[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

14 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

They do that. :P

(Jk, but it is the more unreliable option for space info)

And Astronautix is the most cited source for anything dealing with Space on the various Wikipedias

12 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Counterpoint: wikipedia

see above

:P

47 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

They do that. :P

(Jk, but it is the more unreliable option for space info)

The big problem is that it has very few sources, many of which are wrong. For an example, this image from Astronautix Apollo M-1 page is a recreation of a drawing from page 25 of Apollo Volume IV: Growth and Advanced Concepts Final Study Report by GD Convair (NTRS 19790076966_1979076966), but without that document it’s legitimacy is unknown (please note that while the page cites a source, it sites a Martin Apollo study NTRS 19750064557_1975064557 which doesn’t describe GE vehicles).

zgdairlo.gif

Edited by Jcking

3 hours ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Hey guys, just a quick question for Cobalt, are there going to be C-8 parts? If not, it’s pretty confusing it’s on the ‘officialy unofficial’ wiki, and it would be good to notify Friznit. But man, C-8 and maybe DA Apollo would be crazy, don’t you think?

1 hour ago, JoeSheridan said:

Guys, i know many of you would like to have it but 1. it brings nothing to get cobalt and the rest of the team annoyed so heavy they loose the will to work on this in such a communicative way they are ( Thank´s for giving us the chance to give you sooo much input for every of the dev-cycles) and 2. There are more than enough options in BDB to build lifters that are just even more mighty than a C-8 would have been. Even before the ongoing update-cycle. You have something that you can´t bring into orbit on a Saturn V or an INT-21? Just strap on some 1208´s or AJ260´s or even some Saturn IC / MB-cores as Sideboosters on it. I really don´t see a need for an even heavier lifter in this mod because we have a lot of options for just that NOW. And we are getting a lot more of them in that said upgrade. The Saturn I-D-mount alone has the potential to give around 10-25 tons of transfer mass to given targets alone.

So please: Stop asking for a C-8, the Novas or other such things. If you really want one, than you can kitbash one with procedural tanks and tweakscale. Yes: there won´t be such nice textures and details as in this mod here, but it´s doable.

Sorry for that little rant. It´s just that i have enough from reading that C-8 and Nova questions every two or three pages again. And i am only a normal user following this threat since just before page 500 or so i think.

Oh and: A late congrats to page 900. Seems like this could become the first forum page i know of getting into a FOUR-diggit-Page-count soon. We can do that guys and girls :D

personally it doesnt annoy me, yes there is a search function but forum threads in general arent the easiest to grasp the full extent of previous conversations from. So someone new to the discussion asking isn't necessarily a problem, people pestering after being told no is a different matter.

But yeah C-8 is not a rocket anyone on the team is interested in making. None of us like it particularly and large rockets come with a significant cost in time to make (detailing etc) and especially texture space cost to the end user. So we would rather work on stuff that interests us.

Regarding the wiki Friznit provides it as a kitbash build, a suggestion for people who are interested using other mods and or scaling etc. I dont see that as a problem.

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Why do so many people know about C-8? Was it featured in a popular TV series or something?

Literally the same reason people simp for Sea Dragon

”hehe big rocket go boom”

If you’re gonna demand a crackpot fantasy setup, it should at least be a good suggestion. Speaking of, @CobaltWolf when are we getting lunar-capable reusable Mercury parts? 

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Reject Saturn C8, return to Agena supremacy

screenshot52.png?width=886&height=498

For real though, although the Saturn and Titan parts are cool and all I really love the smaller parts BDB adds like the Agena upper stages and the different probes. They are so much fun to kitbash with and make the early game much more interesting. You could release them by themselves in their own mod and it would easily be my number one part mod alongside Restock.

12 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

If you’re gonna demand a crackpot fantasy setup, it should at least be a good suggestion. Speaking of, @CobaltWolf when are we getting lunar-capable reusable Mercury parts? 

Was that actually a thing or are you just making something up? Because if it was a real proposal I'd love to see what in the world they came up with to get to the moon with Mercury.

5 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

Was that actually a thing or are you just making something up? Because if it was a real proposal I'd love to see what in the world they came up with to get to the moon with Mercury.

Wasn't there even a proposal to take gemini to mars for some reason?

