does not tweakscale at all) the flare was no longer properly sized. So, it actually has the biggest BDB engine I always forget the name of clipped behind it which happens to be basically the exact size I needed for the sole purpose of providing that cool effect

32 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

what is the formula to bring for example real-sized sattelites down to BDB-scale?

With few exceptions, we use exact real dimensions  x 0.625 

Very few probes such as those that need to meet stack diameter (eg Explorer 1) are rounded up or down and may be some might have errors but the majority will follow the rule above.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ah Very Good! I’m pleased to hear

Also, since everyone seems to be posting their interesting creations with the new Saturn parts, let me tease what I’m working on alongside Freedom right now:

Space Station Independence - The S-II Wetlab

I also believe this has some historical basis too, as before Skylab, Von Braun really wanted to make an S-II Wetlab, before that got Scrapped as they only had a certain amount of Saturn V’s in the first and only order I believe.

6DgvSfc.png
rzfxZCT.png(Ignore the missing engines, that was a design for having a rear docking port, where the J-2’s separate from the mount, but that doesn’t look too good)

Also it’s gonna have a small Multinode module in the fairing that docks to the crew tunnel in the S-II conical Interstage. It’ll provide docking for the airlock, large crews and possibly a power module if needed.

One last thing to the people who know lots about rockets here, was the Saturn 2 suppose to be cheaper than the Saturn 1B, as if it is, I’ll probably use it as the crew launcher for Independence when the parts come out