[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

29 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Or they could have gone balls to the wall and used a Saturn-Shuttle with an S-II stage. Would have loved to see that kind of insanityZ

Hear me out- replace the ET on a normal shuttle stack with SII and the SSMEs with J2S or T

Taking a break from Apollo stuff for tonight's AAR to show what else has been going on:

Another save, another Mariner 9 kitbash: This time it's made from a mix of BDB Mariner 10 parts and Coatl Aerospace Mariner 6/7 parts.

VSkttLj.png

zG7ck7F.png

DTkA1Nu.png

aa3sVCy.png

rvHA12v.png

oX5zXbQ.png

8gygXZ7.png

A side note: Unlucky timing caused Mariner 9 to arrive at its Mars encounter at exactly the same time I was performing TEI for Apollo 12 (I don't always post these missions as soon as I fly them because I don't want to clutter up the thread with my screenshots). It meant a lot of tedious switching between the two craft to manage each mission.

Also a Great Value brand ITOS satellite on Delta N6:

hg5euq6.png

6B7XwPu.png

ty0UWfF.png

18 hours ago, Zorg said:

I personally mostly enjoyed the show for what it was (s1 at least), a Ronald D Moore show about social issues with some space related set dressing :P But regardless of what one may think about the quality of the show, the thing is that there are a lot of real world whacky advanced apollo/saturn/skylab stuff we could be (and we are) doing as opposed to stuff from FAM which ultimately does not even turn out to even work once we look at it critically in terms of balancing etc. Again I never expected that level of fidelity from a tv show like that but we do for BDB.

Also Ronald D Moore... the guy who drops story lines for something new faster than My ADD kicks in!   Yeah I am still butt hurt of him basically dropping Battlestar Galactica to make Capricia....   Also RETCON much.  

5 hours ago, TruthfulGnome said:

unknown.png

I haven't played enough KSP (well I am building my ISS based on Skylab so I haven't played too much with the AJ260s yet.)    But this is one of the biggest concepts I wanted to play with.   I think I have a cleaned up version of that drawing somewhere in my archive.

Another one I want to play with is the 4+1+S-IVC wetlab (the real one not the ETS one!) on a Eros/Venus flyby.      I am tempted to use Hyperedit to park the largest asteroid in the same orbit as Kerbin but out of the actual Kerbin SOI....    Plant a small probe on it so it doesn't disappear and launch a mission :D

8 hours ago, Jcking said:

But the RNS is cool

nuclear_shuttle_payloads.jpg

And the Tug/crew is done by the other dog developer @Orbital_phoenix

28 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

Requesting screenshots of a normal Shuttle stack boosted with 1 inline AJ-260 below it (I would curse the thread with it but I'm away from pc)

I don't think the low thrust rating (what the AJ-260s are currently equipped with) would have enough thrust + Control.    Maybe when the High Thrust option appears (well I hope it appears for this and "reasons") 

AJ-260s 1x Tests 1 and 2 were "low thrust" tests and the 3rd and final AJ-260 test was a high thrust test.   They changed the shape of the fuel causing the fuel to burn hotter/faster/Higher-pressure.   This caused the fuel capacity (which is only about 1% less than the first two burns) to be used up in 70 vs 114 seconds. 

I am going from memory and do not have the... err  wait one... ok real numbers (I forgot I made them easy to get):

Tests 1 and 2 were 1.7 million pounds of fuel @  3.56million pound force static thrust.   114 seconds (112 and 114 IIRC)   

Test 3 was same 1.7 million pounds of fuel (short by about 1% that of the above two tests)   @ 5.9 million pound force static thrust for 70 seconds

While I mentioned this in my Intermediate Saturn Article a couple months ago.  The Initial INT-05 is a HIGH thrust AJ-260 and is NOT SUITABLE for manned or spacecraft launches.   Best for disposing of things in space...

INT-05A is a Low thrust AJ-260-2x (commonly called the full length AJ-260 even though it was not the longest proposed AJ-260)

INT-05B is a Low thrust AJ-260-1x (the short AJ-260)

I have a lot of documents on the AJ-260 and the naming convention for the 3 (yes three) sizes leaves a lot to be desired.   Only the first two sizes were used in any of the Saturn Proposals I have found thusfar.   But there are a lot of documents we don't have access to because they were initially classified as munitions.

I am tempted to make up my own naming nomenclature based on what I am seeing in some of the documents.    AJ-260-1x, -2x and -3x.    The -2x being the "full length" one for the Saturn MLV and it being twice the length of the "Half length" -1x.   YES you guessed it.... the -3x being 3 times the length of the -1x and one and 1/2 times that of the -2x!

Edited by Pappystein

2 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Titan Texture Cleanup is on GitHub!

... and for those that were enjoying also my unofficial BDBNIC fork for the new Apollo capsule repaint I made, a simply reminder to download it again, as the new Titan cleanup gives some B9PartSwitch error with the previous version.

Grab the updated version here: https://github.com/Araym-KSP/BDBNIC
(downlad the repo thru the big green button... then you can simply copy-paste and everything should be fixed)

4 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

@pTrevTrevs & @Clamp-o-Tron something like this?

Rul4zPC.png

CYL2NUX.png

Personally, I was thinking something like a Saturn V but with the S-IVB replaced with a Shuttle ET and Orbiter. If that kind of setup could be made to work maybe it would let us get FAM-style lunar shuttles.

Might try it myself, once I get to the shuttle era.

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Personally, I was thinking something like a Saturn V but with the S-IVB replaced with a Shuttle ET and Orbiter. If that kind of setup could be made to work maybe it would let us get FAM-style lunar shuttles.

that's not the S-IV B That's the S-II

4 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Isn't that's just Saturn-Shuttle but with S-II

made some purely fictional INTs

INT-22

Spoiler

S-IVB with 2 RL-20s, 2nd stage is a centaur

unknown.png

INT-23

Spoiler

streched S-IVB with 1 J-2T400K, it has 4 radial hydrolox verniers from Beale's H-II mod, also centaur 2nd stage

unknown.png

INT-24

Spoiler

INT-23 with 4 UA-1205s, J-2T400K is airlit, 5 seconds before booster burnout

unknown.png

INT-22 and 24 fly very well, 23 has a bad (but still flyable) TWR

Edited by Starhelperdude

3 minutes ago, Jacktical said:

Does the Saturn revamp include the titan texture clean up or should i use the master branch? Thanks :) 

its meant for the next release with the various probes but the stuff master branch gets merged upstream to saturn branch regularly. Its up to date as of today.

5 minutes ago, Zorg said:

its meant for the next release with the various probes but the stuff master branch gets merged upstream to saturn branch regularly. Its up to date as of today.

5 minutes ago, Jcking said:

It just recently got added to the Saturn revamp branch.

Thanks a lot :)