[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

You guys keep playing with your smol block V stuff (I haven't had a chance to DL it yet since I am doing....)

BIGGER:

BETTER:

hQlJXVy.jpg

Your new ISS Core   (And playing with Zorg's new CADS docking ports!)

Spoiler

80w1vIA.jpg

testing the Active port's Extension

3IyiDbK.jpg

Love the light catch in this shot (I think those are from Restock or something or other Nertea!)

At some point a 1.875m to 1.25m endcap might be appropriate for the MOL/GMSS derived station parts to work with this docking port.   I had to use a stock Fueltank (well restock) to go from 1.875 to 1.5m on both Skylab and GMSS modules that will launch over the next few days/weeks of playing.

caTU96h.jpg

Yes that is the Ring/Fork port on the bottom of Skylab, the Gemini/Langly low profile port on the right bottom port (for Augustus resupply) and a Drogue on the bottom left port.  Not seen as it is behind (on the bottom of the Skylab) is a Benjee10 APAS C-100 port.   Another Drogue is on the bottom of the Airlock portion of Skylab.   

I haven't decided if I am going to make the Russian Segment vertically below the Skylab or use an extension out the back to mate with the Fork N Ring port for the Russian Segment.   But the US/International segments are all planned out.

*EDITED*

An IN VAB view of my planned International/US segments:

59uk6RY.png

Edited by Pappystein

No it isn't CURSED!

FXHyKCQ.jpg

That is a 5x UA-1208 Saturn II INT-18... with a BIG payload?!?!   Only has a moderate first stage stretch and for some reason I am not getting the lengths for S-IVB but I got sofi so no complaints for this launch!

Spoiler

ffmX1fT.jpg

Yes it can launch with that payload

pn5W9V5.jpg

Yes, Zorg's XLR-129s are needed for this part (I could have used the J-2T-400K from extras but no waterfall (I need to fix that))

HZCLeL2.jpg

Hard to see on some monitors and screens but the PLF separation leaves a lot to be desired when that long...   But none the less thanks for the SAF Zorg!

And ERRRRRRREET!  I screwed up and launched the wrong part first!

2M09aGy.jpg

Titan V LH2 (aka Titan LDC)  Powered by 5x2 RL20P3s... the upper stage engine mount is not RL20 VAC compliant for 2 engine installs (I did not check but assume it is the same for XLR-129)

Spoiler

p1o51rj.jpg

Upper stage a flying... with a payload of....

xU7ChM1.jpg

Cause Z node needs to be inplace before the other payload can safely attach!

Back to our previously flying Flight:

Spoiler

tPZ4nia.jpg

Yes that is 2x RS30 + 1x XLR-129 :D   And a really long Payload...

S-IVB with a helper bot (that I proceeded to loose) bring the core truss into the new ISS station.   

VS8lASG.jpg

QtyX80O.jpg

And next, a Daytime launch (Woo Hoo!)  Titan V CH4 with @EStreetRockets STBE  ( you should all have this for your Titan V LDC needs!)

H4umWrX.jpg

Spoiler

qHU3cfG.jpg

Yes, if you can see it... this means I have almost every BDB docking port (and all the HabTech ones) on my Station so far!

OLz3Jak.jpg

Yeah Oops!

7WOm8xF.jpg

On approach (ISS lower right quadrant of screen

6bICjUK.jpg

And Current State of the new Skylab derived ISS:

q5KMVxX.jpg

EDIT PS:  The only BDB docking ports I am not using are the Agena Female port and the APAS75 ports from BDB.  The C-100 fills the APAS75 needs and is non gendered

Edited by Pappystein

How are the block III/IV/V solar panels and antennas supposed to mount to the engine plate? There are attach nodes there but they can't be node attached, and the engine plate has weird surface attach.

EDIT, would it be possible to add a switch for a truss structure in the SLAM fairing for use with the ETS Apollo mission modules? They just sort of awkwardly float inside the fairing.

Edited by Entr8899

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

How are the block III/IV/V solar panels and antennas supposed to mount to the engine plate? There are attach nodes there but they can't be node attached, and the engine plate has weird surface attach.

the attach notes on the apollo engine mount are for the engine (either the big one or LMAE or LMDE), the block 2 high gain antenna, and the apollo 17 yagi antenna and those 2 long antennas. I personally surface attach the block 3/4 and 5 HGAs and also the block 5 solar panels. If you have problems with surface attaching the solars, try to attach them to the SM itself and move them down and rotate

Since the new CADS is 1.25m it's not a like for like replacement for the old 0.9375m APAS by CXG that we had. That one has now been deprecated.

As a replacement, with kind permission from @benjee10, we just added his gorgeous APAS model to BDB (which as you can tell heavily inspired the work on CADS). This uses the exact same config and PART name as Benjee's own model with a MM patch to deactivate itself when Benjee10_sharedAssets bundled with his mods is detected. Meaning that craft files WILL NOT break even if you add or remove a Benjee mod to an existing save with BDB. 

18 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Since the new CADS is 1.25m it's not a like for like replacement for the old 0.9375m APAS by CXG that we had. That one has now been deprecated.

As a replacement, with kind permission from @benjee10, we just added his gorgeous APAS model to BDB (which as you can tell heavily inspired the work on CADS). This uses the exact same config and PART name as Benjee's own model with a MM patch to deactivate itself when Benjee10_sharedAssets bundled with his mods is detected. Meaning that craft files WILL NOT break even if you add or remove a Benjee mod to an existing save with BDB. 

