[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

19 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

What engines are you having trouble with? Some of the first stage engines might not have bottom nodes, but as far as I know, almost all the engines have them.

Like the J-2, actually you're right they might be first stage only i'm sorry i wasn't thinking about that ^^ 

1 minute ago, IronCretin said:

The J-2 isn't first stage, but it uses an interstage, so it might not have a bottom node. I'll load up my install and check.

Okay thanks :) i know there is a trick to do that (to join two stages when the engine doesn't have a bottom node) but i don't know how to do it 

Nothing special i was building a simple 2 stages, with a payload and i took the J-2 and there was no nodes so i decided to investigate and see if i'm the only one to get this issue :) but nothing important really just wondering why 

i haven't screenshots sorry :/ 

Oh, uhm. This is embarrasing. I was in such a rush to get the Saturn parts out, I never had a chance to make autoshroud interstages for the new engines... So I might not have given them any bottom nodes.

BUT... I just checked the part on my end, and it says that it has a bottom node. Can you open the bluedog_J2.cfg in your Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn folder and tell me if it has this line (line 15)

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.955, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

20 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, uhm. This is embarrasing. I was in such a rush to get the Saturn parts out, I never had a chance to make autoshroud interstages for the new engines... So I might not have given them any bottom nodes.

BUT... I just checked the part on my end, and it says that it has a bottom node. Can you open the bluedog_J2.cfg in your Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn folder and tell me if it has this line (line 15)

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.955, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

yes i have the same line, i'm gonna check in the game :) 

Edit : Oups ! it wasn't the J-2, my bad, i'm really sorry, they are fine ! 

Edited by Alex38

18 hours ago, Alex38 said:

yes i have the same line, i'm gonna check in the game :) 

Edit : Oups ! it wasn't the J-2, my bad, i'm really sorry, they are fine ! 

Good to hear. :)

Everyone, @FullAuto556 has given me permission to use his awesome film in the OP of the thread. Please check it out if you haven't already. :)

TG626's album is incredible! But it was Apollo 7, not 11.
Quiz time! How do I know?

Can this mod do a 100% accurate Apollo 11? I'm not sure it's even possible without using two mods or a plugin though. I had to use two mods for mine in Alexandria. (Can't say too much yet without ruining the quiz.)

2 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

TG626's album is incredible! But it was Apollo 7, not 11.
Quiz time! How do I know?

Can this mod do a 100% accurate Apollo 11? I'm not sure it's even possible without using two mods or a plugin though. I had to use two mods for mine in Alexandria. (Can't say too much yet without ruining the quiz.)

The panels don't fully separate?

12 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

Bingo!
Can that actually be done without infernal robotics or a new plugin?

We actually think so - it might be possible using the special rules for moduleJettison set up for the LVN engine's autoshrouds (I don't remember what the specifics are). How well it would work... we don't know. It's one of the many things I've been procrastinating on lately. :)

I feel like such a newbie asking but is this mod design to be flown manually or MechJeb or both? The reason why I’m asking but I can’t get a Hermes/Etoh or Hermes/Muo into orbit while using MechJeb. I’m just not sure if it’s the flight path or the mod.

Thanks,

19 minutes ago, Jall said:

Look at FASA I think. If I remember correctly, they jettison the panels. (No idea if it's a plugin or not though)

I think it was setup so that you attached 4x panels as separate parts, with the jettison force set to push them away. Certainly a solution, not one that I would prefer. Part count on Saturns is high enough.

@Felbourn I specifically chose to do the animated petal adapter instead of the jettisoning one since I thought the animated petals were cooler. :P

5 minutes ago, Turk_WLF said:

I feel like such a newbie asking but is this mod design to be flown manually or MechJeb or both? The reason why I’m asking but I can’t get a Hermes/Etoh or Hermes/Muo into orbit while using MechJeb. I’m just not sure if it’s the flight path or the mod.

Thanks,

I can't say that it's meant to be flown in any particular way. Hermes/Etoh is designed to be suborbital, it was used to test the reentry capabilities in real life before attempting a full orbital mission. Muo needs to have its booster engines+fairing decoupled, usually ~20km above the ground. You may also need to add more fuel to the Muo by inserting extra fuel tanks; it can't make orbit with just the large one + the adapters at either end alone.

Edited by CobaltWolf

30 minutes ago, Jall said:

Look at FASA I think. If I remember correctly, they jettison the panels.