I have a couple of quick questions about the mod if that's alright:

1. I think I vaguely remember discussions of eventually adding an Apollo d2 and S-II wet workshop to the mod and am wondering if that was and/or still a possibility for future updates?

2. Considering that people have asked for a centaur wet workshop along with other parts I am wondering if it is,at least in theory, possible to create a kind of wet workshop config template that users can customize slot into other parts to make their own?

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Literally the same reason people simp for Sea Dragon

”hehe big rocket go boom”

While I didn’t find any lunar missions involving mercury, Martin proposed a Mercury shape reentry vehicle for their Apollo spacecraft (before settling onto the 410 shape)

IMG_4128.png

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

Counterpoint: wikipedia

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

And Astronautix is the most cited source for anything dealing with Space on the various Wikipedias

see above

:P

Wikipedia requires sources now and is regulated, schools and unis are actually now required to allow Wikipedia iirc. 

11 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Wikipedia requires sources now and is regulated, schools and unis are actually now required to allow Wikipedia iirc. 

That doesn't change that best practice is to go to the sources. Also, as I understand it wikipedia always required sources.

22 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Yeah, if you follow and occasionally vet the sources shown, Wikipedia can be a pretty reliable "state of current knowledge" repository. The fact that it's mutable and revisable makes it more valuable than a stack of encyclopedias on any ol' shelf.

5 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Okay I'm back again with the CSM/Saturn 1B problem. Still cannot get it into orbit. Tried removing ablator, supplies, SM is on orbital mode, tried different Mechjeb PVG settings, still falls short.

Honestly, I don't think you're going to get anywhere until you show what you're doing. Show the build, show the dV numbers in the VAB, show the staging, the PVG numbers on the pad, etc. One set of pictures and I'll bet someone here will quickly identify the issue. As it is now, we're all just guessing. The build works for me and for others, so I'm sure we can help given a bit more info.

1 hour ago, Tangle said:

That doesn't change that best practice is to go to the sources. Also, as I understand it wikipedia always required sources.

Oh yeah, definitely. And yeah, but they were unregulated.

51 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Yeah, if you follow and occasionally vet the sources shown, Wikipedia can be a pretty reliable "state of current knowledge" repository. The fact that it's mutable and revisable makes it more valuable than a stack of encyclopedias on any ol' shelf.

Of course, always check the sources yourself.

4 hours ago, CDSlice said:

Reject Saturn C8, return to Agena supremacy

screenshot52.png?width=886&height=498

For real though, although the Saturn and Titan parts are cool and all I really love the smaller parts BDB adds like the Agena upper stages and the different probes. They are so much fun to kitbash with and make the early game much more interesting. You could release them by themselves in their own mod and it would easily be my number one part mod alongside Restock.

Nah, I’m totally making it up. If there really is a lunar Mercury design out there I hope I never have to see it.

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

sure but a 2nd hand source with no accurate cites are fully allowed so Wikipedia is still mob created trash instead of the goals of the founders.   *SHRUGSTAR*

11 minutes ago, shaboi said:

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and I still have an issue where the Gemini OAMS is deprecated.  Is this a BDB mod issue or does something else cause this?

3EZH6bh.png

You are using the obsolete part.  search for LEO instead of Gemini    It may not be unlocked at the point you are either.   Further you are in Parachutes and not in the Control section where the OAMS actually is

also are you DELETING the Bluedog_DB folder yourself or just letting CKAN do it (don't do the latter CKAN is great for installing new things, not so good when things get depreciated)

Also it looks like

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Well I think you will

tKY0IgQ.png

tNpHVdZ.png

I am surprised you didn't use an Atlas G/K and have the Centaur interstage under the SOT-1.875m bucket/skirt.   

I am glad your Pilot had a toilet under the Command bucket :D   Get out and stretch their legs a little :D

6 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Honestly, I don't think you're going to get anywhere until you show what you're doing. Show the build, show the dV numbers in the VAB, show the staging, the PVG numbers on the pad, etc. One set of pictures and I'll bet someone here will quickly identify the issue. As it is now, we're all just guessing. The build works for me and for others, so I'm sure we can help given a bit more info.

Okay here you go.

https://imgur.com/a/6kBoOGd