Can two active CADS units dock?

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

the attach notes on the apollo engine mount are for the engine (either the big one or LMAE or LMDE), the block 2 high gain antenna, and the apollo 17 yagi antenna and those 2 long antennas. I personally surface attach the block 3/4 and 5 HGAs and also the block 5 solar panels. If you have problems with surface attaching the solars, try to attach them to the SM itself and move them down and rotate

I know, but the block 3 small antenna goes in the same place as the high-gain antenna, and the solar panels go in the same place as the Apollo 17 whip antennas, hence my confusion at them not being node-attachable. Also factor in that the engine plate has awkward surface attach properties and you have to flip the antennas/solar panels around and rotate them precisely whenever attaching them.

8 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Can two active CADS units dock?

Yes, the though the hatches will be at 45 degrees to each other so you lose some room there (not that it matters in KSP).

3 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

I know, but the block 3 small antenna goes in the same place as the high-gain antenna, and the solar panels go in the same place as the Apollo 17 whip antennas, hence my confusion at them not being node-attachable. Also factor in that the engine plate has awkward surface attach properties and you have to flip the antennas/solar panels around and rotate them precisely whenever attaching them.

Will have to see if Cobalt wants to add nodes for the solars too. The surface attach works pretty well in my experience so long as you turn off angle snapping.

The block III HGA definitely needs a node.

12 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Are the Block IV and III mission modules not public yet? The SOFI S-IVB, AARDV and everything shows up, but only the pre-revamp versions of the block III and IV show up

Screenshot_8757.png

Ermm, I actually had a similar issue to this. Both showed up in-game for me, but the revamped 2.5m diameter module disappeared.

7 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Ermm, I actually had a similar issue to this. Both showed up in-game for me, but the revamped 2.5m diameter module disappeared.

Welp, there they are now. I launched a probe, reloaded back to the VAB and they appeared without ever closing KSP. The old block III and IV disappeared, so is it a conflict or something?
Screenshot_8760.png

Edited by Beccab

So didn't get a chance to update last night, but today, a rare day when I get to go home for Lunch.  MORE SCREEN TAX!

B8KuirG.jpg

Saturn IE-5   Stretched 1st and 2nd stage... full Lunar CSM (for mass not for any other reason) and most importantly a WORKING SIM bay on the CSM!

Deleting OldParts out of GameData/BluedogDB/ is very VERY important!

Launch shot and Station Update:

Spoiler

ImPix5Q.jpg

If you can't see why it is called Saturn IE-5 zoom in closer.    E-1s for the win!

Ship performed as expected... then I looked at the clock and realized it was almost 2 AM and I work at 7:30AM (get up at 6)  :DOH:

kLDMuoj.jpg

I have one Solar wing on the station,  As well as an Agustus....    Said Agustus crashed in and actually broke a solar panel off of the Skylab core...   Thankfully everything and everyone (station is empty) survived!

Design Flaw, I will not be able to use the Radiator on that wing while the Agustus is docked.   *OOPS* said the engineer who planned this!   While the Agustus and the Radiator clear each other while docked... it is during docking that the two fight... which caused my afor mentioned crash into the small 1x6 solar arrays on the core itself.

For enviromental and performance reasons, I am maintaining a clean sky.  Anything that is not in current use is either de-orbited or grabbed with this.   My "Debris Be Gone" Upper stage.

It is an Agena D with the late 8096 engine (150:1 bell at 16kn force)....   SOT tanks are NOT jettisoned.   But no one wants to make BIG AGENA (ok I do but my skills are lacking)

Anyway, I had to use the restock claw for a better "bite" and more flexibility as I am going after randomly sized objects from 6.25m all the way down to 0.625m   

c3eMR3t.jpg

Yes I am going to use this picture for a bug report on the Github (hence I let all the gagues and such show up.

qHpY1c9.jpg

Bringing Saturn II-INT-18 Core stage back

Welp 30 minutes already!  Back to work

*work work work*

7 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

Shouldn't there be 3 petals like the real APAS? You can't dock active to active without the hatches being clocked 45 degrees to each other.

Its not APAS, its CADS from Eyes Turned Skyward which is basically CBM (1.25m) but with 4x APAS like petals and docking capabilites. And yes despite the name it is not truly androgynous without some limitations (ie two actives docking would reduce the usable hatch area. 

AFAIK even that later case is hypothetical, actives were only meant to dock to passives (i could be wrong, not read ETS in full in while).

In any case the old docking "CADS" (but actually APAS) 0.9375m port model has been replaced in BDB by Benjee's model as well as of today.

Edited by Zorg

4 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Its not APAS, its CADS from Eyes Turned Skyward which is basically CBM (1.25m) but with 4x APAS like petals and docking capabilites. And yes despite the name it is not truly androgynous without some limitations (ie two actives docking would reduce the usable hatch area. 

AFAIK even that later case is hypothetical, actives were only meant to dock to passives (i could be wrong, not read ETS in full in while).

In any case the old docking "CADS" (but actually APAS) 0.9375m port model has been replaced in BDB by Benjee's model as well as of today.

I realize it's not APAS, I was thinking it should have the petals like APAS because it's a docking port, not a berthing port. Since two spacecraft can dock without outside support, unlike CBM.

7 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

I realize it's not APAS, I was thinking it should have the petals like APAS because it's a docking port, not a berthing port. Since two spacecraft can dock without outside support, unlike CBM.

This is made faithfully to the ETS descriptions and art.