[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Here's a bit of fun I've been having - Until now I hadn't touched Career mode since v0.24 but BDB has brought back the fun.  I no longer feel the grind using this a the other mods I have installed.  (You can check those out at my site: ksp.federalproductions.com )

I started with Avant-Garde (Vangaurd):

Viklun launchers

launchers-1329-660x564.png

Launching these simple probes:

front_Avant-Garde_3-1-660x657.png

front_Avant-Garde-B2_4-1-660x657.png

Then came ATMOS:

front_ATMOS-II_1-317x1024.png 

front_ATMOS-II-660x656.png

And finally, the side by side launching of the Venture (Pioneer) and Voyager (Explorer) series

front_Venture-1-660x668.png

front_Voyager-I_1-660x828.png

On Etoh (Juno) above and Fenris-Alpha (Thor-Able) below:

front_Venture-3_1-170x1024.png

So far I've had my share of failures and triumphs, just like the real early days of NASA. Soon, Hermes (Mercury) will start suborbital testing!

You can read all about it at ksp.federalproductions.comscreenshot20-660x528.png

screenshot27-660x528.png

Edited by tg626

A minor complaint - aren't Aerospikes renowned for their ability to have the same ISP in both atmosphere and space?

If so, why does the 'Tohces' Aerospike have such a terrible ISP in atmosphere compared to their vacuum ISP?

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

56 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

A minor complaint - aren't Aerospikes renowned for their ability to have the same ISP in both atmosphere and space?

If so, why does the 'Tohces' Aerospike have such a terrible ISP in atmosphere compared to their vacuum ISP?

Probably because it's balanced against the stock aerospike, which also has lower Isp ASL.

Which is pretty weird because in 0.90 and before its Isp range was something like 350 ASL to 360 vac.

I guess Squad decided that it was too OP when they made the atmosphere more realistic in 1.0 and nerfed it, but since then pretty much every mod aerospike has been balanced the same way. Pretty annoying.

15 hours ago, tg626 said:

So far I've had my share of failures and triumphs, just like the real early days of NASA. Soon, Hermes (Mercury) will start suborbital testing!

Nice. Liberal use of hibernate should help with your battery issues on the early probes.

9 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

It's not that they have the ability to have the same ISp in both vacuum and sea level pressure, but rather that they compensate to be close to ideal expansion in both, offering close to the best possible performance from their chamber pressure possible in the given atmosphere. Because of the soup, that ideal performance is lower at sea level than in vacuum, but normally an engine must choose between a large bell for vacuum operations and sea level performance, unless firing at staged-combustion levels of chamber pressure. For instance, balancing a 30-bar, 5.5 O/F ratio hydrolox engine to be ideally expanded at sea level (exhaust pressure=1 atm) would give 353s at sea level, but top out at about 394s in vacuum because the ideal expansion ratio there is about 4:1. At a more normal vacuum expansion for an engine like that, say 40:1, you can get 453s in vacuum, but you see only 257s at sea level due to serious flow separation. The difference is less serious for staged combustion: 270 bar chamber pressure at the same mixture ratio buys 418/455 with the 40:1 nozzle (no flow separation), and a ~20:1 ideal sea level nozzle that gets 439s in vacuum.

Long story short, you will always get lower performance in sea level atmosphere than vacuum, though bonkers chamber pressures reduce the magnitude of the change. Normally you have to pick a case to optimize for since changing from a 6:1 bell to a 40:1 bell is a challenge, but aerospike nozzles are a system that "automagically" does so.

On 1/20/2017 at 9:22 PM, Rory Yammomoto said:

Cool! Git pulling now. BTW, Any chance we get the BLOK IV Excursion model? the 250 cm one?

It's modeled but won't be in this release. It'll be in the next batch of Apollo stuff I make.

34 minutes ago, e of pi said:

It's not that they have the ability to have the same ISp in both vacuum and sea level pressure, but rather that they compensate to be close to ideal expansion in both, offering close to the best possible performance from their chamber pressure possible in the given atmosphere. Because of the soup, that ideal performance is lower at sea level than in vacuum, but normally an engine must choose between a large bell for vacuum operations and sea level performance, unless firing at staged-combustion levels of chamber pressure. For instance, balancing a 30-bar, 5.5 O/F ratio hydrolox engine to be ideally expanded at sea level (exhaust pressure=1 atm) would give 353s at sea level, but top out at about 394s in vacuum because the ideal expansion ratio there is about 4:1. At a more normal vacuum expansion for an engine like that, say 40:1, you can get 453s in vacuum, but you see only 257s at sea level due to serious flow separation. The difference is less serious for staged combustion: 270 bar chamber pressure at the same mixture ratio buys 418/455 with the 40:1 nozzle (no flow separation), and a ~20:1 ideal sea level nozzle that gets 439s in vacuum.

Long story short, you will always get lower performance in sea level atmosphere than vacuum, though bonkers chamber pressures reduce the magnitude of the change. Normally you have to pick a case to optimize for since changing from a 6:1 bell to a 40:1 bell is a challenge, but aerospike nozzles are a system that "automagically" does so.

And, to expand on the clarification - I pulled the stats for those engines off of astronautix (since all BDB engines used real world ISP and are balanced with mass)

http://www.astronautix.com/j/j-2t-200k.html
http://www.astronautix.com/j/j-2t-250k.html

17 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Paying my screenshot tax of my manned Eve mission, to god emperor @CobaltWolf

Very nice! Can't wait for the day I'll be able to see my Skylab in game, but until then @Angel-125's is a good substitute. :)

17 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Any chance on us getting ejectable SLA panels? :P

2 hours ago, Jall said:

I *think* Cobalt was thinking about it a little while back.

I did, yes. Another one of those things that got lost in all the different ideas and tasks for this mod.

I realize this isn't really a divergence from standard operating procedure for me these days, but just a heads up, I'm not sure how much progress will be happening in the next couple weeks. In addition to my course loads, I am trying to prepare my resume/show reel/essay to apply for a year long NASA Animation Fellowship that would start this summer immediately after I graduate. The submission deadline is in a few weeks so I need to book it to catch up! Hopefully BDB will be featured? :)

38 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I realize this isn't really a divergence from standard operating procedure for me these days, but just a heads up, I'm not sure how much progress will be happening in the next couple weeks. In addition to my course loads, I am trying to prepare my resume/show reel/essay to apply for a year long NASA Animation Fellowship that would start this summer immediately after I graduate. The submission deadline is in a few weeks so I need to book it to catch up! Hopefully BDB will be featured? :)

What is an animation fellowship? does that mean making models/animations for NASA?

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Very nice! Can't wait for the day I'll be able to see my Skylab in game, but until then @Angel-125's is a good substitute. :)

With a bit of creative finagling, raidernick's Skylab works well too. :)

aXAeCwx.png?1