The real panels did not jettison until they had opened, which FASA did not do. In other mods they are simple extra parts with decouplers. That's easy to set up. An Apollo 8 and later petal adapter would slowly animate opening, and then jettison once fully open.

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I specifically chose to do the animated petal adapter instead of the jettisoning one since I thought the animated petals were cooler.

You're 100% right on that!

Been a little bit of a lurker here for a while. Only just started using RSS and I was wondering if there is an 'all in one' mod to get BDB  to work (orbit) with RSS. I've trolled back through the forum and there seems to be a mention of one but I can't find anything else. I'm using real fuels also. I work remotely for a month at a time so I want to make sure that I can use BDB (which is amazing btw) for my next stint away.

1 hour ago, md530f said:

Been a little bit of a lurker here for a while. Only just started using RSS and I was wondering if there is an 'all in one' mod to get BDB  to work (orbit) with RSS. I've trolled back through the forum and there seems to be a mention of one but I can't find anything else. I'm using real fuels also. I work remotely for a month at a time so I want to make sure that I can use BDB (which is amazing btw) for my next stint away.

I'm glad you like it! We currently have very basic support for RO on their side. A few of our engines were patched thanks to my good friend @Niemand303. Other than that, no. 

3 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I'm glad you like it! We currently have very basic support for RO on their side. A few of our engines were patched thanks to my good friend @Niemand303. Other than that, no. 

OK, thanks for that. So how does everybody get on with RSS or is the basic support you speak of good enough to run through NASAs early programs? I'm only really running real fuels not the full RO overhaul as it seems it isn't fully compatible with 1.2.2. The thing I like about BDB as opposed to FASA is the ability to build the early Saturns as well as Titan I and Vanguard. I see there is a .cfg file to give everything the real world names, just curious as to how I implement that.

1 hour ago, md530f said:

OK, thanks for that. So how does everybody get on with RSS or is the basic support you speak of good enough to run through NASAs early programs? I'm only really running real fuels not the full RO overhaul as it seems it isn't fully compatible with 1.2.2. The thing I like about BDB as opposed to FASA is the ability to build the early Saturns as well as Titan I and Vanguard. I see there is a .cfg file to give everything the real world names, just curious as to how I implement that.

Just drop the real names file in your gamedata folder. I really need @Jso to confirm/deny what exactly is working for us. I believe he made a config that scales the rockets properly when using a full size solar system? But I don't think we have any real fuels compatibility apart from some of the older engines. You'd have to ask those fellas, or even look into pulling the stats from somewhere like Astronautix before your trip and whipping them up yourself. I'm sure they'd appreciate the help haha.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Bluedog_DB

Unfortunately it looks like those patches that @VenomousRequiem mentioned are dependent on Realism Overhaul and not just RF.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Just drop the real names file in your gamedata folder. I really need @Jso to confirm/deny what exactly is working for us. I believe he made a config that scales the rockets properly when using a full size solar system? But I don't think we have any real fuels compatibility apart from some of the older engines. You'd have to ask those fellas, or even look into pulling the stats from somewhere like Astronautix before your trip and whipping them up yourself. I'm sure they'd appreciate the help haha.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Bluedog_DB

Unfortunately it looks like those patches that @VenomousRequiem mentioned are dependent on Realism Overhaul and not just RF.

Sorry to be a huge pain in the rear end, I'm not really up there with how stuff works within KSP. Given that I'm running RSS in 1.2.2 and want to run BDB, what would you suggest I do? Given that it's impossible to orbit at the moment, I'd kind of like to find a solution haha. Really appreciate the help so far

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

On mobile so briefly... What's in the repo is good up to 6.4x, not beyond. That would require rescaled rockets. There's a Saturn rescale, but that just makes it 64% like everything else and is intended for 6.4x. We really need to do a point release, were sitting on a lot of good stuff.

9 hours ago, Jso said:

On mobile so briefly... What's in the repo is good up to 6.4x, not beyond. That would require rescaled rockets. There's a Saturn rescale, but that just makes it 64% like everything else and is intended for 6.4x. We really need to do a point release, were sitting on a lot of good stuff.

OK, so if I understand correctly, there isn't a fix at all for the full size RSS yet? I did look at the .cfg files to see if I can do it myself but it made my brain hurt.... In fact, I couldn't even work out where to start.

Edited by md530f